What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to pick up granddaughter from High School and she's on a 10 day quarantine. Her boyfriend tested positive. She has not been easy to get along with lately, so having her home on a school laptop will be interesting. I think I'll be busy outside. Ha.
Went into town to stock up at Tractor on turkey, rabbit, chicken feed, and a new wheelbarrow tire. Then to husband's allergy shot, and out for a mexican lunch.
Wood guy delivered our winter wood when we got home.

Sleeping, maybe video games later, I got to keep my target practice up somehow and at 30$ a box for 308+a forty mile round trip, fallout new Vegas or Fallout 4 isn't bad with a weapon add on or three. I've modded in pretty much everything I own.

Finished up the pipes just in time to dodge a day and a half of rain coming in.

The grate in front of the door will not be tested until I backfill and grade.

20210921_154055.jpg

Four lines all merge in the trench plus I add a clean out incase I need to snake the line in the future.

20210921_154104.jpg

I could have used another 3' of pipe beyond the 30' I purchased to reach the street but that is enough for today so I can observe tomorrow during the rain.

20210921_154111.jpg

If I see trouble tomorrow I will be able to run the electric snake without being a contortionist.

Tomorrow will be a day of watching for water in the basement and observing the new pipes in action.

While most of the world has forgotten, Ben will remember Ida for some time to come.

Behave

Ben

I have a few prospects on a second doe for our rabbitry. K made me promise no more rabbits until I have a cage/hutch ready to go for them. I have 2 more coming on Thursday. I also finally spoke to someone about the damaged parts for the hutch. I have a parts order number but am now waiting for them to ship it! I am bordering on selling the damn hutch and going with a different setup if I can't get the parts in a week. I got the hutch for a really good price and I know I can sell it NEW for the going higher price or more.

I sealed 50lbs of wheat in mylar and buckets. I have tons of wheat now and a decent grinder. I might add another 50lbs to my next Azure order for sh*ts and giggles. Oats and corn meal are next to be sealed up. I have to run out for buckets and lids at Tractor supply first.

I am going to send K this weekend to see about getting firewood. We have some but I want to have plenty for the coming season. I need to finish up some paper bricks too. I have been thinking of putting a folding pruning saw and a bow saw in my wagon for the random branches/wood left out for trash collection that I see when running errands. I also figure they would come in handy for cutting dead wood on public property along the sides of the highway in the middle of the night...!

I need to double check my in house pantry for shelf stable foods and their expiration dates. The stores have bad dates on their products and I want to make sure my stock is good for a bit longer so I can find fresh supplies at the stores or can order fresh online.

I have a few prospects on a second doe for our rabbitry. K made me promise no more rabbits until I have a cage/hutch ready to go for them. I have 2 more coming on Thursday. I also finally spoke to someone about the damaged parts for the hutch. I have a parts order number but am now waiting for them to ship it! I am bordering on selling the damn hutch and going with a different setup if I can't get the parts in a week. I got the hutch for a really good price and I know I can sell it NEW for the going higher price or more.

I sealed 50lbs of wheat in mylar and buckets. I have tons of wheat now and a decent grinder. I might add another 50lbs to my next Azure order for sh*ts and giggles. Oats and corn meal are next to be sealed up. I have to run out for buckets and lids at Tractor supply first.

I am going to send K this weekend to see about getting firewood. We have some but I want to have plenty for the coming season. I need to finish up some paper bricks too. I have been thinking of putting a folding pruning saw and a bow saw in my wagon for the random branches/wood left out for trash collection that I see when running errands. I also figure they would come in handy for cutting dead wood on public property along the sides of the highway in the middle of the night...!

I need to double check my in house pantry for shelf stable foods and their expiration dates. The stores have bad dates on their products and I want to make sure my stock is good for a bit longer so I can find fresh supplies at the stores or can order fresh online.
I got one of these and am very happy with it.

Still as sharp as the day i got it 5 years ago.

Ben

Edit

Looks like same saw but price reduced

Last edited:

Might contact the extension service and see if there is a 4H-er who has moved on and might have a hutch or two to part with.

