What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am....what day is it? What is a day....

I am trying to keep kittens alive. Two are not nursing so I must feed them, against their will, every two hours...I have not slept for more than an hour since....whatever day it was this hell on earth began...

Getting older sucks. When I was in my 20s I would got a few days without sleeping just because I was having too much fun to sleep...now, I'm a zombie.

But although I have no religion, the code I live by demands all possible sacrifice for everything alive under my roof. Which is why my walls are so thick and and windows so small...to minimize how much life get under my roof. I hate taking care of things, but believe I must take care of things, so I do what I can to not have things to take care of. Yet life finds a way.

But so so tired. Its good for me though...Its been a long time since I've had to exist like this, on guard 24 hours a day with only brief naps. Oddly enough, reminds me of better times.

I am trying to keep kittens alive. Two are not nursing so I must feed them, against their will, every two hours...I have not slept for more than an hour since....whatever day it was this hell on earth began...

Getting older sucks. When I was in my 20s I would got a few days without sleeping just because I was having too much fun to sleep...now, I'm a zombie.

But although I have no religion, the code I live by demands all possible sacrifice for everything alive under my roof. Which is why my walls are so thick and and windows so small...to minimize how much life get under my roof. I hate taking care of things, but believe I must take care of things, so I do what I can to not have things to take care of. Yet life finds a way.

But so so tired. Its good for me though...Its been a long time since I've had to exist like this, on guard 24 hours a day with only brief naps. Oddly enough, reminds me of better times.
Oh my. Keep encouraging them to nurse on mama too as long as she has enough milk. Even if they only would some of the time, it would help you. Good luck.

I hope the kittens will pull through. Even if you don't like taking care of things, it is very sweet of you to do it anyway.

Went to HomeDepot to get a curbside pickup order. After 30 min I had to go inside and pick it up in store bc they didn't bother to look at their app for customers using curbside. at least they had the item. I was worried they had misplaced it or sold it to someone else (I got the last one in stock).

Ate at the chinese buffet (my favorite restaurant) and said "Hi" to the owner. He's always very nice and put us at the table Mom requested because she's disabled & it's the closest table to the sushi. He's always very accommodating for Mom when we go in.

Left my wallet at home. It must have fallen out on my bed. I need to find it. I'm probably sitting on it. LOL.

Dropped in to see my friend. He had to cancel coming over to work on plumbing tomorrow bc he has a funeral to attend. A family friend passed away in her sleep. He was also upset because one of his cousins died in a wreck yesterday. Family can't afford a funeral so he doesn't know when she will even get buried.

He rescheduled for Thursday so I hope it stops raining. Mom gave me her wallet and had me go to Walmart to get him some tp and paper towels since he was out and short on $. We use paper towels and tp when we are over there & we like to help out. Mom played with the baby and watched Youtube.

I'm probably going to rack out tomorrow.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

Yesterday the came to visit and give Gramma a gift then played Scrabble. I am going to tweak the rules so we don't have the tedium at the end.

Today was a day of phone calls for this and that then run out for gas and a dentist appt. He fixed my upper but I have to wait for my jaw to heal more after the bone grafts.

So let me subject you to a bad pun.

My sister is just as twisted as myself and brother. She came to my place to take pictures of my gums to add to her collection that started when my father got his teeth pulled and includes my brother when he got his pulled.

All three of us share the same initials' BAR.

I told her put them all together in one picture and name it;

"
All BAR no bite.

"

Ben

I hope the kittens will pull through. Even if you don't like taking care of things, it is very sweet of you to do it anyway.

Its.....call it a professional habit. I'm an EMT and I can't let myself give up on any living thing. Doesn't mean I enjoy it...but....I can't not do it. I spent an hour working on a women who had taken a .45 caliber slug to the head once...this feels about as hopeless, but it will keep doing everything I can as long as they are alive and for 3-4 minutes afterwards.

Sorry. Did I mention I'm generally a pretty depressed person?

