What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a bright sunny day, strawberry and I have been outside this morning.
She's been scramping around in the snow like a puppy she's not.
So she's now snuggled on my left hip,with afghan around her.
I'm working on new washcloth/dishcloth pattern to see if I like it.
I make washcloth/dishcloth size until if it's a design I like.
When I have 300-500 washcloth/dishcloth made up will transform them into sampler blanket.
It is a wonderful day today.
Last night i received another new to me gift........
A K Swiss size 12.5 shoe box of manuals,accessories,needles to the new to knitting machine.
Also received about 35-40 single patterns, 4 books of patterns.
Super excited about the shoe box.
Have a great day!
Stay safe,warm and dry.

I took some pictures to answer your question.

There is a cinder block wall in the basement that supports pillars.

View attachment 59514

View attachment 59515

Those pillars and columns support a beam that spans from one side of the house to the other. Looking up from the basement you can see the base of the beam supporting the roof beam.

View attachment 59516

Looking at the base of the beam from the main floor you can see the 2x12s that supports the upright beam and floor joists.

View attachment 59517

Take care

Ben
Ben,
Check around for a place that fills propane tanks, I think blue rhino only fills to 15-17 lbs instead of 20. Please check your cylinder dates too, last one I had expired in 94 was was never recertified.

Another one of those days...had the hair drying going, trying to thaw out under the sink, got some dripping going on, water in bathroom now, but hot water is ice cold, trying to figure out the hot water heater...reset button is okay...breaker is okay...pulling my hair out...renter called, water shooting up in the air, pipe had broken by the well, had to turn the well off...CALGON, TAKE ME AWAY !!! LOL...but the gas is still on, counting our blessings

Shoveled more of Al Bore's global warming off the concrete driveway and sidewalk.
Learning a new scoring program for the 2021 shooting competition year. I almost understand on most of it.

@The Lazy L , can you not get the wife to do all the shoveling?
Just to free you up more for leaning the new shooting rules.

Jim:waiting::LOL:

I've spent several weekends in Santa Fe over the years. It can be really busy there with all of the festivals that go on there. Forget finding rooms during holidays. Valentines weekend is always impossible. Out on Ceritos (?) is or was a place, a motel, that was great and allowed dogs. I cannot find it online, but I think the last time I was there, a few years ago, it had new owners, so they may have changed the name. It was called something like the Wagon Wheel. It may have been the Silver Saddle which I found, but cannot confirm it as the place. It had an art place, maybe a market, connected to it, across the parking lot. It is an older place, but they seemed to be updating it.

Thanks weedy. I'll look around for those. If not I'll drive part way back and stay in Los Lunas.

Thanks weedy. I'll look around for those. If not I'll drive part way back and stay in Los Lunas.
It is way out, fairly close to the end of Ceritos (not exactly sure of the name, or how to spell it), but still in town. It is not at all close to the plaza. We did hear roosters crowing in the morning.

@The Lazy L , can you not get the wife to do all the shoveling?
Just to free you up more for leaning the new shooting rules.

Jim:waiting::LOL:

Once. I repeat once she shoveled for a few partial shovel fulls and then quit. She said it hurt her back. I told her my back hurt too when I shoveled too but evidently if I didn't persevere, it would not get done and the car would have to stay in the garage (which means she'd have to stay home).

@ The Lazy L, your a fine husband .:fun fun:

Accomplished my 3rd project of the day.
IMG_20210218_154916313.jpg

Banana snow cream .
Best I ever made.

So good it gave me brain freeze.

Jim

Today after work I went out, we had about 3" of sleet piled up on top of a thick layer of ice. I started shoveling it till I broke the handle, found a grain shovel and got back to it.... The son came out to tell me that the driveway is really slippery? I had used all this year's salt the other day, then I got to thinking, when I pulled the engine out of the truck there was a bag in the bed, I put I put it in the car tent...... sure enough 1 bag, just enough to finish the drive way. Came into the house and discovered that I had a 3" gash where I was pushing on the snow shovel when the handle broke....

While I was resting the son informed me that they are predicting 8 more inches of snow tonight.... I told him that this is one time I will not mind if the weather man is wrong......

