What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do want to let you all know that I am thankful for each of you. You are a great group of folks - even those I don't always get along with. You all are family to some level and some of you I am proud to call you friends.
Thank you, and I agree. This is a great group of people.

We had a wonderful meal with some of the best food I have ever eaten. There were so many dishes that I took a small spoon of everything, plate was full and I was full. We had to go containers so guests could take some home, and they did.

in the hospital drinking coffee. have a staff infection in leg. trying to get it well.

Yes indeed, get well soon! People usually go to the hospital to GET a staff infection! :D

It happened to me also about 15 years ago. Slipped on the stairs and got a tiny scrap, then a staff infection. Had to take antibiotics through an IV...

Just rest and call for take out food! ;) Keep us posted!

@SheepDog bummer about your pain. I cant imagine not having any of my kids around for Thanksgiving.
This was a different one for me. First holidays after significant life changes are always an adjustment. Ended up going to eldest son's yesterday for our family dinner. I don't know what next year will be like, but I hope it will be better, not that this year's was bad...
Every year it was at my residence, for the past 23 years, except that one year.

Have had a nice break this morning as the kids are all out having adventures and many of the adults are too. There are only 4 people in the house so other than tending to dogs, I have been able to get in some computer time. The younger kids are going to a movie this afternoon and a few of us are going to the indoor range to do some shooting. Otherwise we are still in cook, eat, clean, visit, repeat mode.

Feel better, Timmie. I've had those in my thumb, a toe, and the crease in my arm where I was scratched. I tend to get them easily. Doxy does the trick, I keep some on hand. But it makes my stomach sick, too. When I had it in my thumb, it was so severe, they had to open it up. Painful mess. Can't imagine in your leg.
Patchouli, hope your Thanksgiving was good, even though it was different. Change is always different. I think changing tradition is difficult.
Youngest daughter drug me out shopping today because she needed some new clothes for a conference she's going to next week. We went to one boutique store (Cato) that we like, and no crowds at all. Then to Kohls to finish up the shopping, and the line was 35 people deep. So I stood in line, and she shopped. The lady behind me talked my ear off, so time passed quickly. Came back and had a turkey sandwich. Sent the twins out to repair the duck and chicken run tops. They are tarp and chicken wire, and had 6 inches of snow sag them. Grandson taking off to a friends house, and I think the girls will be watching a Christmas CD. Tried to get a tree today, but the place we go to were delayed getting them set up from the bad weather. We'll go back tomorrow.

Instead of absolute disasters from the floods the 3 backrooms are now manageable disasters. I’ve done a lot of work in all 3 and there is work yet to be done but in small sections.

So today I tackled the 4th backroom! It was designed when we lived on what we grew in the garden, floor to ceiling shelves. There is still a small section used for canned garden food. For the past 30years the rest has been a “catch all” storage room. I started throwing away junk from this room 3 weeks ago. There is still a lot to throw away. For instance, I found 5 artificial Christmas trees and enough Christmas lights to put Chevy Chase’s house to shame… this junk has to go!

Today I also got all my tincture bottles, cleaned and steamed, ready for new labels. I got them boxed and organized. I still have to order several dozen medicine droppers and screw on caps to fit these bottles. At least I now know what I have to order.

Other than that, I rested, listened to music and watched football. A restful day all in all! I think I’ll watch some more college ball tonight.

Pic of the canning room, you think this is bad you should have seen it before I threw away a pickup load of junk. I had to throw away junk to get to the real junk! :D

Can Room (2)a.jpg

@timmie what are you thinking? You need a staff this time of year not a staff infection! Please take care of you and heal quickly.
@Peanut That's a lot of stuff. I had a friend who had cupboards like that. I used to ask her what was in the far left corner. Her reply was something along the lines of "I'm not sure but I'll need it someday."

Get well soon @timmie and glad you have your sense of humour back :) .

Yesterday we folded up 3 loads of washing and put them away, made the bed with clean sheets. I deep cleaned the bathrooms and toilet for the week, DH vacuumed the whole home. I watered the vegetable gardens with the drip irrigation system and hand watered the potted fruit and herb plants with some saved rainwater and some town water. I also got on a load of washing on in the washing machine, hung it out and watered the mandarin tree with grey water pumped from the grey water tank.

In the afternoon we went to the RSL club and had a few soft drinks. Last night's dinner was rump steak and a side of pasta and sauce and eggs and dessert was some ice-cream.

Last night saw some great grocery deals on Black Friday specials so bought a gift card giving us 5% off and saved another $29.50 by doing an online specials grocery order on items we were low on.

Last edited:
One guest family just left, another is preparing to leave, and a third will be leaving later today. It was nice to have them here, it will be equally as nice to reclaim my home and reestablish our household routine. I am also glad they all elected to return to their respective homes today rather than tomorrow, giving us one day to relax before getting back into the grind of normal life.

On a side note my wife is a level 10 entertainer so she had prepared crazy amounts of food, deserts, snacks, etc. She told everyone not to bring anything. But everyone apparently felt obligated to bring food so we have a ton of food stuffs we were not planning on or expecting. Almost none of which was even opened or touched in any way. We have a table set up in the breezeway that is stacked with stuff. Some of it will be eat or let the kids have, some of it I will take to work for the break rooms, and some of it will probably donate to the food pantry. Like the 3 huge tins of cookies and the 2 large plastic buckets full of Bavarian pretzels.

We slept in today.
Didn't get up till around 0830 hours.
Strawberry got up later than me about 1030 hours.
Just a lazy day.
Going to deep clean the bathroom for the week.
Not too bad, but grand daughter has been in training pants yesterday.
That was a surprise for her when pee ran down her little leg.
It was also a surprise when Granny smacked her butt, for being mean to Strawberry.
It kinda smarted.
No padding to protect.
But all in all we had pretty good success with the potty training.
Strawberry just stayed out of the way for the most part.
Will clean the bathroom and the kitchen.
I'm ready for my life to return to normal.

Last edited:
Made a big breakfast for everyone, went and got a tree, picked up my car from the dealership, getting chores done. Need to pack granddaughter for a 6:30 a.m. flight tomorrow, need to go to our son's open house at work. It's small business Saturday, and he works at a nursery. Will be decorating the tree later. Kids got it in the stand, and lights on it. No easy feat. It's about 18 ft tall. I think.

@Amish Heart That's a big tree!
@timmie glad you're back home.
@MoBookworm1957 Sometimes you need lazy days.
We spent a good part of the day trying to get our old 8N tractor to run. New starter, battery, plugs, carb kit, and now it won't turn over like its the battery again- Grrrr. It's such a cool old thing. Don't know what's up. We don't have a 6V battery charger so that will likely be next :(
Otherwise a cold but pleasant day.

daughter and i have got to get busy. we have a small freezer we have to empty. we took out a turkey to put on the grill tomorrow. also going to make a big pot of chili and can some of it. we have a lot of deer meat left from last year.since it is packaged really well; it can last 2 years in the freezer,i think we will only keep backstraps and grind the rest that we get this year. x boss man gave me some beef fat. i will use boston butt for sausage or some of our pigs.

Latest posts

Back