What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I am starting a household inventory. I am starting with first aid and health items. I dug out the odd totes from the garage that have first aid items. So far a bunch of it is getting chucked because it is old or damaged from being put in the garage (
:rolleyes: ) or water/rat etc. Most of it is still usable but I want to have a list of what we do have and what needs to be replaced asap.

I did find a tote with the things from our BOBs. It looks like someone dumped them out in to this very large tote and did something with the bags since I can't find them. But then that is what this inventory and whole house purge is for. Right?

Jess on Roots and Ruefuge on YouTube uses beds built like that and they seem to hold up well.
Thanks Terri! I especially liked her writeup on cattle fence arches between the two raised beds. It's a great way to maximize the bed area and makes the garden look a lot better, too.

We were given ski tickets for yesterday so went in the morning. We haven’t had much snow so it was like spring skiing- icy in the morning then slushy as it warmed up. We left about 1:30, grabbed some lunch at a little Greek eatery we like to support then changed and headed up to the mountain house to take a crawl space cover and bring back a fuel tank. We were going to leave it but decided the way things are going, we are better off having it and filling it with e-free. So it’s here and I will call tomorrow to see if they deliver e-free. Otherwise we will do it via 55 gal drum and transfer pump 1 barrel at a time. Hubby went into work today and I finished up the laundry, made oatmeal monsters and finally found about an hour to stitch. Tomorrow is back to work.

Checked out our first gun show in this state, but got there about an hour before closing, so missed some of the tables that were packing up. Smaller than the ones we're used to seeing, but good. Lots of 9's for sale, and 22's, not a whole lot else. A big display of AR parts. Not many women there, either, so that was a little odd. Especially when I start talking to a vendor. Thought I hit the jackpot on Henry Rifle display, turned out they were all 22's.
Had a fun evening at my cousin's house for dinner. We are planning her daughter's 39th bday breakfast/party at the end of the month. So far I am assigned to bring the yogurt, fresh berries, homemade granola, and lots of chocolate.

I woke up sick. Not sure what it was-- maybe something I ate. Backside turned into a faucet. Took some anti-diarrhea meds and slept most of the day. Fortunately my mom slept most of the day too. She stopped taking her thyroid meds because she doesn't like the packaging for it. So, I will have to talk to her doctor about talking to the pharmacist about getting her back on the kind she had before that came in a bottle. She claims the new stuff doesn't work as well or something & just announced that she's stopped taking it. It could be psychosomatic or it could be that she's just too lazy to deal with the blister packages. I will have to get the pills out of it for her. I can't be certain it's in her head because they switched mine to blister packets and when they did, the medicine stopped working. Not sure if it is just less effective or if something changed with my body to make it need higher doses. I suspect it could be a little of both-- but I also had a weird side effect with the newer stuff that I had when I first started the original medicine. It's stopped now, but there was something with the change in medicine that triggered it. I tried to get mom to explain what it is was about the new meds that made her want to stop taking it and all she said was "I don't like it". Reminds me of a comedy routine about how old people say "I don't like it" without any further explanation.

I'm thinking of going and eating some more banana strawberry yogurt because I'm hungry and I want to eat something healthier than potato chips.

Also, I got a container of Utz mixed snacks just because I wanted the jar they were in. Has tortilla chips, doritos, pretzels, and cheetohs mixed in, but my favorite thing is the lid on the container. I can use it to store other stuff once I get my family members to consume the contents.

goshengirl, it does sound like a Carol Burnett routine. I love that show. They have ruruns on TV and it's always fun to watch. I wish I could remember the name of the comedian-- Nick something maybe? He talked about old people saying "I don't like it" and then saying that he wanted to do that when he was old and then instead of just repeating "I don't like it" he would say "It tastes like wolf p***y!" just to confuse people.

The medicine worked & I'm feeling better now. Body feels drained. I ate some yogurt and I'm trying to get settled in for the night under my pile of cats.

Today is an early day (Actually, I didn't go to bed so it might just be a long night), the wife's best friend is off today and they are planning some "girl" time at the fabric store. The wife can't drive and being able to go someplace without me is a big deal now days, the logistics of the wife's wheelchair and medical equipment alone are a nightmare, so for someone to take her someplace like the fabric store is not trivial. The wife's nurse will be here at 08:00 to change the dressing around her central port, take her blood and vitals, then around 09:00 she will go to the mall, she was up a 06:00 all getty with excitement. Life teaches us to treasure the little things, we don't realize how special they are until we can't do them anymore.....

