What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walked this morning and stopped at drugstore for prescription renewal.

Laundry is done and it has been mango day!
Got 5 pints and 3 half pints of Mango Jalapeno Jam
7 pints and 1 half pint of Mango Jam
8 pints of canned mangoes
That's what 48 mangoes got me!

I'm done!

Another hot one today.

Wife is picking green beans.
Will be canning later.

I'm gonna be trying to finish painting doors and drawers for the bathroom vanity.

Gotta get started.

Jim

Yes siree,

3 coats of paint on 5 drawers and 2 doors..to be reinstalled tomorrow.
New knobs , gray ones, will be here Thursday.
IMG_20200706_172851177.jpg
IMG_20200706_172921065.jpg

While

Wife was busy picking , snapping and canning green beans.
IMG_20200706_172834055.jpg

I think I worked harder.

Jim

Salt makes your body retain fluid.

Remember salt tablets in summer heat ,t help not dehydrate.

Problem....congestive heart failure is your body retaining too much fluid.
Don't want to help it with salt in any form.

The fluid retention usually shows up in feet and legs first , then in the sack around the heart, making the heart work harder . That's why doctors either ask if you have swelling in feet, or they check your feet for swelling .

I been on salt free diet for years ,plus meds to help eliminate the fluid. Another words , go piss every 30 minutes.

Your right that it doesn't cause BP increase in some (few) but will in most.

Jim
In my genealogy research my ggg grandfather's cause of death was edema. I had heard the term, but didn't really know what it was, so I looked for the meaning. This is what fluid retention reminds me of.

"Edema is swelling caused by excess fluid trapped in your body's tissues. Although edema can affect any part of your body, you may notice it more in your hands, arms, feet, ankles and legs.Oct 26, 2017 Mayo Clinic"

Attachments

• 1594075657857.jpeg
    1594075657857.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
My son and I pulled the engine out of my Maverick today. We are replacing the freeze plugs (core plugs) because one has been leaking for a couple of months. The stop leak I put in finally quit working after I pulled into the garage a few days ago. POP! wooosh and rust colored water spread over the floor. If that is the worst it throws at me in 12 years it's OK. This is my #2 son and he works on cars for a living. I told him that I wanted him to charge me the full price for his work and he said something about family discount. I said family discount was +20%. I think I talked him into the flat rate fee. While the engine is out I will be replacing the transmission pump seal too. I built the transmission and just for longevity I will replace the seal while I can. :)

I'm so glad he moved into the valley. He only lives about 10 minutes from me and will be working out of his garage once he gets all moved in.

Wierd day at work today. To start with I had to cover for 2 other guys, one took a couple days vacation, the other one took a kayak trip and looks like he got quarentined. So thats11 more techs to keep up with. Plus i knew one of my techs was quarentined last week and this one. Another of my techs is taking this week off to move into his new house. My 3rd tech had knee surgery last week and knowing his past patterns won't be back until Thanksgiving. Then about 10 my 4th tech called and said his wife had just called him and said one of her co workers had tested positive although she hadn't saw her since thursday. Our protocol at work is to contact medical and let them decide what happens next. So we wait, and wait, and wait, while disifecting everywhere he had been and him making a list of everything he had done, gone, been around. Then about 2:30 he called and said medical had cleared him. I was relived to say the least. If he had been sent home my group would have been shut down as he is the last one trained to do the work. That would have been a bad day since our group maintains equipment that is all compliance driven and has a strict schedule for calibrations. July happens to be our busiest month as well.
I'm dreading tomorrow already.

Aye, @Bacpacker i be dreading tomorrow too. Will not say why. I've had a weird day today too. In fact, the past 2 or 3 weeks have sucked.
I'm not holding out much hope for your 4th tech and his wife...to test negative. So many things to say... hoping the best for you.
Ah, @snappy1 what do you like to put your mango jam on? That sounds out of this world delicious! How far do you think you walk each time? You should post over in the fitness thread/forum. Although I must admit, if you stay here it is motivation for those of us who sometimes refuse to check in on the fitness and exercise forum. I walked today and exerted myself out in the yard, taking down little saplings.
Lovely paint job, Mr. @phideaux
Sheepdoggy, as a teen, one of my boyfriends had a Maverick. I did not like that car. What year is yours? His was a something, haha, maybe a 1972?:dunno:

