What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went into town, had a takeout lunch in the car, bought a baby gift for our next door neighbor's new little boy, stopped at the pharmacy, and picked up husband's new three wheel reclining bike. Still working on the big barn. Little granddaughter's last day of quarantine, according to the health dept lady who called. She gets to go to school tomorrow. Her teacher stuck a bunch of work in our mailbox last night for her to do today.

I have been busy so I will summarize what happened since last week.

The Princess let goof off so I sorted legos for the g-daughters

20201128_183222[1].jpg

20201128_183228[1].jpg

20201128_183235[1].jpg

20201128_183243[1].jpg

20201128_183301[1].jpg

20201128_183311[1].jpg

The girls really liked results since they can quickly find parts they need.

My brother I returned to the remodel work and have repaired the damaged support beams for half of the front of the house and now have a nice new solid sub-floor.

20201201_145723[1].jpg

Now that the house is sitting solidly on the new structure we have started to remove the flooring for the other half of the front of the house.

20201201_145706[1].jpg

I will doing some clean-up tomorrow and will check on the propane heater. We got about 4" of snow over night and I want to make sure we do not have a freeze issue. We do have heater tape on the pipes but it does not hurt to check.

Ben

Looking for more hay, since ours is so bad the goats and sheep won't eat it. Long story short: I think I am totally losing my faith in humanity. We have rented a property we own half an hour away from our main farm to a farmer since we bought it. We practically let him have it for free before we moved to Virginia, just so he could keep an eye on it, and have livestock on it, fix fencing, cut weeds. He got the entire hay field for free. So we moved here and now we needed at least half the hay from the hay field. We have yet to get decent hay out of this. I am debating if the guy is just a horrible farmer, or a deliberate crook. I am hoping he is just a bad farmer, if the other one, I hope karma gets him. First, he did not tell us he was going to cut the hay until after the fact. Then it rained on it ( just a little, it felt pretty dry when he baled it. Then he told us he couldn't do square bales because it would take longer and it was going to rain again ( he should have checked the damned weather before cutting it!) so he baled round bales. Our contract asks for square bales, since we cannot move round ones. We could only take 1 back on the truck with us, he was supposed to deliver the rest ( he keeps half). It was ok, not too bad. We went back the next day and picked one more up with the truck. He was supposed to deliver the rest the next day. He couldn't because he supposedly had a flat tire. So the rest of the bales sat in the rain for several days ( they are wrapped). He finally delivered them a week later , had the nerve to demand a large delivery fee and they all look like crap. I am thinking maybe he brought us some really crappy old hay from somewhere else , since the first 2 we got are ok. It's brown, sticks together, dusty, moldy, rotten. It's barely good enough for bedding. I am so pissed , I am very tempted to call him and yell at him. But wouldn't fix the problem. I truly cannot imagine that hay wrapped and left in the rain for a few days ( round bales) get into this bad a condition that fast. So yeah, we are absolutely not going to extend his contract even if he owns the property next to ours. If we can't find anyone to cut and bale our hay for us next year, we will just sell the entire property and have enough money to buy hay until after we are long dead. Thanks for listening. I want to post this on FB for everyone to see, but I am too ashamed to be taken advantage of like that

Interesting. I had a cold close to two years ago. I finally went to dr. and was told I had the cold. I think she said two month cold, but I don't remember. I still cough from that, never lost the cough, two years later. Daughter comments about it. Not good in the COVID times to be always coughing. I have wondered what could this be that is still lingering two years.

I wonder if there are some things that affect some of us more or differently, like the asthmatic symptoms your doctor mentioned? I wonder if there might be an herbal remedy for you?

Thats the thing Weedy. I don't have any symptoms now, nor did I before I got sick EVER. Only breathing issues ever would be when I had a cold which typically last a day or three. And when I was sick I was doing inhalers and a nebulizer with typical asthma meds. NOTHING but minimal short term relief. Even did oral steriods twice, no help. The oral steroids is all that worked. But I don't want to stay on them if I don't need them. I don't see him again until April and I'm thinking about staying off them thru Feb and see how it goes.

Cur, I have a lates 70's model Fishers Stereo. The volume pot got noisy in it as well, real noisy. I used some spray cleaner/lube on it and it came right back to normal. Some time before that I had a final output go out, one dead channel. Replace the output and sounds as good as ever. I have replaced it with a Yamaha receiver, but still use the Fisher in the basement. I still use my original Fisher Speakers in the house from the original purchase. Only spoeakers I've ever saw that had built in circuit breakers. Crank it up to far and the breaker kicks before you damage the speakers.

Sonya, I hate to hear about so called farmers that would do stuff like that. He obviously has voided his contract, which don't help you now, but gives you valid reason to run him off.