I am finishing a 4 day weekend and as a result I am having a TV marathon hangover (I watched 3 seasons of a stupid show that I didn't watch when it originally aired), it's so stupid, it's like popcorn for the brain.... Today, I plan to clean up and get organize in the food storage and indoor growing areas.

By the way, the lunch bread we made yesterday turned out perfect! Good texture and crumb, not too sweet, but mild pleasant flavor. We were afraid the yeast had gone bad, but it was just that the house was too cold for it to work quickly.

I am hoping everyone has a healthy and productive day.

Urban

Today is an early day (Actually, I didn't go to bed so it might just be a long night), the wife's best friend is off today and they are planning some "girl" time at the fabric store. The wife can't drive and being able to go someplace without me is a big deal now days, the logistics of the wife's wheelchair and medical equipment alone are a nightmare, so for someone to take her someplace like the fabric store is not trivial. The wife's nurse will be here at 08:00 to change the dressing around her central port, take her blood and vitals, then around 09:00 she will go to the mall, she was up a 06:00 all getty with excitement. Life teaches us to treasure the little things, we don't realize how special they are until we can't do them anymore.....

I am finishing a 4 day weekend and as a result I am having a TV marathon hangover (I watched 3 seasons of a stupid show that I didn't watch when it originally aired), it's so stupid, it's like popcorn for the brain.... Today, I plan to clean up and get organize in the food storage and indoor growing areas.

By the way, the lunch bread we made yesterday turned out perfect! Good texture and crumb, not too sweet, but mild pleasant flavor. We were afraid the yeast had gone bad, but it was just that the house was too cold for it to work quickly.

I am hoping everyone has a healthy and productive day.

Urban
That’s awesome Urban. Hope Mrs has an enjoyable day.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to go have a tooth pulled. Hoping for no problems and he is in a good mood. On the positive sside that will be one that will never give me tooth ache or problems. I'm still not looking forward to it,of course.Be glad when its over.

I'm back.
Been busy.
Had some business to take care of again.
Saw oldest grand daughter yesterday for a bit.
She held on to me the whole time she was here.
Wouldn't let me out of her sight.
My uniforms have been cleaned.
They're back in the closet till needed the next time.
Estelle(grand daughter) didn't know me till I took off my coat.
She doesn't remember seeing me in uniform before.
Got a pot of fresh vegetables simmering in the crock pot.
Strawberry has been taken care of while I was gone.
She got walked this morning.
Dishes are done.
Floors swept.
Bathroom cleaned.
Laundry washed, most of it dried, most of it put away.
Resting now.
Sometime in the near future will have to go get fresh vegetable and coffee.
Resting now.
Decompressing from the last few days.
Jim, hope Mrs. Jim gets better.
Hope everybody gets well.
I like the raised bed.

Flying back to AZ this afternoon. It was an eventful week. Pops had an apparent cardiac episode during a spirited game of dominoes while my daughter and I were visiting. The doc thinks it was another V Tac episode. It was like a mild stroke, where his face went blank and he was unresponsive for a couple minutes, then he came right out of it. They are preparing to put in a pacemaker at the hospital.

My daughter was present for it. It shook her up. I'm trying to prepare her for the fact that her grandparents aren't going to be here forever, and it's not easy for either of us...

I'm back.
Been busy.
Had some business to take care of again.
Saw oldest grand daughter yesterday for a bit.
She held on to me the whole time she was here.
Wouldn't let me out of her sight.
My uniforms have been cleaned.
They're back in the closet till needed the next time.
Estelle(grand daughter) didn't know me till I took off my coat.
She doesn't remember seeing me in uniform before.
Got a pot of fresh vegetables simmering in the crock pot.
Strawberry has been taken care of while I was gone.
She got walked this morning.
Dishes are done.
Floors swept.
Bathroom cleaned.
Laundry washed, most of it dried, most of it put away.
Resting now.
Sometime in the near future will have to go get fresh vegetable and coffee.
Resting now.
Decompressing from the last few days.
Jim, hope Mrs. Jim gets better.
Hope everybody gets well.
I like the raised bed.
All of the laundry is washed, dried and put away.
Made ham omelet for lunch.
Still got to go get coffee- later. maybe.
Resting.

Flying back to AZ this afternoon. It was an eventful week. Pops had an apparent cardiac episode during a spirited game of dominoes while my daughter and I were visiting. The doc thinks it was another V Tac episode. It was like a mild stroke, where his face went blank and he was unresponsive for a couple minutes, then he came right out of it. They are preparing to put in a pacemaker at the hospital.

My daughter was present for it. It shook her up. I'm trying to prepare her for the fact that her grandparents aren't going to be here forever, and it's not easy for either of us...
Prayers, Spikedriver.

