What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hashbrown, the kitchen looks gorgeous! I love how the backsplash reflects on the countertop. Looks so much brighter.

I've always had cats. My parents got cats before having kids so we were born into a house with cats. Fortunately, they were good cats. Our Siamese cat used to sort of babysit us. She would comfort us when we were sick or hurt & protect us from other people's dogs. We didn't get a dog until I was about 12. Dogs were always outside but my dad built insulated doghouses for them. I always spent more time with the cats. Playing with them, cuddling them, etc. We only had a couple of litterboxes bc most of our cats preferred to go outside-- although, I had a cat in Guam who would play outside & then beg to get back in to use the litterbox. She would not go anywhere but in the litterbox up until she got cancer.

Speaking of litterboxes, I need to change the one for the kittens but I need my brother to distract them so I can get the box out without them getting loose. Still have them in a kitty condo thingy to keep them separated from the other cats. Going to start shutting the doors to that room and letting them out to run around & hope Temjin won't destroy things. We do take them out and hold them, but we need to clean up more before they can safely run around in that room.

Didn't do jack for Thanksgiving but sleep. I really needed that sleep. Water went out. Had to go check the pumps. Float lever jammed. I toggled it & went back inside. Forgot to check the jet pump too. It didn't kick back on once the tank filled so I had to go jiggle the cable to the pressure switch. Came back on but started clicking on and off rapidly. Chattering on a pressure switch isn't good. Sign of fried wires, damaged switch, or bad pressure tank.

Went to the post office today to get mail. Wanted to see my friend to spot him some $ but he wasn't home. His paycheck was literally only $2. They garnished all but that $2 & he said they might as well have not even bothered at all. No idea why they took that much out. He's super stressed & still worried about whatever is going on with his vision.

Got some packages. New showerhead & shower arm arrived. I've decided I'm going to put them in my shower instead of the guest bathroom. I'll just get a large handheld for the guest bathroom.

Our Thanks Giving chicken fed us this evening, we still had all the sides, Like Thanks Giving 2.0 ;)

I checked around in my electrical "I may need this some day" box and found just the switch I needed to complete my wiring job. Now I can get the light just where I need it...

The new housing for the car key fob arrived, it took a little doing, but now it is just like new for $8 and yes I did check to make sure it works....

Got the truck loaded and went to the land fill - they were closed. Website says that they are open, but the locks on the gates definately said closed to me....

I need to do something with the truck tomorrow, so I had to unload it in my driveway.... Not Happy. Now it will be next Friday before I can try it again.

Hey @zannej hope your water problem is a cheep fix... Also hope you friend can get everything worked out.. Things are stressful enough with out having lots of issues to deal with to boot.

I plan to take a load to the land-fill today, a dozen old 4' tube lights, some old camping tables with broken legs, and other junk that we have been keeping for the sake of "I might need that someday".....
Since tube lights are supposed to contain hazardous chemicals, we are asked to not put them in our trash bins and not take them to the dump. We have a special place to take such things. I haven't taken anything hazardous there yet. We are allowed one visit a year, and pay a fee of $15 per visit. A few years ago, I broke one of the bulbs that were out to replace light bulbs. I didn't think about it, just swept it up and put it in the trash. Later, after it was gone, I realized I had disposed of something hazardous, and found out where I should have taken it. I also should have used more caution when I cleaned up.

We have had electronics recycling events. There are different fees for certain items, but in my experience, most are free. It may be old televisions that we have to pay for. I keep a pile of stuff in the garage to take. I do not make it every year. One year I had 8 electronic items that I know included a television, 3 printers, and an old projector.
Accepted Items
Automotive fluidsAuto batteries
Chlorine bleachCleaners
Corrosive chemicalsDrain openers
Fluorescent bulbsFluorescent tubes
FertilizersGasoline
Glue adhesivesHerbicides
Hobby chemicalsHousehold batteries*
InsecticidesLatex paint
Mercury and leadMercury thermometers
Mercury thermostatsMotor oil and used filters
Murlactic acidOil-based paint
Paint thinnerPesticides
PolishesPool chemicals
Rust RemoverStains
Spray paintStripper
VarnishesWaxes
Weed killerWood preservatives

Thanks, Ubranhunter. I'm hoping that pressure switch will hold out for awhile longer & that it's not the wires or the pressure tank. Really need to have a good electrician examine stuff and see what's going on. I also need to get some lanterns & go out and adjust the position of the float lever. Installer was in a hurry & put it on crooked which causes some of the problems. The pressure switch is about $20. I need to buy some extras and have them in a plastic bin somewhere.

