What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben, that's great - thanks!
We have a spring I want to develop (but have no idea how) - appreciate the reference to a spring box - gives me ideas to research. And the different water features/drains gets me thinking... (oh so dangerous, lol).

Still water in it??? That could be a cool feature depending upon what room it's planned to be.

Meer - glad you got your tooth taken away- did you ask to keep it so you could put it under your pillow?

Spike - Wow! Your family has had a tough run. Prayers to you all.

LOL, no didn't want to keep sake really didn't feel any pain but lots of pressure ,said still have plenty of bone and strong gums, thats not always a plus during extractions,
I have one more old cap I want out then a partial,Next pulling first week in Febuary.Then a couple fillings,may be good for life at my age.

Last edited:
Prayers for Spike and family, Jim and momma, and Meer.
Urban glad your wife got to get out fro a while. That had to be nice for her, even if for a short time.

I had a holiday today, so wife and I went running around, did some errands. I picked up a chisel and drawknife to try my hand at some wood carving with some wood I have just cut down. Got a couple projects in mind. We'll see how that works out. Also picked up a new Sawyer Squeeze water filter and a couple freeze dried meals for my Get Home Bag

Thank you Bacp.

Thanks, Double R. AS aggravating as cats can be sometimes, they got me through some tough times. I've had severe depression in the past and knowing my kitties needed me was one of the things that kept me from killing myself. Burying my face against a cat and listening to the purr is very soothing. I had some back pain and abdomonal pain-- positioned cats on both spots and got them to stay-- worked like heating pads.

@UrbanHunter I hope your wife enjoys her trip to the fabric store. I hope she will recover quickly. A lot of places aren't wheelchair friendly still. It can be frustrating.

@Meerkat, Wow! That was fast. Mine took about an hour to pull and they had to break it up into pieces. It had extra roots & didn't want to come out. If it doesn't stop bleeding within 24hrs put a teabag in the socket and hold it in until the bleeding stops. You'll need a lot of gauze- has to be changed frequently. It bleeds quite a bit the first few hours. No straws. No acid (citrus). No swishing stuff around in your mouth. No poking at it (that was the hardest part for me- I wanted to poke my tongue in to feel the changes- after 24hrs it developed something that felt like jelly to my tongue and gradually the hole got smaller). Rice can get stuck in the socket. You still need to make sure to drink plenty of water and have the water sit over the socket so it won't dry out. When I had mine pulled they wrote me a scrip for narcotics & were worried I'd be in pain. Maybe it's because I get migraines or maybe the pain from the toothache was so bad that it desensitized me to the soreness, but I didn't need painkillers afterward. I had to use the teabag after 24hrs- probably bc I broke the "no heavy lifting" rule & had to lift several cases of water bc it was the day before we got hit with a hurricane. I think it bled for about 30hrs. I used a breakfast tea bag that tasted good to stop the bleeding.

@Spikedriver Yikes. I hope the pacemaker works for your father. That can be frightening for children to witness.

Mo, that reminds me I need to do more laundry.

@ben glad the kids are enjoying exploring the corners. I remember as a kid I wanted to explore the attic but it wasn't safe. So I ended up exploring under the house. Found some old dishes. Some random weird stuff. Found a live wire that zapped me a little-- Dad took care of that quickly. It was so much fun when I was young, small, and spry. Now I huff and puff like the big bad wolf and flop around like a beached whale if I try to crawl under there. LOL.

Went to the post office bc I forgot it was MLK day. Will have to go back tomorrow to submit the box renewal slip. Went to Samsclub with my brother. Got several cases of water & some other frozen foods. Popped in to check on our favorite Chinese place. Owner wasn't there. Only saw 2 employees. One was greeting people and taking payments, the other was serving drinks, cleaning tables, sweeping the floor, etc all by himself. He was busting his hump. Found out he speaks a tiny bit of Japanese he learned from cartoons. Nice guy. Dropped off a baby yoda blanket at friend's house & headed home. Currently sitting under cats.

