What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoveled snow off the concrete driveway and sidewalks.
Drove to the Post Office to mail tax return.
Hair cut.
Fixed my lunch.
Ordered a Baofeng base station.
Chicken chores.
Collect the mail.
Ran a few tests to see if my new steel roof interferes with our SHTF comms (nope).
Shovel snow again.

Last edited:
Stayed with dad last night, was supposed to tonight but mom wanted to stay with him... I did nothing today but rest.

Dad is doing better. Last night he was more aware, coherent in his thoughts than at anytime since early December. He has very little pain in his back, it's been just over 2 weeks since he needed a shot of dilaudid for pain. He's still not ready for real physical therapy. He managed to sit up in a chair for almost 4 hours yesterday (2nd time). Muscle atrophy is the battle now. He'll still need antibiotics through a central line until April.

Just going to rest tonight... watch some tv.

Make sure you are taking care of yourself. My boss went through something similar a few years ago and it really took a toll on him.

I'm trying my best. Wife is all over it too. It has taken a toll so far, I've dropped 13 lbs (which I needed just not this way) just no appetite nothing taste good, sleeping 3-4 hours a night most nights. Feels like I'm in a fog most of the time. I'm sure I'm overlooking stuff at work and have been relying heavily on my crew to attend meetings for projects we're working on, keeping after me to get stuff ordered, etc. I owe them big time, they are a good bunch of folks.

Meer the wife and her friend had a great time. She even recorded a couple songs and put them on FB for me to watch.

i do appreceiate everyones prayers. You all are a great bunch of folks

I'm trying my best. Wife is all over it too. It has taken a toll so far, I've dropped 13 lbs (which I needed just not this way) just no appetite nothing taste good, sleeping 3-4 hours a night most nights. Feels like I'm in a fog most of the time. I'm sure I'm overlooking stuff at work and have been relying heavily on my crew to attend meetings for projects we're working on, keeping after me to get stuff ordered, etc. I owe them big time, they are a good bunch of folks.

Meer the wife and her friend had a great time. She even recorded a couple songs and put them on FB for me to watch.

i do appreceiate everyones prayers. You all are a great bunch of folks

Good for the wife glad she had some fun its hard on you both when one is sick ,hubby has had his hands full with me for about 6 months now. Also I agree about the ' bunch of good folks ' comment .

Did exercises, then took it easy for while this morning. Then made hummus for me, rice for the dogs, and oatmeal for DH and me. At 2 pm went to a friend's to help organize her pantry. Found out she's a prepper. She thinks she's a hoarder, not me. She has the pantry of my dreams! It's huge with lots of shelves! We worked on it today and I will help again tomorrow afternoon. Probably still won't be done. She sent me home with lots of her extras including a bag of lids and rings! Very productive day!

We swapped weather with you folks out east. We are having the warmest temps since autumn. Supposed to be warm for a couple days. I'll take it. It feels good to thaw a bit.
Snappy - don't you just love pantries? Free lids/rims are always good too.
Jim- you're bored? :oops: I think I was 8 last time I was bored. Can I send you my list? Heehee.
You all take care of yourselves- you need to be healthy and up to par so I can pick on you without feeling guilty 😂
PS Jim did you see all the emojis they added. There's even bacon just for you 🥓

Well, that was fun. My DW was in the shower screaming there was no hot water, I guess the mixer stuck :p Turn it off and back on, it works fine. Glad my shower was warm and toasty :D
Cold showers are almost 911 status - glad yours was toasty, but poor DW. You should fix her some hot tea after such trauma. (I use almost straight hot water- don't like being cold.)

Home, shower, nap, now trying to decide if I want to laugh at the Dimocratic Debate
Well you missed a good one!!!
Nothing like hearing a bunch of people all yelling at each other at the same timegaah .
Reminded me of when we put baseball-cards in the spokes of our bicycles to make that constant noise.

The baseball-cards sounded better though:rolleyes:.
I got a badly-needed haircut today:). Picked up some drugs. Went to visit my financial advisor friend - nobody home:dunno:.
Well, it is Ash Wednesday:rolleyes:.
@dademoss You two should be showering together.:huggs:

That debate was ridiculous. I loved how Bloomie almost said he bought people. That was hysterical. Otherwise, they were all talking at once and were irritating. Watched some of it, couldn't stand anymore, and turned it off. I did watch Trump's speech today, and thought it was weird how one of the guys listed priorities. #1 was increased surveilence. #2 Was proper protective gear. I didn't like #1. Got bathroom upstairs completed yesterday. Finished kids bathroom downstairs today. I did the painting and the after reno cleanup. Today they demolished our walk in shower. It's on an outside wall, with glass blocks embedded, and water got in between all that and after taking off the shower panels, found a bunch of wood frame rot, so they knocked that out. It is now sealed with plastic and duct tape, and leaning pieces of wood. Hoping no critters get past it, I'm tired of animals in our bathroom. Round 2 tomorrow, and grocery shopping. And I'm sure another run to Lowes.

