What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish there were still hardware stores in every little town like this one... My great grandfathers shopped here as did I... Those days are gone..:(

tmp_8519-20190816_144928183469989874838233.jpg

I wish there were still hardware stores in every little town like this one... My great grandfathers shopped here as did I... Those days are gone..:(

View attachment 35079

I'm with you, Peanut. We had a great hardware store like the picture you posted in our area. Locally owned. Great people. Very knowledgeable. They were run out by the big chains. Sad to see.

I had a very busy but lucrative weekend. Made some extra to stash away in my EDC, and put a few more stores away.

Still haven't raked my back yard because of weather issues, but the inside of my car looks great! (Clean)

Yesterday, I went to Church twice and made French fries and sweet potato fries to have with our chicken burgers. Set my vitamins up for the next month in little containers.

Today is laundry day and maybe clean bathrooms. Not much else! Got to make more hummus! I love that stuff and a bit better for me than peanut butter, I think.

Grand daughter is out of surgery.
She in a room.
She has a little discomfort, but talking up a storm.
Being her little ornery self towards her 14 year big sister.
Grand daughter is 2 years old.
So relieved that this over.
Daddy and Granny going up later to check things out.
Might find some food, eat, nap.
Snappy1, how do you make hummus?
What's it made with besides chickpeas?
Strawberry seems to think she needs to go back outside for the 14th time today.
Rainy, damp here.

The Gas Man Cometh! I worried about this all weekend. When I checked the tank late Friday there was about 2%/3% left in the LP tank. I was sure it’d run out before we got someone out here.

I found out what happened… When the folks were both in the hospital last November I asked a family member to check the tank as they were going to the house. The word came back to me there was plenty of gas. I assumed they checked it… What’s the thing about the word “assume”?

They didn’t check it… they asked my mom who said the LP guy came by in October. Well he didn’t, he came by in late April and dad didn’t fill the tank then. He only put in 40%. Dad never fills up anything… used to drive me nuts! He’d put $20 of gas in his truck because $20 in 1970 was plenty, might even fill the tank. He'd do the same thing during hay season... He'd say "The tractor was ready for you to cut or bale hay". I knew that meant he only put a 5 gallon can of fuel in the tractor. I wouldn't even check it first, I'd just grab another 10 gallons. If I borrowed his truck for some reason the first thing I’d have to do is stop and put gas in it. I’m the opposite, if I stop at a gas station for a soda I top off the tank while there! My truck is always full of gas or nearly so.

I didn’t top off the LP tank today though. I put in 250 gallons. In June the price drops. I’ll top it off then.

Anywho! They are supposed to move dad to a nursing home today. I hate it but I can’t care for him at home by myself. My niece and mom are dealing with this today. I got plenty to do here at home then go stay with him tonight. He’ll be disoriented and need someone all night.

Last edited:
My local hardware store caught fire yesterday. Have to wait to see how much damage was done and if or how long they'll be closed. Its where I get my gardening supplies every year. Great service and if they don't have it they'll order for ya. Its been there for 70 years now. Hope it comes back :(

They have the usual packets of seeds but they also have an area where they have heirloom seeds in mason jars and they'll weigh you out how much you want on a scale. Thats where I get my seeds. And they have a big section of bins of seeds ( mostly corn), peas and potatoes. I wanted to get my seed potatoes there this year to try to grow them.

Otherwise just been keeping the house clean, reading some and since we've been getting a good bit of rain and winds been having to pick up a lot more small tree branches in the yard. Thats always a "game" the pups enjoy. Watch Mom to see what she wants to pick up and then race in and grab it and run off with it and then chew it up.
Oh well, it gets me out in the fresh air and walking around the yard and the pups love it. They get bored easy so ant new "game" that comes up they just love

Ok,
Shtf has hit my body.
At least it feels like it.
That crud I started with Sunday, I thought could be allergies......well it moved into my chest.
Wheezing, coughing, eyes running a river, nose is a faucet,feel ok, just tired.

Got a call into clinic to see my primary care doctor.

Waiting for call back, better get it checked out.

Probably need an antibiotic.

