What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bailey is almost 100% healed. The abscess was no longer filling with pus and the hole was almost healed. She was in better spirits on Friday before we left for my folks' place. I made sure she got the full course of antibiotics in the week before we left and she was even allowing us to stroke her from head to tail tip without growling. We will see how she is when we get back tomorrow.

I am having trouble finding a gas single burner stove for our evac kit. I was looking at the Coleman Sportster duel fuel stove but no one has it in stock. I liked it because it uses their lantern base and the parts are easy to find and replace. (I use to restore Coleman lanterns as a hobby before the kids were born.). Anyone know of a similiar stove?

When we get home I am going to start putting the new Bobs together. I really need to get this stuff done NOW! I have been lazy about the Bobs because I have been focused on the LTFS inventory and keeping our pantry stocked.
Your post got me to thinking about the Coleman stoves, I can hardly believe the price of them now. I have 3, the feather weight (for backpacking), the single burner duel fuel (For 72 hour kits) and a 2 burner for family camping (which we have not done for a decade)... I would hate to have to replace them at today's prices. I also have propane versions of a single and 2 burner stove along with the long hose to use with the larger tanks. Never have enough options when things go south....

Bailey is almost 100% healed. The abscess was no longer filling with pus and the hole was almost healed. She was in better spirits on Friday before we left for my folks' place. I made sure she got the full course of antibiotics in the week before we left and she was even allowing us to stroke her from head to tail tip without growling. We will see how she is when we get back tomorrow.

I am having trouble finding a gas single burner stove for our evac kit. I was looking at the Coleman Sportster duel fuel stove but no one has it in stock. I liked it because it uses their lantern base and the parts are easy to find and replace. (I use to restore Coleman lanterns as a hobby before the kids were born.). Anyone know of a similiar stove?

When we get home I am going to start putting the new Bobs together. I really need to get this stuff done NOW! I have been lazy about the Bobs because I have been focused on the LTFS inventory and keeping our pantry stocked.
For stoves, I can recommend MSR Whisperlite, burns white gas and great for backpacking. I also have an ancient single burner Coleman white gas, and a Coleman 2 burner with both white gas and propane capability.

Your post got me to thinking about the Coleman stoves, I can hardly believe the price of them now. I have 3, the feather weight (for backpacking), the single burner duel fuel (For 72 hour kits) and a 2 burner for family camping (which we have not done for a decade)... I would hate to have to replace them at today's prices. I also have propane versions of a single and 2 burner stove along with the long hose to use with the larger tanks. Never have enough options when things go south....

This is why I got good at repairing and restoring Coleman lanterns and white gas stoves. We have a pair of propane 2-burner stoves in our camping gear. Two is one and one is none.

My folks have old Coleman gear I spent some time restoring. They were grateful but to be honest it isn't hard to do.

Happy Easter! Busy day, today!

Did video first.
Made 3 bean salad.
Sunday School and Church.
Made jello salad.
Cut up chicken, chicken livers, carrots and sweet potatoes for dog food.
Made chicken pot pie for dinner.
Made copies of papers for a friend.
Only thing left to do is assemble the dog food in roaster and slow cooker to cook overnight.
So glad I only do this every 2 or 3 months!

The windows are opened for fresh air.
Will have to close up for the night soon.
Been doing the "juggling thing" lately.
But done for now or at least till my arm gets stronger.
Pretty sure I'm done.
Also done my last official "Honors Team Duty".
My arm won't let me, it's not strong enough at the moment.
And probably won't be until after "Rotor-Cup surgery is completed.
That duty saddens me greatly at this time.
I seem to burying people my age or younger.
Had the Grand daughter Friday.
We found where those 4 year old seeds we planted while back have started to sprout.
Spinach is up, Kale is up, Rainbow Swiss Chard is up.
But no carrots as of yet.
We will be planting 4 inch flowerpots of Wildflowers next week for Mother's Day gifts for her Mommy.
She and I have scheduled another "Sleepover" date 16 April 2021.
Just so you know Granny doesn't sleep much when she's here.
Strawberry is sleeping on my lap.
It's quite here today, and we are enjoying it.

My grandson's first helping. He is a growing boy.

169323776_5199952773408684_7331506047757091665_n.jpg

The windows are opened for fresh air.
Will have to close up for the night soon.
Been doing the "juggling thing" lately.
But done for now or at least till my arm gets stronger.
Pretty sure I'm done.
Also done my last official "Honors Team Duty".
My arm won't let me, it's not strong enough at the moment.
And probably won't be until after "Rotor-Cup surgery is completed.
That duty saddens me greatly at this time.
I seem to burying people my age or younger.
Had the Grand daughter Friday.
We found where those 4 year old seeds we planted while back have started to sprout.
Spinach is up, Kale is up, Rainbow Swiss Chard is up.
But no carrots as of yet.
We will be planting 4 inch flowerpots of Wildflowers next week for Mother's Day gifts for her Mommy.
She and I have scheduled another "Sleepover" date 16 April 2021.
Just so you know Granny doesn't sleep much when she's here.
Strawberry is sleeping on my lap.
It's quite here today, and we are enjoying it.
The Princess doesn't get much sleep either when the girls stay over. The elder wants to stay up late with Gramma all to herself while the younger gets Gramma all to herself in the morning. It's Rough on The Princess but they are the little girls she dreamed of indulging.

