What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannot find my new headlamp that has a red light on it. Darnit. Wanted to walk the dog and try out the light. I forgot to use it when I went stargazing.
Worked today. Fixed dinner for a change. lol
Working on a slightly irritated throat. Hyped up on the Vit D, Zinc, and Vit C. Going to have some herbal tea shortly.
@Sparky_D you are doing great! Hard to believe it has been a year.
Not feeling too energetic since I put my feet up.
@Amish Heart I can squash bugs. Yes, they get mushy. (Sorry, I got a little confused when I first read your post). :D
@Grimm I don't recall having seen "Into the Woods." Do you dress up for Halloween too? I was a scarecrow last time I dressed up.

You can squash a squash bug? Or you can (mason jar) can a squash bug? Ha Ha.
I pick the squash bugs off plants and squash the bug.
I don't can squash, but alot of people around our parts make a squash relish and can it.
Our squash is done now, too many squash bugs.
Wow Amish, that was a lot!!👍😍

Thanks, @LadyLocust

@Double R I'm glad you are helping the kitties. So many people just leave them abandoned.

My friend's mom dumped a kitten on his porch and someone shot it's leg with a BB. Not the first one that's been shot with a bb in that area. I feel so badly for the poor thing. He's a very sweet kitten.

Nightmeow is doing ok still. I need to go over tomorrow to clean his eyes and see how the countertop is doing. Was going to try to get the truck looked at on Thursday but the earliest appointment was Friday.

Didn't get much done today. My brother still hasn't emptied the trash and stuff is falling on the floor again.

Moved the old wood stove out, moved the new, slightly larger one.

Power went out just as we where finishing. Went out to start the generator, even though I don't really need it, I could use solar to get through the night but the generator hasn't been run for a while so I fired I would use this as an excuse to rotate through some gas.

Couldn't get it started on gasoline, had to switch to propane mode, which fired it right up, but looks like I need to work on the carb tomorrow.

Moved the old wood stove out, moved the new, slightly larger one.

Power went out just as we where finishing. Went out to start the generator, even though I don't really need it, I could use solar to get through the night but the generator hasn't been run for a while so I fired I would use this as an excuse to rotate through some gas.

Couldn't get it started on gasoline, had to switch to propane mode, which fired it right up, but looks like I need to work on the carb tomorrow.
Hubby was anxious to use my new little generator for the big coffee pot. I got it just big enough to run either the refrigerator or little coffee pot in the trailer (so it's light and small). It wasn't enough for the big coffee pot so he had to go with good ol' camp coffee. But, the generator cranked right up.

Long day. Not quite over yet.
Caught the final kitten. Saw it in a tree. Was able to uncoordinatedly climb the tree and snag it. It was interesting but glad I had an extra hand to deter it from going up more and distracted it enough to grab it. Thank goodness for the expensive handling gloves. Two ninja kittens have paid for them in itself.
Friday I’m supposed to pick up the injured cat from the clinic. Still trying to find a home for the cat we trapped here. He’s definitely an abuse case. Feel so bad for him. Wish he could stay here but he can’t. He beats up our old barn cat. Will have to go transfer the momma cat to a smaller cage Sunday for her Monday spay apt. Praying she is easy to transfer and doesn’t end up loose. It will be a long time before we can catch her again. I’m sure she could be close to being knocked up again by the size of the kittens. Ran some errands and checked fliers. Many tabs gone on both the car and the tires we have up so far. Was worried that people only look online these days. Did get a call today on the parts car. Gentlemen will be here Monday to look at it. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 If he buys it I’ll put the other car up for sale. That one won’t be a screaming deal so will take longer to sell im sure. Making progress towards our move! 🎉
Hope y’all had a good day!

@Double R you're a peach for doing all of those rescues! And glad to hear you have three hands. (The extra hand you were referring to).
It's ok, @Amish Heart I don't think most people know what I'm talking about most of the time! I was playing on words about the I can squash bugs. You CAN squash. But I appreciate your explanation, you did cover everything. Sorry you had too many squash bugs on your squash.

