What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm up, dressed.
Had a pot of coffee already today.
Strawberry has been outside the required amount of times this morning.
Washed, dried, hung up or fold and put away 2 loads of laundry this morning.
Washer and dryer are leaving my apartment on Thursday.
Oldest son was gracious enough to let me borrow his washer and dryer for awhile.
But atlas he and grand daughter have moved into their own place last month.
And he would like them returned to him.
Okay, works for me.
Wash machine is making sickening metal on metal grinding sound.
Dryer sounds like it needs new belt.
Would rather they quit on him than me.
And if they go to his house it will save me $10 a month on water bill at my apartment.
Then the $10 goes into savings too.
So I'm saving money to purchase a smaller washer/dryer combo.
And while I save my money, I can still use his washer and dryer the one weekend a month I watch the grand daughter at his house. Otherwise I will just go to laundry mat, no big deal either way.
Just got to finish up the dishes.
Get some apples ready for the dehydrator only got about 8 pounds.
Need to snap green beans(5 pounds) get some ready to cook.
Fresh green beans, bacon,new baby potatoes, onions to die for.
I have 2 more payments on my student loan($5500 approx) then that will be paid off in full.
Only been working on that little bill for 3 years.
Then that money will go into savings.
Been reading reports, cross stitching on children's quilt blocks.
Just an ordinary day.
Apples are in the dehydrator.
Green beans are snapped.
Been blanched, cooled off in ice water in the sink.
Getting ready to lay out on cookie sheets to put in freezer to flash freeze for a few minutes.
Drinking my second pot of coffee.
Strawberry thinks she has to go outside again.
But it's raining cats and dogs right at the moment.
But I'll hook her up and she can go outside.
I might melt. Doubtful, that I will melt.
1 pint of green beans,new baby potatoes, onion and bacon simmering away in the crockpot.
6 pints of green beans in the chest freezer.
Strawberry is looking pretty proud of herself sitting outside in the rain.
On top of a small incline, just like she was looking over her domain.
Dishes will have to wait.
I'm getting tired. No, I am tired.

Last edited:
Mowed yards.
8 1/2 hours to install the old house garage door opener on my shop overhead door. Overhead lights are dead until I rewire, one was in the way. While readjusting the open/close settings I saw wisp of smoke from the opener. Hope it's just 25 years of dust that got on the motor. Picture to follow.

@Peanut ...you really gonna sleep tonight after that robbery...
No kidding, that is a deal on a great name generator.

THIEF.

congrats...

Jim
That is what people used to say when I bought my HUD house 30 years ago, that I stole it. LOL Nope, God was taking care of me, and I did pay the purchase price. And not everyone could have moved into a house that needed the work that this one did.

We got a lot of rain yesterday, and I haven't emptied my rain gauge or checked it to know how much rain.

Worked on another garden bed, 15 1/2 feet long and about 3 - 4 feet wide. I've been digging it up for days. Removed a bunch of hen and chick plants (3 buckets full) and gave them to a young woman who lives in my area and who is very interested in gardening. Also gave her grape hyacinths. She and her 2 year old daughter come by on their way to the park. The soil is clay so I have been digging, getting it ready for the next step. Added more border stone to keep the soil in. Added peat moss and dug that in. Planted some perennials but have more to go. Have some bulbs to move and plant there and about 70 zinnias to plant that I started from seed. The hardest parts are over and I am tired. Almost ready for the next garden bed.

Have 12 buckets of potatoes planted and about 5 of them are up, the rest were planted later. Have more to plant. Have an old recycling bin, 14 by 20 that I planted 150 + carrot seeds in. Made an inch and 1/4 spaced grid on some brown craft paper, punched holes in at the intersections and laid it on the soil in the bin. Was planted about 4 days ago, so won't see any plants for about another week.

Last edited:
Rested a while.
Then got busy cleaning the kitchen.
Hate walking into messy kitchen in the morning.
But kitchen has been cleaned, now I can breathe big sigh of relief.
Going to have a easy day tomorrow.
Dust out the floors.
Dust furniture, clean bathroom.
Cross stitch on children's quilt blocks.
Crochet on grand children's Christmas blankets.
Just got to make coffee for morning.
Then off to bed I go.
Tired.

As Amish would say, "Ha." Got my taxes done. Me. Self. Ha. Now I know why people can never find the right paperwork when they need it. Once you're finished with taxes you have had enough and you smush all the papers together and put them away, not caring. Well, they are scattered all over the bed so I guess I'd better clean it up right. Ha. Haha. Hi Amish. I hope you can get out soon and go have breakfast with the hubs.
It rained all day. Back at it tomorrow for a lot of folks and I wish we'd go back into lock down, keep all those crazy never-minders out of my way. Ha. You want to go out but you don't.
Have a great week everyone, it's shorter anyhow.