I have boxes and boxes of those "I may need this someday" things.

My friend has had lousy luck as long as I've known him. No matter how hard he tries life just keeps kicking him in the balls. Whenever it seems like things are starting to go well with him, something bad happens. I wish I could do more to help him. We do help him out financially quite a bit, but we can only do so much.

I'm sitting here waiting for my mom to request dinner.

Spent this afternoon replacing the fuel feed and return lines on my leaf blower. Started on the 3rd pull after a year off. Spent the rest of the day blowing the leaves in a windrow and faking them on a tarp to drag off and spread out on one of the garden spots. Once I've got that done, I'll run the mower over them to chop them up a few times. They'll be broke down nicely by spring.

Since tube lights are supposed to contain hazardous chemicals, we are asked to not put them in our trash bins and not take them to the dump. We have a special place to take such things. I haven't taken anything hazardous there yet. We are allowed one visit a year, and pay a fee of $15 per visit. A few years ago, I broke one of the bulbs that were out to replace light bulbs. I didn't think about it, just swept it up and put it in the trash. Later, after it was gone, I realized I had disposed of something hazardous, and found out where I should have taken it. I also should have used more caution when I cleaned up.

We have had electronics recycling events. There are different fees for certain items, but in my experience, most are free. It may be old televisions that we have to pay for. I keep a pile of stuff in the garage to take. I do not make it every year. One year I had 8 electronic items that I know included a television, 3 printers, and an old projector.
Accepted Items
Automotive fluidsAuto batteries
Chlorine bleachCleaners
Corrosive chemicalsDrain openers
Fluorescent bulbsFluorescent tubes
FertilizersGasoline
Glue adhesivesHerbicides
Hobby chemicalsHousehold batteries*
InsecticidesLatex paint
Mercury and leadMercury thermometers
Mercury thermostatsMotor oil and used filters
Murlactic acidOil-based paint
Paint thinnerPesticides
PolishesPool chemicals
Rust RemoverStains
Spray paintStripper
VarnishesWaxes
Weed killerWood preservatives

I was only taking the fixtures, all the tubes have been removed while I was taking them down (don't want one to bust overhead).

After 5 months without Internet, I am finally online. My previous server could not get a clear enough signal and I had to go with a dish. I am reasonably settled in our new double wide. Today makes six weeks. We had to drill a second well last week as the first well had residual oil in it. Apparently the trace coal leaked I the well. I will be content if the water stays clean. Still getting dirt on occasion. Running two faucets outside right now. Planning for Christmas here in two weeks. We all chip in and have the meal catered. Worked great last year. Easy on me and everybody pays for their family. Trying to finish the last two throws that I am quilting for the twins. Giving all 15 to them for Christmas. Oldest grandson asked to take his with him for his deployment. Will be back maybe next August. He is a Marine on a ship headed to another country. Carried lunch to my mom and brother for Thanksgiving. She will be 90 in December and he had hip replacement two weeks ago. His partner of 24 years died suddenly 2 months ago and he is not in a good state of mind. Planning birthday party for momma also.

