What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laptop is in the shop. It did an update a few days ago and I could never get back online again. Took it in and a tech couldn’t figure it out, so it is there until they figure something out. It maybe time for a new one. I have been working on one family line history book, writing biographical pieces, adding in images of the documents I have been collecting. Since laptop is in the shop I am working on sorting papers, shredding and recycling. I am not used to using my phone for everything, but it gives me a chance to get more proficient at it.

If you were only closer! I tear out so much, next week I have a full set of granite counter tops I’m tearing out because the woman just couldn’t live with the color. $7000.00 worth of tops that I’ll put in a storage building and get tired of looking at and either give away or throw in a dumpster sometime. It’s really unbelievable how picky some of these old women are!
Got to have some money to replace pricy things because of the color.

Tried out new recipe this afternoon.
20191116_153936.jpg

Deep dish Homemade Sugar Free Fruit Pie

If you were only closer! I tear out so much, next week I have a full set of granite counter tops I’m tearing out because the woman just couldn’t live with the color. $7000.00 worth of tops that I’ll put in a storage building and get tired of looking at and either give away or throw in a dumpster sometime. It’s really unbelievable how picky some of these old women are!
Wow! Its crazy what some people do. We looked everywhere for bathroom sinks but we didnt like anything in the box stores and all the used stuff was in bad shape. We found a matching pair in good shape, and then kept shopping...:D

Last edited:
Exhausted… at least 70 trips up and down stairs today checking on dad every few minutes, making sure he has meds, food etc when he’s supposed to, making sure building crew had all they needed, food, liquid, made one trip to the big box store for paint.

The ramp is almost finished, much of it had to be modified… Dad’s design was a little on the flimsy side. I’m very happy with the changes they made.

One more meal to fix for dad, last round of meds for the evening coming up… and I can finally sit down a rest!

@timmie I was about to ask about you on the “have you heard from” thread. I noticed you weren’t posting. Glad you got a new computer!

@MoBookworm1957 that pie looks great! Hungry now!

Last edited:
Exhausted… at least 70 trips up and down stairs today checking on dad every few minutes, making sure he has meds, food etc when he’s supposed to, making sure building crew had all they needed, food, liquid, made one trip to the big box store for paint.

The ramp is almost finished, much of it had to be modified… Dad’s design was a little on the flimsy side. I’m very happy with the changes they made.

One more meal to fix for dad, last round of meds for the evening coming up… and I can finally sit down a rest!

@timmie I was about to ask about you on the “have you heard from” thread. I noticed you weren’t posting. Glad you got a new computer!

@MoBookworm1957 that pie looks great! Hungry now!
Thank you Peanut.

Went to my event with the Mrs. (which was as awful as expected), came home and changed, went to the man cave to work on guns, wifey said she had to run to the store, later I find an HP laptop with a bow on it sitting on my side of the bed. Card said "Merry Christmas (a bit early)". I am on the new laptop right now. It is a little smaller (14" versus 15.6") but much faster, much lighter, and 5x sturdier. I am very blessed.

My son's birthday this weekend, so after church we are coming home to have lunch and celebrate. His girlfriend is coming over as well (a young woman who may well be my future daughter in law) as she is home from college this weekend. We bought him his own 3D printer as a combination birthday & Christmas gift. I am quite sure he will be thrilled with it. After the festivities we are going to use Disney+ to watch the 1976 version of the Parent Trap in the home theater.

Our daughter's birthday is tomorrow, so family celebration today. She requested ribs for dinner and chocolate cake for dessert. So getting ready for that. Need to do some housecleaning, and stop in at the dollar store.

Apparently this is the weekend for Bday celebrations! I wanted to make ribs too, but the boy wanted chicken tortilla soup. Or should I say his girlfriend wanted chicken tortilla soup (after hearing him brag about how good it was).

My mom's birthday is Tuesday. Won't get to see her till after Christmas, but I sent her a Betty Crocker cookbook, 1950's reprint edition (she likes to look at the photos, and has been trying to steal my copy), and her favorite chocolates.
I also need to make sides for those ribs, enough for our vegetarian other daughter. Thinking of scalloped potatoes, a quinoa salad, fruit plate and some wheat bread.

Still exhausted, just getting worse, now I’m starting to do stupid things. Last night I called mom at the hospital about 8pm to check she was okay. I used the redial function, thumbed through the numbers then hit dial.

A lady named Cindy answered the phone, she’d never heard of my mom. Where’s mom? After a bit of conversation I realized my mistake. I redialed directly to the room my dad had been in before I checked him out of the hospital on Friday. Cindy and I had a good laugh about it.

Got all dad’s laundry washed last night, folded this morning. He only wanted oat meal for breakfast. We had a laugh about something my grandfather used to say about oatmeal. Grandpa believed oats were for horses, not people. Used to day “Get up in the morning, read the paper, have a bowl of oatmeal… That way you can start your day with nothing on your mind or stomach either”. Not sure which he thought less of… the local newspaper or oatmeal.

Got my laundry going. Started a little project last night, replacing the felt in both wall mount gun rack slots. I finished grandpa’s old rack last night and started dad’s old rack this morning. I’ll post the photos here when I finish both. https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/old-gun-rack.804/

I made coffee for the first time in my life this morning (I don’t drink coffee). I made a pot for dad. He drank it black without making faces so it must have turned out okay.

