What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need ideas on how to safely attach horns(plastic, or fabric stuffed) to little leather cap, for "Warrior" princess outfit.
She's such a little warrior, so Granny has sewn a leather skirt, shirt for her but haven't figure out Viking hat.

Can't help you with that Mobook. But Viking hat rang a bell, I was just watching news video about Poland,Russia connection or should I say dis-connection. And it said Poles and Russians are both Slav's.
I thought the the Slav's were more on the Viking Celtic side than the Franks aka Russians. So now I have to research.
Anyway, have fun with the little G-daughters out fit.

Yesterday started off the morning with putting on a load of washing in the washing machine and hanging it on the clothes line to dry.

We then went to the RSL club where DH, I and a few locals and the RSL president prepared the meats in trays for the Christmas party which will be at lunch time today. DH and another committee member added some Christmas paper to a wheelbarrow for gifts for everyone today and they loaded the wheelbarrow with gifts. The President makes a donation to one of the local charities and they gave him some food hampers for some of the pensioners in our community who do it hard so they will take it home with them today to help out with expenses. I set up the sliced turkey and ham meat trays and they looked wonderful when I finished. One lady put on the cling wrap on all the trays of meat and they I put them in the fridge and two of us washed up and dried up and cleaned all the meal prep areas. There will be a Christmas raffle too to earn some money for the club as they are a not for profit organisation and we are expecting 62 people who have paid for Christmas lunch.

Got home and dinner was sausages, eggs and fried mushrooms.

This morning having our hot chocolates to wake up and then at 10 am we will head to the RSL to cut up and prep all of the salads and fruit for platters for the day and back home and get dressed before we go to the community Christmas Party. One of the locals will be Santa and he has a nice loud voice which will be a challenge for DH along with the general raise in noise levels as people get more alcoholic drinks into them so we will see how he goes with his PTSD and learned coping mechanisms so I will keep an eye on him.

Last edited:
Good to see you @Grimm and glad you are settling into your new home well and have a wonderful family trip organised shortly.

@MoBookworm1957 glad granddaughter is on the mend and back to her usual self again it must be a relief for you as I know you were very worried.
Yes I was.
I wan't worried, I was terrified we were going to lose her.

I don't like the frozen crap either. Older g daughter said in Frozen 2 one of the ladies is gay. Tired of it all. Let kids be.
Little granddaughter wanted a princess castle lego set, so we got her the Sleeping Beauty one, not the frozen one.

Actually, we went and saw Frozen 2 last weekend. Neither of the main characters is gay. The whole storyline is about trusting in your own self and those you care about. Basically, sisters being there for each other. The liberals tried to push Disney into giving one of the sisters a gay love interest in this movie. Funny thing about all the liberal jumping on that bandwagon after the trailers came out is the female character they all said was a gay love interest turns out to be a flashback of the sisters' MOTHER!

Disney may be a progressive company that protects their gay employees but they know their profits comes from the conservative majority. They would be signing their death warrant if they let the liberals push them into promoting the liberal agenda.
Making grand daughter's Christmas gifts at least the ones I have patterns for or have figured out by looking at pictures.
Her daddy's lady's daughters don't share their toys.
They just buy 2 of everything in pink and purple.
By the way I really dislike "Frozen" Princess crap.
You guessed it.
I'm cutting out capes in light green satin and hunter green satin.
The light green cape will have irdscindent organiza (shiny,light reflective overlay) overlay.
The hunter green cape with matching dress with have fake diamonds and seed pearls hand sewn on.
Getting ready to sew the light green cape together now.
It's all cut out, pinned together etc.
Got her shiny silver tiara too.
Good thing got dress pattern and cape pattern I can use for Halloween too.
Got felt food cut out for her play kitchen, just need to stuff the sunny side up eggs, toast,pancakes.
Painting the wooden eggs tomorrow.
Son's lady kids are getting pillowcases for their beds, curtain valances.
I already have the fabric.
Still PO'd about the must have birthday list gifts that are in the closet on shelf, never played with.
Those gifts weren't even opened.

I am trying to finish up young "Elsa/Anna" dresses for Roo and Juju for Disneyland in 8 days. I designed the dresses from scratch and have been gathering fabric for over a year. Right now I have the pinafores 90% done. Then I just have the blouses to sew and dye with the tights. I have fabric for caplets but I might not get those done.
latest

Need ideas on how to safely attach horns(plastic, or fabric stuffed) to little leather cap, for "Warrior" princess outfit.
She's such a little warrior, so Granny has sewn a leather skirt, shirt for her but haven't figure out Viking hat.

Mo,
I can think of a couple of ways to attach fabric or plastic horns to the hat/helmet.
1. put holes where the horns go and insert from inside the hat. You can glue or stitch them in place with tabs cut at the bottom of the horns. Stuff the horns and glue a patch over the bottom to keep the stuffing in.
2. make the pattern for the horns with a gathered base area. Sew the unstitched pattern base to the hat (no holes this time) so the pucker of the gathered base hides the stitching. then stitch the pattern into the horn shape and stuff as you go.