I would boot his butt out and find someone that can farm. I know where we live, alot of people do this. We do. Fifteen acres that we don't farm, but a cousin does. He helps keep things mowed down, helps with simple repairs. We also have an outbuilding with electricity that two Amish neighbors keep their freezers in. In exchange for repairs and pork when they butcher.

I took Dawn to the Dr today to check on her breathing. She's been increasingly short of breath and was concerned that it was pneumonia. The PA checked her lungs, heart, and all the other stuff. He said it's just part of the long recovery from COVID. Anyway, he gave her some amoxicillin, and, on the way home I got a call from the grade school to sub for the afternoon class with K-1-2 kids. I had a blast with them as always, then went to the garage on my way home to pick up my XTerra which had better run perfectly for the next three years!

I can understand how people want to get a new truck. After ten years, the nickel-and-dime repairs are getting into a couple of hundred bucks!

He is not paying any. The contract was, he takes care of the property including hay field and cuts and square bales half the hay. All we want that property for really is the hay field. And I just don't want to deal with him anymore. I am so annoyed right now
Farmer had a neighbor who owned a livestock trailer. Neighbor offered to take the Farmer’s livestock to market when the Neighbor took his. This arraignment went on for several years until the Farmer learned the Neighbor was selling the best stock as his and the worst stock as the Farmer’s.
Suspect your sharecropper is doing the same.

After noon appt with dentist then feed store rode around town some a little good to be out for a while. On phone looking for heart doctor for dentist to set up next apt. Said I have to have release to do dental work.:thumbs: Found one appt next week with new dr.
Watched an old movie'Tobacco Road. Good day.

I took Dawn to the Dr today to check on her breathing. She's been increasingly short of breath and was concerned that it was pneumonia. The PA checked her lungs, heart, and all the other stuff. He said it's just part of the long recovery from COVID. Anyway, he gave her some amoxicillin, and, on the way home I got a call from the grade school to sub for the afternoon class with K-1-2 kids. I had a blast with them as always, then went to the garage on my way home to pick up my XTerra which had better run perfectly for the next three years!

I can understand how people want to get a new truck. After ten years, the nickel-and-dime repairs are getting into a couple of hundred bucks!

My kids all have newer model cars and trucks. All are in the shop alot. Hubby usually has to work on the auto once they 'fix' ours so he has done all the work for years,it may take awhile but he gets it done.

Last edited:
I would boot his butt out and find someone that can farm. I know where we live, alot of people do this. We do. Fifteen acres that we don't farm, but a cousin does. He helps keep things mowed down, helps with simple repairs. We also have an outbuilding with electricity that two Amish neighbors keep their freezers in. In exchange for repairs and pork when they butcher.

Absolutely! Some friends down the road might be able to cut the hay for us. Problem is the field is not easy to get to. Our Amish neighbors don't have the transportation to get their equipment over to the other place or they would do it here too. We did get some very nice alfalfa hay from them but only 100 bales, we need around 500. I think part of the problem is he feeds his cows crappy hay all the time. Goats and sheep need much better hay than cows. Oh well, I just need to get over it and move on, and just go buy some more good hay.

What nightmare is over?

Hope your daughter ( ?) feels better soon. And yes, we finally gave up on our 40 year old golf cart ( use on the farm) and bought a brand new Polaris Ranger

Yesterday I took my first month's substitute check and bought ten 2"x6"x8' pressure treated boards, the same number of 2x6x10 footers, 16 2' x 8' polycarbonate panels and stored them in the CONEX. Next week (inshallah) I'll get about 12 60-pound bags of sakrete and start on the footers. As long as I can get afternoon temperatures above 45° F, I won't have to worry about the concrete curing (I hope).

I've never done work with the polycarbonate panels or digging and pouring a footing. This ought to be ... interesting.
the holes for the screws and you have to watch that you don't get the screws too tight. As long as you don't get below freezing the concrete will cure, if it gets below freezing wrap tarp or canvas over your pours. Pics show my pours for the solar array frame. I used planter containers with the bottoms cut out and turned upside down for the above ground forms. I used 12 90 pound sacks of redi-mix, that was not fun considering having congestive heart failure the year before.
DSC00021.JPG

Yesterday I took my first month's substitute check and bought ten 2"x6"x8' pressure treated boards, the same number of 2x6x10 footers, 16 2' x 8' polycarbonate panels and stored them in the CONEX. Next week (inshallah) I'll get about 12 60-pound bags of sakrete and start on the footers. As long as I can get afternoon temperatures above 45° F, I won't have to worry about the concrete curing (I hope).

