What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday we got some cutting boards for my friend (the crappy bamboo one he had was falling apart). I picked up mail and went to drop them off. Got annoyed bc his ex was over there for no reason. She's desperately trying to get him to take her back. He had a new puppy. I was going to post pics but the poor puppy didn't survive the night (she was lethargic so I think she was sick). Wasn't feeling great so went back home with a headache.

Still got a headache today. Felt a little better this morning and actually had eggs for breakfast, but am tired. It didn't really rain much but the barometric pressure was making me feel worse. Headache doesn't seem to want to go. I've got a cat on my shoulder purring for me and that helps at least. There are a couple of them on my legs too. It's supposed to get colder tonight so I expect more to pile on. I woke up sweating pretty badly earlier-- think I had a fever again.

I've had a hard time finding good pillows. Either they are good at first and then flatten out or they aren't as comfortable once I get them home. Memory foam ones get too hard in the cold. My newest favorite pillow is a BeautyRest Copper Pillow that I found in clearance. It's like memory foam but it has perforations. It's nice and soft. It does have an odd smell at first though. It's flattened a little bit since I got it a few months ago, but not as much as previous pillows I've had. I need to find more long roll pillows. I got some at Fred's years ago but the stuffing is all crushed. I sleep with one at my back for support and another in front (I'm a side sleeper). I've heard putting them in the dryer is supposed to fluff them back out but I don't know. They are due to be washed soon so I can find out.

K complained his Mypillow went flat. Then I threw it in the dryer like the tag said. The thing got fluffy and firm again! He tosses it in the dryer every few months to re-fluff it. Greatest pillow ever!

Little granddaughter will be visiting her mom and the boyfriend today so I said we can meet them for lunch at Braums in the bigger town. That will keep them out of our house and our town at least. Husband has been feeling good after covid, and we decided we are going out to a nice restaurant tonight. So reservations have been made, and the kids decided it would be fun to visit my mom while we're out; she's their great grandma. So she is over the top about it, and I'll make some "easy to chew" dinner for them to bring (thinking homemade mac and cheese and corn casserole), and she says she has pie for dessert. Other than that, it's below freezing outside, so I'll probably get the housework done today.

@Grimm
I'm still wondering what those ' MY PILLOWS ' are made of.What is the filling? I have a very keen sense of smell. I have yet to find a pillow that doesn't smell like my head is stuck inside a formaldehyde tank. You can really tell after sleeping on pillow for a few hours and it heats up. I have to throw them off the bed plus some will get litttle granuals in them once heated, very very weird :ghostly: .
So lately I've put some clothes inside a zippered pillow case and just use that, no smell, no wierdness.I'm pretty much done with whatever petroleum crap they fill these pillows with now a days.

Hope all have a good day.

Our gubmit checks came in today: $1200 for the two of us. (I liked the idea of $4000, but Mitch McConnell doesn't return my phone calls anymore!) Anyway, Dawn has given me a third of it, which is just enough to get the materials for three 12' X 4' raised beds. I'm going to hook up the trailer after lunch and go get the stuff: five 12-foot 2x4s, three 8-foot 2X4s, and three 12-foot by 2-foot corrugated aluminum panels for each one.

I have the tools I need and probably all of the fasteners, so when I bring them into the garage, we can put the riding mower and Dawn's car outside, and build them all tomorrow in the garage -- hopefully in one day, if we get up early and don't screw anything up!

I have put off the idea of the greenhouse for now, I didn't realize that I need to pour footers and spend about 500 just on the polycarbonate panels. What I suppose I'll do it to fix the raised bed with 3/4" PVC pipes and just some clear plastic sheeting to make a hoop-house. The important thing is to start now. I'd like to have 8 of those beds by March so I can get the fill dirt in and ready for a two-month head start on some of my veggies.

I'm planning on using the "hügelkultur" method for the first three raised beds. I have never used this approach before. Has anyone used hügelkultur in raised beds? If so, I'd like to hear how it worked out for you....

