What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surgery went fine this morning, finally out of recovery and in a room. Dad forget two of his medicines so I'm taking them to him around supper time.

Frustrated... with that boy again. He was here for 2.5 hours. All he accomplished was putting out a roll of hay and pushing up some more dirt over where he buried the cow and calf that were killed by coyotes last week. That's it! I sunk a new gate post, reworked the gate and tightened 30yrds of associated fence for him... That only took me 40minutes.

There are at least 5 places the fences are almost down on the ground that I know of, yet pushing some dirt around with the tractor is more important to him. He just won't listen to me or dad about what needs to be done, not tomorrow, not next week, TODAY. (should have put this in the rant section... :mad:)

I got a christmas shipment in this afternoon... Another stop and shopping is done!

Surgery went fine this morning, finally out of recovery and in a room. Dad forget two of his medicines so I'm taking them to him around supper time.

Frustrated... with that boy again. He was here for 2.5 hours. All he accomplished was putting out a roll of hay and pushing up some more dirt over where he buried the cow and calf that were killed by coyotes last week. That's it! I sunk a new gate post, reworked the gate and tightened 30yrds of associated fence for him... That only took me 40minutes.

There are at least 5 places the fences are almost down on the ground that I know of, yet pushing some dirt around with the tractor is more important to him. He just won't listen to me or dad about what needs to be done, not tomorrow, not next week, TODAY. (should have put this in the rant section... :mad:)

I got a christmas shipment in this afternoon... Another stop and shopping is done!
Glad surgery went well!

When I was a kid, we were so thankful we got a small bag of pecans, or fruit. Maybe a little bag of hard candy....that's it.

But we had great Christmas.

Jim

I always had gifts from my parents and Santa, in large part because they both grew up without. They weren't extravagant gifts but we always had something nice. But I do remember going to church on Christmas Eve as a child and at the end of the service getting a small paper bag containing some nuts, a piece of fruit (usually an apple), and a candy cane. I also remember finding out that for some kids, that was all they were going to get for Christmas. Was humbling.

I got 2 things for Christmas no matter how old I was lol

IMG_20170323_0005_NEW.jpg

So I mentioned yesterday was rough. Today is "saved our bacon Friday." I woke up about 12:30 AM and didn't get back to sleep until somewhere around the 3:30 mark. Alarm went off at 4:40. Service repairman was to be there "between 8-9AM" so I stayed at the house until they showed up - at 9:10 AM. Getting a new water pressure tank. By this point I'm a bit numb thinking it might be a continuation of yesterday. Over the past few days, I started hearing a clunking sound in my car (it's only 10mo. old!) It got progressively worse so I called the dealership which is an hour away. I was concerned about driving it that far not knowing what the clunk was. I took it to our tire shop and 2 of them drove it, heard the sound just about every time they pressed the breaks - a single clunk on driver's side. They got in the pit, jogged beside it with the hood open, etc. and couldn't find anything wrong so didn't know what the clunk was either but said it should be okay to get to the dealership to let them look at it. Called and made that appointment for Monday. Today as I was heading to do some errands and go to PO, I was "testing" it some more. I fixed it! By moving the large hard plastic bottle of water I keep for emergencies so it would no longer hit the jack which is harnessed under the seat. Oy! Am thankful it was an easy fix and didn't have to spend half a day having someone else figure it out.
Also yesterday, Hubby cut and used 3 sticks of 3x3 angle iron that were supposed to be for a different job. He was upset because there were supposed to be 4 sticks. Wasn't until after he had it all welded up, he realized he grabbed the wrong stuff. Today same folks called and asked for another something - using the 4 sticks he originally got for the job. We just ordered 3 more sticks to cover the other job, but we aren't sitting on the 4 sticks of angle that he didn't see. It's all sold :)
And Amen!

