What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put some copper sulfate down that pipe. Cutting the roots make them grow faster. The copper sulfate will make them turn around and go another direction or kill them.

I learn such useful things from you all. I need a bigger notebook!

Today I am just working around the house, I decided to box up my shelves of VCR tapes, now I have a place next to my growing stations for books and tools, it is also right above a chest freezer and there is an outlet there so I am creating a station where my seal-a-meal and some bag rolls are always at the ready...

I need to pick up a couple of plastic boxes that I can put batteries in, sort of a weather proofing step.

I had trouble with my canner not wanting to seal last time I used it, so I ordered a few new seals, a replacement steam gauge, and some of the aluminum plates to allow double stacking. I did the double stack last time and it worked well, but I had to borrow a plat from a friend with a similar canner, having multiple plates of my own is just a step in the right direction (to spend less time canning).

We have rain expected for the whole day so it will limit my puttering to inside the house....

Yesterday mom wanted me to get mail and pick up a prescription for her. My brother got the mail but was having breathing trouble so he sat in the truck while I went to get the rx. Apparently mom called while I was inside wanting me to pick up something else but I don't get signal in there. I hurt my back earlier so by the time I was done waiting in the long line, I was too tired to go back in. Mom was a bit miffed about that, but nothing she could do about it but gripe. Visited my friend and put eye meds in the kitten's eyes. Talked him out of paying more to get a crappy base cabinet for his kitchen. Said instead of going then I could take him the next day. He said to pick him up "early" but never defines how early.

Last message he sent was that he might have to work. Still waiting to hear back from him.

So I'm up early and waiting. I may just drive over there to give kitten eye meds and see if he's up. His gf's family won't be happy bc they are sleeping in the living room, but he said to come over "early". LOL.

I'm trying to take it a little easy today as my right hip is not happy with me for dragging my garden wagon up and down a hill a few times.
Will do a video as it is raining again from TS Nicholas.
Going to lunch with friends today.
Still need to clean closet but not finding the ambition yet.
Tater tots turned out well. A little more mashed down than when they went in the jar but that was expected. They taste great! The baked ones seem to have held up their shape better than the thawed ones.
Hope you all have a great weekend!

Up early, was going to take dad to a doctors appointment but he must have decided to drive himself.

It's raining again... everyday since TS Nicholas made landfall. 5 days? don't remember which day Nick came ashore.

No plans but to watch it rain,for another 3 days. Well, I could do some laundry but it's such a chore to get out of my recliner and walk into the other room. :rolleyes:

I have been ordering BBs like mad that I finally got cut off by Walmart. They will sell them to me in store only. My local store is sold out so I will wait or order them else where. I just want to have plenty of ammo for the girls' guns and mine.

My feeder crocks arrived today. Now the rabbits will stop tossing their bowls around their cages! No one had any locally so I had to order them from Lehman's. It was fast. I thought more places would carry them like the feed store but nope. I had these same crocks for my rabbits as a kid. My mom uses them now for soup bowls! 🤪

Dealing with some BS about the hutch I ordered. It arrived yesterday but 4 pieces are broken. K and I can fix 3 to use but the last is the pull out litter pan. I called the store I ordered it from and have been trying to get a hold of the manufacturer to get replacement parts. No luck getting someone yet.

Made and am canning pizza sauce. Tonight is pizza night so I needed to make sauce for that. I made extra and am canning it for later. Now I just need to figure out how to make and preserve pepperoni and we will be set for pizza come SHingTF.

Got my green bean stock tanks ready to replant, and a numbe4r of large pots in the greenhouse ready to seed lettuce and spinach. Picked a bucket of tomatoes and peppers. Took the tire off the mower because it was flat, lost the c clip in the hay on the ground. Neighbor was over to get something out of the freezer we keep for him and took the flat into town, had it fixed and picked up another c clip. He's a sweet man, was going into town anyway, so offered. Came back and threw the tire back on in a second. Husband at physical therapy, and we'll go to my cousin Harry's house later because he's dividing out his peonies and I have plenty of places to plant them.