Almost forgot I got stopped at a random checkpoint (nowhere near the border so I don't know what the purpose was). I got out license, registration, & insurance card. Put my mask on, rolled the window all the way down, showed the cop (he asked for license and insurance). I held all 3 things up. He glanced at them very briefly, said "Looks good to me!" and waved me on. An ambulance got stuck behind that mess. Wonder what they were looking for. I suspect they were trying to sniff for weed and hoping to find people without insurance. They didn't have masks on.

I'm about to get up and feed the kitties again and pop some laundry in the washing machine.

Thanks, Double R. AS aggravating as cats can be sometimes, they got me through some tough times. I've had severe depression in the past and knowing my kitties needed me was one of the things that kept me from killing myself. Burying my face against a cat and listening to the purr is very soothing. I had some back pain and abdomonal pain-- positioned cats on both spots and got them to stay-- worked like heating pads.

@UrbanHunter I hope your wife enjoys her trip to the fabric store. I hope she will recover quickly. A lot of places aren't wheelchair friendly still. It can be frustrating.

@Meerkat, Wow! That was fast. Mine took about an hour to pull and they had to break it up into pieces. It had extra roots & didn't want to come out. If it doesn't stop bleeding within 24hrs put a teabag in the socket and hold it in until the bleeding stops. You'll need a lot of gauze- has to be changed frequently. It bleeds quite a bit the first few hours. No straws. No acid (citrus). No swishing stuff around in your mouth. No poking at it (that was the hardest part for me- I wanted to poke my tongue in to feel the changes- after 24hrs it developed something that felt like jelly to my tongue and gradually the hole got smaller). Rice can get stuck in the socket. You still need to make sure to drink plenty of water and have the water sit over the socket so it won't dry out. When I had mine pulled they wrote me a scrip for narcotics & were worried I'd be in pain. Maybe it's because I get migraines or maybe the pain from the toothache was so bad that it desensitized me to the soreness, but I didn't need painkillers afterward. I had to use the teabag after 24hrs- probably bc I broke the "no heavy lifting" rule & had to lift several cases of water bc it was the day before we got hit with a hurricane. I think it bled for about 30hrs. I used a breakfast tea bag that tasted good to stop the bleeding.

@Spikedriver Yikes. I hope the pacemaker works for your father. That can be frightening for children to witness.

Mo, that reminds me I need to do more laundry.

@ben glad the kids are enjoying exploring the corners. I remember as a kid I wanted to explore the attic but it wasn't safe. So I ended up exploring under the house. Found some old dishes. Some random weird stuff. Found a live wire that zapped me a little-- Dad took care of that quickly. It was so much fun when I was young, small, and spry. Now I huff and puff like the big bad wolf and flop around like a beached whale if I try to crawl under there. LOL.

Went to the post office bc I forgot it was MLK day. Will have to go back tomorrow to submit the box renewal slip. Went to Samsclub with my brother. Got several cases of water & some other frozen foods. Popped in to check on our favorite Chinese place. Owner wasn't there. Only saw 2 employees. One was greeting people and taking payments, the other was serving drinks, cleaning tables, sweeping the floor, etc all by himself. He was busting his hump. Found out he speaks a tiny bit of Japanese he learned from cartoons. Nice guy. Dropped off a baby yoda blanket at friend's house & headed home. Currently sitting under cats.

Almost forgot I got stopped at a random checkpoint (nowhere near the border so I don't know what the purpose was). I got out license, registration, & insurance card. Put my mask on, rolled the window all the way down, showed the cop (he asked for license and insurance). I held all 3 things up. He glanced at them very briefly, said "Looks good to me!" and waved me on. An ambulance got stuck behind that mess. Wonder what they were looking for. I suspect they were trying to sniff for weed and hoping to find people without insurance. They didn't have masks on.

I'm about to get up and feed the kitties again and pop some laundry in the washing machine.

Zenne I had a couple bad exeriances with dentist pulling a tooth,so it has been oral surgions every since. They are well worth the extra money. This next tooth will cost $220. First one was new ,consultation ,etc,.Not bad for oral surgion really.