Going to go work on my yearly good deed tomorrow.
I can be nice if needed.
Going to work on hoarder's house.
Have to dress as Chinook the Eskimo.
She has no wood cut for winter.
Why, am I not surprised.
I take water, something to snack on.
Don't eat or drink anything in hoarder's house.
Have already worked three weeks, just to get upstairs.
Had to start at the top, so when we start on first floor, have somewhere to put stuff.
Both bedrooms upstairs and the hallway is cleaned.
Just have to vacuumed, furniture deep dusted.
Have started in Master bedroom this week.
Hopefully, will get to living room, kitchen next week.

I was always jealous of my sis at christmas every year because she got one extra present I didn't. Her birthday happened to be Dec. 25th... :(

I have one child who's birthday is just before Christmas. We always leave our family room un-decorated and celebrate her birthday there. We celebrate every child's birthday but she gets just a little extra attention to make sure she feels like it's a separate occasion from Christmas. Most of our relatives try and give her combination gifts for Christmas and her Birthday. Irritates me. I tell her all the time that we can just start celebrating her 1/2 Birthday, she just needs to say so and I will MAKE it happen.

@Sentry18 Sort of funny... we had a family full of birthdays on national holidays or at least close enough to be off work that day as adults. I had never thought of this until today... I can think of 11 off hand but I come from a huge family(mom had 9 brothers and sisters),there were 3 labor days, 2 thanksgivings, 2 on the 4th, 2 memorial days (one of those visited my mom in the hosp last night). It's one of those... think of it once a year but never as a big picture sort of thing. It was always someones birthday with a huge close knit family. Christmas is so big its a little different for a kid and you get gifts. No getting around that.

Last edited:
Today is resting day.
Today is opening day for deer season.
A friend has his 10 year old son hunting on my farm today
I heard one shot just after sun up.
They are still back there.

Gonna watch WWII in HD today on History channel.

Gotta bring in more firewood.
It's fixing to get real cold, break records over next 3 days.

Snug as a bug Ina rug.

Jim

I'm just going to stay in today... got all the critters fed and watered first thing. I'm not going to visit mom at the hospital, cold and heartless right? The hospital is in a town where there is a football game with national championship implications and Trump is also supposed to be at that game. I'm not going to try to drive anywhere near it! I avoid driving there on a regular home game, not today, couldn't drag me there.

So, its just a quiet day here, got wings to cook for the game and extra potato salad. :)

A nice little 4 point! I bet the kid was ecstatic.

Oh yes he was, we had big high fives , and hugs.
Been buddies since he was born.
He traded me fresh eggs for hunting my place.

We been scouting out his hunting area for a few weeks, seen several doe.

He will be back a few more times.

Jim

Went out for breakfast, did the big Sams shopping for awhile. Grandson was with the scouts all day for a Veteran's Day event, and will be in a ceremony Monday, too. Went mouse hunting with our son's dog. Flooded the runs. Chickens 6, dog 7. Finishing up the 3rd book in the Stonemont series by Steven C. Smith. Excellent books.

I have one child who's birthday is just before Christmas. We always leave our family room un-decorated and celebrate her birthday there. We celebrate every child's birthday but she gets just a little extra attention to make sure she feels like it's a separate occasion from Christmas. Most of our relatives try and give her combination gifts for Christmas and her Birthday. Irritates me. I tell her all the time that we can just start celebrating her 1/2 Birthday, she just needs to say so and I will MAKE it happen.

My birthday is right before Christmas and we don't decorate anything until the day after. Swore I'd never have a kid near a holiday... Failed on that one but we make sure to celebrate her birthday so she knows we didn't "forget her".

I had a quiet day, just rested, took a nap this afternoon. Dad came home this afternoon to rest and get a good night’s sleep. An aunt is staying at the hospital with mom tonight. Dad will go back early in the morning and stay until Monday when she will be moved to a rehab center in this county.

Mom’s 9 younger brothers and sisters will be coordinating all transportation, care and arrangements for dad and the new place. My job, hold down the fort... make sure there is plenty of food to eat, clean clothes/towels and places to sleep no matter who stops by… I have all the critters to look after for the foreseeable future. I just hope cows stay in the pasture.