As Amish would say, "Ha." Got my taxes done. Me. Self. Ha. Now I know why people can never find the right paperwork when they need it. Once you're finished with taxes you have had enough and you smush all the papers together and put them away, not caring. Well, they are scattered all over the bed so I guess I'd better clean it up right. Ha. Haha. Hi Amish. I hope you can get out soon and go have breakfast with the hubs.
It rained all day. Back at it tomorrow for a lot of folks and I wish we'd go back into lock down, keep all those crazy never-minders out of my way. Ha. You want to go out but you don't.
Have a great week everyone, it's shorter anyhow.

You too Patch.:huggs:

Change of plans...checked blood glucose and it was through the roof. I think I accidentally injected my insulin into a vein, as the injection site bled a little on withdrawal. Insulin absorbs from the fat layer, not the blood. Whoops...it happens on occasion. Just need to take a few hours and get everything back where it needs to be, and then go on with my day...

I'm warming up with some music so I'll be ready later on to turn the compost and do some digging ,may even mop the floors roday.
Got some sleep last night :woo hoo:talked to daughter on phone this morning ,she had all 3 grands in tub playing nicely,TILL she called me. How nice of them to save all the screaming for our phone call.:eyeballs:.

Grandson brought his girlfriend over yesterday.
She's a sweet heart. He was all over the Vette..

So I let him take it and her for a ride. He's the only one I'd let .
Took it up town where he lives, showed all his buddies.
Even drag raced a buddy in his pu truck...laughed..said he blew him away.

Made my day. I practically raised him, he'll be 19 in Aug.
IMG_20200525_154533493_HDR.jpg

Today we are going to Sirloin Stockade for a late lunch.
Probably will wash the Vette..ITS BLACK.

Mixed Epsom salt and water , sprayed my tomatoes. Watered them with it also. They need tying up again.
IMG_20200526_105157476.jpg
IMG_20200526_105211341.jpg

I feel BLTs in my future
IMG_20200526_105235436.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
its all lousy unless you go back several decades.

I listen to the "60's, 70's and 80's" station on Pandora when I do my videos.

Walked and did short video, called groomer for Peanut Butter's haircut, cleaned and polished shoes. Still need to prune rose garden and make a pizza.

Taking it easy, today.

@Meerkat , you may or may not like Yanni or Jean Luc Ponty. Both of these artists are straight instrumental music. It kinda clears the mind. Jean Luc played with Mahavishnu Orchestra. Flatt & Scruggs are good too!

Its fine with me Patch whatevr you like,and I like instrumental music too just certain ones mostly,but I will isten to see what we working with on your and others also.:peace::thumbs:
Someties I just let whatever Youtube brings up while I'm exercising too to work.

Big band sound is fun. And what's that one guy's name? Spike Jones.
On a different note....Have you done much meditation with music?

All the time,anytime music is playing I'm meditating. I'm just nto sitting down with my legs crossed doing so. I take trips without leaving the farm.I go back and foward in time. With timble and with brass.

Sometimes navigating H&CL to find The Proper Place To Post doesn't work out for me. So, I'll park this here.

What I did today - made my annual Memorial Day week visit to the hometown cemetery. stuck a plastic bouquet in the ground in the three plots my family dead rests in, and said hello over some headstones. Also guided on flags to say the names of folks, some of whom I remembered from when they were on this side of the veil. Saluted every flag I saw on the way out of the cemetery, and spoke names when I could read them.

Saw only one grave from the War of 1812, but several from the Civil War. Per capita, Vermont had more casualties in that war than any other Union state. Lots of farm boys didn't come home.

Grandson brought his girlfriend over yesterday.
She's a sweet heart. He was all over the Vette..

So I let him take it and her for a ride. He's the only one I'd let .
Took it up town where he lives, showed all his buddies.
Even drag raced a buddy in his pu truck...laughed..said he blew him away.

Made my day. I practically raised him, he'll be 19 in Aug.
View attachment 43093

Today we are going to Sirloin Stockade for a late lunch.
Probably will wash the Vette..ITS BLACK.

Mixed Epsom salt and water , sprayed my tomatoes. Watered them with it also. They need tying up again.
View attachment 43095View attachment 43096
I feel BLTs in my future
View attachment 43097

Jim
Luck granpaw and lucky grandson.Nice looking young man too.

Figured out our happenings for the rest of the week. Tomorrow is another POD day, so prepared for it by dumping lettuce pots to the chickens, so they can go in there. Organizing all the chain link runs that we use for fowl, because those panels are going in first. Emptied out one small freezer to go, and crammed all that in to our chest freezer. Went to Sams with husband, and told him NOT to buy anything for the freezer. No room at all. Needed salsa and barbeque sauce, and they were out of both. They were heavily stocked on spices, rice, flour, sugar. Was shocked at their 10# chub of 80/20 hamburger....$6.18 a lb. Not even the organic kind. Just plain ol hamburger. Need to go to the post office, and get two rooms painted. Tomorrow is pod loading here, a pod unloading at the farm, Thursday is house scrubbing, and Friday the video guy comes out to film. We'll be at the hospital then, for husband to get an injection in his spine for back pain.

Latest posts

Back