What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I don't do the majority of the work canning it will not get done. My wife just isn't up to the work required. She does what she can but no lifting, so big pots of boiling water are my job. I don't mind too much.
My cousin and his wife are in their 80's and they can together. They go to a Hutterite farm stand and buy green beans by the bushel, as well as other produce. They have a small building out back where they have a stove that they use for canning. She snaps the beans and lots of the preparation, but he is in charge of the canner out back. They used to can 120 quarts a year, but now they are just canning pints. I suspect they have quite a bit of home canned goods in the basement, because she does not want him to show anyone the basement. She does keep a very clean house, so it is possible that the basement is not as tidy as she would like it to be.

My cousin and his wife are in their 80's and they can together. They go to a Hutterite farm stand and buy green beans by the bushel, as well as other produce. They have a small building out back where they have a stove that they use for canning. She snaps the beans and lots of the preparation, but he is in charge of the canner out back. They used to can 120 quarts a year, but now they are just canning pints. I suspect they have quite a bit of home canned goods in the basement, because she does not want him to show anyone the basement. She does keep a very clean house, so it is possible that the basement is not as tidy as she would like it to be.
Weedy the old couple down the road basically do the same thing,they have a canning shed set up nicely for that,but they can all the time.

Video first this morning, then went to Church.

Set up DH's meds for two weeks and my vitamins for a month. Picked figs and okra. Put figs, okra and tomatoes in freezer. Have to go to town tomorrow for a short time and then will be canning and tearing down gardens (or parts) for the next week or so.

Got 1 batch of pasta sauce canned,
Got the peas picked, and am sitting here shelling peas,
Grandkids, when they were little , always asked if they could help peel peas.
IMG_20200802_170041910.jpg
IMG_20200802_170016277.jpg

Jim

Today, I've been repurposing two spare WiFi routers as additional access points in my house. One as a remote point for our main home network at the far end of the house away from the main WiFi router, and the other as an additional central point for our separate network that has all of the IoT ("Internet Of Things") devices connected to it. I did a lot of testing of signal strengths all around the house to confirm the best access point to use for each client device.

During all this testing, I determined that for IoT devices, the Amazon Echo Dots have the best built-in antennas of the client devices I own. Those things can connect to just about anything, anywhere, with a strong signal. On the opposite end of the spectrum is the RING Video Doorbell. You can beat that thing over the head with a transmitting antenna and it still has a poor signal. It connects, but with crappy signal strength no matter how close you move the WiFi access point to it. Oh, and I was surprised to find that my wifes iPhone10 has only a mediocre antenna (WiFi antenna, not cellular antenna which I did not test). I wasn't expecting that, given the inflated price you have to pay for an iPhone. YMMV, because it's not just the specific client devices that make for strong/weak signals. There are about 50 bazillion other things that can make or break your WiFi signal. Everybody's environment is different - there is no such thing as a "standard home".

Switching things around to the additional access points took some of the load off of my main router/main WiFi access point. Previously it was handling 25 to 30 WiFi connections and an additional 10 to 15 hardwired connections. No signs of stress on the router, but I was able to offload about 20 of the previous WiFi connections to other access points. Some of those network connections - like to my system backups, movie, audiobook, ebook, and music server(s) - are heavily used, others - like to some of the printers - can go unused for weeks at a time.

For those of you that don't know, you can make a significant difference in your WiFi signal with just minor changes in your WiFi routers positioning. Picking up the router, turning it 90 degrees, and setting it back down in the same place resulted in a 3dB gain in signal strength. Even better - moving the antennas from vertical to horizontal polarization lead to a 5dB gain. Unfortunately these gains were not cumulative - I could get either 3dB or 5dB, not 8 dB. But 5dB of gain by just flipping the antennas from upright to sideways is certainly nothing to sneeze at. All client devices did not see these gains - I was targeting the pitiful RING doorbell during this phase of the testing, since it was the device most in need of more signal strength. Next up will be more testing by raising the router higher. Today, I did not have an ethernet cable that was long enough to allow much vertical experimentation.

Busy weekend around here. Wife canned 2 rounds of tomatos yesterday. I mowed about half the yard and worked in the garden the rest of the day. Had to go pick up some last minute things for the wife.Got up this morning and dropped her at the airport to visit her sis. Nephew is having a graduation get together next Sunday that she just wouldn't miss. If I had went I would get quarentined at work and with so much going on there right now I couldn't take the chance. I am afraid they make me stay home anyway once she returns. So this week is get EVERYTHING possible done week. Yeehaw
I finished up some stuff in the garden, washed the last of the blueberries and put them out to dry so I can freeze them, and did some reading.

