What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today mostly playing on youtube. Warched a movie ' I Can Only Imagine' and found out most blacks have not listened to our music ,most its Hip Hop and Rap,little Blues and that was funny to watch once they really listened they were in shock as how much they actually liked it.Put a couple videos of it on ' night they drove dixie down' thread.
Read a little on fruit trees.Doctored one of dogs breakout and gave her a bath.

Wife got her kitten today.
She's not thrilled ....it's a tom.
Named him Mojo.
He's fiesty .

Fun day.
The guy was shocked at what I had done to the Vette.
It was fun to drive the curvy backroads , then 20 miles on the interstate.

Had to feed it a Camaro at one point. On the way home...wife almost $hat her pants.

This thing is wicked.
But fun.

Came home planted watermelons , 6 double hills.
Planted 10 hills of canteloupe.

Replanted 3rd time, 2 rows of peas.

Suckered my tomatoes and put straw down around them and peppers.

Doogan was helping.

Wife painted her porch rocking chairs black...were white.

Finally getting to rest ...been a tough week.
The new meds are knocking the crap out of my energy level.:mad:

Jim

Wife got her kitten today.
She's not thrilled ....it's a tom.
Named him Mojo.
He's fiesty .

Fun day.
The guy was shocked at what I had done to the Vette.
It was fun to drive the curvy backroads , then 20 miles on the interstate.

Had to feed it a Camaro at one point. On the way home...wife almost $hat her pants.

This thing is wicked.
But fun.

Came home planted watermelons , 6 double hills.
Planted 10 hills of canteloupe.

Replanted 3rd time, 2 rows of peas.

Suckered my tomatoes and put straw down around them and peppers.

Doogan was helping.

Wife painted her porch rocking chairs black...were white.

Finally getting to rest ...been a tough week.
The new meds are knocking the crap out of my energy level.:mad:

Jim

Glad the cat and vet are good. Hope soon you get adjusted to the meds and feel better.

One good thing about a draght is grass doesn't grow that fast. Bad thing is dead grass doesn't grow at all.
For May, we have only had 7 days without rain.

President Trump

it is an mp 4 i have no idea how to post it from my email
Frodo, the board will not let you attach an MP4 file, you would need to host it on a shared drive or other publicly accessible place like youtube.

...The guy was shocked at what I had done to the Vette
...Had to feed it a Camaro at one point. On the way home...wife almost $hat her pants.

This thing is wicked.
But fun.
drool.gif

My wish: that cats would be spayed and neutered instead of freely populating the countryside, getting hit, fighting it out in the streets, spreading disease, providing chow for coyotes and vicious dogs.
Yes, kittens are adorable. There are over 100 kittens and mommies in the local no-kill shelter. I can't imagine how many are euthanized every day.
Getting them fixed is not that expensive.

Well,,,,Maybe it is fir the best. I must confess I do get carried away. I am a opinionated person who is also hard headed as a billy goat. Some get hurted feeeeeels when I speak da truff

So who ever shut you down is wiser than both of us.

Still working on the kitchen. after epoxy the counter tops I decided the cabinets did not match so now I have a paint brush in hand. painting cabinets a grey

View attachment 42829View attachment 42830
Looks great! Gray is similar to the color I put on my friends' cabinets.
wait !!!!!!!!!!!!
i have kittens. cute kittens. 16 cute kittens
I have buckets full of kittens !!!!!!!!

View attachment 42843View attachment 42844
They are so adorable! If I didn't already have 16 I'd take them all!
My wish: that cats would be spayed and neutered instead of freely populating the countryside, getting hit, fighting it out in the streets, spreading disease, providing chow for coyotes and vicious dogs.
Yes, kittens are adorable. There are over 100 kittens and mommies in the local no-kill shelter. I can't imagine how many are euthanized every day.
It depends on where you live. My vet keeps raising the prices on everything. It's more than doubled. Used to be $60 to get a cat fixed. Last time I got a cat spayed it was $240. When you have multiple cats it gets hard to afford that. The prices on office visits & treatments have gone up at least 15% since then. My brother has a bunch of male cats to get neutered but he can't afford it until he saves up some more $ or we see if there are any clinics that will do it for less that are actually open & accessible to us.
I wasn't feeling great. Forgot my meds for a few days again. Slept in & then went to the grocery store for milk & butter. Was hoping to find blueberry yogurt but they are out. Got some strawberries for Mom bc she said she wanted fruit. Got a toothache & sinus headache now. Waiting for the naproxyn to kick in.