I’m going to finish the wheel chair ramp over the coming days. All the grunt work is done, decking is down, railings are cut. I just have to get a non-skid surface down and mount the railings. It was all done with pressure treated lumber so no painting is required anytime soon.

Last edited:
Work in the gardens today. Took down my cattle panels and pulled the fence post. Mowed off the spots. Also picked a bunch of gourds I got in the trail garden selections from Baker Creek this year. They are a luffa type. I've picked at least 30 or 40 of them. Most being over 12" long. Close to half closer to 20-24". Had a couple over 30" long. I've never grown these before, so I'm hoping I can get them cured correctly. May try and sell a bunch of them. Gave several to my niece last weekend. Trying to get them ready for some mushroom compost to go on it.

I also had to charge the battery on my Kubota. Haven't ran it in a few weeks and The battery is close to 10 years old and is getting weak. Probably replace it this winter. I do have solar panels and controllers to use on both the Kubota and the Deutz thru the winter. I don't run either much in the winter and this keeps the batteries topped off.

A short report on a couple things I tried this year. First is the cow panels. I used them with maters, cukes, and gourds. I was pleased with how that worked out. Typically for maters I used cages made from Concrete wire. They lasted for 20+ years. But I like the panels better. The rows aren't as wide and it's easier to keep cleaned around the plants. So housekeeping is easier over all.

Secondly, I bought some plastic clips to use to hold the vines up on the panels and hold them off the ground. They worked very well. Pulled them all off today and was very easy to remove. I got these off Amazon and I am imressed with them all the way around.

Yesterday was house cleaning day so I deep cleaned the bathrooms and toilet while DH vacuumed the whole home. We then washed the dishes and dried them and put them away and boy there were a few of them after cooking a lot during the week. We also put on a load of washing each and hung it on the clothesline to dry. Once dry we made the bed with clean sheets and folded up the 2 loads of washing and put it away.

Today was church and we had a good morning and I had a meeting with RS after church to meet stake member and we all had a bit of a snack together which was good. I have done a few church emails to friends I visit and to other friends so that is all done.

Back home where DH cooked up a vegetable and tuna bake and we put in homegrown silverbeet and sweet potato from our last property along with tinned mushrooms and corn and of course tinned smoked tuna too. Dessert was ice - cream.

Good morning all,
It is a wonderful day in the neighborhood.
Got a crew out in country doing three things:
1. clearing fence row of dead trees and brush.
2. dead trees are being bucked up as firewood.
3. Stack wood accordingly.
Here at my house the dehydrator has been refilled with Bok Choy cabbage, radishes.
I'm up, dressed,teeth are in, drinking hot cup of coffee.
Strawberry is laying besides me stretched out, snoring.
She's still tired for being in the country 10 hours yesterday.
Need to get the clothes out of dryer, get them folded, hung up put away.
Have to figure out something to do with leftovers for supper.
Then the refrig will be cleaned out too.
Will have to run to Wal-Mart for a few things.
Then visit with my dad, get my work done up for the following week.
Will be spending the next week and half in the country, cleaning on house.
Then the first week in December will start cleaning on the house in town.
My place for cleaning is piece of cake.
But I do something on it everyday.
I also make out a schedule to keep myself on track.
Medicine is set up for the week.
Medicine is reordered for next month.
Moved up surgery date on right knee.
Tentavite it will be 2 days after Christmas.
Trying to get meals in the freezer so don't have to worry about cooking a lot.
Going to country has thrown that schedule off by quite a bit, but I'll get there.
I don't want them cooking for me, after seeing their houses.
If nothing else there's always Pizza Hut delivery.
Everybody have a safe and wonderful day.
P.S. Thank you for all that served, and those that are still serving.
I know I'm a day early, but depending on how tired I am tomorrow as to whether I will be on here.

Latest posts

Back