No plans but laundry, tidy projects, mainly just rest.

@Weedygarden way to go! I've never tried to grow saffron.

Just so everybody knows, that homemade deep dish sugar free fruit pie wasn't made with everyday well known fruit.
It was made with fruits out of my pantry.
I make myself try new fruits and vegetables every month.
For more variety in my diet.
This pie was the result of a pantry cooking challenge issued by a friend of mine.
But the fruits are not cherry,apple,pecans,walnuts,figs.
It's a naturally sweet but tart pie.
One fruit is only thought of around the holidays.

Had a good church service this morning. My little church is well blessed with a group of wonderful musicians and singers who can lift the whole building's spirits up high. They were really on point this morning...

Daughter went home with her mom after church. They were given an airplane ride as a gift so they are supposed to be doing that this afternoon. I think it's supposed to be for a half hour or an hour, to tour around the countryside. I'm kind of jealous...

Yesterday we picked our first crop of green beans of about a kilogram and then 7 bunches of silverbeet and blanched and froze them for 5 more meals of silverbeet and 4 meals of green beans for the freezer. The blanching, washing and cooling water water went out to water the potted herb and fruit trees. DH washed the dishes and cleaned the benches.

We did a little family scripture study being Sunday here and in the afternoon had a baking session and cooked a quiche using homegrown silverbeet for another 2 nights meals and a double batch of choc chip and coconut biscuits for the weeks treats or dare I say it DH's treats as I eat very few of them. DH then went out and put the new chain on the smaller chainsaw.

Last night's dinner was homemade quiche and dessert I had 2 of the biscuits we made and I think DH had about 4 or more :) .

Just catching up. Hubby and I left service Friday afternoon and just returned this afternoon. Went fishing on the Dechutes River. The weather was gorgeous. He only caught 1 trout - was fishing for steelhead. The numbers are horrible this year, but that was our longest get away since last Thanksgiving so was a much needed break. Being out of service made it even better.
@Peanut. Bummer with the "new flood" but Woot Woot with meeting the Dr. :)
@MoBookworm1957 Your pie looks great. I told hubby as I read it "how can you have a sugar free fruit pie?" @Sewingcreations15 you are starting quite the collection of critters.
@phideaux good luck with the new knee.
@lonewolf hope you show pictures.
Okay now I've forgotten all I've read so probably missed some.

I got major house cleaning done today… It was supposed to be a quiet day, so much for that. mopping this morning then dad had some issues and I had to make a trip to the big town to get items for him, a shopping nightmare. I haven’t shopped in the big town on Sunday in years, now I remember why.

I was so tired when I got home. Dad wasn’t feeling like eating supper. I had a fried bologna sandwich w/chips and pickled beets. Couldn’t help it, fell sound asleep in my recliner for a couple of hours. When I checked on dad he’d gone to bed, 7pm. Now he’ll be up by midnight, I'll check before I crash.

Since I’m wide awake… Other than necessary dish washing and garbage removal I haven’t had time for major cleaning and straightening up since the first flood on 25Oct. I got the kitchen, livingroom and bathroom done in the last 3 hours as well as 2 loads of laundry, cleaned out the fridge. Still cramped for space because of flood issues. A large number of items out of the flood affected rooms still clutter my kitchen and livingroom, at least they are far better organized, arranged in the order they will be moved back.

I even got around to my hats… I’ve a wall mounted hat rack in my small dining area with 11 ballcaps, boonie hats etc… Except for rain gear/water proofed items they all got washed along with the slipcover from the big ugly chair.

If I get tired enough maybe I’ll hit the sack by 1am

Busy day here in the country :) for round 1 of today .

Started off the morning with helping our neighbour and cut some more firewood. We will have to roll the logs up the hill to a flat spot as DH is having trouble with the slope and the fact they had a dingo go through it and chunk up all the dirt so it is a very uneven surface for him to work on and we will go back Wednesday and do some more cutting of smaller branches. Before we left we emptied the trailer of the wood we brought home the last time and DH tried out the chainsaw with the new chain and it works a treat. The chains that came with the chainsaw were a heap of do do so it is now replaced with a new chain.

Think I said previously I had a lady ring me up who is a friend of a friend from church to try and find someone who would clean for her and I offered. Today I went and cleaned for 2.5 hours and she was very happy and I was paid cash in hand which suits me. I also re-organised a few things for her,with permission so they were up higher and she didn't have to bend so often with her back condition so she is happy with that. She wants me for a few hours again this Wednesday to sort out clothing with her that she wants to get rid of as she has grown out of them. Looks like it will be a few hours two times a week which suits me and brings in some extra cash that will help with things we have on our to do home maintenance list.

Sitting and relaxing now and will have lunch shortly at almost 3 pm in the afternoon here.

Just so everybody knows, that homemade deep dish sugar free fruit pie wasn't made with everyday well known fruit.
It was made with fruits out of my pantry.
I make myself try new fruits and vegetables every month.
For more variety in my diet.
This pie was the result of a pantry cooking challenge issued by a friend of mine.
But the fruits are not cherry,apple,pecans,walnuts,figs.
It's a naturally sweet but tart pie.
One fruit is only thought of around the holidays.
Cranberry pie?

Latest posts

Back