$100.00 each and i am on a fixed income
If i could afford it i would

$100.00 each and i am on a fixed income
If i could afford it i would
I understand. A couple times a year some vets work with local shelters to provide low cost spaying and neutering clinics. I have seen it in TX and back east in many areas. We went from being told up to $300 for getting our dog spayed by a vet, down to $45 at a lower cost shelter.
Maybe you could check with nearest big box pet supply stores. They also help advertise that at times. Check Craigslist.
Some vets are concerned enough to offer it free in some places. I have seen that.
🐱
Check with shelters and vets within 40-50 miles. You might get a lead on something.

@Meerkat I got badly needed rain also. I was thinking of hauling 10 or 12 tanks of water to all the rows I've planted this week in the garden.

I got just over a half inch. That equals 42.5 tanks of water. Happy dance here also.

The down side the electricity went off for 11 hours, tree blew down on the lines. The drain valve on my generator cracked and started leaking gasoline when I tried to start it up. I couldn't run it leaking fuel so I was in the dark tonight.

I did go down to my neighbors and got a young rooster at dark...

Once the power company got the lights back on they parked their big trucks in front of my house at 4am for a long meeting. Woke me up, the dog, everything... Now I can't go back to sleep, going to feel like crap all day, only 3hrs sleep... :(

I understand. A couple times a year some vets work with local shelters to provide low cost spaying and neutering clinics. I have seen it in TX and back east in many areas. We went from being told up to $300 for getting our dog spayed by a vet, down to $45 at a lower cost shelter.
Maybe you could check with nearest big box pet supply stores. They also help advertise that at times. Check Craigslist.
Some vets are concerned enough to offer it free in some places. I have seen that.
🐱
Check with shelters and vets within 40-50 miles. You might get a lead on something.

see the thing is the ignorant town people who come out to the country and drop off animals
we have dogs and cats that get abandoned all the time. when I first moved here I was very sympathetic to the problem and would feed the poor lost critters. till the fed bill got over $200.00 a month. then I had to make some hard choices.
do I continue to feed these animals?
no. I can not afford to
Do i let them fend for them selves?
no. they are used to a bowl of food handed to them. They are food for the coyotes
so what can I do?
I send my wife to wally world to buy groceries and while she is gone I spend the day killing cats, dogs. and burying them
Am I cruel? or are those that drop off these animals the ones that are cruel
cruel is letting them starve to death and be eaten. that is cruel
the buckets of kittens you see will be all gone next month
and my heart hurts when they go

@Meerkat I got badly needed rain also. I was thinking of hauling 10 or 12 tanks of water to all the rows I've planted this week in the garden.

I got just over a half inch. That equals 42.5 tanks of water. Happy dance here also.

The down side the electricity went off for 11 hours, tree blew down on the lines. The drain valve on my generator cracked and started leaking gasoline when I tried to start it up. I couldn't run it leaking fuel so I was in the dark tonight.

I did go down to my neighbors and got a young rooster at dark...

Once the power company got the lights back on they parked their big trucks in front of my house at 4am for a long meeting. Woke me up, the dog, everything... Now I can't go back to sleep, going to feel like crap all day, only 3hrs sleep... :(

We had a little thunder,lightening too Peanut. But also got a fairly good rain,its sill cloudy and chance of rain so at least its not so arid like it has been. Trees got washed off some.
Power company likes to park under a tree in front of our house too. And of course liek you we have to hear them bark but they do get quite once I tell them to.

Looks great! Gray is similar to the color I put on my friends' cabinets.

They are so adorable! If I didn't already have 16 I'd take them all!

It depends on where you live. My vet keeps raising the prices on everything. It's more than doubled. Used to be $60 to get a cat fixed. Last time I got a cat spayed it was $240. When you have multiple cats it gets hard to afford that. The prices on office visits & treatments have gone up at least 15% since then. My brother has a bunch of male cats to get neutered but he can't afford it until he saves up some more $ or we see if there are any clinics that will do it for less that are actually open & accessible to us.
I wasn't feeling great. Forgot my meds for a few days again. Slept in & then went to the grocery store for milk & butter. Was hoping to find blueberry yogurt but they are out. Got some strawberries for Mom bc she said she wanted fruit. Got a toothache & sinus headache now. Waiting for the naproxyn to kick in.

