What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a shame you lost the neighborhood market... nothing like the personal touch from neighbors... I hope a chain store doesn't replace it. Maybe the couple can rebuild.

Back from the big box store... got a new saw, framing square, tri-square, dikes, couple masonry bits and my old 10ft tape measure was toast. Oh, and a couple of buckets... always need an extra bucket or two.

cirsaw 3nov19.jpg

Yesterday we started off the morning with DH vacuuming the house and then we stripped and remade the bed with clean sheets and folded up 3 loads of washing. He went and checked on the tap repair next door and it is holding and not leaking. DH also vacuumed the whole house so it sparkles again.

Being Sunday and trying to rest we listened to the wonderful rain beating down on the tin roof and it overflowing the top tanks and running down to the bottom tanks and we probably had about 1 - 2 mm. Got all excited as we heard most places were getting between 100 - 150 mm but not here. They are forecasting rain for most of the day today so here's hoping we catch up and get lots of it today. Locals are in dire straights with lack of water here in their tanks and dams.

We got a letter back from the orthopedic surgeon that he has got an appointment for early December and we are hoping to get a firm diagnosis to take to DVA for yet another claim as the doctor says his scoliosis is likely caused by weight bearing with his military packs when he was younger.

Today we are traveling and have a veterinary appointment for Tabatha the cat to get her yearly vaccinations and DH's physiotherapy appointment. We will give her the new information on DH's scoliosis and neck deterioration so she can work with him on those too.

@Peanut a local chain of grocery stores has wanted to put in a "Market" store here for a while. Their corporate HQ is in the next town over. It would be a smaller store with less selection and meat would be brought in from the big store over there instead of being cut on site. I'm not sure what to think of that idea but there's nothing standing in the way of it now...

Laying in a hospital bed waiting on surgery tomorrow. I didn't have the flu. The pain I had in the lower right rib cage got worse. Wasn't a pulled muscle from heaving into the stool. Gallbladder has stones and infection. Out it comes!

Godspeed and good luck with your surgery. My mother in law just had hers out a couple weeks back.

Lazy L...have a quick recovery! I pray that everything goes smooth for you!
We had a lot of chores this morning, a quick trip to the Dollar Store, and the daughters over for dinner.
Sent grandson out to rake leaves in the front yard, and he found a knife that had been dropped. Sure it was the creepers that was at our door the other night. Guess he thought I'd be an idiot and answer the door so he could stab me with it. Made me mad. I'll be turning that in to the police tomorrow.

Thank y'all for your prayers and good wishes.

I've decided this hospital's primary objective is to get you well as quickly as possible. If you think your going to get any rest forget it.

8 PM I decide to turn in for the night. Between the IV monitor alarm waking me up twice, folks checking my vitals, scanning my wrist band, adding bags to the IV stand and asking if I want anything it's midnight before they leave me alone. One of the IVs is to keep me hydrated which means at 4 AM my bladder demands it time! I just get back into bed when I get another visit to see if I want anything

Now I can't go back to sleep because I'm anticipating the next interruption.

Fugidaboutit LL you won't get any rest till you get home. Yep the IV fills you so you gotta get up and drain. I gained 15 lbs in the 3 days I was in , just fluids.

Get better .

I'm doing nothing today, that overnite trip took it's toll on me.

Not to mention my body still wakes me up at the old time , but now I'm up an hour early. Hate the time change.

Resting

Jim

Laying in a hospital bed waiting on surgery tomorrow. I didn't have the flu. The pain I had in the lower right rib cage got worse. Wasn't a pulled muscle from heaving into the stool. Gallbladder has stones and infection. Out it comes!
Praying for a speedy recovery

Still dealing with this stupid "cold"( since its only day 4). Still don't have my voice back yet ( hubby is happy ha ha) this day 3 for that. At least the sore throat went away ( yay!) I'm chilled even though I have the room up to 77. My hands are like ice. So weird
I feel exhausted all day long. taking mucinex so I am getting phlem out of me( yuk), neck and shoulders ache ( must be from the sinus')
Yesterday I did hubby's laundry and made beef stew. Thats all.
Also took a nap yesterday and today so today I'm playing catch up somewhat
Puppies don't understand why mom doesn't sound like mom( I'm squeaky) lol they turn their heads this way and that looking at me strange lol so cute
I'm drinking fluids like a camel and upped my vit C ( doubled it)
I have things to do this week and I don't have time for this *sigh*

@The Lazy L hope it all goes well. Is gallbladder surgery considered an out patient thing? I mean will you be sent home afterwards? Just wondering

Hope you feel better soon @WVDragonlady!

