What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on a roll this morning.

Mechanic had a last minute cancelation so he was able to move my car appointment up by a week.
Called the bank for an appointment. Local branch is booked for a week but the main office has an opening tomorrow...perfect!
Called my Barber to reschedule...no problem.
Help the wife move some flowers around and planted some more before the heat of the day. She's happy.

I"m on a roll. !!!!!!!!!!!! Might be a good time to buy my first ever lottery ticket!

RV has some minor fiberglass damage. Found a "local" RV repair shop with high reviews. While life is going good I might as well take the RV to the repair shop for an estimate. Went to unplug shore power, it's already unplugged. I'm sure I plugged it in. I look down at the ground to find the power cord. I find pieces of shredded 12 VDC wiring laying on the ground. From the teeth marks, I'm guessing one of the stray cats the wife supports, used the RV as a hiding place from a neighbor's dog. Dog destroyed the wiring trying to get to the cat. Wiring damage is at the rear of the RV above the black and gray tanks dump valves. While I'm at the RV repair shop I'll ask for a wiring estimate too. RV engine easily turns over but the engine doesn't fire. Everything looks good under the hood, try starting the engine again. Nope. Guessing damaged/missing wiring has shorted, blown fuse, or the engine CPU isn't seeing something which prevents the engine from starting.

Sure glad I didn't waste money on a lottery ticket.

Finally got the old cast-iron claw foot tub out of the hallway, down the winding staircase, and out to the back yard, with the help of 4 strong rugby players. No damage to the house. It was heavy and awkward and they did an awesome job. They got a great dinner of Mexican food and margaritas for their help. The tub has been a bottle neck for far too long, having been taken out when I put down ceramic tile in the bathroom, and no one to help put it back or take it out. Daughter thinks a new style tub should go in, but since I shower, not bathe, I may never have that done. Now, what to do with the tub? Sell it, give it away, make a water garden, or fill it with soil and plant in it?

New washer and dryer are scheduled to be delivered and installed tomorrow. They will take them up the winding staircase, down the hallway and into the bathroom/laundry area, past where the tub created too small of a space for the washer and dryer to go by. They are supposed to take the old ones out, part of what I paid for.

Last edited:
I bet your glad it's moved! I'd use it for a planter, unless you want to sell it. Some people do pay $$ for antique tubs.
Picked tomatoes and peppers this morning. Doc office called and cancelled my appt since I had that rapid test. Oh well. I feel pretty much on the mend anyway.
So glad! So relieved! I am thinking a planter as well. A fishpond was already suggested to me. Kind of small for that.
There have been a couple people in my area getting rid of their claw foot tubs. One was trying to sell one (buyer removes it), another said it was free to anyone who took it out. Not the kind of thing you want some random person to try to get out and take out a brick wall in the process.

Picking up my glasses this afternoon. I have always liked the way I look in glasses but I am just hoping these are the correct prescription.

Voting in the recall election tomorrow. I am taking my completed mail-in ballot to the polling location. It seems if you did not mail in your ballot they are claiming you already voted by mail. So I figure I can throw it in their faces that I am using the mail-in to vote in person! The steal is on!

On our way home tomorrow I am going to look at a rex buck. The breeder does have a doe but it is the buck's sister and someone else is interested in her. If she is still there when we go I might take her instead.

Finally got the old cast-iron claw foot tub out of the hallway, down the winding staircase, and out to the back yard, with the help of 4 strong rugby players. No damage to the house. It was heavy and awkward and they did an awesome job. They got a great dinner of Mexican food and margaritas for their help. The tub has been a bottle neck for far too long, having been taken out when I put down ceramic tile in the bathroom, and no one to help put it back or take it out. Daughter thinks a new style tub should go in, but since I shower, not bathe, I may never have that done. Now, what to do with the tub? Sell it, give it away, make a water garden, or fill it with soil and plant in it?

New washer and dryer are scheduled to be delivered and installed tomorrow. They will take them up the winding staircase, down the hallway and into the bathroom/laundry area, past where the tub created too small of a space for the washer and dryer to go by. They are supposed to take the old ones out, part of what I paid for.
:oops:o_O Oooohh Nooooo! I would take it in a heartbeat. The cheapest one I have found here was $400! I miss our clawfoot tub. Even Hubby who doesn't like baths misses it when he's sore and wants to soak. Might try selling it first and see what happens.

I had a dream...

So i had to investigate if the pipe that clear running up hill was THE pipe. Turns out no. There is another pipe.

20210913_141200_HDR.jpg

And it was full of debris.

Bummer.

So I spent the day hydro snaking that line. This is getting a bit old. I will be at it again tomorrow. We have rain scheduled for Wednesday and I would to finish before then.

