What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a friend down from Idaho visiting for a few days. He's got some old SP1's and I think I can talk him out of one if I whine a little. I only use M193, and can still hit pretty much as far as I can see with iron sights, so, an SP1 works fine for me. Gotta go with what you know.

Happy Anniversary Backlash! ~ and cheers to many more.
Jim - glad she is at least semi comfortable for the time being. Pace yourself. You need to keep yourself well. (yes, I know I'm a mama bear.)
Snap - you're busy! When you finish up there, come on over 😇 I have a whole laundry list of to-do's.
TGIF!!! Am at work. Hubby worked 7 days last week, and it's looking like will be the same this week. Bet y'all haven't heard how CV has really messed it up for small businesses. I'm not working as many hours as him, but am trying to keep the routine for laundry and house etc, but geesh! On the brighter side, we have a 10% chance of rain - the first chance of rain in over a month and since the fires have taken off. Our air quality is no longer "hazardous" but is bouncing back and forth between "very unhealthy" and "unhealthy". It's crazy that there are hurricanes and flooding and we are on fire (not near hear, but...)

Happy Anniversary Backlash! ~ and cheers to many more.
Jim - glad she is at least semi comfortable for the time being. Pace yourself. You need to keep yourself well. (yes, I know I'm a mama bear.)
Snap - you're busy! When you finish up there, come on over 😇 I have a whole laundry list of to-do's.
TGIF!!! Am at work. Hubby worked 7 days last week, and it's looking like will be the same this week. Bet y'all haven't heard how CV has really messed it up for small businesses. I'm not working as many hours as him, but am trying to keep the routine for laundry and house etc, but geesh! On the brighter side, we have a 10% chance of rain - the first chance of rain in over a month and since the fires have taken off. Our air quality is no longer "hazardous" but is bouncing back and forth between "very unhealthy" and "unhealthy". It's crazy that there are hurricanes and flooding and we are on fire (not near hear, but...)

LadyL hope things improve and very soon for yall.

Thank you, everyone.
We actually got to go into a restaurant, sit down, and eat. That's only the second time since March.
That is so awesome! Hope you have a great meal and great hunting I mean shopping trip ;)

We can’t do the go out to dinner anymore as every time the wife ends up in the ER….

Have a wonderful day

Decluttering today. I came up with a plan to hopefully slow the mess from Juju's room that spills out into the hall and entire landing upstairs. K is going to help me this weekend to start this plan. We have to get the downstairs hall closet emptied so we have a set place to store the toy totes when they are not in rotation in the girls' rooms.

Once the girls' rooms are more under control it will make keeping the rest of the house a tad easier to keep clutter free.

Today we worked on final drawer placement in the kitchen pantry, not quite done but closer. I got the caulking done and the outlet/switch cover plates on. I did sneak out with the bullet trap and the air rifle to try out the new air pump, works fine...

The need to do's are really wearing me out. We are looking at doing at least a couple of flats of tomato products. I have lots of peppers and a few tomatoes; I may have to buy some tomatoes to finish the work.

We are still arguing about how to store the potatoes and the onions, I want to put two drawers with screen bottoms under a shelf in the cupboard, but the wife says that they can’t be on the same level because the fumes from one will rot the other…. I’m not convinced…

Worked, got home and sat on the front porch with wife for a little bit. Low 70s and windy. Worked in the garden until dark taking down my cow panels, removing fence post, and taking out some of the drip irrigation. Got about 3/4 finished.
Called and talked to mom tonight. She don't feel good at all. But improving.

3 weeks and still no power. They restored power to every other house in my area except mine. They reported mine as fixes and closed the ticket so I had to open a new 1. Puts me at the back of the queue. I know they haven't been to my house. Wires are still dangling & my security light is still hanging from the tree.
I need to catch up on posts but have a hard time reading on my phone. Autocorrect is ticking me off bc it keeps changing my words.
Spent a whole night at my house bc it was cooler. Brought a new pillow with me. Dogs and cats kept trying to hog it. Sat up to adjust something and 3 cats jumped on it before I could lie back down. They were jumping on me before I even got on the bed bc they wanted to be held.
Slept OK with them purring in my ears. Dog ran across my head in the middle of the night.
Took mom over to see her little dog this afternoon. She sat in her recliner so he could sit on her lap for awhile.
Yesterday we replaced the toilet over here at my friend's house. Mom hated his old toilet (that he literally pulled from the garbage) so much she bought a new toilet. Old one flushed slow, was very short, and had a round front. New one is chair height (16-1/4" high sans seat), elongated and has a 1000 MAP score. It flushes instantly. It's the Toto Entrada. It was on sale on Lowe's website and she got military discount so it took $18 off. Tax was $16.
Used the toilet jack to make life easier. Jacked the old one up & set it on a dirty towel, picked the new 1 up, put guide sticks on the bolts, lowered it down in place. Put old one back on the jack and wheeled it outside.
Friend used to be able to lift toilets on his own but has trouble after shattering his arm & wrist in a wreck.
I apologize for not replying to other posts. I'll try to catch up.