Got up early this morning and started replacing electrical outlets on our kitchen remodel. I replaced the ivory with black hardware trying to give it a more modern appearance. I hope to have everything wrapped up this weekend so we can get our lives back together. We have been staying in our shop apartment for almost a month while I work on it.
B60065A2-444B-4FD5-AD30-C7968A9CD373.jpeg

After 5 months without Internet, I am finally online. My previous server could not get a clear enough signal and I had to go with a dish. I am reasonably settled in our new double wide. Today makes six weeks. We had to drill a second well last week as the first well had residual oil in it. Apparently the trace coal leaked I the well. I will be content if the water stays clean. Still getting dirt on occasion. Running two faucets outside right now. Planning for Christmas here in two weeks. We all chip in and have the meal catered. Worked great last year. Easy on me and everybody pays for their family. Trying to finish the last two throws that I am quilting for the twins. Giving all 15 to them for Christmas. Oldest grandson asked to take his with him for his deployment. Will be back maybe next August. He is a Marine on a ship headed to another country. Carried lunch to my mom and brother for Thanksgiving. She will be 90 in December and he had hip replacement two weeks ago. His partner of 24 years died suddenly 2 months ago and he is not in a good state of mind. Planning birthday party for momma also.
Good to see you back! Yay for the internet!

Big day yesterday, big Thanksgiving dinner about 1:30 . Got home about 4:30 , wife felt good , did good , just very tired. Then about 6:00 all my the grands showed up and had a good time talking about younger days and looking back thru all the old photo albums. They left about 9:30.
Today we are resting , will be having plenty left overs.
I'm just thankful the wife is doing better.

Jim

Thank God! Thats the best early wish gift any family could ask for.

Good morning!
Went to Walmart at 7 this morning. There were a few "outs" today. Still not too bad

Came home and DH went to thrift shops.
His friend has been staying with us again due to lots of drama on the girlfriend's part. He's been very stressed and had me call an ambulance a little while ago. He has a history of heart problems and surgeries. They say he is checking out ok right now but, of course, took him anyway.

I don't think I have anything else that I will do today.

Well winter has finally arrived. We got the wood stove fired up , 30 deg this morning when we got up.
High today mid 40s and colder over the next few days.
My buddy that deer hunts my farm every year brought us a bag full of ribeye and Tbone steaks, and ground beef . He gets a cow butchered every year, this year it was a Jersey cow. He says it's the best meat he ever had.
So today we're having Tbones on the grill.
I gotta fill the wood box and bring firewood into house.
Gotta go check water level in my battery pack and fire them back up on the chargers. Been letting them rest a few weeks.

Gonna be a nice day.

We may even go to church tomorrow.
Wife has truly improved , pain free , first time in over 2 years.

Y'all be safe , and have a super duper weekend.

Jim :snowwindow:

I’ll be spending a good part of today pushing the already high snow birms on my half mile long driveway. It looks to be a heavy week of snowfall based on the forecasts, so I need to make room for new snow. After that, more training time with my 18 month old puppy teaching him how to track. Being that he is a beagle, he was born being good at it.

Got word the son has 2 weeks off, he wants to come home but he HAS been treating patients with the China Flu, so even if he comes home, we will have to divide up the house and everyone wear masks... Would love to see him, but it is taking a big risk....

Went for a walk this morning, saw a flock of turkeys, they were BIG, fun to watch..

Got word the son has 2 weeks off, he wants to ...

Went for a walk this morning, saw a flock of turkeys, they were BIG, fun to watch..

They are graceful animals. I was impressed watching a flock transition from flat ground to a steep grade with little effort.

Now if could only figure out how to keep them from turning my onion beds into nesting boxes...

Ben

Glad to see you again.

We got home from my folks' house around lunch time. Unpacked and put away the leftovers we took with us (cheesecake). K started the girls' laundry and blew the leaves from our tree in the front yard. Once he was done I ran to the grocery store for a half gallon of milk and some heavy cream for my morning tea.

I was surprised to see lemon Lysol cleaner and bought the 2 bottle limit. No limits on any thing else in the store. Got water, flour, yeast, shelf stable milk, eggs and some produce. Not many people at the store and the shelves were moderately stocked compared to last week or even the early days of the run on the stores.

Laundry detergent is now being kept in a locked case behind the manager's desk the way they use to keep cigarettes back in the day. Go figure.

