What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is mine, it was laying about 20 ft from the post , in the ditch.

IMG_20190918_101553833.jpg
IMG_20190918_101634408.jpg

Jim

At the farm, Pops put his mailbox on a spring loaded hinge. Whenever something hits it, it just swings out of the way. Then you just go out and re-set it. Won't solve the kids who hit the box with ball bats, but it helps with the maintenance vehicles and the stupid drivers...

My uncle had his mounted on a a pole that swung from the road into the yard. He had a rope attached to it and he'd pull it around into the yard to check the mail before dinner and didn't swing it back out until morning.

Last edited:
My uncle had his mounted on a a pole that swung from the road into the yard. He had a rope attached to it and her pull it around into the yard to check the mail before dinner and didn't swing it back out until morning.

It was kinda like this except the ground post was straight so he could swing it 360° and was just inside his fence.

http://www.diymailboxes.com/swing-away-mailbox/

rural_swingclear_mailbox_post.jpg

After getting my tractor and snowblower ready for the coming season I went out and found I had a flat. Small crack in the sidewall. Off to the tire shop for a tube. Was frustrated but kept telling myself better now than having to lie in the snow to change it.

A sweet elderly neighborhood man said he has to get his mail at the post office because the kids have destroyed his mailbox. I noticed on his street that his wasn't the only one whacked and the mailbox door hanging open for over a year now. What's the use of replacing them if they are continually destroyed?
Mine however, remains intact.

A sweet elderly neighborhood man said he has to get his mail at the post office because the kids have destroyed his mailbox. I noticed on his street that his wasn't the only one whacked and the mailbox door hanging open for over a year now. What's the use of replacing them if they are continually destroyed?
Mine however, remains intact.

We had to get a PO box because of mail thieves.

Oh no! Put a camera in a tree near it ans see who the little felons are.
They Sheriffs dpt has caught several people out here. It happens in spurts. You'll be driving down the road and start seeing mail boxes open and at the end of the road there is a pile of mail tossed on the ground. We have also had a delivery woman that wasn't making her run, she's come out once or twice a week. She would toss all the mail in her trunk and go home. One of her co workers caught her.

Last home they didn't have home delivery. Some places would ship UPS no matter what and UPS would mail it so it always wound up being returned. We finally started giving them the street address but made them use the zip+4 for our PO Box and we got it delivered somewhere.

Back