What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooray for those teens, Phideaux. That's a good day.
Went to the dentist. Need four fillings and a crown. I remember why I hate the dentist. They'll do half of it next week.
Did chores, did the shopping. Great stock up deals at Krogers this week, mostly canned foods, and I had coupons for a lot of them. They had 49 cent canned veggies, but were pretty much out of them. No corn, no peas. Last case of green beans.
Husband and I went and had our fingerprints done when he got off work. A step closer to getting our granddaughter.

I won at Bingo last night.
Won enough to finish paying off and picking up my new laptop tomorrow.
Won enough to go out to lunch with both cousins.
Also won enough to play next week too.

Do you ever lose at Bingo? ;)

Rainy , dreary day on the homestead today.
Wife went to Women's Bible study.
When she gets back I gotta be ready to go . We go to lunch somewhere in town , then to Rural King for some furnace filters and salt pellets for water softener, other odds and ends. Getting everything in order for knee surgery , and my down time.

Then to Court House for supporting the 3 teens , we wish were ours, :) as they will officially be adopted today.
Oldest girl is 17 , then boy and girl twins are 16. They have been fostered for years, but with our friends for past 3 years, and like our own GKs. Now we can have them over as much as we want to, without restrictions.

Long day , but will be productive.

Oh, I forgot, a party for the kids , to celebrate, tonight at 6 pm.

Jim

Worked on the wheel chair ramp this morning, got a lot done. I fed the bees some sugar water, turned the chickens out and got more of the carpet back down (floor mopped with TSP to prevent mold). I hope to have all the carpet back down by the end of the day... and to think I was sure I had lost it all after the flood. :)

Off to the big box store this afternoon... need two bags of quickcrete and a few other goodies.

Yesterday we washed the dishes and I wiped them and put them away. We sorted out lemon juice cubes and put them in a container from juicing our lemons from our tree.

We had a cooking day and made a quadruple batch of granola and a double batch of chocolate chip coconut biscuits. Went and met the new next door neighbours and took them some freshly baked biscuits, the poor things looked exhausted and are still moving things in. Did an online order with 15% off for some movies DH wanted, some pizza trays we needed and some cups for the car and will pick them up today.

Hooray for those teens, Phideaux. That's a good day.
Went to the dentist. Need four fillings and a crown. I remember why I hate the dentist. They'll do half of it next week.
Did chores, did the shopping. Great stock up deals at Krogers this week, mostly canned foods, and I had coupons for a lot of them. They had 49 cent canned veggies, but were pretty much out of them. No corn, no peas. Last case of green beans.
Husband and I went and had our fingerprints done when he got off work. A step closer to getting our granddaughter.
When they are out like that, will they give you a rain check? A few of the stores around here will. Just let them know how many cases of each you want, they list the price and you provide it next time you're in.

Bit of a rough day around here. By 6:35 AM, I was ready to go back to bed and try again tomorrow. It's just one day, and nothing devastating, but am sure looking forward to the weekend. Also, effects of time change still working their wonders on me - grumble. I'm thinking by Monday I should be in the swing of this time.

Picked up my items from Rural King.

Had a little lunch.

Spent 1 1/2 hrs waiting before we all got called in to court room to see judge and she signed off the adoption of all 3 kids,
Congrats went all around...
Took maybe 15 minutes.

Went and had celebratory cake and ice cream (which I passed on ).
Got home about 7:30.

Long day.

Jim

Last edited:
I finished the flooring of the wheel chair ramp this morning, still needs railing and a few other items, railings cut along with upper edge radi cut, just needs installed. My mom’s knee replacement surgery is early in the morning… It’ll be at least 2 weeks before they allow her back home so I have plenty of time to finish the ramp.

I got all the carpet back down in my bedroom. It has one little dirty spot I couldn’t hide, probably got it when it was draped over half the shop drying for a couple of days. I applied carpet cleaning foam, drying now, fingers crossed.

The big surprise is that after getting soaked in the flood the carpet actually shrank. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to hide the seams as well as I did when it was new. For those who might not remember… bedroom 12x12… I got carpet remnants of the same carpet… One piece 12x7 and then 3 smaller pieces… There was one little bare spot which I hid under the bed. It’s 1 inch wider now. It’s still far better than what I had before, an $800 carpet for $130, I’ll take that deal all day.

I went to the big town, raining, which is always bad news at rush hour. Picked up 200lbs of horse and chicken feed, 160lbs of quickcrete and then bulky groceries. My extended cab pickup was packed. There was barely room for the Popeye’s fried chicken dinner I picked up on the way home.

