What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2A3C6407-F7AD-4CCA-89EA-FF9DE624081E.jpeg

I’m walking through a cool graveyard at night with a torch. No relation to the deceased. Good experience anyway.
View attachment 66032View attachment 66033
I've been known to stroll through the cemetery, in the daylight. It's a quiet peaceful place to just think. Occasionally I'll stop to look at an old grave like the one in your pic. There is a life story under every one of those stones. For the ones more than 3 generations old, no one remembers the story. Maybe it just lives on a page in a family history book. Quite sobering to realize that we all will suffer that fate someday...

Today at work our crew pulled the planks out of a railroad crossing and it was full of snakes. They were about 2-3 feet long and their coloring mimics the coral snake, but opposite. (Red touches black not yellow.) They looked like scarlet king snakes. Only thing is, scarlet king snake range ends 400 miles southeast of here. I've been looking up snakes with that pattern for an hour with no luck. Still haven't figured out what they were...

Probably are scarlet kings. The "range" of plants used by feds and universities are based on a plant being found and then "reported" to the USDA. I know of 3 species of plants here on the farm that have never been reported north of Mobile AL... 250 miles south.

I heard the same process is used for insects, reptiles and critters. Unless a scientist finds it and reports it then "it" doesn't officially live there.

In this age of modern travel a scarlet king could have dropped off a truck and wintered underneath those boards..

Went to have dinner with my family and my nieces fiances family at Olive Garden in the Knoxville. Never met any of the Fiances family before. They were all very nice and friendly. After knowing the fiance for a couple years, I'm not surprised. For a 22 yo I couldn't wish for a better guy for my niece. For young folks they are good Christians and politically very conservative. He is as old soul as you could imagine. My step dad is one that is old school. He and Wyatt have hit it off big time. He just graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering, Neice is working on her Masters (already has her BS) is Archetechure. They've both done multiple internships and have very good referencenes from them. They both did interns where I work and were asked to continue on, but Covid screwed that up for them. As you can expect I am so proud of both of them.
Afterward I finished mowing. Meant to do some tilling, fertilizing, and hoeing but it got dark too soon. Back to that ASAP

Went to have dinner with my family and my nieces fiances family at Olive Garden in the Knoxville. Never met any of the Fiances family before. They were all very nice and friendly. After knowing the fiance for a couple years, I'm not surprised. For a 22 yo I couldn't wish for a better guy for my niece. For young folks they are good Christians and politically very conservative. He is as old soul as you could imagine. My step dad is one that is old school. He and Wyatt have hit it off big time. He just graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering, Neice is working on her Masters (already has her BS) is Archetechure. They've both done multiple internships and have very good referencenes from them. They both did interns where I work and were asked to continue on, but Covid screwed that up for them. As you can expect I am so proud of both of them.
Afterward I finished mowing. Meant to do some tilling, fertilizing, and hoeing but it got dark too soon. Back to that ASAP

Sounds like a couple good kids glad his fmily is nice too.

Today at work our crew pulled the planks out of a railroad crossing and it was full of snakes. They were about 2-3 feet long and their coloring mimics the coral snake, but opposite. (Red touches black not yellow.) They looked like scarlet king snakes. Only thing is, scarlet king snake range ends 400 miles southeast of here. I've been looking up snakes with that pattern for an hour with no luck. Still haven't figured out what they were...
A long time ago I saw some snakes that sound like what your are describing, Sonora palarostris, commonly known as the Sonoran shovelnose snake but they would be way south west of you too.

Went up the mountain to flush out the water lines and mow. Hubby weed wacked and played with the clogged up sprinklers. Turned into a longer day than we had anticipated. (Always something!) We did see a good sized bear on our way home. We've about been blown away the past 2 days so when we returned home, got 4 more peppers in the ground so Hubby has at least a couple doz. pepper plants. I think I have 16 tomato plants. Hoping to get the brussels in the ground tomorrow. Actually was hoping to yesterday but it was way too windy. My soil would have landed in the next county. I put a few more strawberries over by the gas tank, more moss in the sitting area, and am trying to start a wisteria vine that was on the ground and rooted - fingers crossed.
@MoBookworm1957 You're an awesome Granny!
@Amish Heart I have been looking for a good wringer washer! I have one that works but doesn't have a lid and needs a new hose.
@Spikedriver I would have quit my job right then and there! No way no how! I'm sorry you had to see the awful things. (Actually a neighbor caught one today when we were up the mountain. I wouldn't go near - am guessing a rubber boa)
@Bacpacker Old souls these days are a treasure. Glad she's found a good one.