If I was there to see it I might be able to come up with other ways but this is just from the mental image I got from your description. I hope it helps!

We are still unpacking from the recent move, decoration the house for the holidays AND packing our bags for the big Disney trip at Christmas.

Sounds like fun! But better you than me. :p

Actually, we went and saw Frozen 2 last weekend.

My wife took our younger daughters on the Friday after Thanksgiving, after getting a review from our neighbor. They enjoyed the movie and said the PC crap was very minimal too.

Nice to see you around Grimm!

image.jpeg
Grimm!!!!! Welcome back. :huggs:Glad you found a place. I know when we were looking the cleanliness thing was a huge issue - as you said, they wouldn't clean it prior to moving in but expected it to be kept etc. One place was really eeewww. It must be a relief other than the schedule for the next few weeks :)
@MoBookworm1957 sounds a little funny, but I have used a thin plastic- those plastic envelopes to be specific- sewn into the project for stability. Maybe on the inside of "hat" part with horns on the outside- just trying to think of something???
We got a spruce this year. I had to take a pix from a funny angle or it's just a silhouette.

A few days ago I mentioned that we were scheduled to take our Sienna in for an oil change, that didn't work out as a technician found that the oil pan drain bolt felt like it was striping when he tried to take it out and they didn't have a new pan in parts, anyway they rescheduled the oil change for yesterday and we got a new pan with no charge and the only thing we had to deal with is that it was raining cats and dogs yesterday. We did get one thing done on Wednesday and that was a new cabin filter in the heating/AC unit. The Grants Pass Toyota dealership is one of the best dealers I've dealt with over the years, especially considering that the 2005 Sienna and 2007 Tundra were high mile used vehicles, way out of warranty. The Sienna has over 182,000 miles on it and the Tundra has over 245,000 on it and they both run like new, these vehicles are a blessing to us and will probably be the last ones we'll every own.

Mo,
I can think of a couple of ways to attach fabric or plastic horns to the hat/helmet.
1. put holes where the horns go and insert from inside the hat. You can glue or stitch them in place with tabs cut at the bottom of the horns. Stuff the horns and glue a patch over the bottom to keep the stuffing in.
2. make the pattern for the horns with a gathered base area. Sew the unstitched pattern base to the hat (no holes this time) so the pucker of the gathered base hides the stitching. then stitch the pattern into the horn shape and stuff as you go.

If I was there to see it I might be able to come up with other ways but this is just from the mental image I got from your description. I hope it helps!
Thank you for the information.
Will try this in smaller version, then go to work on regular version.

Jake and I hung trim on our little apartment in my workshop and my wife followed caulking and painting. I think we will finish up the job tomorrow except for granite counter tops and blinds. Sometime this winter I’ll build a nice shower and remodel the bathroom it’s kind of basic at the moment. I think this little project is going to end up pretty nice with less than a $1000 in the whole project and make a cozy private suite for when we have guests. I’ll post the rest of it when I finish up tomorrow. This is before and after living room.
03BC136F-0F2A-4965-A644-642DA12D7EC0.png
89DC8459-52BC-4C4F-925A-995992CB684A.jpeg
C73AF516-EAE6-4BF3-929B-1F29EFA7093F.jpeg

Wow Hash (& Jake and Mrs.). That looks great! My grandparents had that same panther on a low table in front of the picture window. We would have to move the panther so we could sit on the table and watch the lightening. The Sierra Nevada's have great lightening. Memory lane - thanks.
@viking Glad you got it taken care of. I actually think nearly any rig reasonably driven and properly maintained will last a long time. We have a '99 Sierra pickup with just shy of 400k miles. Still Rollin'. Sounds like you'll be getting that sort of mileage too.

Wow Hash (& Jake and Mrs.). That looks great! My grandparents had that same panther on a low table in front of the picture window. We would have to move the panther so we could sit on the table and watch the lightening. The Sierra Nevada's have great lightening. Memory lane - thanks.
@viking Glad you got it taken care of. I actually think nearly any rig reasonably driven and properly maintained will last a long time. We have a '99 Sierra pickup with just shy of 400k miles. Still Rollin'. Sounds like you'll be getting that sort of mileage too.

Thanks I just sit down its been a long day! I have had that panther for at least 35 years! I don't even remember where I got it now.

I didn’t get as much done as I hoped. I managed to get the mini-greenhouse together, got all the leaves blown off the porch to have a place to put it.

The last hour… I had an ink pen explode in a clothes dryer. What a mess! I got all the ink spots and 90% of the rest out with acetone but it gave me a horrible headache. For the light blue stain that’s left I think I’ll try stain remover for clothes. It does work but not as well as acetone so maybe it’ll tidy up the rest.

