What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quarterly DR appt. this morning then I think I will come home and find a good western to watch. Gloomy drizzly day here so why not lol.

I did my annual rifle quals yesterday and played with the sidearm, maybe I'll set up the table in the living room and clean those while I watch the western. Sounds like a pleasant couple of hours....................:cool:

Last edited:
Woke up wide awake from a bad dream at 0257 this morning and didn't get back to sleep until around 0400. I'm all out of sorts today. Had a lot of things I want to do before I head back out to Western Iowa for work, but they're not going to happen.

We finally got some more rain last night. A lot of the farmers are done with planting already, but the ones who aren't will be grouchy for a couple days until it dries out enough to get back in the field. But they know the soil needed it. We've been fairly dry here for a long time...

Gloomy drizzly day here also.
Watching "Lawman " old western with Burt Lancaster.
Just started.

Waiting for the heavy rains and storms tonight.

Problem get out for a late lunch today.
Will run thru the forum , to see what's happening.

May tinker in garage a bit.

Y'all stay safe , and don't overdo whatever your doing.

Jim

Anywa

ON phone most of the morning, talking to kids about son andsil B-days Saturday pary,both milstone 50 and 60.Came from Texas,Alabama to daughters houses in Georgia,all had a great visit and time.
Friend and I talked about our first jobs at 12 washing dishes at restaurant and 5 and 10 cent stores. We had to scratch our last number of year to say we were 16,lol they knew better but didn't care.She could have passed but I was a skinny kid,she was early mature and then some!
We 'borrowed ' mama car one night and cop pulled us over and told her "shame on you for exposing this young girl to delinquecy" ,she said," shes older than I am" by 4 months.
Time to get ready for late dancersize then see what happens.

This morning walked and walked dogs.
Did 2 loads of laundry.
Took eBay photos.
Cut cheese for dog treats and did an extra pound so it is one less thing to do before I leave in 2 and a half weeks.
Labeled and put away grape jelly made yesterday.
Washed waterbath.
Put flea meds on dogs.
Still have one load of laundry to fold and done for the day.
Except for making homemade Dole whip.

A neighbor guy just posted a Youtube of our last fowl sale, the one last Friday night where I helped sell the food. His channel is Jordan's Harvest, and his video is called, "New Pets from the Animal Sale". He stayed later than we did. I saw our white pickup pulling out of parking around dusk in his video, and he was still staying. I hear that they didn't finish up till 11pm. They should of run two auctioneers! Thought about bringing lots of roosters to that sale, but glad we butchered instead. The market was swamped, although a neighbor paid $11 for a rooster, and I thought that was high. Anyway, that's our local sale that goes on once a month.

Sorry @MoBookworm1957 for your Strawberry troubles. Glad she is safe.
Thank you.
Got an update on Strawberry today.
According to my son and grand daughter she is living her best life.
Fenced yard, be able to bark all she wants,hop over the fence and enjoy the morning with the elderly neighbor man.
When he finishes his coffee, she hops back over the fence happily snoozes in the sun.
All before 0900 hours.
Then rest of day it's naps, food,tummy rubs.

Waited half the day for it to rain, was supposed to rain a lot, but didn't. So I finally watered the garden. We put the baby goats and lambs inside the barn so they don't get soaked ( and sick) but no rain. Whatever you do around here when it comes to the weather is wrong. When you expect it to rain, it will rain all around you but not right where you are. When you don't expect it to rain, there will be a rain cloud right over us, and pouring rain, but nowhere else.

So other than daily animal chores and cooking I didn't get much done today.

Taking my house back today.
Grand daughter, oldest son and I went to carnival to ride rides, play games, eat food so grand daughter had a good time.
Won her a pink lama.
3 loads of laundry washed, dried and put away.
Trash is taken out.
Wrapped some more of the rose bush around of the chicken planter.
So the rose bush doesn't reach out and get me.
bathroom is deep cleaned.
just got dishes left to do.
BP, have good time.
Spike, LazyL, my great grand parents name was rearranged.
some letters added, some removed.
Dad is feeling better.

