What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Peanut ,soundst like things are starting to get lined out a bit for you,
@Bacpacker , hope the wife is getting along better.

I been on pain pills again for 3 weeks today. Stopped them Tuesday and had to go back, too early.
Hard to catch up.

Just had a lousy day...I have those sometimes , just feel lethargic, :dunno:

3;weeks today, walking great without any help.

Really getting cabin fever now. Need to get out.
:lil guy:

Jim

@Peanut ,soundst like things are starting to get lined out a bit for you,
@Bacpacker , hope the wife is getting along better.

I been on pain pills again for 3 weeks today. Stopped them Tuesday and had to go back, too early.
Hard to catch up.

Just had a lousy day...I have those sometimes , just feel lethargic, :dunno:

3;weeks today, walking great without any help.

Really getting cabin fever now. Need to get out.
:lil guy:

Jim

Jim don't go too fast, take care.:huggs:

Jim don't go too fast, take care.:huggs:

It's so amazing to stand and walk with full weight on both my knees now and that old excruciating pain is not there.
Up and down stairs ...no pain

If you have bad knees , bone on bone pain...I would get replacement in a heartbeat.... totally worth it.
dancing chicken

Jim

I got my wood splitter!! I had to meet the driver 11 miles away at the paved road because the truck was to long. It wouldn't have made the twists and turns. BUT I HAVE IT!!

Praise be! Took long enough though. :cool:

Yesterday, we left work a skosh early and drove 2 hours over a snowy pass to see Mark O'Connor & band - exquisite! Just in case: he is one of the best fiddlers of our time. It was a great show in an historical venue. We slept (sorta) for a few hours in a hotel and left by 4:30AM so we could be to work today. Not sure I've had enough coffee, but totally worth it. And anymore, there aren't many things I think are worth staying up past bedtime for so it must have been good :)

Also,
Splittin' party at @Terri9630 's house - congrats on finally getting it!
@Peanut I never even thought of getting a 50# bag of rock salt from supply store. Total DUH moment going on here. I make homemade ice-cream year 'round for hubby so we go through it. I will be looking into that for sure. I think it's $2.29 for 1/2 gal (ish) in the store. Anyhoo, thank you for mentioning it.

Pulled up urnips did some weeding around the ones I left in.Cleaned them cut up and put in pot. I don't clean greens off stems like I use to though. I figure as expensive and quesionable greens are nwo in stores why not cook more stems too. I bet they are good for you. Smell really good cooking, turnip greens about only thing we grew this year. Nothing else came up. Got plenty of turnips for our turnip egg omeletts.Will freeze them and use as needed.

Niece came to pick up mom and take her to doctors appointments this morning... Wheel chair ramp had a good bit of slippery frost on it so I opened the bag of rock salt and just hand spread it on the frosty spots. They melted right away.

The ice melt products are usually sodium chloride with a few additives. I've seen them as high as $25 for 20lbs. Rock salt is mined sodium chloride that usually has little naturally occurring calcium. Most agriculture/feed stores sell it for around $6 for 50lbs. TSC sells it for around $9 for 50lbs (I checked yesterday).

In my case I want it to kill or stunt the growth of grass under the wheel chair ramp... a good thing. I can't get the riding mower under there anyway.

Other than that... a much needed quiet day. Maybe later I'll mop. I had to get another deep fryer so I'll probably make wings for supper.

Still working on remodeling the old apartment in my work shop. I’ll finish the flooring tomorrow evening and then hang and paint the base trim. It’s going to make a pretty nice little hang out place.
F7955EA0-6922-48A3-AE97-7542FA575AB4.jpeg
EFF5F7A7-DEE0-40C6-9A32-0169B9849881.jpeg
B5C03206-E77B-4DC1-8863-510B777587B8.jpeg
C4242B7D-A7C8-4C34-9863-16767D4178BD.jpeg

I am having some big time problems with web loading.So may have to be offline for awhile it is too agrivating till I get it fixed. Otherwise be here when till it gets worse .I have plenty o help with some of our members so after holidays will try to study up on thinggs. Maybe I'll be able to see better then.