Aerindel....you need a teammate to tag with. I've done the same with a litter of kittens. That was 18 yrs ago, then couldn't give up any of the four. As I'm typing this, old man Raisin is the sole survivor, and he is on my lap. The other three did live a long and very spoiled lap.
The barncat, Jayrod, came back around today after being MIA for a few days. He had a big ol tick on him, and little granddaughter pulled it off. Grandson stepped on it and took bloodsplat video. Our older farm neighbor returned from vacation, and I had watered her flower garden while she was gone. She came by for a chat, brought me a nutty buddy for a thank you, and she toured the greenhouse. Our next door amish neighbor came by to get grandson to look after his farm animals while he is gone for a wedding. Half the town is going up north for a wedding that'll be happening Friday. Our next door neighbor's brother is marrying my favorite cousin's granddaughter. Confusing, but everyone is intertwined somehow. So grandson will be looking after his cows, new puppy, chickens, and horse. Went to spend time with my favorite cousin today before she goes up north to the wedding. Also stopped in at the Tractor Supply in the bigger town...prices are high. No deals to be found. Bought a hose, more chick starter (babies hatching Thursday), and a giant metal chick to go with our giant metal rooster.

Aerindel....you need a teammate to tag with. I've done the same with a litter of kittens. That was 18 yrs ago, then couldn't give up any of the four. As I'm typing this, old man Raisin is the sole survivor, and he is on my lap. The other three did live a long and very spoiled lap.
The barncat, Jayrod, came back around today after being MIA for a few days. He had a big ol tick on him, and little granddaughter pulled it off. Grandson stepped on it and took bloodsplat video. Our older farm neighbor returned from vacation, and I had watered her flower garden while she was gone. She came by for a chat, brought me a nutty buddy for a thank you, and she toured the greenhouse. Our next door amish neighbor came by to get grandson to look after his farm animals while he is gone for a wedding. Half the town is going up north for a wedding that'll be happening Friday. Our next door neighbor's brother is marrying my favorite cousin's granddaughter. Confusing, but everyone is intertwined somehow. So grandson will be looking after his cows, new puppy, chickens, and horse. Went to spend time with my favorite cousin today before she goes up north to the wedding. Also stopped in at the Tractor Supply in the bigger town...prices are high. No deals to be found. Bought a hose, more chick starter (babies hatching Thursday), and a giant metal chick to go with our giant metal rooster.
Your giant metal rooster will be happy ;) 😂

The kids want a giant hen. I don't think they make them.
I think you're right. I did a quick google search - that's messed up. I did find this one in Iowa - is that where Spike is?
1620700734832.png

Hey now, that's a hen! Have you seen it Spike? Our giant rooster stands under our windmill in the front right off our porch. And now baby chick. But rooster is only about 6 feet tall. We put rocks on his feet so he doesn't blow over.
A neighbor up the river has one of those.

Walked first--before rain--except it started in the middle of walk. Paid water bill on the walk, so that is done.
Got out bug out bag and emptied it into another bag as it will be my suitcase in less than 2 weeks.
Tried on all jeans in closet and they all fit. Decided which ones to take with me.
Thawed a meatloaf yesterday and will bake it today.
It's another rainy day so not doing too much.

Many years ago someone found a young kitten on a sidewalk and couldn't find the mother. We took it and the vet thought it was about 3 weeks old. Daughter and I raised that kitten. There is nothing like the original mother for any animal though. We bought milk replacement and used a special bottle for a bit, then milk in a dish with a little soft food. Kitten was all white and went to school with me. Students called it "Itty Bitty Kitty," and the experience was good. She eventually had one kitten.

Have walked several times today.
Dishes are done.
Bathroom is deep cleaned.
Clean towels are out.
All three potty chairs are deep cleaned: doll potty, Mickey Mouse potty and miniature size regular toilet all deep cleaned.
Everything got a good bleaching.
Sometimes you got more than one little girl that's got to go at the same time.
Bed linens were changed, bed remade.
Have cooked a pot of 15 bean soup bean which will get made into chili sometime.
Or the they will get water bath canned in pint jars for meals later like when I'm quilting.
Sipping coffee.

