What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard there was a recall on onions and garlic from Chihuahua Mexico. Salmonella contamination.

Ben, nice fridge! Reminds me of the one my brother has in his room. I'd leave the doors the way they are-- if it swings the other way the handle would hit the wall.

I went to the store but got stuck in traffic. I think there was a wreck ahead but it was cleared by the time I got up there. Took 30 minutes to travel 500ft. Store was out of some stuff I needed to get. Mom didn't mention she had prescriptions to pick up until AFTER I got home. I cooked for her when I got back. My brother didn't go with me. He's not feeling well. Said he's extremely tired & doesn't know why. I said "welcome to the club". I should have sympathy for him, but he's had no sympathy for me for years. Always told me I should just "tough it out" and "power through" the crippling fatigue. Now he's being a total wuss about it himself. He also hasn't been taking his insulin like he's supposed to. He is supposed to take it daily. It was easier when he had the once-a-week shot but Medicaid doesn't cover it so he can't get it anymore.

Busy day at work, several projects in the works all at one time. Juggling time to try and cover them best I can. Had a very productive meeting with a vendor during lunch. Found out some good info, working on getting a new piece of gear in to do some testing with to see if it'll do the same job as our current (old style) equipment. Also probably going to be able to schedule some training at some point this FY. Also worked with our utility department to get an excavation started next week. That'll get one of our projects moving that's been on hold.

Busy day at work, several projects in the works all at one time. Juggling time to try and cover them best I can. Had a very productive meeting with a vendor during lunch. Found out some good info, working on getting a new piece of gear in to do some testing with to see if it'll do the same job as our current (old style) equipment. Also probably going to be able to schedule some training at some point this FY. Also worked with our utility department to get an excavation started next week. That'll get one of our projects moving that's been on hold.
Have you ever shared what your projects entail?

Reading between the line... a lot of hazmat?

Curious,

Ben

A few of them maybe bits and pieces of them. I supervise/project manage a crew that is mostly responsible for maintaining and calibrating equipment that monitors water flow and levels, air flow and levels, that are discharged from facilities we have some stacks included in that. Another part is doing temperature cal's in the weld test shop. Other stuff includes wiring up alarms that report back to our 911 center on site, these are for anything from water bugs to notify of leaks to notify if a generator don't start up. We also manage nearly 1000 radios, calibrations and repairs.

The one we need the excavation for is a new piece of equipment to us. I uses a laser to measure both flow and depth of water thru a culvert. Where it's going to be located there isn't any power easily accessable, so we are going to install a solar panel/battery combo, and maybe a second one in the future to feed the controller and laser. Location is pretty near a lot of trees on the far side of the creek and we aren't allowed to cut any of them, so we are going to have a 100' run to the panel back to the enclosure for the battery and controller, then another 35' to the laser unit.
Another is to outfit a new ladder truck for the fire department with radios, cell phone repeaters, firecom system, and computer system and router/wifi.
Busy group. But it is usually interesting and I learn something new quite regularly. Best of all I've got 5 great guys working for me. They sure cover my butt

Got 5 of our 20 # propane tanks filled in town, and will do 5 more tomorrow. Did a full cart shop at Aldi. Picked more tomatoes and peppers and kale. Emptied the dehydrator and filled it again. Couple of loads of laundry. What's with Walmart.com? Used to be able to get free shipping. They're going to make me actually go into the store.

Got 5 of our 20 # propane tanks filled in town, and will do 5 more tomorrow. Did a full cart shop at Aldi. Picked more tomatoes and peppers and kale. Emptied the dehydrator and filled it again. Couple of loads of laundry. What's with Walmart.com? Used to be able to get free shipping. They're going to make me actually go into the store.

I just had stuffed shipped. They changed their site and it's annoying.

Picked all the beans before the rain that's supposed to start at 2 am. There are a lot!!! Also picked any of the tomatoes that were red and redish. Had pulled all but 4 plants - hoping to keep them going. It's supposed to rain for about a week and a half so now I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Picked up 4 giant boxes of apples for the cidering Sunday. I have plenty to do.

