What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is going to sound silly coming from a man who earned his living with tools, even flying with them to other countries. But… In recent years I’ve come up with basic system for storing tools that works well.

4 tool bags… 1) pointy things, screw drivers, putty knife, box cutters, chisels, punches etc. 2) squeezy things, pliers, wire cutters, channel locks, vice grips, adjustable wrenchs etc. 3) electrical things, multimeter, amp meter wire, spare bulbs, electrical tape, tie wraps etc. 4)wrench bag, both metric & std wrench sets, small socket set, metric & std allens, 2 small plastic containers with specialty tools/items.

I have lots of tools in the shop (tractor repairs or engine changes) and in the indoor tool room (small engine repair, winter projects) but the 4 bags are mobile. I toss the first 2 bags in the vehicle I need to drive that day for normal errands/shopping in town. All 4 bags go in a vehicle when I’m going more than 40miles from home. All 4 bags can be used in the shop or indoor tool room.

There are a few redundant items in the bags and locations, I keep electrical tape, tie wraps and knives or box blades everywhere. All 4 bags are different colors, yellow/pointy, tan/squeezy, red/electrical, bluegrey/sets.

The 4 bags make me mobile for just about any thing that comes up yet still be highly organized at the same time. I can rewire or install a new outlet in the house or repair a busted hay baler in the field. The only thing I have to decide is which bags to grab, squeezy, pointy, electrical or sets. Being mobile and organized is difficult but this approach works for me.

Pic
View attachment 42672
Peanut good idea,no looking all over for that one tool you need.We learned this years ago,well almost.

Did morning walk, etc., watered gardens, pruned everything in the front yard except roses (another day). Lady from a nearby cafe called and wants to talk to me this afternoon- so that is positive.

This afternoon, I will cut up cheese for dog treats, hard boil some eggs, make the beet hummus and maybe some sugar free pudding.

And another day down!

Did morning walk, etc., watered gardens, pruned everything in the front yard except roses (another day). Lady from a nearby cafe called and wants to talk to me this afternoon- so that is positive.

This afternoon, I will cut up cheese for dog treats, hard boil some eggs, make the beet hummus and maybe some sugar free pudding.

And another day down!

I cleaned out birdbath [ Pretty Bird aka crow was complaining about how nasty it was] watered plants I want to live and moved hose up against wall for shade.
Hubby mowed some grass.

Yep, and now we have one less rooster and a water softener unit. The same guy will be installing a new dishwasher next week when it arrives from Lowes, and attempting to fix all the connections in the bathtub spatub, the one that had to be cleaned out after an animal came in under it from the outside wall. Have a new motor for it, but connections aren't right. Got about four boxes packed in-between all the comings and goings happening. Served lunch, cleaned it up, and growled at the grandkids to go get our sideyard raked up and looking good. No sleep last night, and now I'm dragging.

Just got down from the roof. We haven't had cable or sattelite television for years, but that DirecTV dish has been sitting up there doing nothing ever since we cut the cable. I left it up there intending to turn it into a digital open air entenna, but have finally accepted that there is already more stuff on internet TV than I will ever have time to watch. So my oldest son and I removed the whole system, filled the holes, sealed everything up, and tossed the junk into a dumpster.

Now I am sitting on my laptop as my daughters make lemon poppy seed muffins. Not sure why they are doing it, but there must be 48 muffins sitting on the counter. Smells good in here.

Got a pot of chicken noodle vegetable soup going low and slow on stove.
Pulled up thistles in my backyard and the neighbor's backyard.
Got tired of hearing her complain about the thistles, mowers, etc.
Finally told her if you don't like it here because you have to follow the rules.
Then do everybody a favor and just move.
Most of the thistles pulled right out of the ground, no tugging at all.
Still got to sweep the front porch, then my day is pretty much done.
Strawberry has been outside the required number of times today.
She just sat up on the small hill watching me pull the neighbors thistles.
Watched one neighbor walk into clothesline pole three times.
Yep you guessed it falling down drunk.
The same gentleman ended up crawling up the small hill to get to his apartment.
And this is a long weekend too.
Yeah!