Our gubmit checks came in today: $1200 for the two of us. (I liked the idea of $4000, but Mitch McConnell doesn't return my phone calls anymore!) Anyway, Dawn has given me a third of it, which is just enough to get the materials for three 12' X 4' raised beds. I'm going to hook up the trailer after lunch and go get the stuff: five 12-foot 2x4s, three 8-foot 2X4s, and three 12-foot by 2-foot corrugated aluminum panels for each one.

I have the tools I need and probably all of the fasteners, so when I bring them into the garage, we can put the riding mower and Dawn's car outside, and build them all tomorrow in the garage -- hopefully in one day, if we get up early and don't screw anything up!

I have put off the idea of the greenhouse for now, I didn't realize that I need to pour footers and spend about 500 just on the polycarbonate panels. What I suppose I'll do it to fix the raised bed with 3/4" PVC pipes and just some clear plastic sheeting to make a hoop-house. The important thing is to start now. I'd like to have 8 of those beds by March so I can get the fill dirt in and ready for a two-month head start on some of my veggies.

I'm planning on using the "hügelkultur" method for the first three raised beds. I have never used this approach before. Has anyone used hügelkultur in raised beds? If so, I'd like to hear how it worked out for you....

I pur up a thread on hugelkulture in Gardening forum. it worked great then I had stroke and stopped using it.

@Grimm
I'm still wondering what those ' MY PILLOWS ' are made of.What is the filling? I have a very keen sense of smell. I have yet to find a pillow that doesn't smell like my head is stuck inside a formaldehyde tank. You can really tell after sleeping on pillow for a few hours and it heats up. I have to throw them off the bed plus some will get litttle granuals in them once heated, very very weird :ghostly: .
So lately I've put some clothes inside a zippered pillow case and just use that, no smell, no wierdness.I'm pretty much done with whatever petroleum crap they fill these pillows with now a days.

Hope all have a good day.

They are a mixture of different types of foam, shredded. I never noticed a smell even after washing them. I am very very sensitive to smells.

They are a mixture of different types of foam, shredded. I never noticed a smell even after washing them. I am very very sensitive to smells.

Thats good and I don't own a My Pillow so can't speak for them but all foam is a form of petro chemicles. So I'll pass on them too. But if it works for everyone ok with me. I just prefer not to use it. I do like the man who owns the My Pillow co. though and wish him well.

Unpacked 972-1053 out of 3 million boxes , feels like it anyways, this morning. Now figuring out how to set up an invisible fence for the big pooches. I need to build a quicky puppy house out of packing materials and hang a couple heat lamps.

The puppies are residing in the main boot room at the moment and I need to get them out side. They are six weeks old and making a horrendous mess and it is impossible to walk through there with four of them tangling up my feet.

Unpacked 972-1053 out of 3 million boxes , feels like it anyways, this morning. Now figuring out how to set up an invisible fence for the big pooches. I need to build a quicky puppy house out of packing materials and hang a couple heat lamps.

The puppies are residing in the main boot room at the moment and I need to get them out side. They are six weeks old and making a horrendous mess and it is impossible to walk through there with four of them tangling up my feet.

I love little puppies and kittens but can't take care of them at the time.

Got my new phone set up. I ordered it a week or so ago but have been playing cat and mouse with my current provider to get the transfer code to switch. So, when I finally got a real person on the phone I explained the issue and was told I just needed to call the new provider and tell them the number was unlocked. I pushed the issue so hard she called them from her end and after we waited on hold together for over an hour the new provider told her the same thing I did- they need the code. The three of us went round and round in circles for 20 minutes til verizon finally gave up the code! VICTORY! I now have a new phone with a new provider for 50% less a month! No contract too!

Mo, I'm glad to hear your new washer and dryer are working well but sorry to hear about your foot. Has your doctor suggested soaking your foot in anything? I hope it feels better soon.

Duncan, I'm glad to hear you got your stimulus check and are putting it to good use.

