What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grandson got picked up to go do some work for a community garden. He's working tomorrow early, too, so no sleep in for him. Hoping to get every one around here going, so we can cruise by the lake for a while before taking daughter to the airport in Wichita. Sad to see her leave, but she'll be starting a new ultrasound stint in Albuquerque till at least the end of October.

Asked the wife how she's doing today.

She said not so good.

The urologist was in...said , don't know why they (nurses) told us that he broke up the stone.
He said apparently they did not read his notes.
I hate incompetence.

Said he shot it 3 times and it fell back down in kidney.
So surgery again in 2 weeks.

Needless to say I'm not happy.

Just picked another big bucket of peas.
Working off my frustrations.

Jim

Hate to hear that Jim. Them stones can be tricky to get.

Got that right Bacp , I had lipotripsy where they blasted me for a long time . Had me strapped down and everytime I woke they stuck me with a needle and said , your gonna feel bad for a little bit and out again I was, three times before I could say anything. :mad:

Apparently good competent help is too.

Jim

Hope they get it together and that stone stops playing hide and seek. I try to reserach down here not too many doctors most in school or just graduating.
i haven't seen a heart or any other kind of dr since heart stents Feb. I'm about to cancel another one this morning too. I take baby aspirin and half duiretic couple times a week and hope for the best.Took that other one fro almost 6 weeks, thats all I could stand.

Sorry the surgery hasn't worked! When it is done, make sure they tell you what type it is so she can avoid them in the future.

Walked first, fed dogs, now reading here and charging fitbit. Still need to do out of fence walk for pups, pick figs, cut okra and check jalapenos. May be all outside.

Cut cheese for dogs, boil eggs (for me), cook hamburgers for DH.

At some point, I may go to a Salvage grocery store with my neighbor. Not sure about that yet.

I will start the prednisone for thumb on Sunday. Don't want to start today as I will be out in public tomorrow and I know it depresses immune system.

Last edited:
Logged on to work at 0730 to find 18 emails waiting.
4 different projects and all are "Top Priority".
As I'm clearing my work load, even more tasks come in.
It's gonna be one of those days.

Why does everyone wait until Friday to ask for things to be done that SHOULD have been brought up in our weekly Monday meeting? Oh yeah, the boss CANCELLED that meeting this week,,,

Anyway, fires averted, revisions done, now it's time for breakfast.

And only 14 more dialysis sessions until my transplant! dancing chicken

Logged on to work at 0730 to find 18 emails waiting.
4 different projects and all are "Top Priority".
As I'm clearing my work load, even more tasks come in.
It's gonna be one of those days.

Why does everyone wait until Friday to ask for things to be done that SHOULD have been brought up in our weekly Monday meeting? Oh yeah, the boss CANCELLED that meeting this week,,,

Anyway, fires averted, revisions done, now it's time for breakfast.

And only 14 more dialysis sessions until my transplant! dancing chicken

Amen Brother!!! Why does everyone put everything off till the last second. I'm off today and still getting e-mails and phone calls - I guess that's why you get a company phone....

I was on the same page as you until I read "TRANSPLANT", hope it goes well for you.

My son and my sister were on Transplant lists for other organs, their time ran out before the organs became available....
Unfortunately the wife is following their example, we have been fighing to keep her here using herbs and diet, in addition to everything the doctors have to throw at it (oxygen, pacemaker, she has been on an IV for 2 years now, they only expected that to last 6 months).

I was on the same page as you until I read "TRANSPLANT", hope it goes well for you.

My son and my sister were on Transplant lists for other organs, their time ran out before the organs became available....
Unfortunately the wife is following their example, we have been fighing to keep her here using herbs and diet, in addition to everything the doctors have to throw at it (oxygen, pacemaker, she has been on an IV for 2 years now, they only expected that to last 6 months).

Sorry to hear that.
I'm blessed that my sister is not only a perfect match but willing and able to donate.
If I'd had to wait for a deceased donor, I'd be looking at 3 to 8 YEARS before possibly getting one.

Prayers for your wife...

I went to do test at civilian hospital.
Just about done with it, when nurse starts to lecture about the importance of having this test done every 6 months.
Stop the test. Ask to speak to Supervisor.
Which she tries to deny access too.
Undoubtly she has never dealt with retired Military Personnel either.
Nor had the Hospital Administrator, or the Chief of Radiology.
But they have now.
Let's just say the Hospital administrator, the nurse in question, Chief of Radiology won't forget this round of BS anytime soon.
Pretty sure the Nurse in question, Chief of Radiology maybe the Hospital Administrator won't have a jobs when the Board of Directors get done with them.
Too many complaints from the Retired Military Community in my area.
The only good news I got of this day so far is I've walked little over 1. 18 miles so far today.