Its.....call it a professional habit. I'm an EMT and I can't let myself give up on any living thing.
Sorry. Did I mention I'm generally a pretty depressed person?

As a young man I was a welder, built trains, boring as heck. My roommate was a paramedic. Because his stories were so interesting I went to night school and got my emt certification, continued on to paramedic training while still welding. One night while on evening shift I was on the way home after midnight. There had been a bad single car accident near my house. A 16yr old girl, bad curve, huge oak tree, Volkswagen. I stopped to help, moments later my roommate arrived. I helped get the girl out of the car and into the ambulance. I was instructed to hold her head… she’d gotten a face full of windshield, bleeding horribly, that didn’t bother me. When she died, that bothered me greatly. That night I decided it wasn’t a job for me, seeing that every day, nope. She was just a kid! I never went back to class.

A quiet day here, raining out... supposed to be storming tonight, guess I'll be up 'til the wee hours.

The Princess and were invited to a dinner with Ron Desantis attending. The Princess is a social animal while I am not. So agreed to go to indulge her. She of course ruled dress bib overalls. Since closet is currently a construction zone I had go digging through the totes she packed all of my work clothes in... on the bottom of the pile. Whoda thought I had a 50 lbs tote of bibs? I find what I needed and it still fit!

After her approval I was able move outside and tend to the apple trees in the backyard nursery.

20210511_171156.jpg

9 of the 10 had survived Bambi and had grown enough that the label were starting to throttle the trunks. So they all got metal labels and tubes around the trunk to keep critters from stripping the bark. The 6' frame around the trees got some deer netting so.... maybe good for this year?

After clean up The Princess walked into the kitchen and said "You are putting trees in the refrigerator?" when I was stashing some cuttings that came off the trees. I have never attempted to do any grafting and I might as well start.

Tomorrow I will be putting up fences around the elder and persimmons since they look like they will explode this year. Then I may explore the world of grafting.

Ben

As a young man I was a welder, built trains, boring as heck. My roommate was a paramedic. Because his stories were so interesting I went to night school and got my emt certification, continued on to paramedic training while still welding. One night while on evening shift I was on the way home after midnight. There had been a bad single car accident near my house. A 16yr old girl, bad curve, huge oak tree, Volkswagen. I stopped to help, moments later my roommate arrived. I helped get the girl out of the car and into the ambulance. I was instructed to hold her head… she’d gotten a face full of windshield, bleeding horribly, that didn’t bother me. When she died, that bothered me greatly. That night I decided it wasn’t a job for me, seeing that every day, nope. She was just a kid! I never went back to class.

A quiet day here, raining out... supposed to be storming tonight, guess I'll be up 'til the wee hours.

Thats terrible Peanut. Don't blame you for not wanting a career in it.

The Princess and were invited to a dinner with Ron Desantis attending. The Princess is a social animal while I am not. So agreed to go to indulge her. She of course ruled dress bib overalls. Since closet is currently a construction zone I had go digging through the totes she packed all of my work clothes in... on the bottom of the pile. Whoda thought I had a 50 lbs tote of bibs? I find what I needed and it still fit!

After her approval I was able move outside and tend to the apple trees in the backyard nursery.

View attachment 66254

9 of the 10 had survived Bambi and had grown enough that the label were starting to throttle the trunks. So they all got metal labels and tubes around the trunk to keep critters from stripping the bark. The 6' frame around the trees got some deer netting so.... maybe good for this year?

After clean up The Princess walked into the kitchen and said "You are putting trees in the refrigerator?" when I was stashing some cuttings that came off the trees. I have never attempted to do any grafting and I might as well start.

Tomorrow I will be putting up fences around the elder and persimmons since they look like they will explode this year. Then I may explore the world of grafting.

Ben

What are the bibs for Ben?

Latest posts

Back