What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my truck over to carburetor expert this morning... It should be ready by Friday, no biggy, I'll drive the '02 until then. I couldn't call the carb guy this morning. Over night the phone company added a new area code to my area. Now I have to use the 3 digit area code for some numbers, 1+ the 3 digit area code for other numbers and yet other numbers I don't use anything but the old prefix...

It's a mess all over 3 counties! :mad: The only number that worked like it did before was the phone company number so I called and yelled at them! :mad::mad: It didn't change anything but I felt better! :rolleyes:

I got the dog house finished... a new bed and camo paint. The camo paint was an experiment.

dog bed (2)_v1.jpg
dog camo (1)_v1.jpg

Did some cleaning
Did some laundry
Made cookies
Sat outside because it was gorgeous outside today
Made crab cakes for supper
Hubby tried to go the DMV. He forgot it was a "holiday"
Think I might go to the dollar tree store tomorrow
Can't get over how bright it is in the house with the awnings down lol Its always a surprise when we do it every fall

If I have to work, shouldn't they? (Heehee) I don't begrudge them other than I think it's rather a made up holiday for a day off.

Hey now! It's not a made up holiday! It gives us government employees a break between labor day and veteran's day. If anything we need a couple more strategically place Federal holidays.

A made up holiday is Alaska Day in Alaska in 4 days. Right @Caribou? Isn't every day in Alaska, Alaska day? ;)

Started off the morning with doing the banking, paying bills, transferring money to varying accounts for bills, groceries and savings.

DH then did a load of washing each and hung it on the clothesline to dry and DH brought it back in. I set off the grey water pump to water another section of the back lawn and DH moved it a couple of times to new places.

This afternoon we caught up on a few scripture lessons and will continue to do more tomorrow too. Tonight's dinner was the other half of our homemade quiche and dessert was the clearance strawberries we purchased with whipped cream.

I have a laundry room to clean out and am procrastinating. Fed the majority of the animals, mailed our taxes, and picked up husband's prescriptions. All in the large pickup truck that has a driver's window that refuses to go up. So husband took the Challenger today. Have an appt at the dealership on Thursday to get it fixed. Meanwhile, I had to take everything out of it that could possibly be taken if I'm parked. Old man cat has fallen asleep on my lap and is not budging.

Yesterday morning, I went to Walmart and picked up the new roaster oven to make mass quantities of dog food. Stopped at thrift stores--nothing. Stopped at Dollar Tree, then bought gas and then visited with friend in nursing home. Got home at 1 pm, ate lunch and then helped make 2 huge pans of sloppy joe base for our Fall Fest at Church on the 30th.

Today, I have done laundry for the week and made cookies for DH. Will do some eBay photos and then am buying an air fryer for $20 from a lady on facebook this evening--she will deliver--I know her.

Tomorrow, I am making Pumpkin Applesauce in the slow cooker to can, then taking my okra down so the young man can till up my garden this weekend. Want to plant a little mustard and collard greens before putting it to bed for the winter. Still haven't addressed one single Christmas card so I better get on that.

I got tired of resting.

Back in the Spring, wife bought this little gas grill, for $25.
We only cook on it like once or twice a month, so it works great for just the two of us, she cooked chops, pork tenderloin, burgers and hot dogs all summer . Maybe 12-15 times on one little bottle of propane.
She bought another for shtf , because she likes it so much.

But she had it sitting on my firewood box .
I'll be needing to get into it soon, so I had to mfg a stand for her grill. Used left over from building the deck. Took me about 30 minutes.
She's happy...I'm happy
IMG_20191015_152751576.jpg
IMG_20191015_152817107_HDR.jpg

Jim

Recover from bustin my butt yesterday cleaning and rearranging the garage.

Usually takes 2 days for full recovery.

May blow 2 or 3 leaves off rear deck. May wait till there's more.

May sit on front porch for a while..

Jim
Be careful Jim. I've been getting bruised from bumping into things. And cabinets doors are the worse. Cleaning windows yesterday I got one puncture in the am can't see side views. I walk too fast. Learning to slow down.

We put up flour today used Food Saver on that and froze some meat we got on sale. Still really miss driving. Holidays coming up so dr appt is after Jan.

Hey now! It's not a made up holiday! It gives us government employees a break between labor day and veteran's day. If anything we need a couple more strategically place Federal holidays.

A made up holiday is Alaska Day in Alaska in 4 days. Right @Caribou? Isn't every day in Alaska, Alaska day? ;)
My week consists of six Saturdays and a Sunday. Holidays come and go without notice around here. Exceptions are Memorial Day and Labor Day when the flag goes up or comes down. Thanksgiving and Christmas are noticed because we feed people here or are inviter there. We've had our first frost and the tourists have flocked south for the season so everyday is Alaska Day for the next six months.:thumbs:

My week consists of six Saturdays and a Sunday. Holidays come and go without notice around here. Exceptions are Memorial Day and Labor Day when the flag goes up or comes down. Thanksgiving and Christmas are noticed because we feed people here or are inviter there. We've had our first frost and the tourists have flocked south for the season so everyday is Alaska Day for the next six months.:thumbs:

So , sounds like your trying out for GEEZERHOOD club.

Your just at the fuddy duddy stage.

Fuggidabout Geezer Club.

Jim

Climbed up on the roof today and cleaned the flues with the weather forecast we will have our first fire tomorrow night. A few years ago I'd been all over the roof like a gray squirrel. The older I get I'm starting to act like a ground squirrel!

flue 1.jpg

flue2.jpg

flue 3.jpg

When Jake got out of school we went to a secret grove of American Chestnut trees I found a few years back and harvested some nuts to send to a friend out east. He wants to get some started on his farm.

cnut1.jpg

cnut2.jpg

cnut3.jpg

The master bedroom is taking longer then planned to pack up and declutter. Since it was the largest room in the house (seriously the largest!) we used most of it for storage with our bed in there in the corner. 75% of the room has been packed up but we allowed for 7-8 days to pack each room. The master has taken over a week and a half. But then we are getting rid of a lot and trying to stop just throwing junk in a box and moving it. We plan to make up time when we pack the girls' rooms since there is very little in there besides toys and clothes.

I did find the fabric baby wipes I made when we had Roo. I washed and striped them then packed them up for SHTF potty wipes. I also stashed a couple dozen cloth diapers for future babies (grands not mine) and washed all the birdseye diapers for use as feminine pads for SHTF. I made my own pads years ago out of birdseye diapers and flannel fabric. I figure I'll stash the makings for new ones and if the need should come I'll whip up enough for the girls and I.

Son took out our big ficus tree from our atrium today. I've tried to kill it a number of times, and it kept growing back. He dug out a 5 ft long root. So now I have 2 large Bay Trees in it's place. Excited for the constant supply of bay leaves. He also seeded the ground around it with mints and coleus. That ficus constantly had aphids. The bay trees repel bugs. Important to me, since it's in the house. I have 2 more dirt plots in there, his goal is to plant it all in food of some sort.
Thinking he's in denial I'd like to sell the place and move to the farm.

Latest posts

Back