Hey Sparky_D, glad you have a great attitude.

Life is so short we should remember to be thankful for every day. The son who passed (Actually Step-Son) was born with reversed blood flow in his heart, he had several surgeries as an infant. He was 3 when I met him, his mom made me promise to never let him use his medical condition as a crutch... Most people with his condition die in their early teen years.

I walked with him on weekends, camped when we could, he was an eagle scout and married his first sweet-heart. They adopted 2 girls. He completed college and became an accountant. In his mid 20s he got his first pacemaker, in his early 30s he got much sicker. At 35 he was on a transplant list and things went south quickly. He called me one Sunday afternoon and said, "Dad, I just don't think I'm going to see tomorrow. I wanted to thank you for making me live each day and to never use my heart as an excuse for not trying." He asked me to give his eulogy if he died. I told him I would do my best and that I loved him, we hung up. 2 hours later his wife called to let me know he had passed...

Time is a gift that souldn't be wasted.

Hey Sparky_D, glad you have a great attitude.

Life is so short we should remember to be thankful for every day. The son who passed (Actually Step-Son) was born with reversed blood flow in his heart, he had several surgeries as an infant. He was 3 when I met him, his mom made me promise to never let him use his medical condition as a crutch... Most people with his condition die in their early teen years.

I walked with him on weekends, camped when we could, he was an eagle scout and married his first sweet-heart. They adopted 2 girls. He completed college and became an accountant. In his mid 20s he got his first pacemaker, in his early 30s he got much sicker. At 35 he was on a transplant list and things went south quickly. He called me one Sunday afternoon and said, "Dad, I just don't think I'm going to see tomorrow. I wanted to thank you for making me live each day and to never use my heart as an excuse for not trying." He asked me to give his eulogy if he died. I told him I would do my best and that I loved him, we hung up. 2 hours later his wife called to let me know he had passed...

Time is a gift that souldn't be wasted.

Not much can be said so I just give you a big :huggs:.

Jim - you two hang in there. God hears us.

Also, some GOOD news - yay!
Dad made huge improvement through the night. They removed the vent tube and feeding tube. He is extremely confused but is sitting up in a chair and is eating applesauce and "boost" (but different brand.) He did know his horse's name, but when the Dr. asked if he knew who he was, his response was, "I don't know. Harry?" Dr.'s name is not Harry. Thank you all again for the prayers and kind wishes!!!!
:heart:

Jim - you two hang in there. God hears us.

Also, some GOOD news - yay!
Dad made huge improvement through the night. They removed the vent tube and feeding tube. He is extremely confused but is sitting up in a chair and is eating applesauce and "boost" (but different brand.) He did know his horse's name, but when the Dr. asked if he knew who he was, his response was, "I don't know. Harry?" Dr.'s name is not Harry. Thank you all again for the prayers and kind wishes!!!!
:heart:

That's great , good news.

Jim

Got up early & listened to music to relax.
Went to the dentist & had a root canal for 2hours.
Went to samsclub afterward to get water & other supplies.
McDonalds to get fillet of fish for Mom so I can nap before having to make dinner for her
Currently checking message boards & such & about to take a nap.

Got up early & listened to music to relax.
Went to the dentist & had a root canal for 2hours.
Went to samsclub afterward to get water & other supplies.
McDonalds to get fillet of fish for Mom so I can nap before having to make dinner for her
Currently checking message boards & such & about to take a nap.

Glad the root canal is over. And good to see you back again.

Today turned out to be fair. I continued to work on the kitchen, installed the mitered window trim, put up the level supports for the subway tile backsplash and got about 8' of tile laid. There are a number of outlets and jogs that have to be cut around so it is lay a couple of tiles, run and make cuts, to be honest I sometimes just want to stop and watch TV...

The wife had another bad day today, she gets so frustrated that she can’t get up and do all the things she wants to do. I hope she gets a good night’s sleep tonight. Tomorrow the Nurse will come and change the dressing on her central port. I need to get the dang kitchen done so we can get back on our old schedule.

Tonight for dinner we had a quart of the beef barley stew that we canned over the winter (It was supposed to be soup, but my wife can't make a soup, she has to add just 1 more thing till it is as thick as peanut butter). At least that does not have the salt issues…

I posted something personal this afternoon and was surprised that it made people sad; I would have preferred that people realize that we should celebrate life. When I think of my son’s passing, I think of all the things that he was able to accomplish in the time he had… When I die, I hope that someone can find a glimmer of hope from the things I was able to do during my time here on earth.

Heck, if we were just waiting around for my wife to pass we wouldn’t be doing no-salt, home canning, eating venison, and we dang sure wouldn’t be making a new kitchen….