Today we worked on final drawer placement in the kitchen pantry, not quite done but closer. I got the caulking done and the outlet/switch cover plates on. I did sneak out with the bullet trap and the air rifle to try out the new air pump, works fine...

The need to do's are really wearing me out. We are looking at doing at least a couple of flats of tomato products. I have lots of peppers and a few tomatoes; I may have to buy some tomatoes to finish the work.

We are still arguing about how to store the potatoes and the onions, I want to put two drawers with screen bottoms under a shelf in the cupboard, but the wife says that they can’t be on the same level because the fumes from one will rot the other…. I’m not convinced…
Not to burst your bubble, but she’s right on that one. Spuds aren’t friendly neighbors- they get plum rotten. 🤨

Not to burst your bubble, but she’s right on that one. Spuds aren’t friendly neighbors- they get plum rotten. 🤨

Thanks, Still doesn't solve the problem, how do I up them up where she can reach them, they are out of sight, they get plenty of air, and they don't raise a stink in the process. A good solution that is inexpensive and easy to install would be welcome....

I've heard that, too, but I put potatoes in one bin, and onions in the other. Both bins are next to each other. Haven't had a problem.
Went out to lunch with husband to the Amish restaurant, and it was really good. Brought home some cherry fry pies and cinnamon rolls as big as your face. The guys came out today to finish our garage doors today. We have two that have electric openers now. One houses the ranger, and the other holds the super duper scooter. So now husband is pretty self sufficient in getting those things out of the garages by himself. We had two other garage doors repaired with new springs and locks. Twins are playing half time marching band for the football game tonight, so another hour or so and we have to pick them up. Cousin's son in law was raking hay out on our back property today, and hoping for low humidity tomorrow so he can cut. Soy beans across our road were being harvested today. Don't know how many acres, but it's huge. Two 17 yr old Amish twin boys are quite enterprising...bought combines and they hire out to harvest alot of field around here. They are my cousin's grandsons.

Thanks, Still doesn't solve the problem, how do I up them up where she can reach them, they are out of sight, they get plenty of air, and they don't raise a stink in the process. A good solution that is inexpensive and easy to install would be welcome....
I’ve not come up with a perfect solution myself. Growing up we had a tip out flour bin that was metal lined and another tip out bin for spuds - should clarify- they were part of the lower cabinets in the kitchen and looked like cupboard doors but handle was sideways. Now I just keep enough spuds to eat in a short period of time because I don’t have a great place to store them. I don’t know how many you typically keep or eat. If there is a pretty steady turn around, you probably won’t have a problem. If you keep a good supply say for a couple months, might have to check them. Sorry I don’t know a better solution. I did read of a place in England that eats from the kitchen garden like ages ago. The spuds had their own cellar. Thought that was pretty spiffy.

I pressure can any potatoes. Don't buy them, but they are gifted pretty often.

Our company from FL is still here and proving invaluable! Changed oil in my jeep and did lube job for axles and whatever else is down there. Going to get a breaker box today to hook up electric to our 30 x 40 concrete block shed out back. I may get a canning kitchen yet!

Will probably do video this morning and then go to Dollar General for red hots to make cinnamon apple rings--was gifted more apples. And local grocery for sweet potatoes for dog treats.
I baked and prepped all butternut squash from the garden to PC today. Might make some Butternut squash butter--like apple butter.
Also, making chicken parmesan for DH and company--I am having a big salad today- like a Bic Mac but no bun- and big!
I did get the garden weeded yesterday but will wait for it to dry so I can pick more grass clumps out. And on that note, I believe we will get more rain out of this new tropical storm hitting TX than the one that hit us more directly!

Beautiful glorious wonderful rain woke me about 2:45AM when I suddenly remembered my back car windows were down about an inch. Haven’t had windows down due to smoke but yesterday the car was so stuffy, I opened the back ones a smidge. Our air quality went from 177 when I went to bed last night to the 50’s this morning. I’ve blown my nose at least a dozen times in the last hour! We can actually see the sky. Thanking God! Now I have a ton to clean up and do both in the summer kitchen and outside since everything had been covered with ash and couldn’t be outside for long so no mowing or trimming etc has happened for about 2 weeks.
Hope you all have a blessed day!

