What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🙏's " for you Snappy".

I got this in mail yesterday, and return address said, itti bitti, kitti, Wa. . Figure it's from oldest Grand Daughter, maybe. :dunno:

DSCN1241.JPG

Son and his girlfriend left on the 3 am train, and now we'll be leaving for the airport in an hour to pick up our daughter who is staying for a few days. Little granddaughter is visiting with her mom right now, and the visit is about over, so I'll have to say something. Planning dinner at my favorite cousin's tonight.

I haven't checked this thread in a while, been too busy to keep up or post. Dad is trying to get out and about but he really isn't able. He lost a tooth out of his dentures about 10 days ago, that was a saga I thought would never end. The people at the dentist office where I got the tooth glued back in were complete morons. Get this, when I picked them up I didn't have a mask. The lady made me stand outside while she brought me one, took 4 minutes and 17 seconds. Then she went to get his repaired upper plate, took 34 seconds... and another 15 seconds for me to pay exact cash.

I'll have to get the garden plowed and rows laid out, dad wants to plant tomatoes. I have sweet corn & water melon seed left over from last year, might as well plant those.

Have a funeral to attend to tomorrow, a favorite uncle. I'll miss that guy, we were never close but I always liked him a lot.

Well...it was a dream, so it didn't all make sense. But I was in my kitchen and 6 young people (5 men and 1 girl) just came walking in my door. They were stereotypical Gen Z looking about 20 years old. The girl tried to distract me and the boys started looking around. I they needed to go, now! The boys started picking up my stuff. I reached for my phone and my gun but I didn't have them! Three of the boys were between me and the closet where I keep my BUG. I started for it but they blocked the door and said I didn't want to do that. The one that seemed to be the leader said "it gets dangerous here for criminals like you" which I took to mean a conservative middle age guy. And then I started to feel that paralyzed helpless feeling like you get in a dream and I woke up.
So the closest I come up with from what you say is "threat" and "assault". I will just post what it says and let you take it from there.
Threat: You are being strongly warned against gambling or speculation if your dream featured any form of threat or threatening atmosphere.
Assault: You will be given some information which will be of great value to you if you were assaulted in your dream; if others were assaulted, you may have to defend an attack on your character.

Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from my little brother's supervisor asking if I'd heard from him. He hadn't been at work for 2 days and wasn't answering phone. Police were sent for wellness check. He had passed away 2 days before. Dealing with a lot of people over the phone. I've not had to do this before. I have done some walking and been on the phone. If I'm not here so much, I'm ok but wanted to explain. I talked to my brother every other week and we texted, but he was 1,700 miles away. Hug your loved ones when you can!
I'm sorry to hear you sad news. Hugs to you.

The granddaughters spent the night and I was up to the wee hours with the elder planning an overnight camping trip this summer. We will break our backpacks next Sunday and let the girls get some hands on time with gear and maybe fire up the wisperlite camp stove.

After the girls departed, I earned my keep fixing a headlight in The Priness's car. She had done some searching and decided it was easy enough to have me do it.

Q: How many retired software architects does it take to change a light bulb?
A: NONE! Its a hardware problem.

So she ordered from Amazon and I got around to it today. Turns out she didn't order a light bulb but rather a LED retrofit kit. The LED assembly dropped right in but fitting the LED driver and wire into the housing was literally like pack ten pounds of sheite into a one pound sack.

I have one more task before I am allowed to goof off for today.

20210307_170925.jpg

Ben

Well I'm not as lost as I thought I was. The neighbor told me it changed last week!
I heard on the radio something about a time change show. I had to pull my phone at the next stop light and do a search. Next Sunday. I think it is just wrong to announce on the air that time changed when it hadn't. If I hadn't been just scrolling through the stations, I might have known which station was.

So the closest I come up with from what you say is "threat" and "assault". I will just post what it says and let you take it from there.
Threat: You are being strongly warned against gambling or speculation if your dream featured any form of threat or threatening atmosphere.
Assault: You will be given some information which will be of great value to you if you were assaulted in your dream; if others were assaulted, you may have to defend an attack on your character.
I tend to see dreams a bit more literally. It's just my mind telling me, I'm not invulnerable in my safe little home town. Even though it's a very safe environment compared to most, things can and do happen here.