My youngest son got all high and mighty with me just before he completed medical school, I told him, “Look, I can guarantee that every patient you ever have will eventually die. Your job is to make their life as full and useful as possible; for as long a God wants them here.”

Today turned out to be fair. I continued to work on the kitchen, installed the mitered window trim, put up the level supports for the subway tile backsplash and got about 8' of tile laid. There are a number of outlets and jogs that have to be cut around so it is lay a couple of tiles, run and make cuts, to be honest I sometimes just want to stop and watch TV...

The wife had another bad day today, she gets so frustrated that she can’t get up and do all the things she wants to do. I hope she gets a good night’s sleep tonight. Tomorrow the Nurse will come and change the dressing on her central port. I need to get the dang kitchen done so we can get back on our old schedule.

Tonight for dinner we had a quart of the beef barley stew that we canned over the winter (It was supposed to be soup, but my wife can't make a soup, she has to add just 1 more thing till it is as thick as peanut butter). At least that does not have the salt issues…

I posted something personal this afternoon and was surprised that it made people sad; I would have preferred that people realize that we should celebrate life. When I think of my son’s passing, I think of all the things that he was able to accomplish in the time he had… When I die, I hope that someone can find a glimmer of hope from the things I was able to do during my time here on earth.

Heck, if we were just waiting around for my wife to pass we wouldn’t be doing no-salt, home canning, eating venison, and we dang sure wouldn’t be making a new kitchen….

My youngest son got all high and mighty with me just before he completed medical school, I told him, “Look, I can guarantee that every patient you ever have will eventually die. Your job is to make their life as full and useful as possible; for as long a God wants them here.”
Hey there UH. I can’t speak for others, but will say folks around here are for the most part a pretty caring bunch. I at least viewed the sad emoji as more of a “sorry for your loss” which sounds generic here. Your story and message were very moving. It is just unfortunate or “sad” that you had to experience it so soon in his life. There is no appropriate emoji for the love, the courage, or the loss you must have felt. Life is indeed precious, and I hope your wife gets to feeling better regardless of how much she can or can’t do.

Thanks, Meerkat. The most discomfort I had during the procedure was my neck started to feel a bit stiff after over an hour in. Dentist was having a hard time finding the 4th root that showed on the x-ray. He said he found it a few times but that he couldn't seem to get any of the tools in to fill it & it was aggravating him. He finally took a break & I took the opportunity to stretch a little and rub my neck. His assistant saw me and asked if I wanted a neck pillow. I wish I'd thought to ask for one sooner. It was much more comfortable. The dentist finally said he was only going to cause more damage if he kept going & that if he couldn't see to get anything in to the root it was probably going to be fine & he wasn't even sure if it was actually there or if it was something misleading on the x-ray. I gave him a thumbs up to let him know that was OK. He thanked me for being so patient. I said "Well, I *am* a patient." I've been complimented by dentists that I'm very still when being worked on. I had to sit & do nothing for long periods of time while getting braces & adjustments etc when I was younger so I learned to hold very still & be patient about things. I only felt pressure from the tools on the tooth so I was completely numbed-- which I wasn't expecting. In the past I've felt the procedures because I wasn't fully numbed, but they made sure I was completely numb first. Everyone there was very nice so while it wasn't a pleasant experience, it wasn't a terrible one either. I'm still so glad my father had an awesome dentist who let me climb on his lap and look in his mouth when he was having checkups and cleanings. The dentist pointed out the different teeth & I couldn't wait for my first dental appointment. I've been lucky that I've always had nice dentists.

Jim. I hope your wife gets feeling better very soon.

Dog woke me from my nap barking about something. Smells like a skunk sprayed outside & it was awful. For some reason it made me start sneezing.

Picked peas , put them in the freezer.
Cleaned house a bit.drove 20 miles to get ribs and baked potato for lunch , at my wife's recommendation.

Went and spent time with wife.
She is doing some better.
On pain meds.

Looks like she will be forced to come home tomorrow , ready or not.

Jim

Sorry and I hope they can find a way to treat her .

Well it's SATURDAY morning, I've had my breakfast, the sun is almost up and I am ready to start up the tile saw. I hope to have all of the above level line done by noon! Then, if the weather will cooperate, I can move on to yard work. ;) Have a great day!

Spoke too soon, we just had a power outage, my computer and router are on an automated battery backup system (I have about 8 hours) along with my wife's oxygen concentrator. Unfortunately, my tile saw is not connected to the system.... I hope it was just Rocky the Frying Squirrel and they get it back up quick, else I may have to fire up the generator (but I hate to do that before 8AM, the neighbors tend to party late on Friday Nights).

Latest posts

Back