Taking my house back today.
Grand daughter, oldest son and I went to carnival to ride rides, play games, eat food so grand daughter had a good time.
Won her a pink lama.
3 loads of laundry washed, dried and put away.
Trash is taken out.
Wrapped some more of the rose bush around of the chicken planter.
So the rose bush doesn't reach out and get me.
bathroom is deep cleaned.
just got dishes left to do.
BP, have good time.
Spike, LazyL, my great grand parents name was rearranged.
some letters added, some removed.
Dad is feeling better.
Glad to see you Mo. I just heard this morning about tornados down your direction.

Absolutely crazy day today 🤪 A Monday true to form. Still a gorgeous morning and after work, I came home and mowed the lawn, got a few more things planted, supper cooked, and everything watered. We still have lots to get in the ground - have to finish getting the ground ready for the plants - maybe tomorrow. I'll keep at'er.

The guy came to fix my recliner today, drove 200 miles. Yet didn’t have any parts with him from the warranty company. He had a spare motor and drive screw, that he said was his, but was rather vague about its actual origin.

His part worked better than the broken one but the chair still didn’t function properly. He said he’d file a report with the company. Said “They will send you the parts in a few days” and then “I’ll be sent back to install them”.

He also said I could go ahead and put the new parts in if I wanted but I shouldn’t tell the warranty company. This guy works for a 3rd party service company contracted by the warranty company.

I’m not going to void the warranty… that may be a whole different scam between him and the warranty company.

I guess now I have to put up with a poorly functioning recliner for a couple more weeks, which is better than a non-functioning recliner.

No sooner than that hub-bub was over when an elderly cousin called. Something happened to her freezer, people came and moved it out on the carport. When moving it they moved the tv/stand/dvd player. Afterwards they moved the tv/stand back and plugged it back up. A while later she discovered the dvd didn’t work.

So, I go down to fix it for her and her hubby. The freezer guys plugged up the tv but didn’t plug up the dvd… simple fix. She insisted I take $5 for my trouble... I know this lady well, there IS NO arguing with her. Didn't want the money... I'll give it to her son the next time I see him... He'll slip it back in their coffee can.

This afternoon I got the kitchen and hall mopped… watching tv this evening.

Last edited:
Won't be doing much today , didn't get much sleep last night.
I'm ok on the farm , no damage , but flooding and damage everywhere. Reports of tornadoes.
More will be coming later today.

See the white dot...that's home.
FB_IMG_1620141307490~2.jpg

Y'all stay safe.

Jim

Woke up wide awake from a bad dream at 0257 this morning and didn't get back to sleep until around 0400. I'm all out of sorts today. Had a lot of things I want to do before I head back out to Western Iowa for work, but they're not going to happen.

We finally got some more rain last night. A lot of the farmers are done with planting already, but the ones who aren't will be grouchy for a couple days until it dries out enough to get back in the field. But they know the soil needed it. We've been fairly dry here for a long time...

One of my daughters had a bad dream this morning too.She told the other daughter to call me and tell me about it,lolo.shes a card,guess I'll call her. Something about shtf and people attacking each other.

: a sons a son till he takes a wife,a daughter is a daughter for life".

Last night we had the Advisories from the weather service (messed up the wife's TV program). Got some rain and high wind, knocked down a few branches, but other than that everything is fine..

On lunch now, been reading for work till my eyes hurt. Last night I was reading and the power went out (my computer stayed on), it felt funny to be working in the dark...

@Supervisor42 @Peanut @MoBookworm1957 Anyone else down in that zone with weather wackiness, please keep yourselves well!!!
@UrbanHunter Are you down south too?
Sorry if I missed someone or several someones- not sure where everyone is on this round ol' globe. We just keep hearing about crazy weather around the delta states. I know you folks have it together - just know you're thought of.

