What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are awake early too (2:30-3AM) - Hubby's brain is on work and I have probably only slept through the night about 2 weeks worth of nights since the last time change. I usually prefer standard time so not sure what the deal is but am hopeful that here in a couple weeks when we switch back, that I am able to sleep better.

Y'all ever have a dream so scary you woke up and couldn't get back to sleep? That's what I'm doing...trying to get back to sleep after one of those dreams.

Apparently, that is a side effect of taking two atarax or zyrtec. Took me quite awhile to realize that was the problem. I would wake up already out of bed and ready to fight or run. Moved that fast.

Taking it kind of easy today.
Cooked up some bell peppers, onions and mushrooms. Then some turkey sausage.
That will go with eggs for breakfasts for a few days.
I have turnips cooking so I can mash them.
Par boiled some chicken to grill in awhile.
I will do a video in in a bit.
I may start thawing some chicken to Pressure can. Monday.

Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from my little brother's supervisor asking if I'd heard from him. He hadn't been at work for 2 days and wasn't answering phone. Police were sent for wellness check. He had passed away 2 days before. Dealing with a lot of people over the phone. I've not had to do this before. I have done some walking and been on the phone. If I'm not here so much, I'm ok but wanted to explain. I talked to my brother every other week and we texted, but he was 1,700 miles away. Hug your loved ones when you can!

So sorry Snap for you loss, Thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

Kitchen has been picked up.
Have walked over 2.76 miles today.
Have left foot elevated.
Crocheting on Strawberry's kennel pad.
Strawberry missed me this morning.
She hasn't let me out of her sight since I got home at 10:30 am.
Lunch and supper wasn't much.
Only ate to fill hunger pains.
Tired, will be going to bed sooner than later.

🙏

Hubby got TShirt in mail today read' Grandpaw since 87. She is the first grand and was born in 1987.
We really enjoyed the kids when they were younger.Now they are all grown and busy except the youngest one is 16. 13 grands and 15 great grands. Makes me tired just thinking about all those kids. 5 in Texas we haven't even seen.

Eight more days, March 14th. (it's always between the 8th and the 14th of March inclusive)

What were the main features of your dream?
Well...it was a dream, so it didn't all make sense. But I was in my kitchen and 6 young people (5 men and 1 girl) just came walking in my door. They were stereotypical Gen Z looking about 20 years old. The girl tried to distract me and the boys started looking around. I they needed to go, now! The boys started picking up my stuff. I reached for my phone and my gun but I didn't have them! Three of the boys were between me and the closet where I keep my BUG. I started for it but they blocked the door and said I didn't want to do that. The one that seemed to be the leader said "it gets dangerous here for criminals like you" which I took to mean a conservative middle age guy. And then I started to feel that paralyzed helpless feeling like you get in a dream and I woke up.

I spent the first part of the day digging up Rose of Sharon bushes that I had growing in the backyard nursery. I used them to fill in some gaps in the hedge I have at one of my rental properties. I took some pictures of some of the interesting stuff while I was there.

20210306_125216.jpg

The two white pipes are used to shock the springs under the mounds they emerge from.

20210306_125601.jpg

The pond is feed by those two developed springs and two others.

20210306_135207.jpg

Spring box#1 is running slow.

20210306_144047.jpg

Spring #2 is running a little better.

After planting the Rose of Sharon bushes The Princess joined me for walk to the top of The Ridge to inspect cobditions and plan where we need to replace dead fruit trees and plant Elderberry Service berries and where the chestnut and English walnut groves will go.

The existing fruit trees had what looks like (I am still learning) a lot of fruiting spurs. If a late frost doesn't hit us we may have some apples and pears this year.

I also showed her my pruning strategies I invoked to get an old pear and apple tree to be more useful. Fruit 30-40 feet off of the ground is not of much use. Time will tell if it works out.

Ben

Eight more days, March 14th. (it's always between the 8th and the 14th of March inclusive)

I am NOT going to remember that! You'll just have to tell me again next year. And the year after and the year after that and the year after that.......

Today: 2 loads of laundry, 2 bundt cakes, homemade ice cream, batch of peppermint-chocolate drizzlers, 1 batch Irish cream, supper, all dishes done & 2 trips in to work for emergency "parts-runs". Tomorrow, taking cast irons of Swiss steak and Swiss chicken with fixin's to in-laws to celebrate MIL's 80th Bday. I'm already whooped. Hoping to relax a little Sunday. Hubby will be working, trying to finish up "the job from H3//."
I'm supposed to be getting a new laptop next week. I have an old Acer that no longer connects to the Internet and only runs if it's plugged in, an iPad 2 which I'm on now that only pulls up email, forum, and some web sites but seldom any pictures. It often won't let me like a post - that's just asking too much of it 😂 The big computer mostly works- sorta. Can't edit photos or try to do anything too big but ... The laptop will replace all 3 dinosaurs 😊
@dademoss That's some bad new one can live with 😉

Your laptop sounds like my old one, I just got a new Dell about a month ago. The old one was 8 years old and I got it refurbished...
Have fun at the birthday party

Terri,
Hopefully we can convince the government that cutting a foot off one end of a blanket and sewing it on the other end doesn't make the blanket longer. Our clock doesn't change much. Get up before sunrise and go to bed after sunset. The only time I use a clock is for appointments and we have darn few of them.