Hubby was anxious to use my new little generator for the big coffee pot. I got it just big enough to run either the refrigerator or little coffee pot in the trailer (so it's light and small). It wasn't enough for the big coffee pot so he had to go with good ol' camp coffee. But, the generator cranked right up.

My generator is a monster. about 10x bigger than I need unless I'm using the welder, well pump etc, which is why its so big. Normally I would just use solar for a short term thing like this but it needed to be run and this is a good excuse.

Where were all you ladies last year when I had 40+ strays out here. Still haven't completely controlled the issue but my puppy helps. He just hates cats and he's year old now.

Went to town today, needed a few items. I wanted to make some pico de gallo but no one had fresh cilantro. My dad surprised me. He's noticed grocery prices going up and the shortages. He gave me a $100 bill and wanted me to buy him assorted can goods with a long shelf life.

It was "special" day at the little market in town so I loaded up on can goods. A lot of 2 for 1 deals but I still spent $130. I just told dad I spent all the big bill. But hey, active participation is better than not.

Last edited:
I walked first (still a little slower, but hip is feeling better).
Went to Walmart where I did see some holes in meat and dairy.
Stopped at a local grocery for pork steak sale.
Picked up copies of my labs from doc. Everything is good!
Came home and got on phone with cable company. Got bill lowered about $25 a month and faster speed. Yay!
Helped my neighbor pack up her house to move. Gonna miss her!
Still need to cook up some eggs for DH for breakfasts. I'm tired today!

Start of day.

20210923_131825_HDR.jpg

End of day.

20210923_155800_HDR.jpg

20210923_155917_HDR.jpg

The pipe sticking up is the clean out that I will trim down after the ground settles a bit.

Applied the first dose of the copper sulphate to clear the roots from the french drain. It will take a while because we dont have rain scheduled for a while.

Done for today.

Ben

Start of day.

View attachment 72725

End of day.

View attachment 72726

View attachment 72727

The pipe sticking up is the clean out that I will trim down after the ground settles a bit.

Applied the first dose of the copper sulphate to clear the roots from the french drain. It will take a while because we dont have rain scheduled for a while.

Done for today.

Ben
So. . . my buddy Ben. . . . I have this little digging project, and . . . . 😂 😇

Had brunch in town with husband, and did a Dollar Tree shop. They are full of junk food and non food items, but low on canned and food items. I did get more shelf stable milk, some pie filling, some sardines, cane sugar, and some olives. Noticed the olives are in a smaller can, medium instead of large, and a different brand.

Got a new project to kick off next month that will lead to regular work for years to come.

Yesterday I took the J&J shot. Decided no way I could leave work right now without jepordizing our future, espically if something happened to me before the wife passed.
Today woke up with a headache this morning. Kept it all day long and feel like crap since I got home.

THANK YOU joe biden you worthless piece of *%*!#

Winterizing small engines.

Last night someone took out a power pole with their truck. Went to start the generator, not because I needed it, I have solar for short duration things, but it needed to run.

More than I realized as it wouldn't start up in gas mode, had to switch it to propane to get it to work.

So today I cleaned the carb and let it run for a coupe hours in gas mode just to loosen things up. Changed the oil, and while I was at it, did the same for the little 400 watt generator, and the trash pump. Also drained an winterized the fire suppression system since the ditch is off for the year anyway.

Winterizing small engines.

Last night someone took out a power pole with their truck. Went to start the generator, not because I needed it, I have solar for short duration things, but it needed to run.

More than I realized as it wouldn't start up in gas mode, had to switch it to propane to get it to work.

So today I cleaned the carb and let it run for a coupe hours in gas mode just to loosen things up. Changed the oil, and while I was at it, did the same for the little 400 watt generator, and the trash pump. Also drained an winterized the fire suppression system since the ditch is off for the year anyway.
What is a trash pump?
Got a new project to kick off next month that will lead to regular work for years to come.