I have been a bit scarse because I have been binge listening to Atlas Shrugged. Finished it minutes ago. I have been driven by what is happening in the world and greatly desired to hear the narative that goes with the world's news.

Side bar

How could a movie capture the story that pivots on John Gault's radio address when listening to the speech read aloud takes 5 hours!?

I did get some wiring done yesterday and plan to resume tomorrow.

Back at it

Ben

Grimm, I'm so glad Bailey is recovering.
Walmart has some el cheapo Hercules brand one Bestbuy KE111 Cookinex Portable Gas Stove - Walmart.com

I saw one on HeartlandAmerica but realized it was out of stock.

I went to the grocery store & got milk & some flat washers to use as shims to try to level my closet flange. Got mom baked potato and boneless skinless chicken for lunch.
I'm about to take a nap. It was warmer outside today & the heat saps my energy.

This weekend I Planted a dozen cabbage plants, 6 spinach, & 6 lettuce plants. Fertilized my onions and asparagus. Pulled the rest of the parsnips from last year. Got a good 5 lbs worth once they were cleaned and trimmed. Mowed the yard and finished off the trim on the rasied beds. Got 2 of the three planed. And I've got a dozen mater plants ready to go in there. Hopefully enough space left for 4 pepeper plants as well.

@Grimm I have a handy little single burner - will look and see what brand etc. and let you know.
The Princess doesn't get much sleep either when the girls stay over. The elder wants to stay up late with Gramma all to herself while the younger gets Gramma all to herself in the morning. It's Rough on The Princess but they are the little girls she dreamed of indulging.

I have been a bit scarse because I have been binge listening to Atlas Shrugged. Finished it minutes ago. I have been driven by what is happening in the world and greatly desired to hear the narative that goes with the world's news.

Side bar

How could a movie capture the story that pivots on John Gault's radio address when listening to the speech read aloud takes 5 hours!?

I did get some wiring done yesterday and plan to resume tomorrow.

Back at it

Ben
I'm on part 61 of 94 first CD. Figured out JG was the 3rd student and a couple smaller details. Haven't figured out where the 5th concerto comes into play. I only get so much listening time - something about working 🙄 But even so far, I can see the resemblance to our situation today.
Had a nice day at the folks with 2 of the nieces and one of their roommates.

This morning was spent dealing with a wayward bull and my grtnephew. Had a long fruitful talk with dad on the subject, making sure he and I were on the same page concerning the whole situation going forward.

light housekeeping this afternoon, making sure there were no nooks or crannies where fruit flies might reproduce. Tv this evening.

Speaking of fruit flies, learned something new last night. They hate open flames. I noticed they vacated the area when I turned my gas stove on to cook supper. Last night while sitting in my recliner they were attracted to my computer monitor so I lit a tea candle. They avoided it.

Today I lit a tea candle by my plate when eating meals, again, the vanished. This evening I lit another by my monitor, same effect. Now I have another weapon, albeit a small one, but useful while prepping food, eating or sitting in my recliner.

A long journey tomorrow, have to take dad to get his hearing aids worked on, that will kill most of a day, might as well get groceries while out.

@Peanut , man I hope you can get that bull and cow problem taken care of. I hate to see skinny beef cows, especially on the road.

Wife just left to shop all day with our oldest granddaughter. She needs new office type dress clothes . She just got hired full time to work in our lawyers office. He's the best and biggest law firm in our county. Yeah she will be starting law school in the fall. She wants to be a lawyer.

Thought I'd stay home and get the zero turn ready for season. Blades, oil/filter change , clean deck, lube .

Gotta be careful as wife isn't here to rescue me of my carelessness.

75 deg outside... perfect day.

Y'all try to have a perfect day.

Jim

This morning was spent dealing with a wayward bull and my grtnephew. Had a long fruitful talk with dad on the subject, making sure he and I were on the same page concerning the whole situation going forward.

light housekeeping this afternoon, making sure there were no nooks or crannies where fruit flies might reproduce. Tv this evening.

Speaking of fruit flies, learned something new last night. They hate open flames. I noticed they vacated the area when I turned my gas stove on to cook supper. Last night while sitting in my recliner they were attracted to my computer monitor so I lit a tea candle. They avoided it.

Today I lit a tea candle by my plate when eating meals, again, the vanished. This evening I lit another by my monitor, same effect. Now I have another weapon, albeit a small one, but useful while prepping food, eating or sitting in my recliner.

A long journey tomorrow, have to take dad to get his hearing aids worked on, that will kill most of a day, might as well get groceries while out.

Have to remember the fruit fly trick,candle,huh? Hope the cattle recovers well from diet.

@Peanut , man I hope you can get that bull and cow problem taken care of. I hate to see skinny beef cows, especially on the road.

Wife just left to shop all day with our oldest granddaughter. She needs new office type dress clothes . She just got hired full time to work in our lawyers office. He's the best and biggest law firm in our county. Yeah she will be starting law school in the fall. She wants to be a lawyer.