Exhausted, more so than normal. Once the carpet cleaner dries I’ll vacuum it up but that’s it for the evening. I’m toast!

Had the grand daughter this today.
We did something different today.
We made Pumpkin Bread from scratch.
She's such a good stirrer for a 2 year old.
Hardest part was keeping her from tasting each and every ingredient.
But she has Pumpkin mix in her hair, on her left eyebrow.
But we had fun.
She stood in front of oven door, squatted down(she didn't have too), watching the Pumpkin Bread bake.
Pumpkin Bread was good fresh out of oven with pat of butter. YUM!
She got a cookbook out of the cabinet this afternoon.
She was looking at the pictures to see what we can bake next time.
I'm going to try Caramels tomorrow.
Trying to get idea what will be in my Christmas gift baskets.

Had the grand daughter this today.
We did something different today.
We made Pumpkin Bread from scratch.
She's such a good stirrer for a 2 year old.
Hardest part was keeping her from tasting each and every ingredient.
But she has Pumpkin mix in her hair, on her left eyebrow.
But we had fun.
She stood in front of oven door, squatted down(she didn't have too), watching the Pumpkin Bread bake.
Pumpkin Bread was good fresh out of oven with pat of butter. YUM!
She got a cookbook out of the cabinet this afternoon.
She was looking at the pictures to see what we can bake next time.
I'm going to try Caramels tomorrow.
Trying to get idea what will be in my Christmas gift baskets.
Homemade caramels are delicious! Warning, you might not ever want store bought again.

Today we had another medical appointment and DH had to go in to see about his ingrown toenail and he decided to get an xray done on his hips this time as he is having a lot of pain with them as well. Again the trip was paid for by DVA as well as lunch out which we had Subway foot longs and a soft drink each.

The results will get sent to the orthopedic surgeon where DH has an appointment in beginning of December with who now have his upper back x ray, blood tests, head and neck angiograms and now his hip x-ray shortly.

We stopped off and picked up our online order of pizza trays, dvd's and plastic cups for the cars, picked up another free sample I got to try as a supermarket tester and tic tacs that were on super special. I then went to a discount store and bought some birthday and gift cards I got for Relief Society as we are going to give each lady a signed birthday card with messages from each Sister on their birthdays of which I am in charge of organising being the secretary. I will be reimbursed for the cost of the cards from church.

Yesterday we thought we would top up on fuel but apparently it is at a high price cycle so we will wait for it to go down considerably in price before we do that as we have a few jerry cans to fill. We saw Swamp wallaby today and he came and asked us for more food so he got 2 big handfuls of his favourite shrubbery and two apples we cut up for him. Poor old thing he is still looking quite thin on it but we will work on him to fatten him up a bit although being the age he is he might be not long for this world.

Tonight's dinner was the other 1/3 rd of our homemade quiche and dessert was ice- cream.

Getting ready for my trip to the hospital ,to get registered and ekg, and all the stuff they do pre surgery.

The wife needs to go to Dollar tree for some of those gift bags.

Then going to my friend's house to help him with an electrical problem.

Then late , late lunch or early supper.

Retirement is .....well...retirement.

Jim

Getting ready for my trip to the hospital ,to get registered and ekg, and all the stuff they do pre surgery.

The wife needs to go to Dollar tree for some of those gift bags.

Then going to my friend's house to help him with an electrical problem.

Then late , late lunch or early supper.

Retirement is .....well...retirement.

Jim
Good luck Jim

My total right knee replacement has been moved up a few weeks.
So instead of January 9th will be looking right after Christmas.
Right knee isn't supporting me very well right now.
Playing on the new laptop.
Learning all the ins and outs.
I got the internet set up on new laptop by myself.
Me thinks all is not well with son and his lady.
Her middle daughter gave me her Christmas list yesterday.
I looked at it wrote comments on it, gave it back to her.
My comments po'd the mom.
Everything on this kid's list was over $500 each item.
Number 1 comment was 6 year old doesn't need newest IPhone especially from me.
I don't even have IPhone, don't particularly want one either.
Besides the games I got you for your birthday from your must have list is on the shelf of your closet.
Never played with.
My budget is $20 per kid.PERIOD!
Her comment was if it was for Estelle(grand daughter) my budget would be unlimited.
Nope, $20 for Christmas, birthday etc.
Besides your bratty kids(this comment po'd her too) aren't my grandchildren.
Then she made one comment to many.
Told her point blank, most LEO work for their promotions.
They show their supervisors that they are willing to go the extra mile to get promoted.
You have been a Patrol Officer for more than 10 years. She doesn't do anything like that.
Maybe you should find different line of work, because obviously being a Good Police Officer isn't in your future.
Grand daughter came back home with me.
Told her I am point blank honest, when I first met her cuts down on lot of BS in the future.
Been playing on new laptop.
Thanks for letting me rant.
Strawberry seems to think she needs to go outside.