@Meerkat For many years I have followed Dr John Christopher and the Herbal Legacy website and was a student at the School of Natural Healing.
This isn't advice, but maybe you would be interested in finding out more about using herbs for your eye problems. Many different ailments that I or my family has had have been healed, cured or made better by following recommendations with herbal formulas from Dr. Christopher's teachings. In other words, everything I have used or tried no matter where I got the herbs from, worked.

https://herballegacy.com/Eye_Ailments.html
"Herbal Eyebright: Dr. Christopher's Herbal Eye-Health Formula: This formula is excellent for helping to brighten and heal the eyes, and it is known to remove the cataracts and heavy film from the eyes: Make tea and put into a glass eye cup. There will be a slight burning sensation when using the cayenne in the eye at first, but there is nothing to be concerned about. Tip head back and apply the eye cup to eye. Exercise eye while doing this as though you were swimming under water. Do this three to six times a day. Drink 1/2 cup a.m. and p.m. This formula has aided many sty cases. [HHH p.114]"

My husband used this formula at one time for something that was bothering his eye, not cataracts.

https://herballegacy.com/Herbal_Eyebright.html
You can purchase any of the herbs from any herbal store, online store, etc. I wish you luck. Take it easy on the cayenne, maybe don't use it at all for the first few days. I know some herbal people are against cayenne but carry on. You can make your own formula or purchase it.

@phideaux doing well weight bearing on both knees already, but take it a bit easy and don't overdo it says the other overdo it mate being me :LOL: . Just rest up on the days you can't seem to get motivated and take your pain medications as they really do help. I can understand your thoughts on them and we only take them for as little time as possible too.

@Flight make sure you take care of that bite and bathe it in salty water and put antiseptic ointment on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Dog and cat bites have a habit of getting infected really quickly.

@Terri9630 wohoo your log splitter has arrived :) . Sounds like the saga we went through to get ours and you will love using it they are fabulous and save so much time and energy.

@Meerkat hope the internet problems get better for you. We have that here and sometimes it just takes ages to do anything depending on how many people are using it.

@hashbrown renos are looking fantastic :) .

@Bacpacker hope you wife's pain is better and she is doing well.

Last edited:
Yesterday we had a fantastic day out together and a nice time visiting our friend who also had a knee replacement operation a few weeks ago as well. We went there to ascertain the families needs as DH and I are her home and visiting ministering Brother and Sister. Found she was in bad need of some water to be delivered and maybe some air conditioners in the home to be installed too so we have passed that on as our ward is trying to give everyone that needs it free water for their tanks for Christmas.

While we were down there we went and did a trip through some of the smaller towns and had a wonderful time and also had lunch at a truck stop. Lovely big hamburgers and a good serve of chips.

Back home where we did almost nothing as it was so hot from being on the road all day.

Round 1 of today is we woke up at midday, yep must have needed it. DH has vacuumed the whole home and I have stain removed some clothing, put on a load of washing and hung it on the clothes line to dry. Just had some watermelon for fruit for lunch and will have some bread rolls with avocado and Vegemite shortly for lunch.

@Sewingcreations15 , I just want to tell you that I enjoy reading your posts.

We had a friend of ours growing up, they have passed now, from Australia, and all the time I'm reading your post I am hearing your Aussie speech....which i must tell you, that I always needed an interpreter.
But I never forgot that language .

Anyway I hear you when you post. Gaday matee, Git on with the Barby.:cool::)

Jim

Thank you @phideaux I am told I have a cross between an English and Aussie accent as my father was English but born in Ranikhet in India near the bottom of the Himalayan mountains.

You are not alone I think most need a degree to understand the Australian language. Gidday Mate :) let's throw a steak on the barbie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back