I talked to my friend very briefly online and he's going back to work on Monday. I'm trying to find a good day to take him to Upullit to get more parts for his truck.

I should be going for a walk, but I'm nice and warm right now with 6 cats. Sun is shining in the window-- I normally don't like that, but today it feels good. I've been forcing myself to get up in the morning and eat breakfast. Hopefully that will help. Been drinking about a liter of water every day but I probably need to drink more. My doctor wanted me to keep track of how much water I was drinking, but I forgot.

Last time I went for a walk I looked at my front fenceline. I saw some of my metal fenceposts up in the air attached to tree roots from upturned trees. I will have to get pictures at some point. Wish I knew people in the area who had the equipment to cut up large oak trees into boards. Many of the fallen trees are oak. I may talk to Mike (the nice neighbor) about salvaging some of the wood to use for my friend's butcherblock countertop. I'd pay him for it of course. Too bad the timber company is only interested in pine.

Heard from another friend who owes us $ and wanted to know if we needed work done in the yard (I think he wants to be paid, but he never worked off the debt he owes) but I said he needs doctor approval first bc he has a back injury & I don't want him trying to sue us if he re-injures himself. Although, more importantly, I want to make sure he's actually healthy enough to do the work without hurting himself because I don't want him to get hurt.

If I can motivate myself to get up again I will see if it's warm enough to go to the barn, put on some gloves, and try to salvage more stuff. Hoping I can get the bags with the carpet remnants to safety. There are also some glass panels/shelves I want to save.

Moved all our Christmas decorations to the basement and hung some new LED flourecant lights. Also got the chain saw out and did more grubbing. I cut the whole time, so I have a huge pile of brush to haul to the brush pile. maybe 1 or 2 days and I'll have that area cleaned up. It's in a fence row so I'm having to be careful to keep the saw away from the fencing. Lots of honeysuckle and it's driving me nuts tryin to cut it all out. Plus 2 good size trees. One had 5 seperate branches from the main trunk. I've got 3 of them cut down. The other tree should come down easier. But it all needs to be down and cleaned up before I can start building my new beds.

Duncan, your plans sound pretty much like what I plan to build. I built 2 last spring and loaded the bottom almost half with logs and limbs, then finished them with mushroom compost. Only have one season on it, but so far I am very pleased. I am saving most of the wood I'm cutting up to load in my new beds. Still have more trees that need to come down, but I'm working on certain things and try to get to the end with everything together.

Moved all our Christmas decorations to the basement and hung some new LED flourecant lights. Also got the chain saw out and did more grubbing. I cut the whole time, so I have a huge pile of brush to haul to the brush pile. maybe 1 or 2 days and I'll have that area cleaned up. It's in a fence row so I'm having to be careful to keep the saw away from the fencing. Lots of honeysuckle and it's driving me nuts tryin to cut it all out. Plus 2 good size trees. One had 5 seperate branches from the main trunk. I've got 3 of them cut down. The other tree should come down easier. But it all needs to be down and cleaned up before I can start building my new beds.

Duncan, your plans sound pretty much like what I plan to build. I built 2 last spring and loaded the bottom almost half with logs and limbs, then finished them with mushroom compost. Only have one season on it, but so far I am very pleased. I am saving most of the wood I'm cutting up to load in my new beds. Still have more trees that need to come down, but I'm working on certain things and try to get to the end with everything together.

I didn't you built those, did I forget or did you keep it a secret,lol.Ours has fallen about 3 feet in past 2 1/2 yr.s now.

Mine is different from yours. The 2 beds I made were 2x12 lumber, 2 high for 24" i put in log, limbs to a depth of 12" then compost on top. The wood was mainly fresh cut, so I doubt much of any rotting has occured yet. The new beds I want to build will be similar, except some of the wood is already decaying mixed with fresh cut wood. I expect they will drop quicker. I'll back fill the compost as needed each year.