I've never done work with the polycarbonate panels or digging and pouring a footing. This ought to be ... interesting.
I used Sun-Tuf corrugated polycarbonate to cover a few areas over our deck, you have to pre-drill
the holes for the screws and you have to watch that you don't get the screws too tight. As long as you don't get below freezing the concrete will cure, if it gets below freezing wrap tarp or canvas over your pours. Pics show my pours for the solar array frame. I used planter containers with the bottoms cut out and turned upside down for the above ground forms. I used 12 90 pound sacks of redi-mix, that was not fun considering having congestive heart failure the year beforeView attachment 54306

I have been busy so I will summarize what happened since last week.

The Princess let goof off so I sorted legos for the g-daughters

View attachment 54295

View attachment 54296

View attachment 54297

View attachment 54298

View attachment 54299

View attachment 54300

The girls really liked results since they can quickly find parts they need.

My brother I returned to the remodel work and have repaired the damaged support beams for half of the front of the house and now have a nice new solid sub-floor.

View attachment 54301

Now that the house is sitting solidly on the new structure we have started to remove the flooring for the other half of the front of the house.

View attachment 54302

I will doing some clean-up tomorrow and will check on the propane heater. We got about 4" of snow over night and I want to make sure we do not have a freeze issue. We do have heater tape on the pipes but it does not hurt to check.

Ben
When my daughter played with legos and other things with small pieces, I would go into her room after she had company and all of it would be on the floor: the Legos, Lightbright lights, everything. I had the feeling that one of her friends came over and just dumped everything on the floor. I can't help but look at those legos and think of the mess that can be made with them. That might be why someone threw them away.

We have learned to do things timely , as the years go by.
Instead of waiting until Christmas week to have a cookie making , popcorn eating and threading, movie watching , hot dogs and mac and cheese, strawberries with dipping chocolate, games, then all of the grand kids spending the night with granny and papa.
Except the oldest , who is bringing his girlfriend, which we love her too, they will be leaving at some point.( I think he's gonna marry that girl.
FB_IMG_1596463810498.jpg

That's our day today and tonight , starting in about 2 hours.

What better way to spend the day , and night.

I hope yalls day is a great one also.

Jim

I'm resting today as much as possible.
Grand daughter Estelle and I will be making new memories tomorrow.
We will be making cookies together.
She is such a good helper some of the time.
Other times she's a butt.
But in all fairness, she's 3 years old too.
We will eat leftover popcorn balls from Halloween, watch both versions of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".
Take Strawberry outside several times.
Her and Strawberry will fuss at each other.
If Granny gets lucky, maybe Estelle and Strawberry will take a nap at some point.
We will have sew on her new sewing machine too.
Eat "noodles" with mushrooms, bits of leftover meat of some kind.
Memories are being made tomorrow.

I put socks on today.
Baby, it's cold outside 23* right now.
Strawberry has been walked this morning.
Her dog walker was wrapped up like "Abondible Snowman".
Working on her "Ugly" sweater for Strawberry's Christmas present.
Working getting Baby Reign's blanket finished this week.
Sipping coffee.
Will have to cook something later.
Before I left Thanksgiving night all the leftovers went into chest freezer.
That's all I know.
Not a lot I know.
But that's life.
And sometimes what I do know can't always share.
That's also life.

Last edited:
I move into my school on the 13th. Will have to use a porta potty and do sponge baths for two weeks while a new above ground septic system is put in. Turns out the owner wrecked the septic bed when he dug trenches for the out door boiler pipes.

He tried to hide the problem by pumping the tank every night out onto the old play ground. He didn't account for me taking a shovel out and digging holes to check the 'dirt' out. That, and a random drive by reveilled a nasty stench at 9 pm.

A call to the health authorities had them out retesting the water among other things and an emergency approval for the new septic bed; all at the owners expense. My lawyer will be holding back the appropriate amount of money to pay for everything on top of the new price reduction on the property. That non disclosure cost the owner big time.

Nothing ever goes off without a hitch.

I move into my school on the 13th. Will have to use a porta potty and do sponge baths for two weeks while a new above ground septic system is put in. Turns out the owner wrecked the septic bed when he dug trenches for the out door boiler pipes.

He tried to hide the problem by pumping the tank every night out onto the old play ground. He didn't account for me taking a shovel out and digging holes to check the 'dirt' out. That, and a random drive by reveilled a nasty stench at 9 pm.

A call to the health authorities had them out retesting the water among other things and an emergency approval for the new septic bed; all at the owners expense. My lawyer will be holding back the appropriate amount of money to pay for everything on top of the new price reduction on the property. That non disclosure cost the owner big time.

Nothing ever goes off without a hitch.
Good Luck ClemKaddlehopper.