Tooth pulled was there about 20 minutes,came out to parking lot took me in ,munbed it up few minutes laater came in pulled it about 30 seconds, and I was out of there to the tune of $387 for oral surgion,but I like it done by the best and they ain't cheap. Almost $400 for about 5 minutes his time, he had an whole office full waiting in the chairs so he went from onr to the other.Hope no problems .

We took the granddaughters on a road trip yesterday to let them explore the progress fixing up that old house. They enjoyed the crawl space and invented a game visiting all of the corners. The game wasn't over until they were rolling around on the concrete and getting covered in concrete and saw dust.

20210117_154855.jpg

Today I worked with my brother now that he is better. He dismantled the flooring near the back door while I loaded the debris into the pickup. The beams that supported the flooring was a puzzlement. We suspect there was a porch that was added on to a kitchen that was added on. The house is well over 100 years old.
20210118_145959.jpg

It may not be obvious from that image but the back corner had the same termite damage that we fixed in the front of the house. The outer wall is basically sitting on sawdust.

20210118_145951.jpg

We suspect there was a hand pump on the porch to draw up water from the cistern below.

20210118_150019.jpg

We intend to continue tomorrow.

Behave

Ben

We took the granddaughters on a road trip yesterday to let them explore the progress fixing up that old house. They enjoyed the crawl space and invented a game visiting all of the corners. The game wasn't over until they were rolling around on the concrete and getting covered in concrete and saw dust.

View attachment 57106

Today I worked with my brother now that he is better. He dismantled the flooring near the back door while I loaded the debris into the pickup. The beams that supported the flooring was a puzzlement. We suspect there was a porch that was added on to a kitchen that was added on. The house is well over 100 years old.
View attachment 57103

It may not be obvious from that image but the back corner had the same termite damage that we fixed in the front of the house. The outer wall is basically sitting on sawdust.

View attachment 57104

We suspect there was a hand pump on the porch to draw up water from the cistern below.

View attachment 57105

We intend to continue tomorrow.

Behave

Ben
Still water in it??? That could be a cool feature depending upon what room it's planned to be.

Meer - glad you got your tooth taken away- did you ask to keep it so you could put it under your pillow?

Spike - Wow! Your family has had a tough run. Prayers to you all.

Prayers for Spike and family, Jim and momma, and Meer.
Urban glad your wife got to get out fro a while. That had to be nice for her, even if for a short time.

I had a holiday today, so wife and I went running around, did some errands. I picked up a chisel and drawknife to try my hand at some wood carving with some wood I have just cut down. Got a couple projects in mind. We'll see how that works out. Also picked up a new Sawyer Squeeze water filter and a couple freeze dried meals for my Get Home Bag

Still water in it??? That could be a cool feature depending upon what room it's planned to be.

We channelled all of the water that seeps out of the rock into the cistern, so technically, yes it has water in it

We did punch a hole in the bottom where we have a sump pump that pumps the water through a 50' pipe at the back of the yard.

But the prepper in me has thought we could stock the crawl space for SHTF and use buckets to collect the water coming into the cistern... It is effectively spring water. If it weren't for human waste, we could lock the door from the inside and not come out for a good spell
Ben

Spent half the day canning hot sauce and processing tomatoes. Then spent the rest of the day searching online for the cows we want to buy this spring.
Canning hot sauce?!?!?! I hadn't thought of that yet. Hubby LOVES hot sauce. Going to look into this!
What kind of cattle are you going to get this year?

Canning hot sauce?!?!?! I hadn't thought of that yet. Hubby LOVES hot sauce. Going to look into this!
What kind of cattle are you going to get this year?
Someone is going to have to tame this gal and her wild canner 😂
We channelled all of the water that seeps out of the rock into the cistern, so technically, yes it has water in it

We did punch a hole in the bottom where we have a sump pump that pumps the water through a 50' pipe at the back of the yard.

But the prepper in me has thought we could stock the crawl space for SHTF and use buckets to collect the water coming into the cistern... It is effectively spring water. If it weren't for human waste, we could lock the door from the inside and not come out for a good spell
Ben
Great minds think alike. I was thinking your water source would be out of site and protected 😄

Great minds think alike. I was thinking your water source would be out of site and protected 😄

I'm telling you!!!! It's unleashed an ANIMAL!!!! My husband doesn't know what to do 🤣 I told him last night everything must go and if we replace it it will be home made and canned!🤣 Poor guy:LOL:

Agreed!

For anyone interested I have a play list on YouTube that shares the 2 springs I developed that are a short walk from my place. The play list can be found here.

Ben

Latest posts

Back