What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back my son's place to work on the electric problem. We thought we had it down to a bad cable run so we ran a temporary line to test the theory. It fixed some but other stuff failed. Seems there is a junction box somewhere that we have yet to find.

I will be returning a week from Monday for more fun.

Now spending time on the porch with The Princess.

Ben

Today went well until... The wife's IV machine went nuts... the IV bag was not sealed properly and air got in so the pump stopped, the IV wasn't running so the blood at the end of the IV clotted - clogging the line. Yep, it degraded into a first rate cluster... still not fully resolved, but we made some progress.

I was putting away food storage, did you know that a 6 month supply of instant oatmeal takes up a lot off room... :)

Update, we were able to draw the blood clot out of the IV line and get the whole system cleaned and fully operational. The nurse that came over to help, removed a clot the size of a #11 BP Cap, then drew some more blood, flush with saline and Heparin to stop any further clotting. We are back up to 100% and only lost 4 hours out of the day.... Much better than have to put her back in the hospital....

Last edited:
Sold the farm today after a 3 hour tour and meeting .
Cash and asking price.
Gotta be out by October 30th.

We are excited but scared also , trying to figure out how we're gonna move that quick.
Thinking about renting a storage trailer for non necessities.

😲😲😲😎😎😁😁

Jim
That's good news!

Thank God.!

So you JUST have to downsize.

"JUST is a four letter word .

Ben

Prayers going up for all those having health problems right now. Hope everything tuns for you quickly.

Great news Jim. Will be a lot to do in the next 3 months. One thing to maybe consider is renting one of the POD containers, or more if needed. THey will drop them right where you want, pick it up when packed and drop it at your new place. IIRC they will rent them as long as you need it.
I'm not real close by, but give me a yell if I can help.

Prayers going up for all those having health problems right now. Hope everything tuns for you quickly.

Great news Jim. Will be a lot to do in the next 3 months. One thing to maybe consider is renting one of the POD containers, or more if needed. THey will drop them right where you want, pick it up when packed and drop it at your new place. IIRC they will rent them as long as you need it.
I'm not real close by, but give me a yell if I can help.
Thanks , appreciate it.
We have discussed renting a Conex trailer to store stuff.
But, if we can get the deed signed over to us next week, there's a 26x36 empty shop there that we can put a lot of stuff in until we get the house ready.

There's so much to think about and get done. Lawyer meeting Monday ,we hope, with our buyer.

Jim

We did the pod thing because there wasn't any other way. It was just me and grandkids packing and couldn't get rid of stuff because of covid last year. So...six pods later. I'm still unboxing and it's been a year, but oh well. We did downsize, just had to bring the stuff. Glad you sold it though, Jim. I hope your new place is somewhere you'll love.

Glad for you Jim! I know it'll be hard, just keep your mind on all the things that need doing.

Did some bush hogging this evening. Went out an hour before dark and finished up around the chicken pen.

Then I went over to a spot in the pasture and did a little more. I don't like bush hogging after dark but there was so much to do. I stopped an hour after dark, just too hard to see what I was doing with headlights. Danger level goes way up.

This morning I got up early to run some last minute errands that the wife came up with last night... I figured if I get the errands run and am back in the house before sunrise that it's not breaking the Sabbath :) When I walked outside I was greeted by a soft rain, hey no watering this morning!

Because it's Sunday the day is pretty fixed, have church in the morning, call the kids in the afternoon, and get ready for the work week in the evening....

I may sneak down and do a little work in the food storage area, I am still trying to finish reorganizing it... I wonder if other folks spend time thinking about how to group their foods into a logical order? Sugar's here - oils there - ..... As I have been working on the food storage I have found where people (My Kids) have "helped me" by putting things up.... Who puts/hides pickles behind pasta?, I guess it's a "P" thing....

I spend a good amount of time in food storage areas. Since I've been down and the garden has not been down, grandson got a lesson in emptying food dehydrators and chopping veg properly to refill them. Then he started looking around that room, and said, wow. My storage is by no means picture perfect, but it looks grocery store ish and things aren't terribly hard to find.

The boy and I have been up on The James river for the last couple of days camping and floating. The wife got lonesome and came over for a visit.

james1.jpg
james2.jpg
james3.jpg
james4.jpg
james5.jpg
james6.jpg
een up on the James river for a couple of days camping and floating.

August 1, 2021

I got a call at 7:30am this morning, a water main broke under the Charlotte Main Hospital’s emergency entrance side walk & could I help. “Don’t temp me with a good time. I’ll be there in 15.”
29D39A59-2FDF-4399-9190-27AA7CDF8A36.jpeg

Our concrete scanner was there. Our concrete cutter was there. All the GPR showed was a void of water under the concrete.

F579D6F0-A9BB-44B2-BA38-34258AABA3DB.jpeg

What a void it was. I helped cut & remove a concrete section of the side walk. I baptized myself head underwater to feel the broken 6” ductile pipe 40 Inches down.

That water felt good

F861EA49-B0E5-4A19-BBEE-C9C131E4D42B.jpeg

Now I’m eating a delicious Panera chicken avocado breakfast burrito waiting for the hospital to make the necessary preparations to have the water turned off to the largest emergency department in Charlotte.

Happy Sunday! 🤓

I got to kick 2,000 people out of their million dollar lakes homes infront of a fire.....now I am back home taking a short break, before kicking more people out of their homes a few miles from mine.....gotta love fire season.

Made a double batch of laundry detergent this morning. This should last until January. I need to re-inventory the supplies so I can fill those gaps. I have had to adjust the recipe because some of the ingredients are harder to find now. The scent crystals are only at Walmart and I can't order them online. Arm & Hammer makes a limited ingredient version but costs more for less. I will test it out but I may end up leaving those out once I run out of stock.