It is annoying. Found where we ordered Perrier in January. $13 delivered, now double. Although I know Sams was getting ripped off delivering 100 lbs of cat litter by UPS free delivery last year.

I just had 30lbs of rice and a bunch of the kids vitamins delivered.

Call Kaufman Seeds at 1 800 634 2836. If they don't have sunflower, ask them if they know who does. There were a number of sunflower fields here, and they are so beautiful. Kaufman's is at the end of our block, and there's a few seed places right around here, just don't know who has sunflower. I haven't priced it lately, used to just get a 50 lb bag at Tractor when we were in New Mexico. Wonder why it's so pricey now.

I've seen sunflower fields over near Waco but have no clue who is growing and selling it.
All of you work hard, you need a vacation. The thing is, your vacations probably involve more work and more projects. Well, I just took another pain pill so I'd better get off here before I say something I'd have to erase. :confused2:

Now that was funny, I've had my laugh for the day. I over slept a bit from the chores yesterday, bad tired. I didn't wake up quickly, foggy headed. I found 5 messages on my machine, 3 from my doctors office about my appointment yesterday.

So I called and asked to speak to Debbie who left the messages. The lady who answered the phone was named Debbie. After that confusion reigned supreme!!!

It seems I didn't call my doctor when using my redial function. I got Debbie at the County Jail. She's the head jailer.

I was slow to understand why this Debbie didn't have my doctors report. It was like a "Who's on First" routine (Abbot Costello) and I was the idiot!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

We, had a good laugh... She remembered me from yesterday, I met her at the Sheriffs office.

Guess I can add this to my completed bucket list... Called County Jail looking for doctors report, never done that before.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
I've seen sunflower fields over near Waco but have no clue who is growing and selling it.
All of you work hard, you need a vacation. The thing is, your vacations probably involve more work and more projects. Well, I just took another pain pill so I'd better get off here before I say something I'd have to erase. :confused2:
Why are you in pain? ☹️

They are trying to become more like Amazon.
Wal*Mart + is a membership type setup.
Might give you early excess to special sales(Black Friday)
Supposely they will deliver or ship for free to your home.
But ubfornately Wal*Mart + isn't available in my area.
But it available 20 miles down the road which is where Alidi's is located.
Only go to Wal*Mart once a month now a days.
I do my primary shopping at Aldi's now.
And they deliver in the winter this will be nice.

Been ill.
Making quilts trying to get ready for Christmas this year.
Finished 2 more baby quilts, no I don't need those as far as I know.
They were on top of the basket of quilt tops to be finished.
Only a baker's dozen left to finish.
About half away done.
Part of these quilts will be donated to the Ronald Mc Donald House in Kansas City, Missouri.
Or to the Onocolony( Cancer) ward at several Children's hospitals.

Everyone in the house got sick this week including me. :rolleyes: I am normally the only one who doesn't get sick with K being the worst and biggest baby. This time round K was the first sick and the biggest baby as per the norm. He was better the second day but still having some chest congestion. Years of smoking will do that.

The girls got sick not long after but they were less severe than K but it lasted longer. Mostly just nasal congestion. They went through the family's stash of hankies in a few days. No biggie. I washed them and now I know we should have more on hand. They still have lots of snot but it is thin and clear-ish.

Well, I got it too. Not the norm in the least. Just nasal/sinus congestion. I knocked out yesterday afternoon for an hour or so but am feeling loads better today. I loaded up on the honey lemon syrup yesterday and tried pushing it all week on the rest of the family. No one listens but I am proof you have to stay on top of it or you will suffer. I just have a sinus pressure headache today and a slight runny nose.

At least we are going into the weekend having gotten over the worst of it and can focus on getting the weekend chores done.

Roo has been helping me care for the rabbits. She is scooping litter boxes (makes cleaning the hutches EASY!) and helping feed them. It gives her a chance to get one on one with the buns. They need to get comfortable with more than just me and Roo needs to understand what owning pets really takes. Technically the rabbits are our breeding stock for meat rabbits but they are still young and gives us a chance to see what caring for a herd will be like. I will be contacting our mixed doe's breeder before we leave the state and see if I can get another doe and buck. She is BIG for her age and a total sweetie for a rabbit that got minimal handling as meat stock. She loves Juju. They have been bonding when we do hutch cleanings and 'Harley' is in the playpen.