Aye, @Bacpacker i be dreading tomorrow too. Will not say why. I've had a weird day today too. In fact, the past 2 or 3 weeks have sucked.
I'm not holding out much hope for your 4th tech and his wife...to test negative. So many things to say... hoping the best for you.
Ah, @snappy1 what do you like to put your mango jam on? That sounds out of this world delicious! How far do you think you walk each time? You should post over in the fitness thread/forum. Although I must admit, if you stay here it is motivation for those of us who sometimes refuse to check in on the fitness and exercise forum. I walked today and exerted myself out in the yard, taking down little saplings.
Sheepdoggy, as a teen, one of my boyfriends had a Maverick. I did not like that car. What year is yours? His was a something, haha, maybe a 1972?:dunno:

Hope you feel better soon Patch, we have been down in the dumps lately .About had it being at home all the time and nowhere to go .

Yes siree,

3 coats of paint on 5 drawers and 2 doors..to be reinstalled tomorrow.
New knobs , gray ones, will be here Thursday.
View attachment 46030View attachment 46031
While

Wife was busy picking , snapping and canning green beans.
View attachment 46032
I think I worked harder.

Jim
Your cabinet will look so much better now. Ten years ago when I was redoing my bathroom, I had a cabinet that did not look as good as yours before the paint. My house is all earth tones and the main color throughout is called Spanish sands, a tannish color, which was selected for me by a designer, and I really like. I painted my cabinet an espresso brown color. What a difference it made! The after was just WOW!

Last few weeks have been hot, humid and crazy busy. Spent Friday and half of Saturday mowing pasture. One of my girls came over with 3 of her kids Saturday afternoon and helped me box and pack. I have been busy trying to get insurance changes and address changes to different businesses also. We were told and planned on our house being delivered mid July. The people who bought our house have furniture being delivered end of July. Company called this morning and due to the covid, the manufacture of home was shut down for 2 days. Pushed delivery date to August 2. They are going to put pressure on them to finish quickly. We may have to find a place to stay for a week or so. Might can store at my mother in laws house as she is in the nursing home. Don't want to move piano or gun safe twice. Also 4 dogs, 20 chickens and however many of the 17 cats I can catch and transport. The dogs and chickens can be put in pens waiting to be built. Cats will probably disappear with no body living there and they are all spayed and neutered. Or they can stay here and I will come feed them everyday. I still work in town 29 hours a week and clean a house on Thursday. Husband bulldozed out some clay and hauling to house site for base which he dug out 4 feet first. New clay bought to be put on top and then concrete piers to be poured. Electric installed today. Well will be next and septic after house brought in. Sorry so long a post. I feel old right now. Oh and new location will probably not be able to have Internet due to trees blocking signal.

Your cabinet will look so much better now. Ten years ago when I was redoing my bathroom, I had a cabinet that did not look as good as yours before the paint. My house is all earth tones and the main color throughout is called Spanish sands, a tannish color, which was selected for me by a designer, and I really like. I painted my cabinet an espresso brown color. What a difference it made! The after was just WOW!

It's gonna like nice , and clean.
I'll get a new pic when the knobs arrive.
I got all the drawers back in..doors tomorrow.
Looking good.

She wants to go to Bed and Bath for deco.

Jim

We need to paint out cabinets white too. Drives my daughter nuts,she said everything you have is 'WHITE'! Our house is not big plus I like bright and white goes with everything. I also like bright and pastel colors. Remember our bus it was a rolling rainbow,I painted it.

Another day of watching weather radars and lightning strike apps to warn of impeding issues at the county board of health "pop up" covid testing sites. The pay sucks, but I am well trained to stare at computer screens and move a mouse :p

Well, looks like we are headed to the Amish community today to check and see if they have maters.
Need at least a bushel of canning maters to get started making spaghetti sauce and can a few maters.
I think it's a little early.

She just wants to shop.

That's fine , I been staying in and working a lot.

Jim

Well, I survived this round with the vampires.
They got their 15 tubes of blood.
Two weeks ago they also got 15 tubes of blood.
And two weeks before that they got 6 tubes of blood.
So two weeks from today they will get 6 more tubes of blood.
Maybe by that time they can figure out my my blood counts never get above 6.5.
Besides the obvivous them taking all my blood one tube at a time.
Only in my case it's 15 tubes of blood at a time.
It's almost 1330 hours in the afternoon, and I'm just getting my first cup of coffee.
Date/ Bingo night is supposed to start tonight.
If I'm not too tired might have to go. lol....lol...lol...