Yesterday I took the J&J shot. Decided no way I could leave work right now without jepordizing our future, espically if something happened to me before the wife passed.
Today woke up with a headache this morning. Kept it all day long and feel like crap since I got home.

THANK YOU joe biden you worthless piece of *%*!#
Hope you get to feeling better.
Don't listen to her! I too, have a little digging project. Fried chicken and peaches for lunch and a nice long restful road trip before and after.
Oooohh, that's low 😂

Got a lot of work done today at work. Lots of multi tasking, knocked my yeti cup of desk, juggled it and fell on floor, knocking lid off. Mess cleaned up. Should have stopped at that point. Trimming paper on paper cutter to get label for envelope while picking up scraps, caught thumb on cutting motion. Small deep cut wouldn’t stop bleeding. Work place accident requires ER for Workmans Comp. FORGOT ABOUT USING SUGAR! Again multitasking. Rinsed, dried, and tried to wrap paper towel around it. Been 30 minutes, still pulsing when pressure off. 2 rubber bands and elevated for 35 minute drive to er. Picked up RX first at WM for husband. Finally after hour and half of pressure bleeding stopped. Not enough skin on one side to glue or stitch. He said may have nicked artery. Wrapped and sent home. Feel so stupid

What is a trash pump?
A trash pump is a small portable pump with a largish 2" + intake and output hose, used to move water and 💩 (when the septic tank has failed) and anything else that might have chunks in it.

Yep. Often used for firefighting as you can drop the intake into a stream, pond, etc, not necessarily clean water, and pump it at high volume.

My brother *finally* emptied *one* of the trash cans. He left the one in the bathroom and other two in the kitchen full. He also didn't pick up the trash that spilled out when he finally took the bag out. So I slipped on parchment paper that he left there. I then picked up trash that had been piling up while not having an empty trash can and picked up the spillage from the can he emptied. The trash can is already full. I did some cleaning in the hallway and living room too. I stopped to cook for mom and my shoulder crapped out on me while trying to mix the food. Then my back crapped out on me while I was trying to do more cleaning. I had to take a break and resume until the trash can was completely full. My brother was annoyed, but if he would actually take the trash out every week it wouldn't be a problem.

My favorite cat is missing so I haven't been able to sleep. I'm worried about him.

Today is Hubby's and my 10th anniversary. I canned the second batch of salsa this morning and have a load of laundry ready - will take a shower then get that going. We will be heading down to the Deschutes river where we spent our honeymoon - do some fishing and quilting. Hubby wants a new fishing rod (he always wants a new fishing rod 😂 ). We haven't been able to go camping much in the last year for obvious reasons so looking forward to it.

Today is a nice off day.... I harvested tomatoes and green beans, have enough green beans to can and some to eat :) Wife got a call from a friend of hers, they are in final stages of moving away and some people were going to pick up their long term food storage (too heavy to move, mostly beans and wheat), they didn't show. So we offered to add it to our storage, now I need to make room for 12 more 5 gallon buckets...
I figured that it is cheap ($0/Lb), feed the starving masses type stuff if things ever get really bad... gives me a way to help without depleting my stash.

Hapyy 10th LL! Hope you have a great time fishing, camping, and quilting!
Got the animals done this am, picked another bucket of cherry tomatoes. Went to my favorite cousins house to help her daughter and husband with honey extraction. They use an antique hand crank spinner that fits 4 trays at a time. We uncapped the honey on the trays, they put them in the spinner. When I left, it looked like about 4 each five gallon buckets were straining. It was pretty thick this year, she poured off two gallons, but the straining is going to take awhile. Went to the amish grocery for a few things, husband and I stopped for a soft serve cone, then off to our neighbors vegetable/flower greenhouse for a large bag of greenbeans.

Back