What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure that prayers are the largest part of my doing so well after congestive heart failure and I strive to pass on prayers to all of you because of God being so generous to me. My DW has been going through hip and leg pains, so I do massage for her nightly. At least I'm healthy enough to do that and rub on plenty of muscle soother, V'Tae brand, it has Arnica and other good things in it that really reduce pain and it smells good too. The only place we've found it for a good price is www.vitaminlife.com it's called Muscle Soother Massage Lotion.

Last edited:
LASIK pills everyday now.

Yep, those will get the water off. I lost 22 pounds in 10 days when I was in the hospital for my procedures.

@phideaux Jim please do take care of yourself. Big prayers for you.
@MoBookworm1957 Bet that feels good and is a bit of a relief. Maybe Strawberry will get to come home soon.

Hubby got me a pedicure for Christmas so I went to that first thing this morning. It was wonderful. That's the 3rd one I've ever had. The first one was awesome, second not all that pleasant so I was up in the air as to what to expect. Glad it was nice. Also, hubby was so cute, I think he was as excited for me to go as I was. I love my feet rubbed! When my kids were little, I would pay them a nickel to rub my feet, then a dime, quarter- little turds got big enough to figure it out and would say $5 or something silly which I didn't do.

BackL down here they will jump in the boat with you.:fun fun:
The water is pretty cold right now so the fish will be very lethargic and bites will be few and far between but any day spent fishing is good.
Also, I have been told God doesn't count days fishing against your lifespan.

Well, just so you don't think I was BS'n about the elk, this is the first time we've seen them on our property during day light hours, there was around 8 browsing, all of them very close to the north side of our home.
DSC00005 (4).JPG

Well, just so you don't think I was BS'n about the elk, this is the first time we've seen them on our property during day light hours, there was around 8 browsing, all of them very close to the north side of our home.View attachment 33277
They sure are amazing critters aren't they?

I'm resting, whew it's been a busy 10 days. I'm on the record for being couch potato (probably mashed) tomorrow.

People here got so much worse troubles than me, but I'm gonna complain a little anyway...

Landlord calls me yesterday, there's been a leak somewhere in the floor between my apartment and the business below me. The plumber couldn't get in to the hallway that leads to my stairs from the outside. Ok, fine, the business has a door into my hallway. They let him in. He's the maintenance guy, so he's got a key to my apartment. There's a broken water line, water's shut off now. Ok, fine. Landlord lets me know about it. I can shower and use the bathroom at the gym a block away for one night. Everything should be ok...Then I get home, and I can't get into my own place. Apparently the the deadbolt got f'ed up when the maintenance guy was trying to get in. So I have to find a place to stay tonight. Im going to drive up to the farm. Tomorrow I'll come back and go in through the business like the plumber did. Hopefully it all gets sorted out by tomorrow night...I didn't need all this after driving 13 hours from Colorado. Trying to keep a level head...

But then I see what others are dealing with here, and I don't have it too bad. My problems are just annoying and temporary. Prayers to all of you dealing with far more serious things...

But that is annoying after a 13 hr drive. Hope you can get in tomorrow, Spike.
Little granddaughter came home sick from school, horrible cough. She's miserable. Have an appt for her in the morning. Sounds like bronchitis. No wheeze, though, checked with a stethoscope. Started her on albuterol in the nebulizer. She needs an antibiotic, though, I'm sure. Realized I didn't have any liquid fever reducer. We all swallow pills here. I'll have to stock up on liquid stuff tomorrow. Turned down dinner. Her mama called her and made her upset. I asked her what she said, and she said mom was upset that she was sick and she wasn't here. Not sure what to think of that, since mom was usually falling down drunk. But it made granddaughter cry, and she doesn't need that right now. Twins went to bed early and both madder than heck. Report cards came in the mail today, and granddaughter needs work on her geometry, and grandson needs to study more in French. Both were irritated that we were irritated. Neither, of course, ever bring home homework, and never have to study for tests. Hmmm.

People here got so much worse troubles than me, but I'm gonna complain a little anyway...

Landlord calls me yesterday, there's been a leak somewhere in the floor between my apartment and the business below me. The plumber couldn't get in to the hallway that leads to my stairs from the outside. Ok, fine, the business has a door into my hallway. They let him in. He's the maintenance guy, so he's got a key to my apartment. There's a broken water line, water's shut off now. Ok, fine. Landlord lets me know about it. I can shower and use the bathroom at the gym a block away for one night. Everything should be ok...Then I get home, and I can't get into my own place. Apparently the the deadbolt got f'ed up when the maintenance guy was trying to get in. So I have to find a place to stay tonight. Im going to drive up to the farm. Tomorrow I'll come back and go in through the business like the plumber did. Hopefully it all gets sorted out by tomorrow night...I didn't need all this after driving 13 hours from Colorado. Trying to keep a level head...

But then I see what others are dealing with here, and I don't have it too bad. My problems are just annoying and temporary. Prayers to all of you dealing with far more serious things...

Spike you have a right to your complaints too its not like we have a patent on problems . Hope you find a plaace quick.:thumbs:
:huggs:Good night sweetie! Sweet dreams!!!
Same to you doubleR and glad you stopped in before I left.:huggs:.
@Weedy and all :huggs:.

A quiet day, got plenty of rest. I started the prep work for my new stove that is supposed to be delivered on Thursday. I called the big box store but they could tell me nothing about my delivery which is supposed to be free. In short, I have no idea if things are on schedule.

