What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm back!!!
Had computer problems(black screen), got temporary fix for that.
Then had Internet problems finally got that worked out to my satisfaction.
Lastly had neighbor problems, hopefully that will be settled sooner than later.
Been to see Neurologist for pinched nerves.
Still a Heck NO Go on exploratory surgery on neck and spine.
Pinpoint blocked nerve first then we'll talk surgery maybe.
Otherwise had good check from Neurologist.
I am within 11.5 pounds of the high end of my Army weight.
Hopefully by the end of the year will hit it.
Then will move on to the second weight goal.
Had lunch out with friends today to celebrate my birthday.
Then picked up Grand daughter, took ice cream and cake to oldest son's house to celebrate with the grand daughter and the bonus grandchildren.
1 dozen yellow Peace Roses, 1 package of shower fizzies, insulated coffee cup, pair of socks with aloe in them.

Had to have an uncomfortable conversation with a lady I've had a few dates with tonight. I had to tell her there's already a beautiful young woman in my life, she's 13 years old and she calls me dad. I just can't make enough room in my life for my daughter, my job, and a relationship too. Luckily she seemed to understand. And I'm considering myself off the market. My daughter needs me, and I need her just as much...
You have my respect, that's a hard conversation.

Happy Birthday, Mo! Glad you had a nice day, and glad you're back.

Got home. 7 hr drive. Children Youth and Family left a msg on our land line wondering if I received their text of conditions (last Friday) and am I agreeing to them (no). I told that lady I'd be out of town. I'll call her tomorrow, and maybe she won't be by after all on Friday morning.

It’s been a long day… quiet morning then brunch. I had to go to the big town this afternoon for a stop at the power equipment shop. I got a new chain for the power saw and a new spark plug.

I got a new pull cord, new chain and spark plug for the pole saw. I’m going to need it when I take down the 2 trees against the hay barn. I did a little math… that sweet gum is closer to 40ft tall. It means a ladder on top of the barn to take it down in sections. I’ll break out the safety harness for this and a few lanyards for me and the saw. At least it’s a pole saw, the chain is far away if I fall. I spoke with my great nephew about it… He’ll be here with plenty of rope if something goes wrong.

I got a spark plug for the pressure washer that won’t run. It’s probably that the carb is gummed up from storing it with fuel in it. I hope to get everything prepped tomorrow. If the pressure washer turns out to be a big problem I’ll leave it until after I get the trees down.

I stopped at the big box store, got 50ft of 14-2 wire. It’s time I finish replacing the last of the old electrical wiring that was run when we built the house in the 70’s. I’ve been avoiding this section as it’s a big mess. Dad ran a 220-volt line to that tool room then tapped off it directly to wire 110 volts for a bathroom and then lighting/outlets in the tool room and then 2 110 outlets for another bedroom. I cleaned up the 110 circuits already with new wire and outlets… I just have to remove the 220 section all the way back to the breaker box and replace that with a clean 110 feed for that end of my duplex.

Obviously dad’s not an electrician but he did the best he could after a tornado wiped us out… In 9 months he built a house for his kids and another for his elderly parents, a big 16rm duplex on a shoe string budget. He hired out the slab, block and brick work and the finish wood work inside. we did all the rest ourselves, framing, cut the rafters, put on the roof, ran plumbing/electrical/flooring. We were all exhausted... Tornado took us out on 03apr, we moved in on 21dec.

And that’s not all for my list… I got the materials and paint to build and to suspend a little platform 4ft up the side of the coop for 2 laying boxes for the hens. I have to get them off the ground before winter rains set in.

Hopefully by this time next week I’ll have all the major fall projects done… One off the list… my old trunk, then 3 more majors… then one last minor… install one more outlet in my bedroom.

Oops… forgot one… power wash both front porches and the outside window shades, assuming I can get the power washer running… Then it’s sit by the fire time…

I get tired just thinking about it... :(

Last edited:
Driving back to New Mexico today. Hoping the house is picked up. Will be dealing with the run of dead chickens, about a dozen, from something that attacked them. Something with the animals always happens when we are out of town. This time it's gotta be either our son's dog or a raccoon that we've had problems with.
Sorry about your chicsAmish.
So far ours has never been attacked, but our neighbor 40 acre's away had all there goats, chickens killed by a panther about 10 years ago. Florida panthers are almost exstinct and it made me mad they killed it. Could have called and had it trapped and released in the prarie.
We leave our hens for a week and they are fine when we get home. But always worried till we see their ok when we get back.

I love Guatemalan food and other central american foods... I'm also very fond of Mexican food. I could get authentic versions of all of these on the 3 occasions I lived in CA... Here in Bama I get Americanized versions of these, still good but not as good. Still haven't found a place where I see Hispanic people eating, when I do they won't be able to keep me away. ;)

Peanut I like Mex and Asian foods, but nothing beats my good ol American diet.We had a burrito last month and lots of stir fry and fried rice month before that.

