What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a guy coming at 10am to pickup my Sears and Roebuck jointer. SOLD
Yep gonna be selling lots of stuff. Getting slowly ready to downsize.
MIght hookup bush hog today.

May go get more measurements at the farmhouse for kitchen cabinets.

Would go for fish dinner at 4:30.

Got a little rain last night Very humid.

Jim

You can send me the brush hog!😇. I've been looking for a good used one.

Do you have other woodworking tools you are gonna sell?

Yep,
Disc sander, orbital sander.
Mortising machine, scroll saw, Craftsman radial arm saw,
Craftsman (cast iron) table saw, wood lathe ( maybe), table router, many hand power tools.

I just don't do the woodworking anymore.

Jim

Yep,
Disc sander, orbital sander.
Mortising machine, scroll saw, Craftsman radial arm saw,
Craftsman (cast iron) table saw, wood lathe ( maybe), table router, many hand power tools.
I just don't do the woodworking anymore.
Jim
Thank you for noting these items. I am sure I have at least ...all of them. :) At least my sons can use them. Sorry for your having to downsize so much.
I'm working on trying to feel better, going to doc later, and trying to figure out the auto insurance as I add another vehicle. PITA

Wrote lesson plans for Roo's first 2 weeks of school. Juju's are more open and go compared to Roo's. Kindergarten verses 5th grade.

I am also still cleaning the school room. I might end up just taking everything out and going through it while the girls are in school. That way I can stand over Roo and keep her on task.

Pizza and movie night tonight. Dough is in the fridge proofing. Not sure what movie yet. Maybe Superman. Yes, the Christopher Reeves one. Man of Steel stinks in my opinion.

Moving more LTFS to the master bedroom to be stored up there.

When it comes to cars, body work, trim, paint etc... I’m worthless but the wiring is right up my alley. Today I spent time downloading and studying wiring schematics fro my ‘02 Silvarado. I have to replace the factory radio in my truck. It’s an overly complicated factory harness, there is even a factory amplifier hidden somewhere in the dash.

I bought a new radio in June, along with new mounting brackets, antenna adaptor etc. I thought I had bought the right parts. I even talked to the best chevy guy in town, he said he’d install everything for $100, beats me having to do it. I didn’t know how to take the dash apart anyway.

I took him everything I bought to see if there were going to be issues. He basically said he wouldn’t know if I bought the right parts until he pulled out the old radio. He then put me off 6 weeks before he could do the job. I only had a 30 day window to return any parts I bought.

Yesterday I was at the chevy shop at 8am. By nine I learned 1) I bought the wrong radio and mounting brackets. 2) He couldn’t tell me which ones I should buy. So now I’m stuck with a new radio I can no longer return but won’t fit my truck.

After I left his shop I stopped at an auto parts store hoping someone could explain exactly which parts I need to make everything work. They couldn’t help me. In the store was another customer, a young guy with a really nice truck that was heavily modified. He told me about an old fashioned automotive audio/electronics store in Mississippi that had done work for him several times. I didn’t want to drive 100 miles one way but I didn’t want to waste anymore cash on the wrong parts either.

So… I drove to MS yesterday. The young guy was right… it was an old fashioned automotive audio store. I haven't seen one of these in decades. The guy at the store even had the wiring schematics for my truck and knew every detail about changing out my radio.

And I had to buy another radio, at least this one fits my truck… along with the proper mounting kit, hardware and harness.

I saw how the chevy guy took apart my dash and put it back together, a lot easier than I thought it'd be. Now that I have the right radio I watched some videos last night of how to tap into the wiring harness.

So, I guess I’m putting in a new radio, figure to start late this evening when it cools off.

I am removing some cracked double paned windows in the old school. Some dufus glued them in. Smacking 26 year old thick tempered glass with a hammer and then trying to pry out the glued edges is a real pain in the posterior. Whatever they used, even the heat gun won't soften enough.

Two down three to go.

We had a horrible time with our old 100 yr old windows. Wouldn't open, some were broken. No air or heat, so upstairs was unusable. Was so glad to get new windows in.
My favorite cousin just called and said her granddaughter has the same bug I do. Guess it's going around. She's on the couch with a fever, aches, and vomiting. Yep. I'm on day three still. Maybe tomorrow.

Today I hauled a truck load of stuff to the dump, all junk... got home and realized with a little work I could have another load ready next week.....
I removed some cracking swayback plastic shelves that were holding canning supplies and replaced them with wire shelves, now I need to organize them.

Hit the garden with a fertilizer mix using the injector that I made for use with my water barrel pump, the injector can hold 2 full gallons and that gets diluted in the pump about 25 to 1.... The final blend came out to about 1 oz of concentrate to 3 gallons of water.

The weather is expected to be cooler (low 80s) tomorrow, so I am hoping to get a lot of work done in the garden...

My brother's next job got delayed so we teamed to clean up downed trees so he can get the lawn tractor into areas that have gone wild again. We did get a "what you doing in my pantry look when we got in.

20210730_141737.jpg

My brother ran the chain saw while stacked the logs. Some of the work was where the coal seam comes to the surface.

20210730_144638.jpg

Not long into the work is discovered the wasps didn't like where I was stacking to logs.

20210730_145823.jpg

They got the back of my legs pretty good. It was easy to decide to stack elsewhere. During a break while my brother was changing out the chain I walked up to the orchard area to see how the fruit trees are doing.