I ended up having stomach issues and not going outside. Then my friend's crazy ex started messaging me and being a total nutjob. She kept telling me he wants her back but is ignoring her and how he really wants to work things out but why isn't he answering her messages and wanting to know if I'd heard from him. I messaged him about her pestering me and seeming delusional. He said she's totally nuts and sent screenshots of her literally begging him to take her back and him repeatedly telling her "No". She claims she's happy with her new boyfriend but she wants to control my friend. She got super jealous that he helped another female friend by going to her house and putting together a bed for the friend's kids. She does not get that she blew it and needs to let him go. I told her she's acting like his previous ex now and needs to stop it and move on.
My brother woke me up to tell me about some guy tasering himself in the nuts and dying. So, now I'm awake and trying to figure out how to adjust to get back to sleep without upsetting all of the cats piled on me. At least I still have my blankets.
Went to the bathroom earlier, came back, and all of my blankets were gone. Dog had dragged them off the side of the bed. Went to pick them up and out popped the dog.

Folks, I have a question about using chicken-poop in my garden. Once a week Dawn and I go out and clean out the three coops; we take the straw out, too, and refill the coops with fresh straw. Instead of throwing it away, I'm keeping it in empty feed bags and I have about seven of them pretty tightly packed.

We do have a compost-heap, but I was thinking of just mixing that bag with the soil in my garden, till it under, and use it in the spring in my raised beds. My question is this: I know chicken poop and straw make good compost, but if I till it in now and let it set for three months or so, will that be time enough for the poop mixture to decay and not take a chance on burning my crops?

Got a bunch of crazy emails this morning around 2am, and at the same time, saw our credit card was used to order a bunch of stuff for pick up this morning at Sams Club in Houston. So, husband has been busy cancelling it all. Funny order: over $500 in beauty products and baby formula. Hopefully the diva will get to the Sams in Houston this morning and it'll be denied. We order Sams online about every two weeks and it was the credit card that we had on file with them. Going to the bigger town for some tennis shoes and leggings for little granddaughter, and going to my favorite cousins tonight for family dinner.

Lin Tran in Houston is going to try to pick up a Sams Club order at 11 am today. Hopefully not. But the credit card company won't charge us for it. But still hope they bust her. People are supposed to show a sams club card at pickup, but I'm sure some people find ways to slide around it. And no one gets busted anymore, makes me mad.

Lin Tran in Houston is going to try to pick up a Sams Club order at 11 am today. Hopefully not. But the credit card company won't charge us for it. But still hope they bust her. People are supposed to show a sams club card at pickup, but I'm sure some people find ways to slide around it. And no one gets busted anymore, makes me mad.

I'm expecting this kind of thing to get alot worse for us. Like the IRS came after us a few years ago,only conservatives got attacked.
Now they will come after our finances .

Jim put up a personal steam breather last week or so and I ordred the exact one from Amazon.
They sent me a big fat room steamer instead holds about a gallon! So now guess they just send whatever they want to send .I don't care for the room vaporaizers.They mainly seem to wet whatever they are closest to like your bed or within a few feet of the unit.

Today, I made the shelves for the wife's african violets, they will double her growing space and give her extra storage space for empty pots. I also installed grow lights and a timer so she will not have to think about it much. Because I diverted my grow lights to her stuff, I am now short (again).

We did church this morning and it was good. Reminds me to look at my personal relationships more, strive to live with internal peace, and block out the discord of the world.

This afternoon I plan to finish installing a baffel in the dryer vent line and then finish sorting and putting away screws and nails. I have been saving my wife's used mixed nut containers and I think I now have enough to put all my nails and screws in them. This will help me with my organization and eliminate rust issues.

Yesterday the wife used a pound of the carrots from the outdoor covered raised beds in her soup, I was glad to see that they are still good this late in the year. I still have about 24' of row (equivalant) left to harvest, so we will not be buying any cooking carrots for a while.

I am disapointed in myself as I have made some purchases this week against my personal desire to do a general boycot, I will try to better at this in the future.

Latest posts

Back