Keeping at it...

Ben

I got up early & had my brother help me carry Itsy in to the vet. Stopped and picked up my friend's kitty Nightmeow. Poor little Nightmeow had his ruptured eyeball scrubbed it it clearly hurt. I wish this vet would use some sort of numbing on it. I later was told that the night before the kitten's mother got territorial over food and had hooked her claws directly in to the dead eyeball and wouldn't let go. They had to grab her and pull her claws out of him. He had to get another antibiotic shot and more eye cream. Despite the ordeal he was very cuddly and happy to be out of there. He purred the whole way back to my friend's house and curled up on me for a nap for about 30min. I had to leave Itsy over lunchtime because they said they needed to sedate her to lance her chin to see if it was pus or tumor. Fortunately it was an abscess and not cancer. She was also very happy to be brought home. Pupil's were still dilated and she was unsteady, but she tried with all her might to steal my food. She was also trying to open the treat container. She knows the cap spins and tries to spin it but can't grip it properly. So I gave her some treats and then she wanted to go use the litterbox. She's now sleeping in the hallway.

I got to hold Scarpo (the bearded dragon) and he liked me. Beautiful creature. I wish I'd gotten a picture. He liked my brother too. He really likes to be petted (gently of course).

Got an e-mail that mom's laptop order was canceled due to some red flag in the system. It said from merchant card but when I talked to them I was told it was because of the IP address. Not sure how that matters. My IP does change because I'm on satellite. They said they couldn't put through a different form of payment or do anything to get it processed and only thing I could do would be to try ordering it again. But the special sale wasn't still on so it would be $50 more. Mom had a bit of a fit about that so we will wait and see if the system or a better one goes on sale again in the future for a lower price.

I had a dream...

So i had to investigate if the pipe that clear running up hill was THE pipe. Turns out no. There is another pipe.

View attachment 72268

And it was full of debris.

Bummer.

So I spent the day hydro snaking that line. This is getting a bit old. I will be at it again tomorrow. We have rain scheduled for Wednesday and I would to finish before then.

Keeping at it...

Ben
How's it go? "A flush beats a full house" 😜

The dog training went well today. Just woke up from a nap and now I'm trying to decide on dinner. Go pick it up and loose my parking spot or sell the kid (well, maybe just an arm or leg) so I can order in and pay for delivery.
How much is that parking spot worth?

Ben

How much is that parking spot worth?

Ben

A fortune come check out time when I have to haul all this stuff back outside. There's my bag, the medicine bag, the kids 2 bags, the dogs 2 bags, pillows, blankets..... Door dash it is! Now, what do I want to eat.....

A fortune come check out time when I have to haul all this stuff back outside. There's my bag, the medicine bag, the kids 2 bags, the dogs 2 bags, pillows, blankets..... Door dash it is! Now, what do I want to eat.....
Isn't there something close so you could call in an order and walk to pick it up?

Isn't there something close so you could call in an order and walk to pick it up?

Yes but my allergies are acting up and my asthma has a good chance of making me keel over before I got there. It's ok though, this is our 6th stay and while I was taking the kids dog out for a potty break the manager said she was running to subway and asked if I'd like something. The kid has roasted chicken and the veggies (can't have the bread) and I have a ham sandwich.

Finally got my truck and trailer unloaded. I also got all the chicken poo out of the horse trailer (started the meat chick's in it) and got it hosed out. I finished picking the bones from the chicken stock making and ended up with 5 gallons of really good stock and about a gallon of shredded meat. I have just over 110 lbs of parted up chicken vacuum packed and in the freezer.. Only two more rounds to go.

Yesterday. walked and walked dogs.
Shell station to fill up for before incoming storm (mostly rain, I think). Walmart for a couple of items and people were buying and acting crazy. No vegetables in frozen section of any brand except a couple of bags of peas and mix veggies. That was about 4 freezer doors with nothing, Frozen french fries and potatoes was the same. I got the last box of lids in the store but they did have jars. Milk and chocolate milk section was almost completely empty. Went to Dollar Tree and their whole freezer section was down. I did get some glow sticks for emergencies.
Came home and shoveled leaves out of drains in front of house (and neighbor's) to minimize flooding.
Today, I have laundry going.
Will do video, shortly.
Cut cheese for dog treats.
Take eBay photos later.
Maybe work on the bedroom closet that I keep putting off. Maybe not.

New washer and dryer have been delivered. Old dryer has been taken away. The turn off valves for the washer need to be replaced before it can be hooked up and the old one removed. The electrical outlet for the dryer needs to be replaced for the new kind of plugs that are being used. Good thing my bathroom/laundry room is as large as it is!