I don't think it's any more complicated than that. When my daughter was small I used to have nightmares about losing her in a crowd, or having a moment of inattention and she would get into a life threatening situation I couldn't get her out of. Those things are just my sleeping mind telling me to beware of things that could happen in the waking world, I think...

I got my work done today and was sitting at my bench looking out the window and a little bacon press caught my eye. It had probably been sitting there a couple of years waiting it’s turn to get cleaned up and seasoned. Made for a fun little afternoon project. View attachment 60593View attachment 60594View attachment 60595View attachment 60597
If you sit at your bench again and find another one, I would buy it from you. I’ve sorta been looking for one for 7-8 years now. I don’t want a made in China, plastic handle ordeal. That one looks like a good one 🐖

I got my work done today and was sitting at my bench looking out the window and a little bacon press caught my eye. It had probably been sitting there a couple of years waiting it’s turn to get cleaned up and seasoned. Made for a fun little afternoon project. View attachment 60593View attachment 60594View attachment 60595View attachment 60597
Showing my ignorance...

So you put that on bacon while frying it to keep it flat?

The Princess and regularly fry up 8 pounds or so of bacon using 2 pans and flip them regularly as we feed the assembly line.

How exactly are those used?

Ben

@LadyLocust I see them quite frequently, I’ll grab you one and would love to fix it up for you!
Wow! Thank you!!! If/when you find one, just PM me. Thanks again. It might sound silly, but our “old” out here is so much newer than back east. It’s ironic that more of the good stuff hasn’t found its way west. We want to take our trailer and make a trip east at some point. When we do there are a few things we want to look for the other side of the Mississippi. We already said we’ll have to pack light because we’ll probably come back with a full load.

Wow! Thank you!!! If/when you find one, just PM me. Thanks again. It might sound silly, but our “old” out here is so much newer than back east. It’s ironic that more of the good stuff hasn’t found its way west. We want to take our trailer and make a trip east at some point. When we do there are a few things we want to look for the other side of the Mississippi. We already said we’ll have to pack light because we’ll probably come back with a full load.
Thank you!

The Princess and I had considered a road trip in retirement but with few exceptions never did agree on an itinerary or theme.

An exploration of resale shops is a great idea.

Ben

Showing my ignorance...

So you put that on bacon while frying it to keep it flat?

The Princess and regularly fry up 8 pounds or so of bacon using 2 pans and flip them regularly as we feed the assembly line.

How exactly are those used?

Ben
So the answer is yes it keeps the bacon flat but also keeps it from spitting as much and help it cook thoroughly - you know how the bits that curl up kinda stay raw while the bit on the pan gets cooked. Also for large quantities, I oven fry it. Lay it out on cookie sheets or cake pans, about 10 minutes at 425* drain, flip, back in oven for another 10-15 minutes. Then larger quantity all done at once. With as much as you said, still might take a couple rounds, but less mess and less work.
Will be curious what HB answers- maybe I’m all wrong 🤪

Thank you!

The Princess and I had considered a road trip in retirement but with few exceptions never did agree on an itinerary or theme.

An exploration of resale shops is a great idea.

Ben
Hey now, don’t go getting all the good stuff 🙃

LadyL, are you still in Washington? If you get this far east give us a pm.You can camp here for nothing, I can't get my family to like my tent ,lol.I see you have a trailor so can plug it up here.

If you make it near ohio let me know, I'll buy lunch :)

We have to be able to leave work for more than 1 day and we’d like things to actually be open so have to see what happens. We want to see Appalachia in the fall which is also hunting season soooo not exactly sure when. Would love to meet y’all in person 💕

We have to be able to leave work for more than 1 day and we’d like things to actually be open so have to see what happens. We want to see Appalachia in the fall which is also hunting season soooo not exactly sure when. Would love to meet y’all in person 💕

It is beautiful in the Appalathians in the fall .I haven't seen them myself in a couple decades. Love fall colors.But we do have a nice beach an hour and half away..

I'm on a small farm in Southwest Virginia and near the Great Smoky Mountains. You could camp on the farm and be close enough to visit several areas of Tenn, NC. Lots of beautiful fall colors (and hunting) around here.
And lots of pawn shops, antique shops and junk stores around. Would love to have you visit if you get this far east.

Latest posts

Back