74B6715A-270F-42A6-BF5B-35DC9BD42EA8_1_201_a.jpeg

@Grimm Hope everyone is all better quickly.
Adorable photo!

Roo and I have been using neti pots to help with the runny noses. Juju is nervous about the neti pot but I was able to get her to try it today and it seems to help her a lot. K is the baby in the family and will refuse medicine and therapeutics to feel better but whine about how bad he feels. So far everyone is feeling much better. I did have to go through everyone's laundry to find the missing hankies. K keeps them on his night stand.

Juju loves the rabbits. She thinks she is being slick when she opens the hutches to pet them. 'Harley' (because she is a harlequin colorization) is the only one who is pushy about coming out of the hutch and will head butt you until she can get out. She is a big girl and Juju has a bond with her. Harley licks her when they are in the playpen together.

What do you make your hankies out of? It’s one of the things on my list. We usually use bandana’s but I hesitate to carry them anymore in our area.

Cotton 'lawn' fabric is the standard for hankies. I didn't make ours though. I bought a bunch of 3 packs 20 years ago from the dollar store. That was fine when I made the switch from kleenex but I had to figure out where to get them for the rest of the family. Roo's are white scalloped edge hankies I got off etsy. I have a set for Juju and they will embroider their initials on them at some point. K's are from the closeout store near by that had a bunch of 100% cotton mens plaid hankies for pennies. I know you can get plain white ones or blue plaid from Target. If you look around you can get single white ones made by Hav A Hank at Hobby Lobby. You can find the white poly cotton blend Hav A Hank sets on ebay. I try to stay under a $1 a hankie if I buy them online. I recommend Hav A Hank because most of their products are made in the US. Be careful. Some are made in China and the hems will come unsewn.

The cold front I watched come through last night brought tornadoes with it. One about 6 miles west of me and passed south by about 6 miles. They are rare around here. That was the closest I have ever had around here.

It left us with a haze all day. A rain band delayed my start for the day. Eventually it settled in on a continual drizzle that I had to work through while planting garlic. Got it done but wer and cold.

I am glad I posted what I posted over the last few days because when it came time to documenting what i had planted. It is documented now.

I changed out out of the cold wet bibs and turned on the furnace for the first time this fall. I fixed a cover on the front of the kitchen sink The Princess was disturbed about to earn my keep.

The granddaughters are due later this evening.

Tomorrow we will meet with new potential tenant and possibly sign the lease agreement. That will make The Princess happy as well as let the rental property pay for the storage we want to add to store all of the gasoline powered vehicles and equipment.

Behave

Ben

Had a nice 72 degree day today. Went into the bigger town to Walmart, the bank, the pharmacy, Chic fil a, and to fill the last of the 20 lb propanes...5 of them. Picked some tomatoes and peppers, emptied and refilled the dehydrator, did 3 loads of laundry, and geesh. Sounds like yesterday. Neighbor's dog out chasing our guineas again, so she just got tied to a tree, and they came and got her. Twins just left for the football game tonight at the High School...they're in marching band.

@LadyLocust I banged up my foot and it hurts to walk on it. They gave me a prescription for pain meds. I know I posted this somewhere here. The swelling will go down once I'm off of it for the day. Bruised and sprained. And now I'm taking another one. I'll try to be quiet so I don't get in trouble with @Peanut . Just kidding.

Stayed a little late at work to change a couple guide shafts on my machine, and discuss some other maintenance issues with the mechanics. Then I decided to treat myself to Culver's for supper. If you don't live where there's a Culver's you need to move to where there is one!

Now, I'm back at the hotel reading up on how Alec Baldwin accidentally killed a crew member with a "prop gun" on the set of his latest movie. The irony of such a vocal anti gunner doing that is amazing to me...

Latest posts

Back