The crow aka Pretty Bird who has been hanging around here for couple years now is spoiled. He is mad because Iwon't give him food everyday. I want him to keep being able to hunt and gather his own food so he won't get sick or lazy and be able to survive on his own.
I put his treats usually left over or small pieces of roast his favorite' or a saltine soda cracker,which he likes to parade around in front of hens to show off. He was on post a few minutes ago pecking it to demand his treat.Hawks have been hanging around alot this week ues the drought is affecting their food too. and he will chas them away.

Not for me... I will take a little time for reflection but I will be busy from sunrise to sunset. I am priming the house, garage and shop in preparation for painting all three.

Thanks Meerkat. I needed a little time away from my "duties". ;)

@SheepDog Where'd you go! Glad you're back though.
@Peanut Did you get the oleo and a can of lye?
Had to (got to) drive to Lewiston ID today. Beautiful even if it was windy. There are some counties open that direction, and it was so nice to see shops open again. I'm looking forward to the long weekend (AH Memorial Day.)

Lite housekeeping day, laundry etc. I had to return medical items in town this afternoon. I purchased the wrong ones yesterday. Why? The lady read what was needed off my moms list. Obviously I'm not the only one who can't understand her lists.

I got home in time to cook out on my little smokey joe grill. I plan a quiet evening.

Got a pot of chicken noodle vegetable soup going low and slow on stove.
Pulled up thistles in my backyard and the neighbor's backyard.
Got tired of hearing her complain about the thistles, mowers, etc.
Finally told her if you don't like it here because you have to follow the rules.
Then do everybody a favor and just move.
Most of the thistles pulled right out of the ground, no tugging at all.
Still got to sweep the front porch, then my day is pretty much done.
Strawberry has been outside the required number of times today.
She just sat up on the small hill watching me pull the neighbors thistles.
Watched one neighbor walk into clothesline pole three times.
Yep you guessed it falling down drunk.
The same gentleman ended up crawling up the small hill to get to his apartment.
And this is a long weekend too.
Yeah!
I have been listening to this woman complain since the day she moved it.
And it will be a year next week.
Trust me it's been a long year too.
Hence why I try to stay to my self.
This is the same person who complained about Strawberry barking 45 times while I was regrouping from Knee replacement surgery. Kicker was Strawberry wasn't here during that time, she was frolicing on 20 acre farm outside of town.
Go figure.

@Peanut I really do like that idea of the big bags for your tools sorted out by function or type.
I've got so much to pick through and then there are the electric things you can't really put in a bag or a box, they are too big, and there are a few. Plus all the little things that I have no use for and don't know their use.
I had thought about boxing up all the metal stuff that I don't know what to do with and see if I could get a nickle or dime for it, don't know if it is worth anything.

@Amish Heart this holiday weekend sneaked right up on me too because it is so early this time, the 25th. I'm going to clean and pack stuff to get rid of it.

@Patchouli start a thread somewhere... Tool Stuff. post some pics of the things you don't know, someone here will probably know what they are.

And... have a clear goal of what you envision as the end result... tools for your car, tools for your house or both... types of basic repairs you can handle and would need tools for. You can get organized pretty quickly.

It's been fairly calm at work this week and rainy at the house. I did weed eat last night, one of my least favorite jobs. Don't have a lot planned for the weekend. Will go by the National Cemetary to visit my dads grave, maybe take a road trip Monday.

Peanut, good idea with the tool bags. I have a couple of large tool boxes the bulk of my tools are in. But over the years I have made bags for specific tasks. Cahinsaw bag for when I'm cutting, including a torniquet and Isreali bandage, electrical bag and tool belt, carpenty bags, etc. Easy to find what you need quickly and grab and go when you have a job to work on.

I got a message from my friend. He & his fiance left the 4 kittens (who are now 6 weeks old) in a small box overnight & they crapped all over themselves. A woman who was staying at their house with her boyfriend had been taking care of them and cleaning up after them but she just left & won't be back for a week. My friend said he couldn't deal with it so I went over to clean the kittens up, brought a rabbit run that could be set up to give the kittens more space, put puppy pads on the floor, then went to the store to get a litterbox, litter, a litter mat, & a cat bed for them. In 2 weeks we'll be taking two of the kittens home. My friend has a problem with cleaning up after pets because his ex used to keep a bunch of pets in the house & they were constantly ruining stuff & he was having to constantly clean up after them. He got tired of it & it brings back bad memories of his ex. Plus his fiance was having fits about it. She brings home pets but then doesn't want to clean up after them or be responsible & ends up throwing them outside. They don't have a gated yard so some have been killed by stray dogs & others have been run over. They really shouldn't have pets at all.