Just resting at home after a very long week ending yesterday.
Cleaning, laundry. Tonight headed out to my daughter's home volleyball game. They are undefeated this season. Super fun to watch. Her and 3 of her friends have been playing on varsity together since freshman year, and now they are seniors so it's their year to shine.

This week and thru next Thursday at work is trying to get all our work orders closed out, pushing to get the last of the parts ordered on site, and anything else we need to close out before the FY ends.
Got another request for more radios for use for about 3-12 months. In the last 3 weeks we've went thru 41 of them. We keep a bunch on hand, but this has been a hit. Probably need to order more soon.
And got a email from one of my customers that one of our projects may be getting close to ready for us to move our enclosure in. We are ready to go with it, but I ask to wait until next month, once things settle down and we can still get done before winter. Just finished another project last week, and got parts ordered that will allow us to do another project. Lots of folks involved with it.

My connection went to crap so it's not letting me "like" posts and not loading some of the pictures. I can see some of Ben's drainage pipe pics but can't see pics in his next post replying to Grimm. :-(

Indeed. Its always difficult to problem solve with someone who may have 10 times, or a 1000 times your income.
Yeah. People keep saying things like "Why don't you just move?" Moving costs money. I still remember a shining example of the disconnect was a legislator from my district whining about how he "only" makes $6million a year and that of that $6million he "only" gets $600k to split among feeding his family and investing in new businesses and that once he's done feeding his family he "only" has a mere $200k to invest in new businesses. WTHeck is he feeding his family? Gold nuggets? And he says this while presiding over a district where the median *household* income is less than $25k/year. People are living in abject poverty and this guy is complaining. And his advice to the poor people is to cut back on their spending, get a 3rd job, get an education (which costs $$$), etc. He runs one of the food franchises in the area that vastly understaffs and underpays employees.

Sleeping, maybe video games later, I got to keep my target practice up somehow and at 30$ a box for 308+a forty mile round trip, fallout new Vegas or Fallout 4 isn't bad with a weapon add on or three. I've modded in pretty much everything I own.
I used to make mods for games. Not as good as it since games have gotten more complicated. I made new companion faces for Morrowind and made myself a golden tower shield. I didn't see any tower shields I liked in the game. Wish I hadn't lost that hard drive because I was proud of that mod. I did some mods for The Sims, and The Sims 2. I did some recolors for Sims 4. As I've aged my brain has not been able to focus as much.

Today I went to the post office and found they had a box with mom's insulin. Ice packs had already melted. Went to my friend's house to sand, clean, and put another coat of oil on the butcherblock countertop. Went to the store to grab some stuff for Mom and then headed home. They did try to smooth out the ruts in the road but it's still ugly.

My brother convinced my friend's gf to start taking her anti-psychotic meds again and she's doing better. But her brother and his wife are really upset. The storm hit them on Aug 29. They borrowed a relative's truck and left on the 30th. The roof caved in so the place is uninhabitable. Their landlord called them this afternoon to inform them that unless they paid rent for this month he was formally evicting them as of Oct 1 and that if they don't have all of their belongings out by then he's going to demo the place and destroy their stuff. It's a 4 hour drive each way to get there. Dude seriously wants $550 for a place that is uninhabitable. He also said he won't be giving them their security deposit back. He's claiming the place wasn't insured. I suggested they see if they can get a free consultation with a lawyer to ask about their rights here. Pretty sure landlord has to give written notice and reasonable time to get their stuff. Also he can't legally charge rent for that month.

As an aside, what forum section would I go to for posting pics of my workshop? I want to discuss how to fix it up and also figure out WTHeck some of the stuff in there is. LOL.

With my shop back, I was able to try out my new plasma cutter and dimple dies.

