What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More wall building for us today.

View attachment 60310

The right hand wall of the great room is done.

View attachment 60311

The master bedroom is framed up.

View attachment 60312

The master bath.

View attachment 60313

Standing in the closest of the master bedroom looking toward the master bath.

Tomorrow we have to move the piles of supplies to the master bedroom so we install the other walls for the 2nd bedroom and laundry/pantry.

Behave

Ben
Saving the best for last (pantry) :) Who is living here when it's all done? is this in your house? or another on the property? Yes, I'm easily confused, but it's looking great and inquiring minds want to know 😂

Strawberry and I have been enjoying the weather outside all day today.
Have walked several times today.
Strawberry has been walked by the dog walker.
Fiddle farting around today.
Got to still set up medicine for next week.
Got a small 2.5 pound rump roast going in the crock pot.
What don't get eaten as roast will be converted into stew,beef vegetable soup and finally beef and veggies pot pies.
Planted my onion sets today in large flower pot.
They're planted in a circle pattern, with carrot seeds planted beside them.
Onion set, carrot seed onion set etc.

More wall building for us today.

View attachment 60310

The right hand wall of the great room is done.

View attachment 60311

The master bedroom is framed up.

View attachment 60312

The master bath.

View attachment 60313

Standing in the closest of the master bedroom looking toward the master bath.

Tomorrow we have to move the piles of supplies to the master bedroom so we install the other walls for the 2nd bedroom and laundry/pantry.

Behave

Ben
Are you living here while you reconstruct?
Will have to reread this part of the forum thread.

Saving the best for last (pantry) :) Who is living here when it's all done? is this in your house? or another on the property? Yes, I'm easily confused, but it's looking great and inquiring minds want to know 😂
@LadyLocust and @MoBookworm1957 .

The place where we are working now is of 2 LLCs we set-up to provide supplemental income for all of the members of the LLCs via rental.

We purchased this place about 2 years ago for the value of the land it sits on. The house was in terrible shape and we had to agree to a "hold harmless" agreement just to walk inside. It was an old railroad home that had been built more than 100 years ago to house the railroad workers that worked the watering station. It had been built literally sitting on the ground, had a fireplace for heat and featured gas lighting in the three rooms.

There at least 2-3 additions made to expand the footprint and add running water and indoor bathroom. But over the 100 years even the railroad ties it was built on rotted out and termites attacked all of the support beams floor joist and flooring.

I will continue in another posts because this is getting long

Ben

Continuing...

We started by removing all of the interior walls of plaster and lathe to reduce the weight durring a family demolition party that gave the granddaughters a chance to bust out walls with hammers. The carpeting was then removed which allowed my brother and sister to find three places where they fell through the floors...

More after a metting this evening.

Ben

@LadyLocust and @MoBookworm1957 .

The place where we are working now is of 2 LLCs we set-up to provide supplemental income for all of the members of the LLCs via rental.

We purchased this place about 2 years ago for the value of the land it sits on. The house was in terrible shape and we had to agree to a "hold harmless" agreement just to walk inside. It was an old railroad home that had been built more than 100 years ago to house the railroad workers that worked the watering station. It had been built literally sitting on the ground, had a fireplace for heat and featured gas lighting in the three rooms.

There at least 2-3 additions made to expand the footprint and add running water and indoor bathroom. But over the 100 years even the railroad ties it was built on rotted out and termites attacked all of the support beams floor joist and flooring.

I will continue in another posts because this is getting long

Ben
Interesting, and thank you for clarifying my confusion.

i got to sit on the porch swing in the sun for a few minutes. been a long time. got up to 51 with little wind. it was quite nice for maybe 10 min. the next storm is starting to roll in but i got a few minutes with the sun and birds. next week is looking promising, lol

Continuing...

We started by removing all of the interior walls of plaster and lathe to reduce the weight durring a family demolition party that gave the granddaughters a chance to bust out walls with hammers. The carpeting was then removed which allowed my brother and sister to find three places where they fell through the floors...

More after a metting this evening.

Ben
Resuming...

All of the surrounding house had dug out the basements and dumped the dirt in the yards. That left our place as the low point were all the water drained too.

I started digging out the basement 2 years ago after work. That was interupted when we purchased another place that only needed 6 months to get ready to rent out.

After I retired I resumed excavating the basement then completed the digging. We then turned to installing drainage and concrete for the basement. It is now dry as a bone.

The housr was lifted and placed on concrete columns ....

But I think I joined this site about then so I will end my answer saying...

We may flip the place but rental property is a nice way to deversify so we will be renting it out.