I save all year to buy things I want or need.
Already started saving for new washer and dryer.
Now that I got the new laptop off my wish list.
I didn't ask oldest son to help pay for laptop, even though Granny and grand daughter broke it.
Cause I knew he couldn't afford it.
When my boys were small, their birthday and Christmas budgets were $25 for each.
Now that they're grown men with lives of their own, I buy or make family gifts.
That $500 per gift on her list and she had 20 gifts on that list would pay off my car and then some.
Everybody is for a rude awaking this Christmas.
I figure by Christmas, I will have new washer and dryer, because she won't be able to keep up with the payments.
Buying things on time(credit) is not in your best interest.
They borrowed money from me last week.
She got paid yesterday.
To me logical thing would have been paid me back.
Nope, wasted money on frivious things instead.
She dang sure didn't buy food.
Instead she bought each of her kids a new outfit apiece x 3.
New toy apiece x 3.
Getting ready to start laundry.

Told her point blank, most LEO work for their promotions.
They show their supervisors that they are willing to go the extra mile to get promoted.
You have been a Patrol Officer for more than 10 years. She doesn't do anything like that.
Maybe you should find different line of work, because obviously being a Good Police Officer isn't in your future.

I just met with a very frustrated patrol officer the other day who after 8 year and no promotions came to complain that he was being mistreated. I made it clear that we don't promote based on who "feels" like they deserve it or who comes in claiming they are ready to be promoted. We promote those who demonstrate that they are ready and then reaffirm that by their attitudes, teamwork, reliability, work ethic, etc. Something he falls short on regularly.

As far as Christmas goes, we budget quite a bit. However their gifts are consistent: each child gets a pair of pajamas, a book or stationary or similar, one fun item valued around $25-35, something from Santa, some stocking stuffers and some kind of treat or treats. Then we give them an "experience". Last year we spent a long weekend in a hotel suite in a nearby city where we went to a zoo, went to a movie, a nature park, a museum, a science center, did some shopping, attended a play, etc. It was not inexpensive, but it was more about the time together then some expensive gift they would outgrow or set a side a month or two after Christmas. Their grandparents give them things like memberships to the aquatic center, put money in their college funds, buy them books, etc.

@MoBookworm1957 Wonder what they would do if you donated to a needy child (something like socks or shoes or a coat that are often asked for) and gave them the little note that "they" donated to another child?
We keep gifts pretty minimal. We actually have a $10 limit across the board. We often make a handmade item or find a little something throughout the year. It's not about the gifts! Children expecting gifts is disgraceful. They would all do well to read the Foxfire Christmas book. Made me even more grateful.

Christmas is out of hand with some of these young people. The grandson who lives with us wants everything, always! When he gets something he wants (badly) for a gift, or saves for it, he is not interested in it after a very short time. He tells me all the time all of his "wants". I tell him to put it on his Christmas list, or save for it. Allowances can't be spent after October ($5 a week) they have to be used to buy small family Christmas gifts. So his wants change all the time. His twin sister isn't like that at all. I collect lists of Christmas wishes after Thanksgiving. Our two other grandsons who live locally give me a list when I see them on Thanksgiving. Anything electronic, or over $50 gets crossed off. I tell the boys to ask their mom for high priced items or electronics, but not granny or papa. About three years ago, I remember a grandson opening the two gifts we bought for him. Then he said, "Is this all?" We had spent $75 on each grandchild. The next year we dropped it to $50. This year will be about $50. The twins and granddaughter who is coming to live with us will get more, since they do not have parents that buy for them, it's just us. Then we buy for our adult kids, but we have a limit. Our big deal around here is planning cookie making day. It's all day, starting in the morning, and includes easy lunch and
dinner. All the grandkids come over and we bake all day. Lots of fun, lots of mess, but everyone loves it and we always set the date for it when we get together for Thanksgiving.
Went to brunch with husband today. The CPS California group called and scheduled a conference call for next Thursday for our granddaughter's status. Closed out our business checking accts and credit cards. Romanian guy came by and bought me out of eggs. Have been hunting mice with some great boxes I ordered online. Think they're called tin can cat or something like that. They work great, have them in the animal runs, but tricky to empty without the mice getting out. I quickly dump them in a big bucket of water, but if I'm not quick enough, some hop out. Just stick a bit of cheese in them, and they can hold a number of mice.

Back