Made a little front cargo rack for the piglet. Just something big enough I can bungie cord a ammo box on or something.
IMG_4998.jpeg

Last edited:
My connection went to crap so it's not letting me "like" posts and not loading some of the pictures. I can see some of Ben's drainage pipe pics but can't see pics in his next post replying to Grimm. :-(

Yeah. People keep saying things like "Why don't you just move?" Moving costs money. I still remember a shining example of the disconnect was a legislator from my district whining about how he "only" makes $6million a year and that of that $6million he "only" gets $600k to split among feeding his family and investing in new businesses and that once he's done feeding his family he "only" has a mere $200k to invest in new businesses. WTHeck is he feeding his family? Gold nuggets? And he says this while presiding over a district where the median *household* income is less than $25k/year. People are living in abject poverty and this guy is complaining. And his advice to the poor people is to cut back on their spending, get a 3rd job, get an education (which costs $$$), etc. He runs one of the food franchises in the area that vastly understaffs and underpays employees.

I used to make mods for games. Not as good as it since games have gotten more complicated. I made new companion faces for Morrowind and made myself a golden tower shield. I didn't see any tower shields I liked in the game. Wish I hadn't lost that hard drive because I was proud of that mod. I did some mods for The Sims, and The Sims 2. I did some recolors for Sims 4. As I've aged my brain has not been able to focus as much.

Today I went to the post office and found they had a box with mom's insulin. Ice packs had already melted. Went to my friend's house to sand, clean, and put another coat of oil on the butcherblock countertop. Went to the store to grab some stuff for Mom and then headed home. They did try to smooth out the ruts in the road but it's still ugly.

My brother convinced my friend's gf to start taking her anti-psychotic meds again and she's doing better. But her brother and his wife are really upset. The storm hit them on Aug 29. They borrowed a relative's truck and left on the 30th. The roof caved in so the place is uninhabitable. Their landlord called them this afternoon to inform them that unless they paid rent for this month he was formally evicting them as of Oct 1 and that if they don't have all of their belongings out by then he's going to demo the place and destroy their stuff. It's a 4 hour drive each way to get there. Dude seriously wants $550 for a place that is uninhabitable. He also said he won't be giving them their security deposit back. He's claiming the place wasn't insured. I suggested they see if they can get a free consultation with a lawyer to ask about their rights here. Pretty sure landlord has to give written notice and reasonable time to get their stuff. Also he can't legally charge rent for that month.

As an aside, what forum section would I go to for posting pics of my workshop? I want to discuss how to fix it up and also figure out WTHeck some of the stuff in there is. LOL.
I think there is a building thread. There is a tool thread or two also. Tools are good! You can start a thread if there isn't something that fits the bill.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/forums/home-construction-remodeling-woodworking.22/

What a day. Spent the day trapping feral cats at my aunt in laws. Trapped quite a few that we’ve already TNR. Caught the mom we were after (has a spay apt for Monday) and caught two of her kittens so far. One to go. Hopefully by morning I’ll have it trapped. May drive over and check one more time tonight. Still pretty hot during the day. Caught a big Tom who is missing 1/2 his tail and degloved a good 1 1/2 of what remained. Rushed him to a clinic. Didn’t expect to see that. Will know Friday if he will be released. Also trapped the male with the broke tail that showed up here and has been beating up or old barn cat. Not sure what we will do with him. I’m pretty sure he came from the problem property. I hesitate to neuter him and release him. Not sure if once he’s lower hormones if he will get along. Think that’s a total of 12 cats/kittens trapped this afternoon. I’m beat

Ran to three pet stores/feed stores for rabbit supplies. I have feed and hay but I wanted to make sure I had spare water bottles and crocks. No one had everything I needed so I had to shop around. I did find a local shop carrying fish antibiotics. Good to know for when I need to fix up an animal.

Got the fabric for Roo's Halloween costume. She wants to be Peter Pan to Juju's Tinkerbell. Next year Juju will be Little Red Ridinghood. She wants Roo to be the wolf. I can't stop laughing at that! Roo has an OCD-phobia type fear of Johnny Depp's Wolf from Into The Woods (the movie I modeled the Hood costume on). If I even start singing his song around Roo she panics. "Hello, Little girl!" 🤪

Tomorrow is pizza dough day. I will make bread on Friday. I also need to replenish my dry muffin mix base.

Latest posts

Back