Txlady, out of curiosity, which satellite company did you go with? Viasat or Hughesnet? Or something else?

Hashbrown, the shiny black plate covers look great! For my friend's kitchen we got a shiny black switch with stainless steel cover to match the appliances. I'm really tempted to replace all of my house's switches with rocker switches instead of toggle.

We've had litterboxes inside for when cats can't get outside on their own or when the weather is too nasty for them to go out.

My uncle just turned 80 years old. He and his wife live in a retirement community. She's disabled now so he has to do all the cooking and cleaning but the place they live provides meals for them if they want. They got reservations to have the Thanksgiving dinner. He is a master gardener so he has his own gardening club called The Funny Farm. He said he planted turnips, kale, & mustard greens. He also loves butterflies and likes to plant flowers that attract them. He was happy to hear that my brother is going in to teaching. His mother (my grandmother) was a teacher. My uncle used to teach ROTC. His daughter is about to get her teaching certificate. My dad taught Immigration Law at FLETC. I've worked as a tutor, so I guess teaching is something that runs in the family.

Went to Tractor Supply & saw to 30/50 pressure switches. One had a little lever to turn it on and off. My original switch had that so I got that and got the one without just in case (good thing). Picked up my friend, who despite being half blind, was willing to help. I had to chase a spider away before he would set foot in the shed (he's terrified of spiders). Tried the lever switch first. No dice. Wouldn't stay on. Put in the other one and it worked fine. Returned the one that wouldn't work. Clerk asked if I wanted an exchange & I said "No, I bought an extra one just in case". Then I got a 32 piece tool kit for $10 on a whim. It's a magnetic screwdriver thing with multiple heads, a magnet stick, etc. Came with it's own case. I might let my friend borrow it. Thought about getting him one, but since he got a traumatic brain injury, he's stopped taking care of his tools. Loses them or spills them & lets them rust. He's lost or accidentally broken a few of mine so I made sure to put them all in carrying cases & track them down after use (I have some tools over at his house bc he needs to use them from time to time). We still need to finish the trim & put hardware on his cabinets but life has been kicking him in the balls. Speaking of which, he managed to hit his balls on the pressure gauge when he was trying to squat over the pump to put the switch on.

Found out that the source of the wiring for the well shed wasn't where I thought it was. The junction box I replaced turns out to be for a defunct wire. No power to it. I had him use my little detector thingy & he found which wires were hot. So, at some point I will have to use that tool to trace the origins of the wires that run the pump to figure out WTHeck is going on with the power. LOL. There are so many extra wires in there that need to be removed. I'd really love to build a new shed though.

Went to the grocery store later and stocked up on stuff on Mom's list. The shrimp alfredo was available again so I bought a bunch of it. Some stuff they still didn't have. Got her some oranges, cereal, oatmeal, rice cakes, etc. Quaker has some apple cinnamon rice cakes that are good.

I made dinner, cleaned up a dead rat the size of my foot (cats caught it) and cleaned up the hallway a bit. Changed the HVAC filter finally-- I kept forgetting. My brother took the old trash bag out & I put a new one in (I couldn't lift the old one).

Laundry detergent? That's nuts.
Brought daughter and friend Ian into our little town to shop at the thrift store and got an icecream where granddaughter was working. Did stuff around here, visited with neighbor guy, had supper. A lower key day than what we've had. Lots of laundry. Jersey meat is good meat. My cousin gave us 40 lbs of jersey hamburger. It was lean and very good.

Hope everyone is full and well and had a great Thanksgiving. We went ahead one time zone to be with some friends. You might remember from the second episode of the trilogy that I don’t handle time change very well. I was finally able to sleep until 3:30-4AM. Welp, here we go again. It’s quarter after 7 and I can hardly keep my eyes open. Also, had a mocha as a treat yesterday. Hadn’t had one in about a year. Guess my system wasn’t used to that much caffeine and sugar. Didn’t sleep last night. Finally took a nap this morning. I’m toast.

Latest posts

Back