What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter sent me a pic of her tall pony, her mom's old mare, and herself in the makeshift shelter they made after the storm. I'm proud of her for working hard to make the corn crib alley into a horse-safe place. It will never hold up to winter weather though, and the old mare can't handle the elements very well any more. She doesn't keep weight in the cold. So figuring out a permanent building will be a big job. And probably expensive too. Glad I'm not paying for those horses any more...View attachment 48155

He looks like a gelding I sold a few years ago.

My daughter sent me a pic of her tall pony, her mom's old mare, and herself in the makeshift shelter they made after the storm. I'm proud of her for working hard to make the corn crib alley into a horse-safe place. It will never hold up to winter weather though, and the old mare can't handle the elements very well any more. She doesn't keep weight in the cold. So figuring out a permanent building will be a big job. And probably expensive too. Glad I'm not paying for those horses any more...View attachment 48155

Spike thats a nice looking pony, is it appoloosa,I forgot? And your daughter from what I can see is really growing up all of a sudden.Nice pic.

Spike thats a nice looking pony, is it appoloosa,I forgot? And your daughter from what I can see is really growing up all of a sudden.Nice pic.
The pony is half Appaloosa. She's out of the old mare in the pic, which is a registered Appaloosa, and sired by a Pony of the Americas stud. She stands about 13.1 or 13.2 hands.

Thanks for the nice words for my daughter. She's growing up for sure, along with all the awkwardness and the triumphs that go along with it.

Sleep like a rock last night, that's rare.

Riding the Mule into town.

Heading to my Internet Provider to pay a bill to save a postage stamp. They sent me a bill for $140 for I don't know what. Turns out it was for a new modem that I had bought from them three months ago.

Then stop at the bank to get some pocket cash.

Plan on getting home before the noon day heat.

Then find the instructions for the drone and GoPro. It's been a few years since I've used them and there is a video I volunteered to do this weekend. Get a few practice crashes in before hand !?!?!?

Gotta pick peas this morning after coffee.
Then peel them , put em in freezer for washing and blanching later.

Then clean house a bit.

Then head to hospital....oh wait... I can't go in to help her until 5 pm.

Last night , when I left , she was feeling some better with the back surgery. It's starting to heal.

She's on 2 antibiotics for pneumonia and colon infection.

Urologist said he would take the kidney stone out Thursday if she's up to it, and everything else is improving.

I had to figure out all my meds for a week this morning. She's been doing it for me.

Jim

Wow, Phideaux, she's got alot to mend. Glad she is improving!
I am taking twins to last band camp. Granddaughter sunburned on her face at yesterdays camp, so we are improvising a mask with a cloth "cowl" thingy I use for a head covering sometimes. Her nose hurts too much for a mask. Then, daughter and little granddaughter and I are meeting the lady cousins at the thrift store in Yoder to do some shopping and visiting. Husband has a primary care dr appt (new to him) after lunch that I'll need to take him to. Aldi shopping late afternoon, and barbeque takeout that our daughter wants on the agenda this evening.

I had some points remaining on my Cabelas card so I ordered so lighter broadheads and new targets....

It's the most wonderful time of the year, guns that need cleaning ...... :)

I love getting ready for hunting season,

Have a range day this Sunday. Wife hates that I do it on Sunday but there is limited access to our range.

Hope your toe heals quickly, Amish! And a complete recovery for Mrs. Phideaux also!

Figs are all done. That Orange Fig Jam is amazing!

I had the fella who does our mowing clear a small area in potatoes and sweet potatoes and I definitely have sweet potatoes. They were right up top. Big ones too! Will check for more and regulars tomorrow or Monday. I have to go find sawhorses and plywood in shed to cure them on.
I live in Idaho which is a LOT cooler than Mississippi, and this is the first time I've tried to grow sweet potatoes. These are Murasakis, purple skins and white flesh; they're supposed to be the most cold-resistant. I sure hope they work, because I love sweet potatoes!!

Strawberry has been walked this morning.
Exercised so far .
Just finished my first pot of coffee.
Will make another soon.
Crocheting on oldest grand daughter's blanket for Christmas.
Cleaning out another kitchen cabinet.
Will have to work out costs on hand stitched quilt for an acquaintance in the near future.
She still has to decide on pattern and the size that effects the pricing somewhat.
Something popped in my new right knee, It's not as stiff as it has been.
Which feels better, it feels looser anyhow.
So far it's quite in the neighborhood.
Going to use floor scrubbing machine in bathroom for weekly deep clean before oldest grand daughter stays with Granny this weekend.
Her dad has to work.
Making chicken pot pie or chicken taco's for supper.
Leaning towards taco's.

In October 2016, knowing that Clinton would win the election, I bought several DPMS Oracles for $538 each, figuring I could sell them for over a thousand a pop after her inauguration.