I've always had cats till last 15 yr.s got allergic to them and I really miss not having one. Our last one got closer to hubby he lived to be almost 15 but he loved being outside and owls killed him. He was a large cat 28lb.s but had a lung problem. So they probably saw him bent down coughing and attacked him,we know what happend because pur old dog let us know with her actions when they sqeeched.She loved cats.

Canning hot sauce?!?!?! I hadn't thought of that yet. Hubby LOVES hot sauce. Going to look into this!
What kind of cattle are you going to get this year?
The wife loves canning salsa, when our tomatoes come off it is the first tomato thing on her list of To Cans, followed by tomato sauce, tomato Ketchup, and tomato paste. She makes 2 kinds of tomato sauce; one with Jalapenos and one without.

The wife loves canning salsa, when our tomatoes come off it is the first tomato thing on her list of To Cans, followed by tomato sauce, tomato Ketchup, and tomato paste. She makes 2 kinds of tomato sauce; one with Jalapenos and one without.

That will be me I’m sure. All of those are on the list for this year pending our tomatoes do ok. Still working on what recipes and hope to buy stuff to try it all in advance so we know what/how for when the garden actually is ready.

Good morning!

Already took eBay photos
Have done 2 loads of laundry
Have 14 quarts of dog food in the PCs--more to come after.
When the first PCs start their hour cool down, I'll walk.
Then re-load PCs for second round.
Cut up cheese for dog treats- when it thaws.
That has got to be about all!

Doctor called yesterday with x-ray results, and wife definitely has another fractured vertebrae . Looks like T7 .
( T 8 down thru L5 have been fixed)

Waiting for imaging to call with appointment for MRI, that gives more detail to make sure it's only 1. Her last surgery was Nov 11th.

Then will schedule surgery.

2021 is picking up where 2020 left off. Just when she was getting back to doing what she wanted to.

Everyday , one at a time,

We're not doing much of anything these days.

Y'all have a good day , stay safe.

Jim

Weird weather! The last week we have had 80+ degree temperatures so I have been airing out the house after being closed up for the colder days and temps. Last night I went to bed and I had to shut the windows because the whole upstairs was FREEZING! And here I thought K was nuts for putting the winter sheets on the bed this weekend.

Yesterday I pressed some paper bricks. One fell apart so I think I didn't press the water out enough. I had to move them in the house to dry because we have a high chance of rain!!!

I also read some articles that said retailers (Kohl's and Bed Bath Beyond etc) are no longer going to be carrying MyPillows because Mike Lindell is a Trump supporter! So I am ordering a new pillow for each family member to put up for later use. We all have MyPillows now but I figure we should show our support for our fellow conservatives and Christians with our money if we can and not support the liberal economy.

Strawberry will be walked in a while.
Been putting simple hem around fabric so it can be washed and dried to remove sizing.
Then will proceed to make window toppers or as us old folks know valances.
Will be making drapes too for the living room, my bed room, dining area.
Cleaning things out, either use it or lose it.
Only got 20 yards of different fabrics to hem, wash,dry and iron.
Crocheting hats, scarfs sets for Christmas 2021.

Had a good time this am on phone with daughter and funny youtube videos. May be eating too much ice cream lately, since last Febuary gained 6 lb.s but it is so good. Today had ice cream and apple pie.
Lots to do but don't want to do it. Knee still painful but lots better with gentle exercise.

Doctor called yesterday with x-ray results, and wife definitely has another fractured vertebrae . Looks like T7 .
I'm torn between being sorry to hear the news, and at the same time thankful that the problem has been identified and treatment can now move forward. I'm hoping the knowledge brings some relief to you both, and that her recovery is quick.

...retailers (Kohl's and Bed Bath Beyond etc) are no longer going to be carrying MyPillows because Mike Lindell is a Trump supporter! So I am ordering a new pillow for each family member to put up for later use.
Grrrr! I already hate Bed Bath & Beyond (I won't get started, for the sake of my blood pressure) - really disappointed to hear about Kohl's though. I may not have shopped much, but that was the only department store I went to. Guess that's over. :rolleyes: My husband and I were wondering what was going to happen to him in all this craziness. Mike Lindell has done a great deal of charitable works with the success of his company, and his company employs a lot of people - charities and people who are already suffering with lockdowns from covid - now this. Grrrr!