Got the winter garden planted and then Monday went and bought dog food ingredients. Monday afternoon made the dog food in the new roaster and let it slow cook overnight. Yesterday, I pressure canned it and the seal failed on one of my canners so I will order another replacement today (I had a replacement for the one that failed). Also, did laundry yesterday and caught up on a few shows with DH.

Anyone hear from Mobook yet?

Have Bible study tonight and nothing actually planned for the next 3 days. I know I will find something to do, but it's nice to have some down time!

We hope to can some beef bones for dogs soon.It softens em up but these tow dogs are too big to keep cooking for. Maybe start hunting squrrel ,won'y havr to go far since the woods are full of them.

Had to have an uncomfortable conversation with a lady I've had a few dates with tonight. I had to tell her there's already a beautiful young woman in my life, she's 13 years old and she calls me dad. I just can't make enough room in my life for my daughter, my job, and a relationship too. Luckily she seemed to understand. And I'm considering myself off the market. My daughter needs me, and I need her just as much...

Thats really considerate and manly of you SpikeD. Daughters need their fathers for sure.
But IMO sacrificng your needs of a companion may not be the best thing to do. Maybe you just didn't like the lady that much anyway.
Of course some are happier alone and thats good too. Just don't ever expect your kids to take up the slack later on.

Floors have been dust mopped for dog hair.
I am in wonderment that she isn't bald in areas(like all over), but she's not.
Steamed mop the floors in the kitchen, bathroom.
Washed dried and put away two loads of laundry.
Went thrift store shopping got me new(with original tags still on it) Navy Pea Coat for $5.99
Original price $196, thought that was pretty good deal.
Also got pair of long jeans for $2.99 so for less than $10 I have a coat for winter and a pair of jeans.
Just need long sleeve shirts another couple pairs of jeans then should be pretty set for winter.
Maybe some hiking boots too. Those are on wish list.

I sweep up enough dog hair every day to build a toy dog. I don't know how they aren't bald or why they are shedding going into winter.

I sweep up enough dog hair every day to build a toy dog. I don't know how they aren't bald or why they are shedding going into winter.
I'm thinking all the dog hair I dust up everyday there should be another dog in there somewhere.
But there isn't.
Then she shivers when we go outside to take care of her business.

Steamed mop the floors in the kitchen, bathroom.
Washed dried and put away two loads of laundry.
Went thrift store shopping got me new(with original tags still on it) Navy Pea Coat for $5.99
Original price $196, thought that was pretty good deal.
Also got pair of long jeans for $2.99 so for less than $10 I have a coat for winter and a pair of jeans.
Just need long sleeve shirts another couple pairs of jeans then should be pretty set for winter.
Maybe some hiking boots too. Those are on wish list.

Great deals MoBook.

Our shedding hairy cat amazes me. Don't know where it comes from. Dogs are primarily outside, except at bedtime. Our heeler is pushing an empty metal bucket around on the patio right now to let me know it's time to eat. Mouse running around in our bedroom, and I haven't caught it yet. Talked to local caseworker today, and she talked to California caseworker, and they MAY let me forego all the foster licensing nonsense since I won't do any of it anyway. They will let me know next week. But California said that they at least want photos, fingerprints, and copies of our driver licenses and social security cards. So, tomorrow a.m. we get the inside of our house photographed. Was grocery shopping all day, and need to clean some. Was surprised to see Sams Club was out of their 25 and 50 # bags of white rice. Hope they restock. Time to feed the heeler.

I got nothing done I’d planned for today. I woke up exhausted, bad headache, even my bones hurt after 3 days of doctors, scans, big chores. Only one thing helps me on a day like today, I went plant hunting at one of my favorite places. A man I’ve known my whole life owns 300 acres down this creek, farms both sides. I have permission to hunt medicinal plants on it whenever I want.

I was out of yellow root (Xanthorhiza simplicissima) so I went to harvest a bucket full. I posted about it here last year… https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/yellow-root.1526/

It was beautiful down on the creek, temps hit 40 degrees last night so I knew cottonmouths would be moving slow (Agkistrodon piscivorus, pit viper) so it’d be safe to go in there alone.

I was just about done when I busted my backside. I saw a plant I’d never seen before. In my excitement I slipped on the rocks, a big slab. The water was only about 6 inches deep so nothing broke my fall. It hurt all the way to my shoulder blades. Ouch!

That water was cold, my rubber boots were full and I was soaked to halfway up my back. I had on a small pack, pistol, a small machete type blade. I also keep a gallon zip lock for my wallet, keys etc, water proof and if I lose them they will all be in one place.

Anyway, I harvested enough yellow root to make about a pint and a half of tincture.