Well, so much for that plan! I did get my money out of them, but it wasn't the profit I'd hoped for. Given that I think the price will go up soon. I'm considering buying two or three more this week to either keep for barter or for my own use if TSHTF.

@Weedygarden Something I use often... Sieves or Gold Sieves. They are made to fit the top of a std 5 gallon bucket. The screens coming in multiple sizes. You can get metal screen or preformed plastic screens. The plastic ones are cheap.

Even though I haven't been gold prospecting in years I still use my sieves several times a year. I sort seed, clean chaff from seed... Heck I've even sorted freshly shelled peas with them, get the bad ones out. The bad peas are usually smaller and will drop through the proper size sieve.

They are really good for cleaning roots, put the roots and dirt in a sieve, sit it on a bucket then use a water hose to wash them. Perfect for out side, stuff you don't want to bring in the house. You can stack several sieves of different sizes on one bucket for sorting material into different sizes. The list of things they can be used for is endless...

http://www.keeneeng.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SV
Keen Engineering is a reputable company... been around since the 50's. I've done business with them several times.

Largest supplier Gold Pans, Prospecting Equipment and Metal Detectors These folks are in colorado... a prospecting store, never done business with them.

Edited to add... Long drive early tomorrow. I'm taking dad to his hearing aid doctor... 3hrs one way... I dread this...
Mine came yesterday. Yay! I have three garden beds that need work. The holes are too large, but no problem. I went to the hardware store and bought a foot of hardware cloth with smaller openings, cut out a piece and have been using it to sift out the garlic. It is working great. I love how it sits on a 5 gallon bucket so nicely.

I have already found some pieces of glass, nails, and stones in the soil that I had sifted more than 20 years ago. I have some work ahead of me. In the first bed I am working on, I plan on planting asparagus after I amend the soil with a bunch of peat moss.

Looks like an Apaloosa. I worked with a guy in North Dakota who raised them.

I have suffered from migraines for 30+ years. I went to a couple doctors but nothing they prescribed worked for me. My wife's chiropractor thought he could help me but after a few tries he gave up and said he could not.
I have learned to live with it. They come and go. I very, very seldom get any that put me down usually for the last few years just dull aches unless it is a bad day.

Then clean house a bit.

Last night , when I left , she was feeling some better with the back surgery. It's starting to heal.

Urologist said he would take the kidney stone out Thursday if she's up to it, and everything else is improving.

I had to figure out all my meds for a week this morning. She's been doing it for me.

Jim
Good to know she is improving.
I pray for continued improvement, Jim.

I have suffered from migraines for 30+ years. I went to a couple doctors but nothing they prescribed worked for me. My wife's chiropractor thought he could help me but after a few tries he gave up and said he could not.
I have learned to live with it. They come and go. I very, very seldom get any that put me down usually for the last few years just dull aches unless it is a bad day.
I had migraines for many years. They started for me when I was around 14 or 15. My first one came after my first time eating fruit cake. I went to a headache clinic in Denver and was told that foods can be a trigger for migraines. I was very careful after that about what I ate. It was not 100% effective, but an improvement. Their solution was to use bio-feedback, at their clinic. My insurance did not cover it, and it was not cheap, so I never even started it. I've known people who had prescriptions for migraines, and for some, that was not at all helpful. What has worked for me is aspirin products with caffeine and acetaminophen. For a migraine, two tablets did not usually make a difference, but three or four would take the edge off. Of course, you are only supposed to take 8 in a 24 hour period, and by then, it was mostly gone.
I have not had a migraine in many years now, since I retired! I do take aspirin for aches and pains here and there, but nothing like I used to. If I am not feeling well, my first indication that something is wrong is usually a headache.

I seldom get headaches, but Dawn usually wakes up with one -- she's done so for years. We don't have any narcotics, but ibuprofen and two cups of hot coffee brought to her by her husband seems to do the trick. I've never experienced a migraine, and I hope never to do so. Hiwall and Weedy, here's hoping your migraines go away and stay away.

Strawberry has been walked this morning.
Exercised so far .
Just finished my first pot of coffee.
Will make another soon.
Crocheting on oldest grand daughter's blanket for Christmas.
Cleaning out another kitchen cabinet.
Will have to work out costs on hand stitched quilt for an acquaintance in the near future.
She still has to decide on pattern and the size that effects the pricing somewhat.
Something popped in my new right knee, It's not as stiff as it has been.
Which feels better, it feels looser anyhow.
So far it's quite in the neighborhood.
Going to use floor scrubbing machine in bathroom for weekly deep clean before oldest grand daughter stays with Granny this weekend.
Her dad has to work.
Making chicken pot pie or chicken taco's for supper.
Leaning towards taco's.
Clean and swept out the mechanical room inside this apartment.
Dog hair dust bunnies could have probably carried away small dog like a Yorkie.
Chicken pot pie and chicken tacos are off the meal plan for at least today.
My vegetarian niece sent me new recipe to try.
It's an acquired taste.
And I haven't acquired it yet.
More than half the bathroom has been scrubbed.
Still have to use machine on floors.
But the walls have been steamed cleaned, mirror has been sprayed with vinegar water and cleaned.
Toilet is cleaned and bleached.
Just need to finish floors.
Second pot of coffee has been made.
Lunch and supper has been prepared.
Sitting here resting, sipping coffee.
Oh, yeah Strawberry has been outside several times to lay in the sunlight.
Neighborhood is beginning to wake up.
Going to be working on grand daughter's blanket while I enjoy my coffee.