@Supervisor42 @Peanut @MoBookworm1957 Anyone else down in that zone with weather wackiness, please keep yourselves well!!!
@UrbanHunter Are you down south too?
Sorry if I missed someone or several someones- not sure where everyone is on this round ol' globe. We just keep hearing about crazy weather around the delta states. I know you folks have it together - just know you're thought of.
@snappy1 is probably having fun going by the radar and warnings.
I watched their clouds being shipped up there yesterday, next-day air, moving fast.
Our weather has been wonky. Yesterday they predicted our rain chance for today was 100%. Today it was 20%, go figure. High today was 85° with 88% humidity. Welcome to the swamp! :thumbs:

Last edited:
Won't be doing much today , didn't get much sleep last night.
I'm ok on the farm , no damage , but flooding and damage everywhere. Reports of tornadoes.
More will be coming later today.

See the white dot...that's home.
View attachment 65567

Y'all stay safe.

Jim
You realize excessive rain isn't an excuse to skinny-dip right? 😂
You 2 stay safe and dry.

The storms finally arrived here and it sucked. We were in town shopping, on the way back the road was blocked by some trees that fell over and some guys pulled them out of the way. We got home and one of our apricot trees ( very large) split in half plus, this is a bad one, one of our large barn doors broke. It snapped the wood right in half in 3 areas. ( we built the door, barn didn't have one when we got here). Thankfully all the animals were ok, the goats were at the bottom of the pasture in a shelter with no trees around and it didn't get damaged, the sheep in a block building in another pasture. House is ok too.

I'm taking my wife to an Italian restaurant tonight for her birthday. Supposed to be the best Italian in this area.
I will not get myself in trouble by telling you what birthday it is but it's one of the big ones that have a zero at the end and it's not 60 or 80. :p
When I met her she was 18. Time flys.

I was transplanting raspberries and there was a big gust of wind. It took our patio umbrella all the way across the pasture and broke it into a hundred pieces. $50 shot to hell.

I'm taking my wife to an Italian restaurant tonight for her birthday. Supposed to be the best Italian in this area.
I will not get myself in trouble by telling you what birthday it is but it's one of the big ones that have a zero at the end and it's not 60 or 80. :p
When I met her she was 18. Time flys.

I was transplanting raspberries and there was a big gust of wind. It took our patio umbrella all the way across the pasture and broke it into a hundred pieces. $50 shot to hell.

Hope the wife enjoys her B-Day and yall have a good time.:presents:for the wife.

Been staying in a cabin on a lake north of hear since Saturday. Had very poor cell coverage and nothing else there. We saw 2 boats the whole time. only a handful of planes. Did see 1 Blackhawk and 1 Chinnok fly over. Otherwise just really quite other than the birds. We walked around and saw a bunch of wild flowers and probably 20 different types of trees. Got out yesterday while it was raining and drove around a little to see the country side. Got home this afternoon and got the dog. Back to work tomorrow.
We really needed a few days away to just unwind.

Been staying in a cabin on a lake north of hear since Saturday. Had very poor cell coverage and nothing else there. We saw 2 boats the whole time. only a handful of planes. Did see 1 Blackhawk and 1 Chinnok fly over. Otherwise just really quite other than the birds. We walked around and saw a bunch of wild flowers and probably 20 different types of trees. Got out yesterday while it was raining and drove around a little to see the country side. Got home this afternoon and got the dog. Back to work tomorrow.

Glad yall had a good time and got away.We all need to do that sometimes.

Today we had layered salad for dinner, the wife got it started but after a few minutes standing up she wasn't feeling well. I helped get her to her chair and checked her O2 levels, 81 not great, combine that with her constant low blood pressure and I could see why she was feeling funny. So I finished up the salad, it was nice to be able to use the vegetables out of the garden.

Glad you got out, have fun. 👍

Latest posts

Back