I doubled the width of the trench and graded the bottom to install the new drain pipe.

20210917_160151_HDR.jpg

I should be able to break the terracotta pipe to get a consistent grade. The pile of dirt summarizes how much dirt came out of the trench.

20210917_160158.jpg

Tomorrow I will put together a list then visit Lowes for what i need.

It would be nice to button up this project and get back to the work that needs done on the rental property so we can that rented out again
Ben

I was up early waiting to hear back from my friend so I could take him to the store. I called and messaged for a few hours. Then I decided to just go up to Samsclub anyway. My brother went with me but we did swing by to see my friend. He had his phone on silent mode and was still asleep after 11. (And he'd told me he wanted me to pick him up "early early").

We went to Lowes to get the butcher block countertop and I managed to get the manager to take 20% off because it had some damage (on the part that will be the underside). My friend was surprised. Thanks to The Deal Guy on Youtube for that tip on getting discounts on damaged mdse.

After that it was on to Surplus Warehouse (aka Home Outlet aka Barton's Home Outlet). I grabbed the last 12" base cabinet. Friend found the dishwasher end panel. Loaded everything in to the truck and unloaded it at his house. Sometime this weekend I'm going to go over and apply the butcherblock sealant and stain the cabinet & end panel.

I picked up Nightmeow and put his eye medicine in to make sure it got put in at least once today in case my friend forgets. I held him for several minutes and wanted to hold him longer (he was purring away and happy) but I had to get home to feed Mom.

I cooked for Mom when I got home and now I'm ready for a nap.

Last edited:
Today I am just working around the house, I decided to box up my shelves of VCR tapes, now I have a place next to my growing stations for books and tools, it is also right above a chest freezer and there is an outlet there so I am creating a station where my seal-a-meal and some bag rolls are always at the ready...

I need to pick up a couple of plastic boxes that I can put batteries in, sort of a weather proofing step.

I had trouble with my canner not wanting to seal last time I used it, so I ordered a few new seals, a replacement steam gauge, and some of the aluminum plates to allow double stacking. I did the double stack last time and it worked well, but I had to borrow a plat from a friend with a similar canner, having multiple plates of my own is just a step in the right direction (to spend less time canning).

We have rain expected for the whole day so it will limit my puttering to inside the house....
Every so often if you run olive oil around the seal on your canner, it will help it a lot.

I doubled the width of the trench and graded the bottom to install the new drain pipe.

View attachment 72440

I should be able to break the terracotta pipe to get a consistent grade. The pile of dirt summarizes how much dirt came out of the trench.

View attachment 72442

Tomorrow I will put together a list then visit Lowes for what i need.

It would be nice to button up this project and get back to the work that needs done on the rental property so we can that rented out again
Ben
Is that the old walkway? You should dig that up while you're down there. Wouldn't that be nice :devil:

My dad had a good check up.
It doesn't change the future.
I have been in hospital for a few tests recently.
Made it through the "Bridal Shower" last Sunday.
Whew!
Had dinner with oldest son, oldest grand daughter, and his new family.
Both sons have closed on their new houses.
Two more weeks till the "Wedding".
I want to thank Lady Locust for helping me with the dress problem.
So now I have several dresses to choose from.

I am enjoying the day, after the inventory I noticed some venison that I sat aside for Jerky.... So last night I cleaned the dehydrator trays.... ;) This morning I was at the grocery store and they had some fruit for a change, but it is all almost over ripe... So I bought a bunch of it and sliced it up, added 5 trays to the dehydrator stack...

I'm not being overly creative with the marinade for the venison, just teriyaki, soy sauce, liquid smoke, some powder garlic & onion, Tabasco, and some worcestershire sauce. I am planing on doing about 5 batches back to back, and I was wondering can you use the same marinade on multiple batches of jerky meat? It seems like a waste to be throwing out this much juice each time.....