Thanks for reading!

Ben

Resuming...

All of the surrounding house had dug out the basements and dumped the dirt in the yards. That left our place as the low point were all the water drained too.

I started digging out the basement 2 years ago after work. That was interupted when we purchased another place that only needed 6 months to get ready to rent out.

After I retired I resumed excavating the basement then completed the digging. We then turned to installing drainage and concrete for the basement. It is now dry as a bone.

We may flip the place but rental property is a nice way to deversify so we will be renting it out.

Thanks for reading!

Ben
Thank you for sharing.

Owls do that.
I wondered about an owl because it went into coop. Dead bird found outside in exercise yard like whatever killed it could not get it over yard fence of exercise yard which is 6 foot tall. Trail of feathers went into coop and around exercise yard. Never found head. Took insides through vent.

I wondered about an owl because it went into coop. Dead bird found outside in exercise yard like whatever killed it could not get it over yard fence of exercise yard which is 6 foot tall. Trail of feathers went into coop and around exercise yard. Never found head. Took insides through vent.

I caught raccoons doing that to mine.

They keep coming back.

Jim

Raccoons decapitated a bunch of our young chickens last year. Left the bodies.
Husband snoozing in the chair...he is volunteered to get our son and his girl from the train station at 1 in the morning. I'll stay home and make sure the kids get up for school at 6.
The twins reminded me that March 12th is the anniversary of when school was cancelled for covid. That state still has not let the kids go back to school. A whole year. Husband had pulmonary therapy at the hospital today and found out that there are now no covid patients there. I bet the antibody infusions have helped.

Resuming...

Thanks for reading!

Ben
Thanks Neb! Whether you rent it or sell it, it will sure look nice.

Another day of construction building walls.

This is the main bathroom. Yes the service is going to be moved.

View attachment 60271

The master bathroom has three walls.
View attachment 60272

Behind the ladders one wall of the great room.
View attachment 60273

A peek out back shows deer just outside the fence of the paddock of the horse farm out back.

View attachment 60274

Tomorrow should be more wall building for us.

Behave

Ben
20210303_160341.jpg
20210303_160337.jpg

Attachments

• 20210303_160320.jpg
    20210303_160320.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 43
It is a wonderful day in my neighborhood today.
The sun is up.
Strawberry has taken care of her morning business.
I am sipping coffee thinking of Mrs. Jim fondly.
Giggling delightfully .
I received in the mail yesterday the 2021 Jack Dempsey Needle Art catalog.
Oh, my!
Lots of new designs.
They brought back a few of the old favorites that had been missing for a while.
Colorful pictures.

My back yard is about to be dug up again.
Bummer!
Seems all the neighbors around me are having "Dish" problems, Internet problems.
So my backyard will become a mud pit for a while.
Should be challenging for Strawberry to take care of business.
Making rump roast taco's today for something different for lunch.
Maybe piece of rump roast made into nacho's too.

Thanks Neb! Whether you rent it or sell it, it will sure look nice.
Since you got me thinking I found this picture.

20200304_132235.jpg

1 year ago today I was digging the drainage trenches that are under the concrete floor of the basement. I was mentally singing the song that Judas sings in Jesus Christ Superstar "I will be dragged through the slime and the mud"

Ben

Talking to one of the 'kids' on phone,she is not into visiting and staying in tent so I told her we cam make it really confortable with our bed in a bag,she is not impressed.It has a frame and all can be blown up to yourchoice of firmness,what else could she ask for?We slept on this have two twins. beats air bed on the ground with no frame.

1614878354736.png

I have declared the worts of winter to me over.
Unplug shore power to the RV and disconnect the chassis battery maintainer.
Started the RV's chassis engine and coach generator.
Air the RV's 6 tires and the air shocks.
Plug in an electric heater and turn on the A/C heat pump to put a load on the generator. Nothing!
Check for a AC breaker tripped in the coach power panel. None. Turn all the breakers on/off anyway and press resent on the GFI breaker. Still no AC.
Take the cover off the generator. Found the AC breaker, wasn't tripped. Breaker turns on/off anyway too easy, no click.
Still no AC to the coach. Too cold out to start crawling around with a multi-meter.
Unlock the gate and drive the RV away from my shop overhead door. Now I can get the mule back in the shop.
Shut off the generator and chassis engine (gages read normal).
Put the battery maintainer and its extension cord away.
Plug the RV back into shore power.
Remove the metal medicine cabinet from the bath. I keep bumping into it with an elbow when showering.
Think about how to cover and water proof the four screws holes left in the fiberglass from the medicine cabinet.
Lock the gate.
Throw the medicine cabinet in the garbage bin.
Eat the lunch the wife prepared.
Think about doing our taxes.