We swapped weather with you folks out east. We are having the warmest temps since autumn. Supposed to be warm for a couple days. I'll take it. It feels good to thaw a bit.
Snappy - don't you just love pantries? Free lids/rims are always good too.
Jim- you're bored? :oops: I think I was 8 last time I was bored. Can I send you my list? Heehee.
You all take care of yourselves- you need to be healthy and up to par so I can pick on you without feeling guilty 😂
PS Jim did you see all the emojis they added. There's even bacon just for you 🥓

Boredom is from being kept prisoner by this gawd awful weather, we just can't catch any good breaks .I think I've seen the sun once in 2 weeks.
Rain nearly everyday.pictures don't do Justice trying to show the flooding in the area .
It was too cold to rain today , so it sleeted.
Predicting 4 + inches rain in the next few days. It is gonna get into the 60s.

I don't care as long as I'm stocked up on BACON.
🐖🐖🐖🥓🥓🥓:chef::chef:

Jim

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1581650439216.jpg

Jim

@phideaux Rain, yep! I've had one of the old tractors ready to plow up the garden for a couple of months now (give or take)... The ground has literally been too wet to plow for at least 2 months. It's time to get early veggies in the ground or at least have the ground ready!

Sleep? what is sleep anyway? My sleep patterns are so screwed up I don't know when to sleep. Here it is 0148hrs and I'm wide awake, should be sleeping, not sitting up with dad at the nursing home tonight.

I sat down after lunch today in my recliner and fell asleep with the remote in my hand before I even got the tv turned on.
dead horse

Last edited:
@Peanut, hang in there buddy. This too shall pass.
Seems like we go through be these hard times , some are short term and some are longer.
It will all straighten out in time. Sounds like your dad is improving.

I'm just sitting here thinking about how good I'm feeling today,
since July.
Finally both knees are REALLY Good, sinus infection gone, got new glasses on the way.

Things always seem to get better.

Waiting for wife to come home from Bible study.

Cold today, gonna warmup this weekend.

Jim

Backpacker, I hope your lungs clear up soon. That stuff can really take awhile. I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you're in a fog. I have chronic fatigue & back in my early 20s I was bordering on Klein-Levins syndrome symptoms. I was in Guam and doctors there sucked- didn't get a diagnosis until I got back to the mainland US. I don't get it quite as often or severe anymore, but I get tired very easily.
Peanut, I'm glad to hear your father is doing a little better. Hopefully he'll continue to improve.
Yesterday I helped my friend assemble a toilet jack and took him to look at a used vehicle to buy. It's some sort of Mitsubishi 2 door thing with manual transmission. While he was test-driving it the belt for the power steering slipped off. It was still under warranty & my friend decided he couldn't afford something more expensive & he didn't see anything else-- seller knocked some $ off the price for it and told us where the mechanic was. Mechanic put it back on, told my friend no charge, and we continued onward toward home (it was about an 1hr20min drive each way). Apparently the belt slipped again but we made it back. Friend has it being worked on now while he's with his fiance for a prenatal appointment. Apparently they can now determine the gender of the baby with a blood test.
Still waiting to see if my friend wants to get a tub/shower & if he wants to try to move the toilet today. I told him to call me if he wants my help & I can bring my tools over.
Phone has been ringing since 6am. Same number over and over. Picked up once & it was a robocall for a political survey. If I wasn't so tired I'd try to remember how to block that number. They called 5 times before 10am and called another time just after. I am not a morning person.

I tried posting a thread about one of my ongoing house projects but kept getting error messages and then this site seemed to be down. I'll mess with it again later when I'm more awake.

How not to start your day: hubby handed me coffee as he started telling me all sorts of things about work (before I actually drank the coffee.) Fixed our lunches and got him off to work. Started a load of laundry then went to change out the garbage - cracked my noggin on the corner of upper cabinet. Brought me to my knees for a second.
Lesson learned - don't take out the garbage!

How not to start your day: hubby handed me coffee as he started telling me all sorts of things about work (before I actually drank the coffee.) Fixed our lunches and got him off to work. Started a load of laundry then went to change out the garbage - cracked my noggin on the corner of upper cabinet. Brought me to my knees for a second.
Lesson learned - don't take out the garbage!
You never actually drank the coffee ?

OMG..

Jim

Feel so much better today.
Not as stiff, so started training for 5 k's that are planned for the future.
Been exercising to various CD's.
Slow and easy.
Have decided I don't really like Physical Therapy routine, so I have switched up to fit me more fluid for me.
Now all these exercises are in better sequences for me, not so jerky for me.
Sitting here in recliner, with weights on both ankles straight out, slow bends.
Weights are 1.5 pounds, figure will work with these for a week or so.
Then go to heavier weight slowly.
Poor Strawberry has walked every step with me so far his morning.
We got get our girlish figures back.
Some day my appetite might come back maybe.
When I went to doctor last week, had lost another 1.5-2. pounds.
7.5 pounds away from my first weight goal.
Finally got some sleep, which I needed badly.
Everybody get well,stay dry.
Peanut, glad your dad is improving.
Amish Heart, so glad they got one bathroom done.
Jim, there isn't something you can bring into the house and work on from your new toy?