Went shooting this am with a buddy. Just a place off the beaten path. Did some long range sighting in with the rifles and then some close-quarter drills with handguns. Fun stuff. Went to a little dive bar with 'the best burgers in the county' had some good grub and a couple beers. I could get used to this retirement thing......

We heard from the electrician that will be moving the service entrance at the remodel house. That is good. That will open the way for us to wire up the installed outlets. But before I can get back to that place I will have to get some maint work done on the rental house. The Princess will be taking possession of the upright freezer that is there. That will bring her up t 5 total freezers.

First order of business for today was to do my best to prepare for a rain day tomorrow. That involved increasing the depth of the trench so the storm water run off can make it's way to the street.

20210914_173207_HDR.jpg

That went as planned until I got down to where the old sidewalk was located. I am going to have decide if I will jack hammer out the concrete walk or move the trench to the left about 8 inches. I will consider the options.

Did more hydro snaking and mad some progress. It looks like I will have to take out a shrub that was planted to screen the air conditioner.

After reporting to The Princess she said "This is turning into quite the project!"

It occurred to me as I was working that I will be reminded about Ida everytime I watch The Music Man

"Ida rose up out of the sea..."

;)

Ben

Plumber was here and told me the shut off valves for the washer were fine, no need to replace them. Glad there was no charge for that! He finished the install of the washer. And he fixed the toilet which needed new parts in the tank. So glad I had those parts. Maybe a spare set would be a good idea for the future in case they are no longer available. Since I had turned off the water to the house, he didn't have to replace the turnoff valve to fix the toilet. He said no charge, but since it was not on the ticket, I gave him a tip via Venmo. He didn't need to do what he did, but he did.

Yay! Working toilet in the powder room and a working washing machine!

Still trying to figure out about an electrician. Waiting for responses. Then I can get the dryer working. In the meantime, I can hang some things to dry, but prefer to dry most in the dryer.

Y'all need a laugh?
Where we live, there is a significant number of people with lisps & speech impediments. Many are kind intelligent folks, just talk a little differently. This is so prevalent here that if we hear a lisp, we say they must be from here.
Well, this weekend as we were traveling, we were stopped. Hubby was caught in a speed trap. For anyone traveling, up in the woods it's 70 mph on the Montana side until you hit the Idaho side where it drops to 50mph. Anyhoo, the officer was dealing with Hubby who was driving. A second Forest service officer came to my window. He asked where we were from & I answered. He said he was born here but grew up elsewhere. He had a lisp 😂 Hubby was upset because he hasn't had a speeding ticket since he was 18 years old, but we both laughed because the fella born here had a lisp.

Y'all need a laugh?
Where we live, there is a significant number of people with lisps & speech impediments. Many are kind intelligent folks, just talk a little differently. This is so prevalent here that if we hear a lisp, we say they must be from here.
Well, this weekend as we were traveling, we were stopped. Hubby was caught in a speed trap. For anyone traveling, up in the woods it's 70 mph on the Montana side until you hit the Idaho side where it drops to 50mph. Anyhoo, the officer was dealing with Hubby who was driving. A second Forest service officer came to my window. He asked where we were from & I answered. He said he was born here but grew up elsewhere. He had a lisp 😂 Hubby was upset because he hasn't had a speeding ticket since he was 18 years old, but we both laughed because the fella born here had a lisp.
Speech therapists must have fun with that! I know someone with a lisp sometimes, and not other times. I have always found that interesting, but not interesting enough to ask them about it.

Speech therapists must have fun with that! I know someone with a lisp sometimes, and not other times. I have always found that interesting, but not interesting enough to ask them about it.
I worked with early childhood speech children. Would have loved to major in it but couldn’t afford to go to school that long. A big one is “th” for S. If you ask them to say grass and they can, they don’t have an impediment. They have a habit. People think it’s cute when kids are little so don’t correct them.
Sorry - probably TMI.

I worked with early childhood speech children. Would have loved to major in it but couldn’t afford to go to school that long. A big one is “th” for S. If you ask them to say grass and they can, they don’t have an impediment. They have a habit. People think it’s cute when kids are little so don’t correct them.
Sorry - probably TMI.
Not too much.

I was a sub mucus cleft palette with severe hearing loss.

I remember exercises saying "p" by making a tissue move.

Don't ask about adjusting to no teeth.

;)

Ben

Not too much.

I was a sub mucus cleft palette with severe hearing loss.

I remember exercises saying "p" by making a tissue move.

Don't ask about adjusting to no teeth.

;)

Ben
Knowing where in the mouth the sound is made helps.

Latest posts

Back