FYI I don't use the dehydrator much, last time was a decade ago.... So I am totally flying blind.

I picked up a container for my battery box so I will be installing the vent system and wiring for that today.

The garden is talking to me too......

So enjoying the day does not mean that I will be sleeping... ;)

For the jerkey, just make sure it is on very high heat. If you marinated in the fridge, I don't see why you couldn't use it again. If it sat out, I wouldn't reuse.
Picking up mom today, haven't seen her in about three weeks. We'll have her for lunch at the house, and she might want to shop in our little town. Have tons of peonie bulbs to plant, maybe tomorrow.

I ate badly for 2 days and am up 3.5 pounds. I'm hoping a good bit of that is water!

Walked first (slower, hip still hurts), will walk dogs in a bit.
I am moving some stuff to out building.
Re-packaging and vacuum sealing some sliced ham for freezing.
Working on next year's photo calendar in Shutterfly.
Probably looking at closet and deciding to wait another week or so. LOL
Have a good weekend!

Went to watch some local young'uns in a peewee soccer game this morning. The buzz amongst the people watching was some great news for me. The grocery store chain that has its HQ in the next town over is building a store next door to me! It will be a fairly small store, and won't carry the type of selection a normal store will, but I don't care. I will be able to walk less than 100 yards from my door and then I'll be in the store. This chain, called Fareway, is also family owned and treats employees fairly well. They're never open on Sundays, so no employees have to miss church. I'm pretty excited about this!

Is that the old walkway? You should dig that up while you're down there. Wouldn't that be nice :devil:
No.

We get ice storms that don't mix well with side walks with a 30 degree grade. Once I was headed out, started to loose it so sat down gracefully and slid down to the street.

Another time The Princess called to be rescued. She had made it part way up the slope and was laying on the ice. I had to work my way close enough to throw her a rope.

All of that side yard is now terraced with steps between levels. The terrace I am working on is the fairy garden outside the door to the Hobbit hole. When finish yp the drainage fix I hope to never see that sidewalk again.

Ben

My body is sore today, my vision is blurry, and I still feel exhausted. Time to take my daily meds and see if I can wake myself up. I racked out after posting yesterday but mom woke me up to feed her in the middle of the night. Then her dog woke me up even later (I think like 4am) because he was being fussy. He was on the bed growling over nothing so I let him in to her room and went back to bed. Legs and feet have been getting charlie horse (I wonder what the medical term for that is) so I'm not moving too much just yet.

Mo, good luck with picking a dress!

My brain just froze. LOL.

My body is sore today, my vision is blurry, and I still feel exhausted. Time to take my daily meds and see if I can wake myself up. I racked out after posting yesterday but mom woke me up to feed her in the middle of the night. Then her dog woke me up even later (I think like 4am) because he was being fussy. He was on the bed growling over nothing so I let him in to her room and went back to bed. Legs and feet have been getting charlie horse (I wonder what the medical term for that is) so I'm not moving too much just yet.

Mo, good luck with picking a dress!

My brain just froze. LOL.
Let us know you are ok!!?

If my eyes get dry and I rub them, I'll get a blood spot, too. I try to use eye drops each day.
That's great about your peppers, ours are going like crazy right now. One of my dehydrators bit the dust yesterday.
Depending on the brand, you can order the part to fix it. I fixed both of my Excaliburs.

I've been in the kitchen and pantry for 2 days now! If I don't stop, y'all are gonna mistake me for Urban Hunter. heehee
Had a nice rain shower go through - Sah-weet!
I tested the new propane heater - love it. I also like knowing we have an option other than electric.

I am so glad I got all my inventory done! The wife keeps a list in the pantry and I have a list hanging above the freezer in the food storage area... Now all I have to do is the in's and out's :)

I got one batch of jerky out, found myself nibbling on it as I was checking the progress. The second batch is in now an should be done when I get up.. I am thawing the meat for batch #3 which should go in tomorrow morning....

Back