Wear gloves, Urban.
Our snow is melting just a bit. We finally hit a low 30's a little while ago.
We out for brunch, went to the post office, pharmacy, and Dollar Tree. Picked up milk at my cousin's place and visited. In between all that, unthawed chicken water repeatedly, and collected eggs before they froze. Walked both dogs repeatedly that are stuck in the basement keeping warm. Looks like tomorrow they'll be able to be outside in the afternoon! It's the little things like that I appreciate.

Wear gloves, Urban.
Our snow is melting just a bit. We finally hit a low 30's a little while ago.
We out for brunch, went to the post office, pharmacy, and Dollar Tree. Picked up milk at my cousin's place and visited. In between all that, unthawed chicken water repeatedly, and collected eggs before they froze. Walked both dogs repeatedly that are stuck in the basement keeping warm. Looks like tomorrow they'll be able to be outside in the afternoon! It's the little things like that I appreciate.
Had on gloves, the handle broke off in my hand and the pole part of it dug into my stomach area, just below the belt line..... I was pushing HARD...

I've spent several weekends in Santa Fe over the years. It can be really busy there with all of the festivals that go on there. Forget finding rooms during holidays. Valentines weekend is always impossible. Out on Ceritos (?) is or was a place, a motel, that was great and allowed dogs. I cannot find it online, but I think the last time I was there, a few years ago, it had new owners, so they may have changed the name. It was called something like the Wagon Wheel. It may have been the Silver Saddle which I found, but cannot confirm it as the place. It had an art place, maybe a market, connected to it, across the parking lot. It is an older place, but they seemed to be updating it.

Thank you Weedy! That place looks great, very friendly and only 3 miles from the dog training place.

Its on Cerrillos Rd but you were close enough for me to find it.

Last edited:
Cleared 4 driveways, again. this global warming is all out of hand. listened to nasa when the rover landed. why won't the aliens abduct me :p
Be careful what you ask for, I've heard that the aliens put probes in your body that can be rather uncomfortable.

Besides the aliens prefer young people. They're afraid of us old codgers.

Another good of effort. Subfloor is in save a little along the back wall.

20210218_172236.jpg

20210218_172232.jpg

The heater were moved from the basement since the flooring kept the basement cozy but not where we will be working.

@Firepolice271 has other duties and tasks so the rebuild project will on hold until at least Monday. I will be picking an order of ducts from Lowe's tomorrow to push the duct project ahead.

Spotted a months worth of turkey dinner on the way home.
20210218_172901.jpg

20210218_172909.jpg

Behave

Ben

I should remind you that the aliens travel a million light years to get here and we have nothing they need that they can't get closer to home.
My bet is that they are here to see if we are ever going to learn how to behave... and to keep us here to keep us from spreading violence through the local galactic area.
They have the technology to scan us from far away, to obliterate life on a planetary scale, and end our misery with less than the push of a button. If that was their plan we would have been gone ages ago. I think I would like aliens - no matter what they look like - because I can laugh at my ignorance and maybe learn a bit from just being around them.
If they are monitoring the internet I invite them for conversation anytime. C'mon down to my little corner of Washington state!

Today after work I went out, we had about 3" of sleet piled up on top of a thick layer of ice. I started shoveling it till I broke the handle, found a grain shovel and got back to it.... The son came out to tell me that the driveway is really slippery? I had used all this year's salt the other day, then I got to thinking, when I pulled the engine out of the truck there was a bag in the bed, I put I put it in the car tent...... sure enough 1 bag, just enough to finish the drive way. Came into the house and discovered that I had a 3" gash where I was pushing on the snow shovel when the handle broke....

While I was resting the son informed me that they are predicting 8 more inches of snow tonight.... I told him that this is one time I will not mind if the weather man is wrong......
You may never need it again in your lifetime, especially where you live, but I keep a 5 gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal lid of Ice Melt. This will last me a few years.

Be careful what you ask for, I've heard that the aliens put probes in your body that can be rather uncomfortable.
i been probed by the medics, bring on the aliens:p. unless the aliens send a bill too.