Then clean house a bit.

Jim

Be careful with the meds and thank goodness she is on the way to recovery now.

Took the bedsheets off the bed and threw down the stairs for the wife.
Wife has a hen party today.
Weed wack the property then mow.
Chicken chores. down to 2 or 3 eggs a day from the high of 5 or 6. Don't think they will make till winter.
Piddle around in the shop until the hen party is over.

LOL.....I was at my sisters house watching the game on her Tv. 4 of her friends show up and a hen party started in the kitchen. They started talking about men, I mean they were cackling and tearing the guys up. So i decided to go into the kitchen and defend men. I stood up, then thought about it. sat right back down. 5 to 1 is not good odds
Not a good night last night. Wife was hurting and couldn't sleep.
Same thing this morning . Finally got her to drink a little water , eat a fiber bar, take her meds, and an oxycodone. Was sitting up and feeling better, and sleeping off and on. Now she's not feeling good again.
She needs to eat and take another pain pill.
Hopefully tonight and tomorrow will be a little better.

Jim
prayer smiley.gif

No sleep last night had heartburn off and on all night, but fill ok considering.

Phone ,wifi and alarm fighting with each other so off and on no web,phone excpt cell with bad connection out here in the woods. So we have a alarm, phone company be here in couple days.

There are good treatments for migraines now! I started having migraines at 10. When I had suffered through migraines for 42 years they introduced Imitrex. What a godsend! It had to be injected so I learned quickly how to do that. It is now available in tablet and nasal spray.
My last migraine was in 2002. I haven't had one since. I don't miss them!
Whoa! I'll have to bring that up to a doctor once I get one! I'll do just about anything to not experience another migraine

I actually got 8 hours and fifteen minutes sleep! About the amount I got in the previous 2 nights combined. Don't know why. Walked first, fed dogs and then took them for their little -outside the fence- walk.
Washed rugs, dusted house and swept floors. Cut okra and picked figs and put away. Hard to believe that I am already done for the day except regular chores! Now what? LOL

Clean and swept out the mechanical room inside this apartment.
Dog hair dust bunnies could have probably carried away small dog like a Yorkie.
Chicken pot pie and chicken tacos are off the meal plan for at least today.
My vegetarian niece sent me new recipe to try.
It's an acquired taste.
More than half the bathroom has been scrubbed.
Still have to use machine on floors.
But the walls have been steamed cleaned, mirror has been sprayed with vinegar water and cleaned.
Toilet is cleaned and bleached.
Just need to finish floors.
Second pot of coffee has been made.
Lunch and supper has been prepared.
Sitting here resting, sipping coffee.
Oh, yeah Strawberry has been outside several times to lay in the sunlight.
Neighborhood is beginning to wake up.
Going to be working on grand daughter's blanket while I enjoy my coffee.

It's an acquired taste.
f.gif

When I got up I had a clear plan on what I was going to do for the rest of the week. The the wife got up and my plans got pushed out the window.

Now I need to put everything else on hold and tile the walls in the kitchen... That was something son was supposed to do, but now he is unavailable.... Should be fun (or not), I have put togethe a plan, a shopping list, and have a clear understand of what the wife wants....

As for MoBookworm1957's comment "My vegetarian niece sent me new recipe to try. It's an acquired taste. And I haven't acquired it yet." Vegetarian = NOT Happening here, I guess if you added a pound of burger it would be ok... :)

I believe in a balanced diet, Must alsways contain Meat and Potatoes.

When I got up I had a clear plan on what I was going to do for the rest of the week. The the wife got up and my plans got pushed out the window.

Now I need to put everything else on hold and tile the walls in the kitchen... That was something son was supposed to do, but now he is unavailable.... Should be fun (or not), I have put togethe a plan, a shopping list, and have a clear understand of what the wife wants....

As for MoBookworm1957's comment "My vegetarian niece sent me new recipe to try. It's an acquired taste. And I haven't acquired it yet." Vegetarian = NOT Happening here, I guess if you added a pound of burger it would be ok... :)

I believe in a balanced diet, Must alsways contain Meat and Potatoes.
It had meat in it: shredded bbq chicken.

Latest posts

Back