Today I got some good news at work. I have been trying to add another Sergeant position and it was granted as promotional reclass not as an internal hire. Which means I don't have to jump through 1,000 hoops, I just have to select the police officer I feel is best suited for the job and promote him/her. Which will inevitably result in an new hire anyway. One slot to replace the new Sgt and 1-2 slots to replace the people who felt it should have been them and quit or took early retirement. Happens every time. Regardless I needed another Sgt and the person I have in mind has been with me for 12 years. He should have been a Sgt already but he just happened to have been hired a couple years after our largest retirement/hire in history, so he was always the bridesmaid and never the bride. He is a Corporal/FTO so I am sure he will jump at the promotion.

@Sentry18 glad you're able to get the promotion to the guy you want to promote. Hope your hiring process goes well. My little town of 2,000 only has a Chief and 2 officers. The county sheriff's office takes up the slack. Most of the young guys the Chief hires end up leaving to be deputy sheriffs in a year or two so it seems like we're always hiring new guys...

Putting my house back together from having grand daughter several days in a row.
She and Strawberry bout wore this Granny slick yesterday.
Nobody(little short 2 legged version or the 4 legged version) would take rest yesterday.
So Granny sat in recliner, picked up story book with farm animals(sound effects and all).
Here come Strawberry first, she nestled in on my right side..
Here come grand daughter looking for Strawberry.
Oh! Granny is reading to Strawberry.
Grand daughter climbs up on left side of Granny's lap, nestles in.
Helps turn the page while Granny reads(sound effects and all) to Strawberry.
Got a good solid 45 minute rest.
Both grand daughter and Strawberry snoring contently.

Ha the town I live near is so small we don't even have any police. The county deputies and the State Police cover our area.
Fire dept is all volunteer too ( which doesn't help with the home owner's insurance I can tell you)

Glad I live in a state with Castle Law and CC because it could take at the minimum 20 mins for any police to get here

As I'm just sitting around today, nothing to do... @Sentry18 , if you get in a bind..holler at me , I can help out,
I've have had a few moving violations, many years ago , but I remember them.

Got locked up one night at 17, for hot roddin in front of cops ...burning rubber more than 10 ft. That's what the complaint said .

So I'm qualified , and free...just holler.

Jim

Congrats Sentry. We have 2 officers on duty at night for a village of 8,000. They had to call in 4 more when we had our whacko on the porch. It's a pain to be understaffed.

@Sentry18 glad you're able to get the promotion to the guy you want to promote. Hope your hiring process goes well. My little town of 2,000 only has a Chief and 2 officers. The county sheriff's office takes up the slack. Most of the young guys the Chief hires end up leaving to be deputy sheriffs in a year or two so it seems like we're always hiring new guys...

Ha the town I live near is so small we don't even have any police. The county deputies and the State Police cover our area.

We have 36 officers assigned to this district alone (not counting us desk jockeys) with separate units (not counted in that 36) responsible for highway patrol, motor vehicle enforcement, criminal investigations, wildlife based law enforcement, cattle commission, etc. That number also does not include city cops, the sheriff's office, or the Feds. Most of the small towns around here also do not have their own LEO's. They either contract with the Sheriff or they call on us.

As I'm just sitting around today, nothing to do... @Sentry18 , if you get in a bind..holler at me , I can help out,
I've have had a few moving violations, many years ago , but I remember them.

Got locked up one night at 17, for hot roddin in front of cops ...burning rubber more than 10 ft. That's what the complaint said .

So I'm qualified , and free...just holler.

Jim

Bring a rifle. We're hunting criminals. ;)

A badly needed quiet day... so tired of late... I got another truck load of junk onto the garbage truck... a few more odds and ends to go but the big stuff is gone. I went and exchanged some hardware for my shelving at the farm & lumber store.

This afternoon I did a little tidy work on a few cattle gates, just rested mostly.

The boys brought in round bales all day... couple hundred so far. I think he intends to store round bales up here and keep square bales at the other farm...

Rolled Hay (1)_v1.jpg
Rolled Hay (2)_v1.jpg

Made the eight hour drive on repaired knee on Saturday, will go back home in the morning as soon as it is light (about 7am). Will be longer return trip as there are some heavy snow warnings in places, I am guessing 11 hours return if the forecast is right and I don’t hit any snags. Knee repair is holding up. Pray for travelling mercies if you think of it for me tomorrow.

Back