I've been known to stroll through the cemetery, in the daylight. It's a quiet peaceful place to just think. Occasionally I'll stop to look at an old grave like the one in your pic. There is a life story under every one of those stones. For the ones more than 3 generations old, no one remembers the story. Maybe it just lives on a page in a family history book. Quite sobering to realize that we all will suffer that fate someday...
I have a gggg? uncle's journal from the 1860's. It has and entry when Lincoln was shot. Interesting and I feel privileged to have it. Also have letters from my GGgma from her Aunt Jane (her mother's sis) that are very special and speak of family things. Journals and letters aren't very common any more which is a shame. These are among my most treasured family pieces.

@LadyLocust the assistant foreman in charge of my work group is terrified of snakes. He jumped like Michael Jordan when he saw them. Several of the snakes slithered away but one coiled up and tried to strike anyone who came near. Another guy reached down, grabbed it behind the head, and threw it about 50 feet into the ditch. I went over to look at it. It didn't have any interest in striking at me after getting airmailed like that...

Today is Mother's day, so the first order of business it to wish all the Mom's out there a happy day.

I fixed some flowers and a card with pictures of all the kids and grand-kids and put it on the table for the wife to find.

I am safety officer on a range day today, I asked them to change the date but they held fast. I would be happy if no one showed up and I came home early. Then again I have already done my pre-messed up mom's day in the doghouse time.

Happy mothers day to all the mom's out there,

I don't normally post in this thread, so be thankful I am lol, My daughter wanted to get a bunch of flowers for her mom, so we did, also I purchased another lilac tree and some sort of berry tree, so I will be planting them today.

We're going to pick up my mom this morning and take her to brunch. I made her a pumpkin pie to leave with her (her favorite lately), and have a stepstool I got her and a card. So we'll open gifts at her place and then say bye. Little granddaughter's mom and the boyfriend will be over shortly after lunch to visit with her for two hours. And then by 3 they go away. Husband is making ribs tonight and we'll sit out and eat tonight. I made some potato salad yesterday and bought some corn on the cob to go with it.
Trees must be a present thing, Flight. I bought 4 apple trees, a blueberry and 3 blackberries yesterday.

Happy Mother's day to all my cyber mom's.

Lost my mom a couple years ago. Happy mother's day to her in Heaven.

Going to church then to daughters house for mother's day dinner.

Rain is coming down in buckets , will be most of the day.
Sitting on front porch watching the grass grow.

Y'all have a great Mother's day.

Jim

Thanks @Meerkat. I get the kidney stones frequently and have been for the past couple of years. Almost always from my right kidney for some reason. I'd think it was something else if it weren't for the fact that I can feel them move and feel them passing. I don't drink coffee. Never really liked it and can't have caffeine. It doesn't sit well with my stomach anyway.

Yesterday I racked out pretty much the whole day. Got up to get food for mom and she was so engrossed with her computer that her food got cold. Then she had a tizzy and made me put the food back and was mad at me for a few hours. Not sure why, but she was angry that I brought her food even though she'd asked for it. I went back to bed bc I didn't feel like dealing with that bs. My brother apparently got up and fed her. I didn't get up until after 8pm and then went back to sleep again. Woke up around 5 this morning. Trying to get my body moving.

Got a carbon monoxide tester to see if that is what makes everyone in the house sleepy, but thus far it detects 0.

I'm going to try to get my brother to help me do more cleaning today.

We're going to pick up my mom this morning and take her to brunch. I made her a pumpkin pie to leave with her (her favorite lately), and have a stepstool I got her and a card. So we'll open gifts at her place and then say bye. Little granddaughter's mom and the boyfriend will be over shortly after lunch to visit with her for two hours. And then by 3 they go away. Husband is making ribs tonight and we'll sit out and eat tonight. I made some potato salad yesterday and bought some corn on the cob to go with it.
Trees must be a present thing, Flight. I bought 4 apple trees, a blueberry and 3 blackberries yesterday.
You could get your mom belly dancing outfit?According to you I bet she would love it.:DPlus its good exercise for her.

Thanks @Meerkat. I get the kidney stones frequently and have been for the past couple of years. Almost always from my right kidney for some reason. I'd think it was something else if it weren't for the fact that I can feel them move and feel them passing. I don't drink coffee. Never really liked it and can't have caffeine. It doesn't sit well with my stomach anyway.

Yesterday I racked out pretty much the whole day. Got up to get food for mom and she was so engrossed with her computer that her food got cold. Then she had a tizzy and made me put the food back and was mad at me for a few hours. Not sure why, but she was angry that I brought her food even though she'd asked for it. I went back to bed bc I didn't feel like dealing with that bs. My brother apparently got up and fed her. I didn't get up until after 8pm and then went back to sleep again. Woke up around 5 this morning. Trying to get my body moving.

Got a carbon monoxide tester to see if that is what makes everyone in the house sleepy, but thus far it detects 0.

I'm going to try to get my brother to help me do more cleaning today.

Sorry Zanne coffee isn't for everyone or every stone either.