@MoBookworm1957 , sounds like you are doing really good with the knee.
That's great.
Keep your goals in sight.

Mine was just to function daily without pain....I'm there.
Need to drop the 10 lbs I picked up while sitting on my donkey all winter.

Done brought in every thing to work on that I possibly could...
It's all body buffing/polishing or detailing work.
Pull all wheels and polish them maybe. But they are big and heavy.

It is supposed to be in 60s next week :green man:

Jim

Ladylocust-- ouch! I have days like that too. Although, I don't drink coffee. I mostly drink water because of my kidney stones and I can't drink caffeine due to cardiac issues. But, I was never a coffee drinker & didn't like sodas so it wasn't much of a change for me.

Glad you're feeling better, Mo. I've had to do those same ankle stretches/rotations. I've messed both of mine up over the years- one took 2 years to recover enough that I could walk without limping. Hopefully the weight loss will continue. I know I could stand to lose about 50lbs. But, maybe I should walk to lose it rather than just stand. :p

@MoBookworm1957 , sounds like you are doing really good with the knee.
That's great.
Keep your goals in sight.

Mine was just to function daily without pain....I'm there.
Need to drop the 10 lbs I picked up while sitting on my donkey all winter.

Done brought in every thing to work on that I possibly could...
It's all body buffing/polishing or detailing work.
Pull all wheels and polish them maybe. But they are big and heavy.

It is supposed to be in 60s next week :green man:

Jim
Jim,
Right now my goal is to relearn how to walk on big toe side of foot, so I don't have pronounced limp.
And get rid of the tightness. Day at a time.
Now that I can do Physical Therapy routine where it makes sense to me, it goes so much easier.
Poor Strawberry walks with everywhere inside my place.
Hopefully next week it will nicer outside so we can start walking in the park together.

Ladylocust-- ouch! I have days like that too. Although, I don't drink coffee. I mostly drink water because of my kidney stones and I can't drink caffeine due to cardiac issues. But, I was never a coffee drinker & didn't like sodas so it wasn't much of a change for me.

Glad you're feeling better, Mo. I've had to do those same ankle stretches/rotations. I've messed both of mine up over the years- one took 2 years to recover enough that I could walk without limping. Hopefully the weight loss will continue. I know I could stand to lose about 50lbs. But, maybe I should walk to lose it rather than just stand. :p
When I drink water, which I admit I probably don't drink enough.
I drink lemon, orange water.
Slice of lemon or orange in glass of water, just makes it more refreshing for me.
I drink coffee, but gave up soda.
Only soda in my house diet 7 up for illness.

Boredom is from being kept prisoner by this gawd awful weather, we just can't catch any good breaks .I think I've seen the sun once in 2 weeks.
Rain nearly everyday.pictures don't do Justice trying to show the flooding in the area .
It was too cold to rain today , so it sleeted.
Predicting 4 + inches rain in the next few days. It is gonna get into the 60s.

I don't care as long as I'm stocked up on BACON.
🐖🐖🐖🥓🥓🥓:chef::chef:

Jim

Jim I hope the sun comes out and rain stops for awhile real soon. We had lots of cloudy days last couple weeks and it depressing but today sun is out and so nice.

Jim I've heard an old saying "3 days of rain will empty any sky." Are you telling me it ain't true :oops: Maybe a good jigsaw puzzle???
@MoBookworm1957 I said a special prayer for you and BP - pretty sure The Big Guy was on it! So glad you are feeling better. BP should also be feeling good soon also :great:
Oh yea, I did drink my coffee, but probably needed another cup. I just drink it in the morning then it's water.

Hello everyone and we have been busy still laying the storm water piping in the yard and now got it all laid in there and a little back filling to do. Been busy also with volunteer work we have been doing with the RSL and DH has had a lot of paid gardening jobs to do. Our grass since we have had non stop on and off rain has needed multiple mowings and we have had to spray for weeds as well a couple of times.

We haven't had a moment to scratch ourselves and DH's energy levels haven't been the best either lately.

Yesterday we did two loads of washing and DH vacuumed the whole home and I deep cleaned the bathroom and toilets. We washed up the dirty dishes in the kitchen and folded up 3 loads of clean laundry and put it away. We have had a huge amount of washing to do with muddy clothing from getting our storm water pipe in and we have had to pick our days for when it isn't raining to do that.

Today for round 1 we have planned to fill in the remaining bit of dirt into the storm water yard trench and have about 15 metres to fill in out of the 130 metre storm water ditch. It has been a priority due to the flooding here to get that done and we also need to clear a storm water pipe under one of our driveways too. We had heavy rain last night and our storm water pipework has worked and we didn't have any flooding :) so all the water is now going out to the creek.

@Angie had no troubles in logging in but thank you for the email I have just not had time of late with work around the home due to heavy rain and flooding.

Latest posts

Back