I have declared the worts of winter to me over.
Unplug shore power to the RV and disconnect the chassis battery maintainer.
Started the RV's chassis engine and coach generator.
Air the RV's 6 tires and the air shocks.
Plug in an electric heater and turn on the A/C heat pump to put a load on the generator. Nothing!
Check for a AC breaker tripped in the coach power panel. None. Turn all the breakers on/off anyway and press resent on the GFI breaker. Still no AC.
Take the cover off the generator. Found the AC breaker, wasn't tripped. Breaker turns on/off anyway too easy, no click.
Still no AC to the coach. Too cold out to start crawling around with a multi-meter.
Unlock the gate and drive the RV away from my shop overhead door. Now I can get the mule back in the shop.
Shut off the generator and chassis engine (gages read normal).
Put the battery maintainer and its extension cord away.
Plug the RV back into shore power.
Remove the metal medicine cabinet from the bath. I keep bumping into it with an elbow when showering.
Think about how to cover and water proof the four screws holes left in the fiberglass from the medicine cabinet.
Lock the gate.
Throw the medicine cabinet in the garbage bin.
Eat the lunch the wife prepared.
Think about doing our taxes.

Thats a lot of work for the money. Our 'rv' comes in a bag now like it use to. We had to give a man TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS cash to take our rv off our hands. We owed 20,000.00 on it. Never again,plus were too old to build a bus again,But I still get tears in my eyes when I see a shorty school bus,below is pic of our we sold 5 yr ago,

1614880061430.jpeg

Today was a day of organizations moving building supplies and tossing old boards to make room for the other walls.

20210304_130538.jpg

All of those boards were in our way. Image below shows the great room now that the ladders and scaffold is down.

20210304_142402.jpg

Below is the pile of lumber piled in front of the built wall.

20210304_142428.jpg

The image below shows the cleared out area at the end of the day.

20210304_142421.jpg

We did some brainstorming now that we have the master bedroom framed. Both @Firepolice271 and I are concerned how a queen size bed would fit taking into consideration access to the closet and door swings and a chest of drawers etc. We are pretty much convinced we should move the entry door to the bedroom.

It is a slight setback but better to figure it out now rather than find out later that people are dismissing renting the place because the door to the bedroom prevents a queen sized bed. Moving the door will allow for 4 different ways the bed can be oriented. Two Twin beds could also be used.

We also brainstormed the electrical outlets etc.

Tomorrow we start the other walls, God willing.

Behave

Ben

Ben

Today was a day of organizations moving building supplies and tossing old boards to make room for the other walls.

View attachment 60388

All of those boards were in our way. Image below shows the great room now that the ladders and scaffold is down.

View attachment 60389

View attachment 60390

View attachment 60391

We did some brainstorming now that we have the master bedroom framed. Both @Firepolice271 and I are concerned how a queen size bed would fit taking into consideration access to the closet and door swings and a chest of drawers etc. We are pretty much convinced we should move the entry door to the bedroom.

It is a slight setback but better to figure it out now rather than find out later that people are dismissing renting the place because the door to the bedroom prevents a queen sized bed. Moving the door will allow for 4 different ways the bed can be oriented. Two Twin beds could also be used.

Behave

Ben

Ben
We are planning to have pocket doors - no door swing to account for :)

Pocket doors have not been ruled out yet.
:thumbs:

Ben
This is just a little useless trivia - you might already know. When pocket doors came to be, they were quickly becoming recognized for their space saving and practicality. It was just as their popularity was "taking off" that talkies (movies with sound) were born. The effect of the motion and sound of slamming a door was necessary in the 'battle' of picture shows vs. talkies. Even though talkies won, they continued to use both the swing of the slamming door and the sound for dramatic effect and the popularity of pocket doors waned. Yep, I'm full of useless info., just don't ask me anything important :)

I am down to 114 emails which include an estate proceeding and family genealogy. I'm working at getting all my info. off of my computer. Once all the emails have been dealt with, I will work on photos. Those won't be quite so bad. Save the ones I actually want to a thumb drive and have them printed. The rest can remain or not - whatever. (I try not to keep tons of meaningless pix and regularly go through and delete.)

View attachment 60388

View attachment 60389

View attachment 60390

View attachment 60391

Behave

Ben

Ben

Neb I hear lumber is really high now hope you have all you need for now. Project looks good.

Back