I've been busy reorganizing and deep cleaning this place. I gave birth in March so I missed out on the spring cleaning and just now able to really spend the time and catch up! Feels great! My parents are driving into town from SD. They left today, will stay the night somewhere in Wyoming, and arrive tomorrow. They've only seen the baby when she was brand new so we are all very excited! I also have lined up showings of houses with acreage of usable land. Ideally I would like us all (my little yet growing family and my parents) to live on the same land. Maybe different houses. This will be a good start to get an idea of what we want. Not sure if we will actually end up in Utah or SD. I plan to explore several possibilities.

I use Nature's Own low calorie bread--40 calories a slice.
About the walking, LOL Today is the first day I have not walked or done video in months! Have to give my hip a little break. I walk about 2 miles a day or do a 40 minute video.

What I have done today is make jalapeno poppers and Shrimp and Chicken Sausage shish kabobs on the grill.
Cleaned up blew off the front carport and porch, while DH was gone and read my book. Nice easy day!

Tomorrow morning I am driving my neighbors and I to the salvage grocery down in LA (Franklinton). That should be a good time!

So far this week I have written 2 articles, created about 10 memes, produced several ads, and of course worked my full time job, spent time with my family, and still managed to be the primary cook and chief dishwasher in my home. Later this week I have a law enforcement funeral to attend, which will be equally important and difficult at the same time. Then next week I am going to a training in another state, it's a refresher for those who graduated from the school of police command and management. At this point I am not sure the irons end and the fire begins but hopefully before too long I will be able to catch my breath.

The weirdo guy who picked up our pickup and the Challenger yesterday made it to my cousin's farm this morning, with our vehicles safe and sound. The car hauler guy is from NY and my cousin said he was amazed that they were Amish and had cows. He toured the cow area. We packed a picnic today and took the grandkids up to the mtn peak area, about an hour from us. It was good to get out. The kids ate, threw pinecones at each other, and then hiked and hit each other with sticks. The twins are visiting with their great grandma this evening and saying goodbye. 6 more days.

yes, @Meerkat salt on watermelon. I don't do it much but lots of my kin do. must be a mid-Atlantic thing
I went salt-free a long time ago (except when eating seafood with Old Bay, haha), but have edged it back in, still very light on it. I like using salt-free Spike seasoning on popcorn.
@txcatlady that's a lot of happenings! I hope your pets and farm critters get moved quickly and without a loss. Bummer about your house not being ready yet. The little break in activity before a big rush of moving in.

So far this week I have written 2 articles, created about 10 memes, produced several ads, and of course worked my full time job, spent time with my family, and still managed to be the primary cook and chief dishwasher in my home. Later this week I have a law enforcement funeral to attend, which will be equally important and difficult at the same time. Then next week I am going to a training in another state, it's a refresher for those who graduated from the school of police command and management. At this point I am not sure the irons end and the fire begins but hopefully before too long I will be able to catch my breath.

Stay safe.

Yeah gotta have a little salt on the watermelons.
Patch hope you get feeling on top of the world soon.
Jim, I called a place we get maters from sometimes to can a big batch at once. None are ready down here yet either.
All you folks moving are making me tired. I hate to even think about packing all our crap up and moving. Must be partly becuase I've always had a truck and was always asked to help people move. Not sure why I ever agreed to do that. LOL
Work was different today, but every bit as crazy. My 4th guy is clear. Found out his wife was only in the same building as the positive tested lady. Never was near her.

The two we have left are both 1973, V-8, Automatic transmissions and power steering. My wife's is a blue 4 door and mine is a mustard two door.
I like the shorter wheel base because it is better on the dirt roads but her 4 door is better in the snow. The 302 engines are peppy in the 2800 pound cars and I built the transmissions to handle about twice the power we run so not only will they last a long time but if you hold the throttle to the floor you get to listen to the tires complain. The transmissions can be manually shifted or put in drive and let it shift automatically. I use the transmission instead of brakes. I really should get my 1966 Ford done. It weighs about 2000 pounds with me in it and has 350 HP, 4 speed and manual disc brakes and manual steering. Easy enough to steer when rolling but that extra bit of caster is hard to work at a stop. I had to add the caster because I run negative camber so it hugs the road. According to the math it will go 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds and 0 to 130 in 10 seconds.

Latest posts

Back