I cleaned behind the old stove so I could see the gas line (LP). Dad and I installed the old stove, maybe 8 or 9 years ago. There is only room for one person to connect the lines and I got stuck holding the flashlight.

Learned something new today. There is a gas cut-off valve (in a closet) just on the other side of the wall from the stove. Last time dad and I turned off the gas at the tank outside, didn’t know about the valve. The valve should make this easier, we’re having severe cold weather, good thing I don’t have to kill the gas to the whole house (heat).

I’ll cut slides so I can get the stove moved a few inches without damaging my hardwood floor. I plan to have everything ready when they get here with my stove. I paid $30 to take the old one away. All they have to do is take the old one outside and bring in the new one. I’ll connect the gas line and position the stove. The factory LP conversion kit came last Friday so good to go there.

Monday we went down to the back paddock and cleaned up some more cacti and put it in the bin and put the bin out and did the usual garden watering and washing of dishes in the home.

Yesterday we had planned to fertilise the fruit trees but DH had to take some paperwork to the RSL advocate to have ID witnessed and we gave him the form to send away for DH's superannuation disability claim. It depends on whether they accept it and they take into account the military compensation payments he has gotten from DVA since they medically discharged him. So we will see if anything comes of it or whether he gets any payment.

After finishing there we stopped in at Aldi and purchased some cat food, chips, some notebooks and some chocolate milk for the drive home. Once home DH had a nap. Last night's dinner was rump steak, eggs, mushrooms and some lettuce and cherry tomatoes picked from the gardens.

Today DH has thawed a lamb roast in our convection oven so we have some cold meat for tonight and likely we will have salad as a side picked from the gardens and some tinned corn. I stain removed some clothing and put on a load of washing and hung it on the clothesline to dry.

This afternoon I brought the washing back in as I heard thunder in the distance and just as well I did as the rain is bucketing down again. The three loads of washing we have done, big bath and a shower we had in the last few days has had the water filled up in the rainwater tank again and they are overflowing for the second time :) .

It is a blessing to see the rain for sure @LadyLocust and our tanks are overflowing for the second time today.

The seasonal creek on our back property boundary is running again and as our property backs onto the creek we own half of the creek and can pump water from it when it is running like this. The second picture is where we are clearing ironbark branches for firewood as the trees have been dropping branches to save them from the drought and here are some photos of our creek -

home seasonal creek 1.JPG

home seasonal creek 2.JPG

home seasonal creek 3.JPG

@Meerkat so sorry to hear about your stroke and that your eyesight won't return :huggs:. I am glad they are sending you for further tests and admitting you to stabilise your condition.

@phideaux follow doctors orders and be good :huggs:.

@Bacpacker glad you are feeling a get better :huggs:.

@Spikedriver hope they sort out the mess with your door lock and you can get in and out of your apartment :) .

Last edited:
Round 2 of today is that we had a break in the rain and fertilised and put lime around all the 3 mulberry trees and mandarin tree planted in the paddock and dug out the trenches around them so they hold more water when we water them with our grey water. I watered all the fertiliser and lime in with excess water from our rainwater tank pool and saved grey water from the washing machine load I had done today.

We also repotted a Valencia orange tree into a larger pot, fertilised, put lime around it and put dried grass clippings as a mulch around the top to keep in the water and also fertilised, limed and mulched 3 miniature potted apple trees.

Still more to do tomorrow and dig out one more tree so it has a good well around it for water too.

Shortly we shall date, rotate and put the groceries away we purchased from Aldi.

I forgot to open the air inlet a tiny bit on the wood stove last night...its down to 62 deg in the house this morning.

Got down in the teens last night.

I'm ready for warmer weather .

Going to check out a car , for a tinker toy today. Taking the slong
youngest grandson along , as they closed school today for BB state championship.

Will have lunch somewhere.

Y'all have a great day .

Coffee time.

Jim

Last edited:
My entire life Doctors have told me to gain some weight.

In 1975 I applied for a position that had a minimum weight requirement of 140 pounds. I ate two hamburgers, fries and a milk shake before being weighted. Exactly 140 pounds.

20 years ago I went for an overdue (according to the wife) medical physical. I weighed 200 pounds with my boots on. Doctor said I could stand to lose a few pounds. Wish the Doctors would make up their minds!

Last year what I thought was the flu was actually a gall stone and a diseased gall bladder. I went 5 days without food from when I had started throwing up to the removal of my gall bladder. Then I was put on a low fat diet until my body adjusted. I stayed on the low fat diet and now I weight 175 pounds in my birthday suit. Thinking about making an appointment for another physical just to see if the Doctor says, "Gain weight" or "lose weight"?

My entire life Doctors have told me to gain some weight.

I am the opposite. When I turned 13 I got into weight lifting and found my body was well suited to it. By 17 I joined the national guard and was told I was too heavy even though I had less body fat than anyone they considered to be healthy. When I got employed in corrections I was told I was too heavy "according to the chart" during the department physical even though I had to have my uniform shirts taken in around the midsection. That happened again when I became a Deputy and again at this department. And now every year when I take the required health assessment (physical) they tell me I weigh too much and that I need to lose some weight. Then my health insurance company sends me junk mail about diet tips and other uninformative crap. Drives me nuts.

Landlord texted me that the maintenance guy should be wrapping things up soon. The leak is in the drain line from my bathroom. Not sure if he had to tear anything up or not. I'll be headed home shortly. There was freezing rain early this morning and It's 60 miles from the farm to my place. Looks like it might be a two hour drive...:rolleyes: hopefully the DOT is out doing their thing...

Latest posts

Back