Most of the pear trees have a good load fruit.

20210730_154125.jpg

Only the old apple tree had fruit.

20210730_154314.jpg

Later on the siren went off and my brother ran off on a fire call. That gave me time to wonder off into the wooded north end to see if I could any of that patch I had started some years ago.

20210730_163619.jpg

20210730_163630.jpg

20210730_164137.jpg

It normally has red berries but all of them have dropped but I find one that was still green.

20210730_164357.jpg

I will let readers ID that plant.

As if that wasn't enough fun for one day.

20210730_180013.jpg

The water meter for the rental property went out. The french drains we put in handled it.

So now it is time to watch a sunset.

Ben

Dademoss, those kittens are so cute! I wish I could take them home.

Today I called another dentist to see if I could get my broken tooth looked at. They asked if I could be there in half an hour. I said "no- it's over an hour away". So they scheduled me for noon. Got stuck behind some ninny who stopped at a green light to chat with a pedestrian. I had to honk to get her to move. Then there was some a-hole going 20 miles under speed limit. Made it there just in time.

Good news: My tooth looks like it can be fixed. My doctor sent over my relevant medical records & said I'm permitted to get work done so long as I take antibiotics right before due to my mitral valve prolapse. Dr. Honey (the dentist-- who happens to be very sweet) sent me to a pharmacy where I could get the scrip filled for free.

Bad news: I have to wait until the 17th & hope the tooth doesn't break off more until then AND it's going to be over $700 for the cleaning, repair, and 2 fillings.

But, that is still sooner than when the local dentist could even assess the tooth. Monday I need to call to cancel the other dental appointment as I can get in to Dr. Honey first. I will have to see about what I need to do to stop my teeth from breaking. I wonder if I'm not getting enough calcium or something. Brushing with the enamel repair stuff hasn't been working.

Ended up bush hogging around the chicken pen and elderberry bushes... a pin came out of the left arm of the 3 point hitch... drive shaft came apart. I was just glad I'd slowed down to turn or else serious damage might have occurred.

Still to hot to work on my truck at 9pm. I soaked everything I was wearing in less than an hour just running the tractor.

I am so freaking HAPPY I no longer own the following items -
Stick blender.
Nylon spatula.
Expensive canine ear infection medication.
A cannister of salt.
A bottle of cooking oil.
A box of rice flour.
A medium sized pet door that WAS in my screen door.

I am BEYOND grateful to have a very large pitbull land in the middle of my chest and pee with delight over my person, my bedding and bed at approx. 3 in the morning.
Those claw marks over my stomach and lower body are merely tangible sign of how much I'm loved.

BOY!!!!!!
HOW FREAKING LUCKY CAN ONE HUMAN BE?

Last edited:
Made a big run to Costco to resupply house and bol after our recent trip. Ordered my next pallet of compressed pellet logs, used our 1/2 off coupon. A pallet is a full ton and I already have 2 that I got the same way. Mixes with my firewood, burns clean, less mess, and nice hot fires. Nice 38 mile bike ride today, took out a large load of rotted wood and then started loading truck to pick up boat in the morning for a week long stay at our bol with the grandkids.

Had a 9am class today. Got some grapefruit and sweet potatoes. I was planning on going to the pharmacy but the one near work is closed (for some reason... I've never seen it closed), so that'll wait until Monday, probably.

There is a MONSTER traffic jam on the express way (the only one we have) and people have been stuck on there for hours. I was supposed to go on the other side of town for my cousin's engagement party but that's not happening. My parents have been stuck since 10 and they didn't even make it halfway.
So I'll stay home today, continue watching The Mentalist and do my periodical checking in on my plants, for no reason other than I like to look at them 😁

We had a horrible time with our old 100 yr old windows. Wouldn't open, some were broken. No air or heat, so upstairs was unusable. Was so glad to get new windows in.
My favorite cousin just called and said her granddaughter has the same bug I do. Guess it's going around. She's on the couch with a fever, aches, and vomiting. Yep. I'm on day three still. Maybe tomorrow.
Ugh. People have talked about the fact that other illnesses are down since COVID. Someone's wife is a doctor and they both had pretty serious colds/flu in the midst of the throws of the pandemic. I hope you are better soon. Three days is not a typical flu.

Penned cows and sorted them yesterday. Trailer got here at 9:30 and loaded the 5 calves and 1 heifer to take to sale. Only charged me 100.00 to haul them. Sale is today. Will pick up check tomorrow. My ipad died and I guess I will have to buy another. I have so many books on it and now can't save to cloud. Going to get things from my 90 year old mom to store. She is moving to a retirement home soon. Stopping to see his mom in nursing home on way back from big city. Will be a long day. Too hot to do anything this week. Covid has reared up here and one church closed. Brother in law and his wife as well as my daughter and 3 of her kids have in. Not sure what schools will do in a few weeks.n My sinuses are draining like crazy as well as runny nose which I never have!

Got a hot prospect coming at 11am to tour the place...they know my place well , they live just down the road and have always wanted it...maybe not when I throw them a price.

Will get some more bush hogging done later , after lunch.

Spent all morning spiffing up the house. Even missed Tombstone Territory.😠

Pizza for lunch today.

Jim

Latest posts

Back