I used Sun-Tuf corrugated polycarbonate to cover a few areas over our deck, you have to pre-drill
the holes for the screws and you have to watch that you don't get the screws too tight. As long as you don't get below freezing the concrete will cure, if it gets below freezing wrap tarp or canvas over your pours. Pics show my pours for the solar array frame. I used planter containers with the bottoms cut out and turned upside down for the above ground forms. I used 12 90 pound sacks of redi-mix, that was not fun considering having congestive heart failure the year beforeView attachment 54306
Great post, OPHOTM (Only Person Here Older Than Me)! :) I do have a question, though: with my joist-hangers mounted in the Concrete cylinders, like you did, how can I get a wall which goes down to ground level? Your approach is just as strong as mine and costs less, too, but I don't want to lay out floor-joists and build a floor, especially with all the water from the greenhouse's watering system.

Great post, OPHOTM (Only Person Here Older Than Me)! :) I do have a question, though: with my joist-hangers mounted in the Concrete cylinders, like you did, how can I get a wall which goes down to ground level? Your approach is just as strong as mine and costs less, too, but I don't want to lay out floor-joists and build a floor, especially with all the water from the greenhouse's watering system.
My German is rusty.
Had to look it up.
Thank you.

Little granddaughter was cleared from quarantine and first day back at school. I went in to talk to the admin lady about her mom being in town somewhere and that she can't pick her up. The school is secure, you have to buzz to get into it, and there's no other way in. 25 students. Her mama has a large blue stripe tattoo across her face (like a ninja turtle mask) so she's easy to spot. I don't think she'll actually try that, but it's the only school around for many miles, so it's easy to assume that's where she goes.
Off to town to stock up on some fresh fruit and veggies. And tbones. They are on sale for $5.99 a lb. Thinking I should try to find some Christmas stuff in the big building that is full of boxes I haven't unpacked.

Amish, Hopefully the girl's birthmom will get bored with the lifestyle there and move on. I'm glad your girl was able to get back to school.
No Christmas stuff out here yet. I don't feel like it. I get moody in early January and don't want to put it away. Everything has changed and feels different, kids are grown.
Today's to do list, same as yesterday. Nothing. Feeling cruddy. I do have assignments to wrap up. Job searching. Plenty of jobs here.

Sigh. Haven't heard from the fellow in jail.
DH's dad fell and broke both side of his ankle this morning at 86 years old and tested positive for covid at the hospital in FL.
My chest freezer is still missing and customer service and the actual fed ex facility can't even agree on where it may be.
Still no walk.
Went to town for decaf tea for DH and hit thrift stores (and fed ex).
Home now and just exhausted.

Little granddaughter was cleared from quarantine and first day back at school. I went in to talk to the admin lady about her mom being in town somewhere and that she can't pick her up. The school is secure, you have to buzz to get into it, and there's no other way in. 25 students. Her mama has a large blue stripe tattoo across her face (like a ninja turtle mask) so she's easy to spot. I don't think she'll actually try that, but it's the only school around for many miles, so it's easy to assume that's where she goes.
Off to town to stock up on some fresh fruit and veggies. And tbones. They are on sale for $5.99 a lb. Thinking I should try to find some Christmas stuff in the big building that is full of boxes I haven't unpacked.
Not sure what I've posted as we've been on the go quite a bit lately. Glad GD is able to go back to school! We have lived here nearly 2 years and I am still trying to go through things and part with things. Just this past Sunday, folks came and got the rest of the huge bedroom set. Sold (cheap) the old wood cook stove that needed too much work. We also took a full pick-up bed to the dump and another car trunk full to donation. That did 2 things: it allowed me to get to the Christmas tote, and it gave us soooo much more room in the garage. We're still not done though. I have a china hutch listed on Craigslist now and need to get another load to go to donation. It just takes time. Hope you find the Christmas box(es) easily. As we clear stuff out, I'm liking it more and more.

Sigh. Haven't heard from the fellow in jail.
DH's dad fell and broke both side of his ankle this morning at 86 years old and tested positive for covid at the hospital in FL.
My chest freezer is still missing and customer service and the actual fed ex facility can't even agree on where it may be.
Still no walk.
Went to town for decaf tea for DH and hit thrift stores (and fed ex).
Home now and just exhausted.

My goodness hope he heals ok. Thats bad for a 86 y.o.. Hope your greezer is found soon.LadyL.

Got a call from K this morning. His company is having layoffs. Several of the superintendents were let go but K was offered the option to go back to his previous job and pay(hourly). I think it is because he didn't leave the union when he was promoted but kept his union benefits rather than pay out of pocket for it all. The superintendent who was promoted at the same time and sucks at his job to the point the company was putting his work on K's plate got to keep his job and salary. So now I have to rework our budget and figure out how we are going to continue saving for our homestead at the current rate. It looks like we may have to save less as K will get less and rent for a tad longer then we wanted. We have 2 years left on our lease and we can cover everything but it will be a tad tight.

Still waiting for K to call again with all the updated info such as what happens with his paid vacation days he earned and his paid sick days. I also want to know when the payday switch happens.

Glad we got the second freezer and have it mostly filled!

Back