Got Roo to clean 3 litter boxes after breakfast. She wants another kitten so I figure she can take over caring for our current cats. Cleaning 6 litter boxes will cure the desire for a new kitten fast! She wants a puppy too so she scoops the dog poop every day as well. She whines and complains so I told her she can't get a puppy or kitten until she does it without complaining. Like that will happen!

I got Juju's first two weeks of school planned out. Her kindergarten lessons are more open and go at her pace. Roo's starting 5th grade. She will be in middle school before I know it!

K is helping Roo edit her Texas state report. I can't do it because I will be more critical of her writing. Not to mention I helped her research it. I plan to have her take the naturalization test to graduate high school. Now is the time to beef up her knowledge of our nation and its history.

Sold the farm today after a 3 hour tour and meeting .
Cash and asking price.
Gotta be out by October 30th.

We are excited but scared also , trying to figure out how we're gonna move that quick.
Thinking about renting a storage trailer for non necessities.

😲😲😲😎😎😁😁

Jim
Will you have a sale and let things go away with the help of others?

Made a double batch of laundry detergent this morning. This should last until January. I need to re-inventory the supplies so I can fill those gaps. I have had to adjust the recipe because some of the ingredients are harder to find now. The scent crystals are only at Walmart and I can't order them online. Arm & Hammer makes a limited ingredient version but costs more for less. I will test it out but I may end up leaving those out once I run out of stock.

Got Roo to clean 3 litter boxes after breakfast. She wants another kitten so I figure she can take over caring for our current cats. Cleaning 6 litter boxes will cure the desire for a new kitten fast! She wants a puppy too so she scoops the dog poop every day as well. She whines and complains so I told her she can't get a puppy or kitten until she does it without complaining. Like that will happen!

I got Juju's first two weeks of school planned out. Her kindergarten lessons are more open and go at her pace. Roo's starting 5th grade. She will be in middle school before I know it!

K is helping Roo edit her Texas state report. I can't do it because I will be more critical of her writing. Not to mention I helped her research it. I plan to have her take the naturalization test to graduate high school. Now is the time to beef up her knowledge of our nation and its history.

If you are looking for calcium bicarbonate look at the feed store. It's put in feed rations at feedlots as a buffer because feeding cattle large amounts of corn gives them a belly ache.

Well shop time. Need an obsolete part for my big band saw. So I will make it. Made parts and rebuilt my Grizzly 12" variable speed band saw a while back. No one makes a variable speed one anymore. It really comes in handy for furniture crafting.

Last night The Princess fixed me wonderful steak and out did herself with the onion soup. What made that extra special was it was the first time I had steak in 3 months when I had all my teeth pulled. It was great!

The girls came to visit and we toured the yard and sampled fruit. The red grapes are coming ripe and were well recieved. The apples are almost ready but could use more time. Additional there raspberries and blue berries.

Good day overall.

Ben

Yesterday I replaced the front breaks and rear shocks on the GF's daughters car. Easier than I thought, except one bolt on the front calipers needed an extractor to remove it from its super tight location, so I had to by a new set of bolts after I mangled the head.
Today, Made room in the RV garage for the toyhauler and parked it in inside. Left room to move around it so I can access the work bench and still use the table saw and chop saw. Took trash to the dump. Took a break. BBQ'd chicken thighs for dinner. Waiting for the GF to get home from her trip in a few hours.
Tomorrow, drywall. Still need to finalize a shopping list for the last items I need to buy to finish the house to pass final inspection.

First day out of bed since last Wednesday. Was able to sit on a stool in the kitchen and process a bunch of sweet corn for the freezer, and snap 4 gallons of green beans and got them ready for the freezer. Filled one dehydrator with tomatoes, the other with squash. Managed a dinner for everyone, just couldn't eat it myself, but they were happy to not have take out again. I hope to make it to the post office tomorrow. And the twins start band camp, so I'm on pickup duty in the afternoon. Think the antibiotic is working. Favorite cousin was sad we didn't make it to family dinner night, but we'll visit in a few days. I'm sick of people calling me asking if I have covid. Geesh.

Dademoss, those kittens are so cute! I wish I could take them home.

Today I called another dentist to see if I could get my broken tooth looked at. They asked if I could be there in half an hour. I said "no- it's over an hour away". So they scheduled me for noon. Got stuck behind some ninny who stopped at a green light to chat with a pedestrian. I had to honk to get her to move. Then there was some a-hole going 20 miles under speed limit. Made it there just in time.

Good news: My tooth looks like it can be fixed. My doctor sent over my relevant medical records & said I'm permitted to get work done so long as I take antibiotics right before due to my mitral valve prolapse. Dr. Honey (the dentist-- who happens to be very sweet) sent me to a pharmacy where I could get the scrip filled for free.

Bad news: I have to wait until the 17th & hope the tooth doesn't break off more until then AND it's going to be over $700 for the cleaning, repair, and 2 fillings.

But, that is still sooner than when the local dentist could even assess the tooth. Monday I need to call to cancel the other dental appointment as I can get in to Dr. Honey first. I will have to see about what I need to do to stop my teeth from breaking. I wonder if I'm not getting enough calcium or something. Brushing with the enamel repair stuff hasn't been working.
Glad you're able to get it fixed. Can't think of a much worse condition to have in a grid down situation than a broken tooth. I'm a fanatic about brushing. Good luck.

Some fun news: one of the items on my "watch for" list has been a cider press for less than an arm and a leg. (I've only seen them for $500-$1000.) I found one this weekend. It's not as old as some I've seen, but is functional. I am in the process of cleaning and conditioning it - should have that done long before apple harvest arrives :)

Latest posts

Back