Thought I'd stay home and get the zero turn ready for season. Blades, oil/filter change , clean deck, lube .

Gotta be careful as wife isn't here to rescue me of my carelessness.

75 deg outside... perfect day.

Y'all try to have a perfect day.

Jim

My goodness .time flys ,can't beleive she is already heading to college in the fall. Good for her.

Walked first and walked dogs this morning.
First 14 quarts of dog food are in canner and cooling, one more load of 2 canners to go. I may find something else to PC since the second canner won't be full.
Sill need to dust house and I will be done except watching canners. Yay!

Walked first and walked dogs this morning.
First 14 quarts of dog food are in canner and cooling, one more load of 2 canners to go. I may find something else to PC since the second canner won't be full.
Sill need to dust house and I will be done except watching canners. Yay!

Do you have farm animal meat to feed them DIY meals? We now just cook fro one dog and it is expensive. One of main reasons we probably won't get another dog.

Do you have farm animal meat to feed them DIY meals? We now just cook fro one dog and it is expensive. One of main reasons we probably won't get another dog.

No. Just buy all meat on sale and stock up so I don't have to go out and get it when it's time to make it. I get the number 10 cans of pinto or black beans at the salvage grocery. And use processor to slice all veggies.

No. Just buy all meat on sale and stock up so I don't have to go out and get it when it's time to make it. I get the number 10 cans of pinto or black beans at the salvage grocery. And use processor to slice all veggies.

Snap we buy on sale too but its still expensive.We don't have any places like that around here. Guess if shtf dog food will be our last worry,its every mutt for themselves,lol.

Just talked to my hay guy. He said the farmers down here were told that the irrigation water isn't being released on time this year because of some minnow. If you like Hatch chili's I'd stock up. Its going to affect them too.

Last edited:
So it's official - after 2 1/2 years, we are finally finished moving. Whew! Got the safe in the garage this morning. Had to get a forklift at the house to off-load it. There it will stay until our next move. I've really been in the tying up loose ends mode lately. Not sure what that's all about, but it feels good to no longer have that looming over us. One less thing to worry about. Now to sell the house and the tractor. We are headed in the right direction. I suppose this is decluttering at its finest.

So it's official - after 2 1/2 years, we are finally finished moving. Whew! Got the safe in the garage this morning. Had to get a forklift at the house to off-load it. There it will stay until our next move. I've really been in the tying up loose ends mode lately. Not sure what that's all about, but it feels good to no longer have that looming over us. One less thing to worry about. Now to sell the house and the tractor. We are headed in the right direction. I suppose this is decluttering at its finest.

I'm happy for yall,know how stressful moving can be.

Well, I'm pooped.

Got the big zero turn done.
Oil and filter , air filter, 1 deck roller replaced, then the flat front tire . I fought with that sucker for 2 hours. Finally got it to reseal to rim , but leaking out as fast as I put it in.
There was a hole in the inside side wall, about 1/4" , so I had to dig out my plug kit and plug in it.
Took a 2 hour lunch/rest break.

Then sharpened extra set of blades and finally found my 15/16" socket , then replaced blades.

That's my last time to do that.
It will go to local farm supply store from now on.
I pulled that damaged muscle in my back that I injured a few weeks ago .
Sitting on ice pack.
Too tired and hurting to even shower just yet.

But, it's ready to mow.

Jim:clapping:

Well, I'm pooped.

Got the big zero turn done.
Oil and filter , air filter, 1 deck roller replaced, then the flat front tire . I fought with that sucker for 2 hours. Finally got it to reseal to rim , but leaking out as fast as I put it in.
There was a hole in the inside side wall, about 1/4" , so I had to dig out my plug kit and plug in it.
Took a 2 hour lunch/rest break.

Then sharpened extra set of blades and finally found my 15/16" socket , then replaced blades.

That's my last time to do that.
It will go to local farm supply store from now on.
I pulled that damaged muscle in my back that I injured a few weeks ago .
Sitting on ice pack.
Too tired and hurting to even shower just yet.

But, it's ready to mow.

Jim:clapping:

Be careful! Your not supposed to hurt yourself, just the grass!

Carried a bunch of boxes out to the storage containers, need to clear stuff out of the way to prepare for hanging the drywall. Syphoning some lightly green water out of the pool. Got a check in the mail for the partial refund on the less that "A" quality container they sent us. GF is still surprised I got the refund for her. Simply asked if he lied to us when he promised better than "A" quality during the sales pitch or if he received a piece of crap and said Screw the customer, give it to them. He had to create option C and said it was a mistake and he would send us his profit on the sale, actually being $100.00 more that what he mentioned on the phone so she was very happy. About to take the kids friend home and get a bucket of composted horse manure dumped into the trailer. I need to top dress a few areas in the yard, so I guess I know what I will be doing this evening. Not my favorite way to stir the poop.

Brother and I worked on electrical boxes. I worked upstairs installing outlets he worked downstairs running wires to junction boxes. Started a pressure test on the gas lines.

Took the gorilla cart off the fig tree that used to protect it from the freeze last week.

Behave

Ben

Latest posts

Back