Y'all just go on with whatever y'all are doing ..I'll be fine...:):coffee:

Jim

Hope you are fin, Phideaux.
I'm finishing up the last of morning chores, and then setting up a bathroom to paint. Husband is at work, so I can air it out before he gets home. Guys are working in the kitchen. Day 6 of no sink, oven, stove, and they said maybe an oven tonight. Don't believe them. Put a pork butt in the crockpot with barbeque sauce.

AH HA..

I just figgered out where I got this crap
Remember last Friday I went to get my double vision checked at Eye Clinic at VA

Ah ha.
Sitting in waiting room with 20 old farts/vets hacking , coughing ,farting , .

Then put my face in that machine with all the lense flippers...hmmmm.
Sunday it started.

Wanta get sick , go to a hospital or doctor.

Jim

Last edited:
Ok,
Shtf has hit my body.
At least it feels like it.
That crud I started with Sunday, I thought could be allergies......well it moved into my chest.
Wheezing, coughing, eyes running a river, nose is a faucet,feel ok, just tired.

Got a call into clinic to see my primary care doctor.

Waiting for call back, better get it checked out.

Probably need an antibiotic.

Y'all just go on with whatever y'all are doing ..I'll be fine...:):coffee:

Jim
Jim I hope you didnt get what I have. Sounds a lot like how mine started. Still haven't figured out where it came from, what it is, or when its leavin.

Grand daughter is grumpy today.
Hope everybody gets to feeling better.
2 more physical therapy appointments this week then see Surgeon on Friday.
Have no clue what day it is for sure.
But know I'm sick and tired being stuck in this house.
Going to start driving on the weekend.
Before PT this morning, took Strawberry outside.
Washed up the dishes.
Having leftover pork loin for supper, twice baked potatoes some kind of vegetable.
Had a glaze of whole berry cranberry sauce on pork loin last night it was delish.
Cleaned out the refrig, cleaned all the shelves, wiped everything down.
Floors have been swept.
Got to fill up my new to me Pure water container in refrig. so I can keep track of water.
I got results of last weeks blood work.
Iron count isn't dropping anymore, but of course it's not going back up either as of yet.
Sitting here working on crocheting blanket panel for new grand daughter.
Will be making 1st grand daughter anew snuggle blanket too.
What I make for one I also make for the other.
Finished the Great Gatsby hat for the new grand daughter.
So will be making Estelle a Great Gatsby hat too.
Oldest son ha borrowed my car several times.
So will be cleaning the car part of this afternoon, tomorrow.
Gives me something new to clean, gets me and Strawberry outside weather permitting.
You'all have a nice day.

Got home from Colorado around 5AM. It was about 6 before I got to sleep, slept till 11:45AM. I feel kind of lazy and worthless about that, but those all night cross-country drives are kicking my tail these days...

I get my daughter after school. Not sure what's on the agenda for tonight besides getting groceries. Whatever it is, it's time with her so it's going to be good!

Two workers taking their lunch break. Main guy is going to Vegas for a quincinera for a relative's daughter the end of the week, so things will slow down, although it's pretty slow now. He said he's giving his daughter a quincinera later in the year, and it'll cost $25,000. I asked him if he'll also pay for a wedding when she's of age, and he said he would. He is no where near wealthy, and I can't imagine people who do this. Hopefully this daughter will support him and his wife in retirement.

That is an expensive birthday / coming out party!

Wanta get sick , go to a hospital or doctor.

About 1 1/2 years ago the medical clinic remodeled and changed up everything. No more front desk, no more manual doors, and no more large lobbies. When the appointment is set up you are told to go to a specific area (like "Area H") each with a different small but open lobby area with wide hallways. The chairs are no longer arm to arm but more like chair - space - chair - space. There are hand sanitizer, mask, and nitrile glove stations everywhere. At first I was weirded out, but it makes sense.

Sitting at the home with dad tonight. He's resting easy. If he's sleeping good later I'll go home around midnight. We're having heavy rains. I need to check the sump pump. Rain is supposed to slack off tomorrow but return late in the day and continue through Thursday. My work never seems to end.o_O

Latest posts

Back