Creek Bucket (1)_v1.jpg
Creek Bucket (2)_v1.jpg
Creek Bucket (3)_v2.jpg
Fc wet clothes (1)_v2.jpg
Fc wet clothes (2)_v2.jpg
Gear 02_v1.jpg
yellow root (1)_v1.jpg
yellow root (2)_v1.jpg

I got nothing done I’d planned for today. I woke up exhausted, bad headache, even my bones hurt after 3 days of doctors, scans, big chores. Only one thing helps me on a day like today, I went plant hunting at one of my favorite places. A man I’ve known my whole life owns 300 acres down this creek, farms both sides. I have permission to hunt medicinal plants on it whenever I want.

I was out of yellow root (Xanthorhiza simplicissima) so I went to harvest a bucket full. I posted about it here last year… https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/yellow-root.1526/

It was beautiful down on the creek, temps hit 40 degrees last night so I knew cottonmouths would be moving slow (Agkistrodon piscivorus, pit viper) so it’d be safe to go in there alone.

I was just about done when I busted my backside. I saw a plant I’d never seen before. In my excitement I slipped on the rocks, a big slab. The water was only about 6 inches deep so nothing broke my fall. It hurt all the way to my shoulder blades. Ouch!

That water was cold, my rubber boots were full and I was soaked to halfway up my back. I had on a small pack, pistol, a small machete type blade. I also keep a gallon zip lock for my wallet, keys etc, water proof and if I lose them they will all be in one place.

Anyway, I harvested enough yellow root to make about a pint and a half of tincture.

View attachment 27492 View attachment 27493 View attachment 27494 View attachment 27495 View attachment 27496 View attachment 27497 View attachment 27498 View attachment 27499

Peanut are you ok now? Glad you found some of what you were looking for. I can't focus enough to see the Yellow Root but looks like you got plenty.

@Meerkat My butt and back are still hurting. I'm going to be stove up for a few days, sore as heck. But yes, I got all the yellowroot I need. I'll post the yellowroot pics under the thread in Natural Remedies. They will be easy to find later if you want to see them after your eyes are better. I'm fact I'll post a bunch of yellow root pictures under that thread.

I have about a 1/2 dozen other threads I want to start in there... I have the photos... just have to do the write ups.

@Meerkat My butt and back are still hurting. I'm going to be stove up for a few days, sore as heck. But yes, I got all the yellowroot I need. I'll post the yellowroot pics under the thread in Natural Remedies. They will be easy to find later if you want to see them after your eyes are better. I'm fact I'll post a bunch of yellow root pictures under that thread.

I have about a 1/2 dozen other threads I want to start in there... I have the photos... just have to do the write ups.
Well hope its soon you feel better. Good your posting them in your thread, hope to get this vision thing done soon then I can see them. :huggs:
I know smilies are silly but they don't cost anything and it lets peopel know we are here and listening. So I'm corny and silly ,but I like being that rather thn my mean side coming out then I feel quilty and bad.:devil:

@Peanut , glad you didn't do any more damage than some soreness.
We just have to be so much more careful these days.

Anyway, put some of that yelleroot on it and take 2 aspirin , go to bed.
:)

I'm all set for surgery on Nov 20th.
Surgeon was super happy with the first ones progress.
Got my chest x-rays, and labs all done, all meds ordered.

Jim

Not been on for a few days as we are catching up on needed things to be done around the home after so many doctors appointments. DH has had a few depressive days so I told him to get out of his funk and come and help me in the gardens which brightened him a little as he loves gardening. He has fallen in a heap since he got his scoliosis diagnosis and said to me well I am just falling apart. However I am not going to let him sit and play his PlayStation and not move for days on end which is what he was doing.

We have I think on Wednesday cleaned dishes and I raked leaves and DH ran over them with the lawnmower ready to mix into the dried grass for mulching the garden beds. Yesterday we got stuck into spade edging the garden beds and weeding and replanting a few corn, lettuce, beetroot and basil that hadn't come up. We also did a few loads of washing and hung it on the line and I watered the mandarin tree with our grey water and changed the position of the neighbour's grey water hose to water a mulberry tree in the paddock.

This morning and round 1 of today is we started off with bathing the cat which is a 3 monthly episode and she did well and is quite talented at climbing up vertical walls of the bath and walls. I dried her and then to make matters worse in a cat day it was time for her 3 monthly worming tablet half. Boy is that interesting but we worked out that one holding and wrapping her in a towel stops arm scratches of the one holding her. DH tried to get the tablet down about 5 times and she spat it out and then time to change and DH held her and I got it down the second time with a couple of teeth puncture wounds to my finger. By this time poor Tabatha was trembling and got a big cuddle and got set free. She is looking at me as she comes in for little bites of food like I have committed the worst crime in the world. She is sunning herself outside to dry off.

DH went out and gave some of our bread ends to the swamp wallaby and he ate out of his hands which DH brightened up about. I cut some shrubbery for the wallaby and he is happily munching away down there under the shade of a nice bottle tree. Good news is his abscess on the side of his face has popped and is draining itself so he should be feeling better.

It is not over as we need to give her the other half of the worming tablet tonight .

Shortly I will deep clean both bathrooms and the toilet while DH has a nap.

Latest posts

Back