I stopped shopping kohl’s when they started selling B L m stuff. Rarely shopped BBB but will definitely avoid now.
Working on decluttering. Have to make room for canning 🤣 Ok that’s only partly true 😬Am really inspired by members here decluttering so I’m keeping at it. Sure feels good when done but not so much when I see all I still got to go through. Hard to get rid of stuff right now since replacing things is more of a challenge these days but I’m keeping at it anyways.
When I sit down to rest I’m working on inputting taxes for the 2020 season. We got royally you know what by our “tax lady” so we aren’t getting the stimulus now either. No refund (which we are owed), no stimulus. Have to claim the stimulus on 2020 taxes. Still waiting for 2019 to be squared away. She didn’t completely fill out the forms so over 6 months later were still waiting for our refund. Would have been caught right away but apparently they don’t believe in filing digitally because the system rejects to much 🤦🏻‍♀️ Ya like the fact she didn’t fill everything out. We went with her because of the strict lockdowns and the ability to send her everything and get them done still. Finding a new person this year no matter what. So pushing on and getting them done early. Changing our calving season has been a change this year. Usually we’re calving during tax season so we don’t file till later in the year.
Hubby scored a flat of pint jars :woo hoo::woo hoo:at the store this morning and I see he got supplies to make some test sauces and some tester green beans. Can’t wait! I really have the canning bug bad! Y’all have created a monster over here. Thanks again to everyone who’s been so supportive in my fear and learning of canning.:heart: I’ve wanted this for so long! Every time I bought stuff at the store I feel like I’m doing wrong by not making our own and preserving it. Looking to get the Ball Blue Book but not paying $26 for a $10 book so the hunt continues.

A fire call distracted my brother but we did get more of the old flooring removed and loaded it in the pickup.

20210119_145655.jpg

To be continued tomorrow.

Ben

Double R and Grimm too if I remember correctly - and AH as well - probably others I'm missing~
Took 2 boxes to donation this morning. I'm getting down to the "fine-tuning" of things. It really does get easier as you go. I'm beginning to part with things that I never thought I would, but when all the meaningless stuff is gone, you can really see and evaluate what you have. Kinda the decluttering limbo - how low can you go? And now I'm really trying to focus on what I want to see (own) and nixing the rest. I'm sure it will be on-going, but anything out is just that much less I have to take care of. Also, just received the call that the delivery guy is there filling the take with E-free fuel :) Don't want to know what that bill will be :eek:

Canning hot sauce?!?!?! I hadn't thought of that yet. Hubby LOVES hot sauce. Going to look into this!
What kind of cattle are you going to get this year?

We found a recipe for a fermented sriracha-style sauce that hubby likes. You ferment it and then can it.

We are looking for Dexters. Have found several listed that aren't way overpriced but people don't answer . WHY place an add if you don't answer questions about it. If they are sold, mark it as sold or delete it!

I'm doing 11 qts and a pt of tomato sauce right now.

We are looking for Dexters. Have found several listed that aren't way overpriced but people don't answer .
Hope you find some soon!
I'm interested in Dexters (once we move), but have never raised cattle before. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience and thoughts. :)

Hope you find some soon!
I'm interested in Dexters (once we move), but have never raised cattle before. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience and thoughts. :)

We've had cows, we have a pair of dexter steers and a Holstein steer now. At 8 months old the Holstein is the same height as the Dexters.

I'm studying Highlanders. Since the weather will be cooler than the winters warm I want animals that will thrive in it.
They aren't big for cattle but they are smart. They feed themselves and don't need help giving birth. They are a hardy breed and their long hair makes them cute. I'll need a good breeding population because I don't want to have to buy new animals.

How much milk do you need?

I love Holsteins. A farm near ours has two calves running around, and they are the cutest things I ever saw. For milkers, though, my cousin recommends Jerseys, they give the same amount of milk, but eat alot less.

I don't know, but have heard that Jersey milk is too rich or creamy for commercial processing.

Something to do with pasteurizing.

:dunno:

Jim

Latest posts

Back