I put a deposit on my new puppy this evening. My nieces youngest boy bought a registered male and two female german sheppards last fall. They now have 9 puppies about 5 weeks old.

I know who my grtnephew got his dogs from. 3 of the 4 grandparents of the puppies are currently working dogs with various law enforcement in the region. The pups are from first rate working dog stock. There were 3 male and 6 female pups

I sat and watched the pups for about an hour before making my choice. I wanted a male. The male I chose was the biggest of the litter but more importantly the calmest of the litter. When we went down to the pens they turned all the pups and adults out, chaos ensued.

This one pup took it all in stride, remained calm, watched everything going on. These traits are what I need. I’m too old for a high energy excitable dog. Calm suits me just fine. I should be taking him home about Labor Day.

No much else went on today, lazy summer day.

I put a deposit on my new puppy this evening. My nieces youngest boy bought a registered male and two female german sheppards last fall. They now have 9 puppies about 5 weeks old.

I know who my grtnephew got his dogs from. 3 of the 4 grandparents of the puppies are currently working dogs with various law enforcement in the region. The pups are from first rate working dog stock. There were 3 male and 6 female pups

I sat and watched the pups for about an hour before making my choice. I wanted a male. The male I chose was the biggest of the litter but more importantly the calmest of the litter. When we went down to the pens they turned all the pups and adults out, chaos ensued.

This one pup took it all in stride, remained calm, watched everything going on. These traits are what I need. I’m too old for a high energy excitable dog. Calm suits me just fine. I should be taking him home about Labor Day.

No much else went on today, lazy summer day.

Sounds like you found the right one,good for you.

Worked on the basement. Took the ranger out for a spin with hubbie. Went to town for ice cream after lunch, the big town has a Braum's open on Sunday. Went to cousins for Sunday supper, and picked up some raw milk for the week. She brought over 6 dz eggs yesterday, so we're good for awhile.

I don't know about that brick thing, Haertig.

I once read a Q/A on how one castrates a bull.

"You sneak up behind the bull with two bricks, flank his balls holding the bricks on either side, then smash them together."

"Wow, doesn't that hurt?"

"No, ... not if you keep your thumbs out of the way."

I prefer a squeeze chute and a bander. 😂 If you can swing your arms down there they have room to kick...

Last edited:
Today is it... finally will be canning last batch of pasta sauce..we are sick of canning sauce.

Green beans are slow producing for some reason.
But they look like they are going into second crop.
Rained again last night, so everything is soaked , therefore interfering with mowing plans today.

May hook up bush hog today....with all the rain , the pastures can't wait till October.

So semi busy day.

Jim

Off to the oral surgeon this morning to have a molar removed. Looking forward to a great day.

Oral surgion in my case is a piece of cake,very easy.I had 2 wisdom teeth removed 5 years ago,he ask ready to get that out, I shook head yes, he said its already done!I still have 2 wisdom teeth that are fine no problems .

Took the twins to their first marching band practice at their new school, and they enjoyed it. One on trombone, the other on trumpet. They met some friendly people, so that'll be good when school starts at the end of the month. Practice goes on for this week and next. Stopped by cousins to pick up tomatoes and cucumbers, and went to post office. Will be going into the big town to shop for mobility scooter for husband this afternoon. Looking after the 76 baby chicks in the house, removed the pasty off a butt. Husband starting a new diet today, so menu has changed drastically. Will be doing more basement unpacking.

Just saw my tractor hauled away yet again. 😔
Now waiting on a package to be delivered so I can sign for it (a package that has zero reasons to be signed for) so I can go to bed. Having things that need to be day shift really challenges me these days. Can’t wait for sleep 😴

DoubleR that is a shame, hope they get their crap together and fix it.

Oral surgion in my case is a piece of cake,very easy.I had 2 wisdom teeth removed 5 years ago,he ask ready to get that out, I shook head yes, he said its already done!I still have 2 wisdom teeth that are fine no problems .

Of course only had one removed at a time, clear that up,lol.

Last time a dentist pulled one of my teeth I kept yelling " I feel pain" hubby said the whole waiting room was wild eyed when we left,Dentist said ' I gave you enough novacaine to numb a horse '. Oral surgion is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back