We sent a sheep and a goat to the auction today, hope we get a good price for them. It's finally been dry and sunny for a few days but still very cold.
I finally went to the doctor for my heart issue, have a phone appointment with a cardiologist next week, wish me luck . It might be what I had before ( just anxiety) but she told me EKG didn't look bad but not exactly normal either. But they told me that 6 years ago too.
Waiting on goat kids and lambs, they should be starting to arrive in a week or so. One of them looks like she is ready to pop any day now.

I rolled out the bikes and started getting them ready for nice weather. I did points plugs and condenser. Changed all fluids installed a new windshield and I was going to install a new set of fishtails but didn’t have the correct brackets. I love this old bike and really try and take good care of it. This summer will mark its 45 year on the road.
8920D15A-9AE0-4F2B-BA25-5E9460B3CC85.jpeg
4B48FBBA-B7A8-41D2-8249-772CC09C0A8B.jpeg
7706CEA7-E681-4B2E-8C25-87EF1267E5FC.jpeg
16A08D3C-0518-455E-8C81-0B34A5F0D849.jpeg
54796480-BF92-4438-B8F8-AE477A91AA0F.jpeg

Hashbrown I have bins like that for screws and nails in the workshop, but my dad put them up so high I can't reach them easily. LOL. I don't know how he reached them either, he was only two inches taller than me.

I was up late until about 7am. Slept a few hours but then Mom wanted food so I got up and made her scrambled eggs (my brother was helpful and made the toast & brought it to her).

Cleaned litterboxes. The one my brother is supposed to be responsible for was really nasty so I had to take it outside and scrub it. He never changes litterboxes and I let it sit too long. But it's clean now. Used a different type of litter in it so cats weren't as enthusiastic about jumping in it as usual.

Didn't wear gloves so I had to scrub my hands afterwards and then washed dishes. Was expecting Mom to want shepherd's pie tonight but she's not feeling well (probably side effects from the vaccine). I'm expecting her to call me after midnight to make something.

Shoulder and arm on right side are still bugging me.

Saw a youtube video about new tools and home improvement products. There's some new subfloor with a waterproof coating I'd love to get. Bet it's expensive as hell though.

Hashbrown I have bins like that for screws and nails in the workshop, but my dad put them up so high I can't reach them easily. LOL. I don't know how he reached them either, he was only two inches taller than me.

I love hardware! Nails, bolts, washers, screws I'm a fastener freak! I keep them all separated in their correct spot.

Just worked outside today

I don't know about out your way but it was a pretty day for it over here!

I don't know about out your way but it was a pretty day for it over here!
It was an amazing day in Iowa too. Low fifties, sunny, and no wind. We spent a couple hours at a state park just walking and enjoying the outdoors.

There were a couple ice fishermen on the lake. We went out and checked the ice. Even though it has been well above freezing for several days, the ice was nearly two feet thick in places. Still got a long way to go before the fishing gets good...

This weekend I’m busy with a ham radio contest. For those who don’t know, during this particular contest the US and Canada try to contact other hams around the world on the shortwave bands for a 48 hour period. The solar cycle is near the bottom of activity which makes for poor operating conditions but it’s starting to pick up. Looking forward to it building up over the next few years.

Finished the night with a contact in South Africa 8,500 miles away with 100 watts. (not on frequency shown)
7F5CB843-DF3E-41E1-8F8E-41F152A13544.jpeg
46D0FCEE-B22C-49F9-AFE4-4F289B35867A.jpeg

This weekend I’m busy with a ham radio contest. For those who don’t know, during this particular contest the US and Canada try to contact other hams around the world on the shortwave bands for a 48 hour period. The solar cycle is near the bottom of activity which makes for poor operating conditions but it’s starting to pick up. Looking forward to it building up over the next few years.

Finished the night with a contact in South Africa 8,500 miles away with 100 watts. (not on frequency shown)
View attachment 60537View attachment 60538
I remember that game.

Isn't there post cards involved that are collected as proof of the connections?

Ben

Isn't there post cards involved that are collected as proof of the connections?
Yes, they’re called QSL Cards. Very enjoyable to get these in the mail though many are done electronically now over the internet. (The Russian MIR Space Station contact was with American Astronaut Shannon Lucid when she was aboard)
0DF2326A-E642-451C-B67C-45AEE5B5D12F.jpg
7F627E46-053A-4273-ACDE-99B1E5603CB0.jpg
1888D69F-DE5D-44E9-AB54-C7923E0B0F8A.jpg

Latest posts

Back