I also picked up some groceries. Mention of chicken noodle soup has me wondering if I can use chicken broth along with some of the stroganoff noodles from a pack that got torn open & the sauce pack went missing to make my own.

Gooood morning friends.
Good night's sleep in my own bed last night.

Made it home yesterday just fine. Found out I'm more tired than I thought.
All my grandkids came over to visit for about 4 hours.
I spent 2 hours on phone with VA and hospital sorting out where and when I will be getting my new meds. Beauracy.

The mutt went nutso when he seen me and I let him out to play . You could just tell he was excited to see me.

Got to go back to the VA and get the script for Amiodorone and fill it myself until I see VA cardiologist.

Going to be a busy day.

Hope y'all have a great day.

Jim

Gooood morning friends.

I spent 2 hours on phone with VA and hospital sorting out where and when I will be getting my new meds. Beauracy.

The mutt went nutso when he seen me and I let him out to play . You could just tell he was excited to see me.

Got to go back to the VA and get the script for Amiodorone and fill it myself until I see VA cardiologist.

Going to be a busy day.

Jim

I already knew the ' mutt ' would do that . Glad your home and happy.

Talked to son on phone this morning. He is getting slouchy and I told him to join a gym or even better a dance studio.Him and his friend feef off each others bad habits, When he is not in a plane he is too idle.
He thougt it was funny. he likes this woman but never has time for her because of his job.
I told him 'every girl girls crazy about a sharp dressed man ] and even more so if he can dance!He laughed.
Gues he didn't learn about the heart attack scare he had last week,he was in hospital for a coupel days it was a pulled chest mucle, thank goodness. How soon we forget.
I gave up a few years ago tellign him to find another job!:peace:

Gooood morning friends.

Going to be a busy day.

Jim

That's great Jim, Very happy for you and your dog. That is why they say mans best friend.👍

Last edited:
My parents are coming up for the weekend so the kids are on house cleaning duty, under the close direction of their father, while I complete a couple home maintenance jobs. I was going to pressure wash the house down today but I am going to wait until next week since it is raining outside. Not a factor of wetness, a factor of having an electric power washer.

Wifey is working from home so she is in a world of her own. A world that sounds awful, complicated, and full of math. She used to be a marketing executive, but now she is the director of something or other. All I know is that she oversees several plants that make renewable fuels and the selling/delivery of those fuels. I told her the other day that she needs to climb one more rung on the ladder to vice president of something so she can be my full time sugar momma and I can instantly retire. That's when she told me she was going to start calling me her "Splenda Daddy". Which she defined as a man who is sweet but just doesn't make enough money to take of her. I am okay with that. She clearly married me for my looks, gun collection, and ability to kill home invaders not my income potential.

Later I need to start mixing together spices and wood chips for the barbecue season. My bulk order of spices arrived yesterday and my order of wood chips & pellets the day before. So now I can put together my all-purpose seasoning, my steak & burger mix, and my BBQ rub. Plus I like to mix together my woods depending on what I am cooking. Rain, shine, or otherwise I intend to smoke a couple 7lb turkey breasts lathered in black pepper on Saturday. Plus two of my kids have been clammering for burgers on the grill so I might do those tonight. I have a 3lbs of ground round thawed out that will do the job.

Did walk and video this morning and then pulled weeds and checked for veggies in gardens. Got 1 zucchini and a handful of jalapenos.

A friend in town found 2 puppies and has been trying to get them to a shelter but he doesn't drive, so I contacted the shelter (no kill) and then transported them to their new abode.

Came home and re-arranged items in freezer. Found chicken thighs and some sausage to cook on grill tomorrow.

Went to local hardware for topsoil and fertilizer. Still need to go to local grocery for a container of potato salad as I am not making it. I always make enough for an army and we don't need that!

Latest posts

Back