Another day from hell...a pipe had burst in the new apartment, water was everywhere, in every room, running out all the doors...about 3-4 inches in depth...calling to try to get someone to come cut it off, Thank you to the city workers, second call they have had from us today...friends in helping to sweep out water, another friend coming to replace the broken pipe tomorrow...another rental froze, manifold blew under it..water, water all over but outside..got the water turned off, now to find repair parts to redo it...friends to help me ...the Lord blesses me with special angels, believe me...also have another rental where the well pipe burst, so that needs done...and now the rest of the story...hubby went outside and noticed large, large amounts of water all over the yard...we checked the water meter, no leaks detected, checked all the faucets/hoses/water tanks....could not find where all the water is coming from...called the city and they came to help...they could not figure it out either...think it was melting snow that has all come down in the lower area of our street...will use shop vacs tomorrow to get more water out of the apt..all rugs can be hung on the fences, no heaters in town, but Higgy's getting some Saturday to get more heat on in there to dry it up...but...THE SUN IS SUPPOSED TO SHINE TOMORROW...TONIGHT IS THE LAST NIGHT OF FREEZING TEMPS...and how did your day go ? LOL.....I need a stiff drink....and now two of the water heaters have to have new elements installed...the never ending story

Another day from hell...a pipe had burst in the new apartment, water was everywhere, in every room, running out all the doors...about 3-4 inches in depth...calling to try to get someone to come cut it off, Thank you to the city workers, second call they have had from us today...friends in helping to sweep out water, another friend coming to replace the broken pipe tomorrow...another rental froze, manifold blew under it..water, water all over but outside..got the water turned off, now to find repair parts to redo it...friends to help me ...the Lord blesses me with special angels, believe me...also have another rental where the well pipe burst, so that needs done...and now the rest of the story...hubby went outside and noticed large, large amounts of water all over the yard...we checked the water meter, no leaks detected, checked all the faucets/hoses/water tanks....could not find where all the water is coming from...called the city and they came to help...they could not figure it out either...think it was melting snow that has all come down in the lower area of our street...will use shop vacs tomorrow to get more water out of the apt..all rugs can be hung on the fences, no heaters in town, but Higgy's getting some Saturday to get more heat on in there to dry it up...but...THE SUN IS SUPPOSED TO SHINE TOMORROW...TONIGHT IS THE LAST NIGHT OF FREEZING TEMPS...and how did your day go ? LOL.....I need a stiff drink....and now two of the water heaters have to have new elements installed...the never ending story
Wow!

I carry a curb key and a shovel in my jeep because you never know when you will need it.

Ben

Power out yesterday. Came back on around 4:30 today. It was 45 in house all day. All Monday's snow that is packed is like ice followed by rain the next two days that froze on contact. Sun came out this afternoon and temp was 28 outside but snow getting soft. Down to 12 tonight with a high tomorrow of 31. When power came on, so did well and all water lines. Nothing froze up! Husband at camp house. Can't take cold. I need to go to town to get cubes again. Haven't been off property since last Friday. Heard feed store was out of cubes. Will call in morning. Have to take cuber off truck as county road will be too icy and hilly and curvy to pull trailer on. Hopeful I can find something to feed them for next three days. Will probably have to buy hay for when roads are clear. Ready for sunshine and summer time. Have blanket and towels duct taped over every window not covered. As prepared as I am, I can't do winter power outages due to ice. Texas is a can do state and we can do a lot. Most towns water was compromised and if they have it its a boil order. We had plenty of warning for this storm. People begging for bread, firewood, gas and milk. No snow plows here. County maintainers scraped snow and tdot sanded on main highways. Sorry for long post. I am ready for a hot shower and bed. All faucets dripping. Heat light are on in chicken coop, well and dog houses. Hopefully cows bedded up in the yaupon for the night. Good night all

I've had a curb key for decades. I used to move for work very often. At a new house I'd call and set up my account with the water dept. then turn on the water myself.

Warm today, temp made it to 46 in the sun. I made a delayed trip to town for groceries. I picked up 250lbs of critter feed while I was there. I figured better safe than sorry, may not be the last bad weather this year.

Wow!

I carry a curb key and a shovel in my jeep because you never know when you will need it.

Ben
Would a curb key be used to shut off water at the meter? I can shut my water off in my basement, but not sure that I can shut it off before the house. I would think where the meter is, but for me, I would think the city would be the one to do that. I searched for an image of a curb key, and it looks as though they are used for sprinkler systems as well.

Shoveled last night's global warming of the concrete driveway and side walk. I don't use salt, concrete is on the south side of the house and with a touch of sun concrete soon is bare IF I can keep it shoveled off before vehicles pack the snow.

Continue researching the "how to" on updating technology for a local shooting discipline.

Latest posts

Back