You could get your mom belly dancing outfit?According to you I bet she would love it.:DPlus its good exercise for her.
I took belly dancing lessons at Fort Campbell, Ky when I was stationed there.
But I got pretty good at them by the time to ETS out to next duty station.
There was 10 of us taking the lessons- 7 male, 3 female.

Happy Mother's Day.
Sitting here sipping coffee, looking at the new cookbooks Estelle and her daddy got me.
Been knitting on knitting machine some this morning.
Wish the wind would lay low for awhile.
It's 68* inside my place.
Will have to cook today sometime.
But sipping coffee, eating cheese balls, reading forums at the moment.
And if I was worth a dang could mop floors.
Nah not today.

I took belly dancing lessons at Fort Campbell, Ky when I was stationed there.
But I got pretty good at them by the time to ETS out to next duty station.
There was 10 of us taking the lessons- 7 male, 3 female.

Me too I had the out fit from Fredricks of Hollywood.Thats been gone for a LONG time now and so has my ability! :D .

1620577784276.png

Mom had a good time out at brunch, and she said she liked her footstool. Grandson and my husband replaced a part on the ranger and got it going again...now the twins are out and about driving it. Little granddaughter's mom and the boyfriend are still visiting, and hope they go soon. I've spent a few hours out in the greenhouse transplanting the zucchini, pumpkin, and yellow squash into bigger pots. Might plant outside next weekend. The twins got the holes dug for the new apple trees, so possibly tomorrow I'll get those in the ground. Husband will be barbequing soon...ribs

This afternoon the son came in to celebrate mothers day with his mom. Then we went and picked up a sewing machine that he and his mom wanted. After we got it home we looked up the serial number. It is a 1922 singer model 66 treadle machine, 4 drawer cabinet with a motor and light. So far we have most of the parts including the leather drive belt, I found a broken hinge and it is missing the metal plate that covers the bobbin. Overall it doesn't look too bad, dusty the wood is mostly sound, price was right, just go pick it up....

The nice thing is how light it was, heck 2 people and hardly noticed my back going out... ;)

This afternoon the son came in to celebrate mothers day with his mom. Then we went and picked up a sewing machine that he and his mom wanted. After we got it home we looked up the serial number. It is a 1922 singer model 66 treadle machine, 4 drawer cabinet with a motor and light. So far we have most of the parts including the leather drive belt, I found a broken hinge and it is missing the metal plate that covers the bobbin. Overall it doesn't look too bad, dusty the wood is mostly sound, price was right, just go pick it up....

The nice thing is how light it was, heck 2 people and hardly noticed my back going out... ;)
Those cover plates can be difficult to find - might start looking now. Or, might be able to have a machine shop make one for you. Kinda can't sew without it. Awesome machines though. It will run forever and the manuals and parts diagrams are available online. They have a great stitch and are workhorses. Hope Mrs. UH has a great Mother's Day and loves it :)

Finally got the brussels planted, a few petunias, and reseeded my peanut butter (only a few had sprouted.) Made Hubby a Mock-up moccasin. I found a little different pattern than I made him last time so make a test before cutting into leather. Made a couple adjustments and will do another mock-up (use old work jeans) and assuming all is well, will make him a pair of good leather ones. The last pair I made him were leather, but pretty thin since I didn't have a machine that would stitch thicker stuff. I'm a little excited and a little nervous - don't want to mess it up.
Yesterday, stopped by the folks on the way back from the mountain to give Ma her card, but they were out and about so left it for her. There was an estate sale so stopped in. I got 7 books for $5.50. So far 1 is a dud, not awful but it will go away as soon as I'm finished browsing through it. It's "Grandmother's Kitchen Wisdom" that has things like which cereal has the most sugar and how to use a microwave for certain things rather than an oven :rolleyes: Not exactly what I was expecting from Gma's Kitchen. Oh well. The others look better.

Walked first and walked dogs. I know it is repetitive, but it is worth listing as I am down 14 pounds since March 1st--between my way of eating and walking, that is. I am 12 pounds from my goal! That will be a total loss of 93 pounds! Most of it lost 3 years ago and semi maintained since.

Did laundry.
Made some phone calls.
Dh and his friend went to his doc appointment.
I have relaxed some today!

Walked first and walked dogs. I know it is repetitive, but it is worth listing as I am down 14 pounds since March 1st--between my way of eating and walking, that is. I am 12 pounds from my goal! That will be a total loss of 93 pounds! Most of it lost 3 years ago and semi maintained since.

Did laundry.
Made some phone calls.
Dh and his friend went to his doc appointment.
I have relaxed some today!
That's almost another whole person Snap! Good job! Bet you feel better too which is awesome.

Hubby was up sick half the night. I think he tested the limits of his cast iron stomach. I got him some pedialyte. The first few swallows didn't last, but since about 10AM he's been able to keep it down. Spoke with him just a bit ago and is now just exhausted (of course) so trying to get some sleep finally. So I got to come to work early and will be home later.

Latest posts

Back