Hope you feel better soon Zanne.

see the thing is the ignorant town people who come out to the country and drop off animals
we have dogs and cats that get abandoned all the time. when I first moved here I was very sympathetic to the problem and would feed the poor lost critters. till the fed bill got over $200.00 a month. then I had to make some hard choices.
do I continue to feed these animals?
no. I can not afford to
Do i let them fend for them selves?
no. they are used to a bowl of food handed to them. They are food for the coyotes
so what can I do?
I send my wife to wally world to buy groceries and while she is gone I spend the day killing cats, dogs. and burying them
Am I cruel? or are those that drop off these animals the ones that are cruel
cruel is letting them starve to death and be eaten. that is cruel
the buckets of kittens you see will be all gone next month
and my heart hurts when they go

The world is full of suffering for all spcies,we use to have strays fixed then give thm away, can't afford it anymore.plus as you say, people drop their animals off out here and we have to deal with the sufering . We ever had one throw a kitten over our fence!

Sounds like you did quite a lot with a low energy level

@Amish Heart ,
I have discovered over the years, when they put me on zombie inducing drugs, that instead of surcoming to the drug, and sitting in my recliner, drooling on myself,
I get up and keep active and as busy as my body lets me , I feel more human.

Wife fussed at me...I told her I'll die working, not sitting in my recliner , drooling.

It ain't easy.
Then I collapse.

Jim

only 3hrs sleep... :(

I got 4 hours and 15 minutes. Definitely not enough!

Already did 2 videos, fed dogs, readied DH's pills for next 2 weeks and made him a pot of decaf. Sometime today, I will tackle my organizing closet.

We had a neighbor at our old house that had over 30 cats. They tore up flower beds, garden and trash. Our city would do nothing.

My sister does the same thing, feeds the strays leaves food out side. She is not helping the cats,just a breeding ground for the strays.
Same thing for some humans too,feed and breed to a life of suffering for them and society. Bring back the share croppers and chain gangs. Insist on help with our domestic animals to ease up on the suffering of both human and animal.
Meantme I'll just listen to more music and less news ,politics.

I got 4 hours and 15 minutes. Definitely not enough!

Already did 2 videos, fed dogs, readied DH's pills for next 2 weeks and made him a pot of decaf. Sometime today, I will tackle my organizing closet.

Snap hope you get some rest lonight or a short nap today.
I have those kind of nights often. If I wake up I usually get up,try again later according to what time it is .

@Frodo my sister used to help out in a city with the feral cat population. A couple of local vets would give free service for the cats, if the cats could be caught. They'd get them all spayed, one of the ears of each cat would be nitched during surgery as a mark of having been spayed. My sister had her time slot of when she'd feed them. This is not uncommon practice. There were several locations for feeding.

I know people drop animals out in the country. Better they end up in your hands than the hands of dog fighters as bait or fighters.
@snappy1 and @Peanut we can get the sleepless night owl club going here. I had a bad one last night too.

The only difference between yesterday and today is the addition of church this morning and instead of smoking turkey breasts I am reverse searing some thick cut bone-in pork chops. The lemonade, loved ones, and laziness continues with no end in sight.

smiley-with-us-flag.gif

Frodo, you might get a kick out of this... since you and I share the same problem.

Across from the house is a one lane dirt track used by hunters and a couple of farmers. As it approaches the highway it splits into a Y. The exit of one leg I can see from my porch, the other is a hundred yards up the hill out of sight.

Since I was a kid people have been dumping animals at the Y. They pull in one leg, stop, then continue out the other leg. I’ve heard vehicles do this countless times.

Few years ago, while sitting on the porch, I heard a pickup pull down the Y, stop, then exit in plain sight of me.

As it happens, I like old pickups that have been restored. A week earlier I noticed one in a yard about 8 miles from me, a ’69 F-100, beautiful truck. I saw it several times that week.

It was the same truck I saw pull out while sitting on my porch. Sure enough, in a few minutes a little dog came out to the highway. I called it and whistled, it came to me. I chained it up to the porch banister.

About 11pm that night I loaded up the little dog and took it home. I remembered where that guy lived! I’d have given anything to see his face the next morning…
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I’ve had a feral cat problem… Since last fall I’ve removed 40+. The last 10 were difficult, they got smarter as their friends kept disappearing... Down to 2 now, my folks want to keep them… There was a little kitten up there at the shop, haven't seen it in a few days, figure a critter got it.

Last edited:
The only difference between yesterday and today is the addition of church this morning and instead of smoking turkey breasts I am reverse searing some thick cut bone-in pork chops. The lemonade, loved ones, and laziness continues with no end in sight.

View attachment 42916

Update: My day has now also included a garden hose, a sprinkler, a slip-n-slide, my kids and several neighborhood kids. We have officially stopped caring about COVID-19. If we die, we die happy and entertained.

Latest posts

Back