Update:

Kidney Transplant Surgery went well, everything is functioning as it should and my labs are approaching normal. Heck, I already dropped about 15 pounds of fluid weight, though I do NOT recommend this as a path to weight loss... 🙄

Resting as comfortably as I can at home now, just taking things really slowly.

Update:

Kidney Transplant Surgery went well, everything is functioning as it should and my labs are approaching normal. Heck, I already dropped about 15 pounds of fluid weight, though I do NOT recommend this as a path to weight loss... 🙄

Thats wonderful news Sparky!.:great::woo hoo:

Glad to hear it, SparkyD. Sit back and heal up. We'll try to keep you entertained.
Picked up mom and took her to the grocery store, because a short term prescription was called in to it. Walgreens, evidently was out of stock till Monday on her usual heart pills. Bummer, though, she can't find her rx card, and Walgreens has it on file, but this pharmacy didnt. Couldn't remember her social for a search, so stuck paying full price for a few days supply. Oh well. She found a beautiful wandering jew plant she bought, and stocked up on apple juice and lunchmeat. Just cleaned up from lunch, unpacked 4 boxes, and ready to go clean out stuff off the milk house patio. I'd like to use that area for my dutch oven cooking tables. Twins finished the chicken run top, so now the second group of chickens have access to the outside and they are having a great time. Cousin's son in law just arrived to cut hay. Humidity must be better. Older granddaughter is at work, and little granddaughter got her tree stump painted for school. It's for an outdoor stool. Blue sky, big sun, green grass, and a mama and baby deer on it.

Update:

So glad to see this! I've wondered how surgery went.

Got the hall closet emptied. There were 3 boxes full of papers needing to be filed in there. I went through one box and separates it into keep and shred. I filled my paper pulp bucket for brick making and still have a pile to be shredded. This is on top of the 4 file boxes full in the mudroom. I went through 2 of the file boxes and now I have one box of papers to keep and 2 empty file boxes. I am taking a break before I open the next box of papers.

I found our oldest cat's spay certificate and put that in the emergency binder. I also found old files on animals we no longer have and shredded the files. No need hanging on to paperwork for a dead cat etc.

Since a lot of our 3/7/14 day kit preps were in the hall closet I ordered the wheeled totes for the evac kits. (also ordered the totes for the girls rooms) I have 2 cat doors already and will see if they will work when the totes arrive next week. This will reduce the clutter in the closet. ::happy dance::

Today turned into a fairly good day. In the morning I harvested about 3 gallons of mixed peppers and some okra, the garden is almost finished save the root crops. I need to install the new braces for the raised bed tops, I cut them before I "volunteered" to redo the kitchen. Then I got about 6 boxes emptied, broken down for recycling. The wife made chicken and dumpling soup, it took me 4 bowls to decide if I liked it. We also got a couple loads of laundry and dishes done. I did a little more sanding on the last wall I need to finish… progress..

Funny, the closer the kitchen is to done, the dirtier the counter gets!

Reading everybody else's activities makes me feel like a bum. I went to a soccer game this morning to see several 4-6 year olds from my church play. It was quite entertaining. Then I did some dishes, and took a nap that ended up being far longer than I intended. This afternoon...just puttering around. Really haven't accomplished a darned thing. In a little while I'll be off to the gym and then I'll try to figure out a good way to kill off a Saturday night at home...

Reading everybody else's activities makes me feel like a bum. I went to a soccer game this morning to see several 4-6 year olds from my church play. It was quite entertaining. Then I did some dishes, and took a nap that ended up being far longer than I intended. This afternoon...just puttering around. Really haven't accomplished a darned thing. In a little while I'll be off to the gym and then I'll try to figure out a good way to kill off a Saturday night at home...
You need to have someone there for you, who can tell you all the things that need fixing.... On the other hand, your day sounds like a perfect day. You need to find something pleasant to fill up that Saturday night.

I have always thought that the only thing worse than being married is being single… and vise versa….

I may beat you for last place. The temps dropped a few degrees, a nice light breeze is up, and the air is nearly clear of smoke.

So, I've mostly just been sitting on the back patio enjoying breathing, and not having my eyes burning & watering. Had a cold beer & watched some clouds go by. Life is good.

Latest posts

Back