Tomorrow is a prescription run for the folks so maybe I can sleep some when this headache wears off.

I didn’t get as much done as I hoped. I managed to get the mini-greenhouse together, got all the leaves blown off the porch to have a place to put it.

The last hour… I had an ink pen explode in a clothes dryer. What a mess! I got all the ink spots and 90% of the rest out with acetone but it gave me a horrible headache. For the light blue stain that’s left I think I’ll try stain remover for clothes. It does work but not as well as acetone so maybe it’ll tidy up the rest.

Tomorrow is a prescription run for the folks so maybe I can sleep some when this headache wears off.
Peanut maybe try one of these when dealing with fumes or toxic dust. We have a couple respirators just for that purpose.

71KcFx1MviL._SL1256_.jpg

JOLIN Dual Anti-Dust Spray Paint Industrial Chemical Gas Respirator Mask & Glasses Set
by JOLIN
48 ratings

| 30 answered questions

Price: $21.99 FREE Shipping on

Cheap hair spray gets ink out of clothes (like Aquanet). I keep a can with my laundry things for that very purpose.

Our kitchen and dining room look like a makeshift Christmas confectionery and bakery. Something that will continue today. So far they made toffee, caramels, turtles, gingerbread cookies, and white fudge shortbread cookies. After church they will get to it again. Today is more turtles then pretzel rods drizzled with milk chocolate, white chocolate, and then rolled in crushed toffee pieces as well as red velvet Christmas cookies. All this means for me is a whole lot of standing at a sink washing things. I am sure we will also get in a movie today too. The movie Abominable has been sitting on our media server for a week now.

I have some aprons to get made for Christmas gifts, daughter's request for her friends.

Cleaning and decluttering, never ends!

I had two long conversations yesterday with older men, my 88 year old uncle and and 86 year old man in Nebraska who does genealogy research for people in my grandfather's home town. Great grandfather was a millionaire, and there had to have been photos taken, but there aren't any around. My theories are that either the wicked step mother destroyed them or they were destroyed when my great aunt died and her house was emptied. There were two photographers in the town and their collections of images are in a museum that is now run by a person that many locals want nothing to do with. I just keep searching out all potential possibilities. The collections of photographs that belonged to the two photographers were not labeled, so it would take someone going through them and recognizing them. Trying to figure out when I might be able to go there and go through them.

Our kitchen and dining room look like a makeshift Christmas confectionery and bakery. Something that will continue today. So far they made toffee, caramels, turtles, gingerbread cookies, and white fudge shortbread cookies. After church they will get to it again. Today is more turtles then pretzel rods drizzled with milk chocolate, white chocolate, and then rolled in crushed toffee pieces as well as red velvet Christmas cookies. All this means for me is a whole lot of standing at a sink washing things. I am sure we will also get in a movie today too. The movie Abominable has been sitting on our media server for a week now.
Too bad you live so far away. I'd stop in, you know just to say hello.:)

Too bad you live so far away. I'd stop in, you know just to say hello.:)

Ironically our oldest son suddenly came home today to do laundry and our oldest daughter suddenly stopped by to talk about Christmas. Hmmmmm.

So today marks the end of a 16 years of me serving my church: 4 years as head usher, 4 years on the church council, 4 years as the president of the corporation, and 4 years as chairman of the budget & finance committee. I was asked to serve again on the church council but advised that it was time for me to take some time off as my wife felt lead to serve on the council instead as the head of women's ministries. Today I received a very nice card from the pastoral staff which contained a very generous gift card to a local gun store. Now I need to figure out what I want to buy. I suppose I should pray on it. :)

Been busy trying to finish the home build, working on the built ins in the den. It’s getting close, and might be able,to move in the first week or two of January. Sidewalks and the pad outside the garage are in, and the stone around the exterior walls was installed.
0EE8077C-CE27-46F8-97DE-C4BEB98DD1F9.jpeg

Main headache now is that the cabinets were delivered and installed but were a dark gray instead of the white we ordered. The company did step up once we showed proof that we really had ordered what we said we did and we have a couple paths to get it right. The flooring and trim is done, painters in for the next couple weeks and then lighting and plumbing fixtures and it is time to move!

The last couple days I’ve been building cutting boards out of some scrap walnut and apiece of maple for Christmas presents. Those are simple and rewarding projects.
C503439C-A98D-4EAD-8411-F15B43111305.jpeg

Christmas function went off so well at the RSL club and everyone had a wonderful time. We pulled off two courses quite seamlessly and everyone had ample to eat and all the guests chipped in to help tidy up after themselves. Their was a huge family with multiple teens who won the Christmas hamper raffle so that was nice to see the huge hamper went to someone who would use it.

As usual we ate enough food to last us the day and didn't have dinner and met a couple who moved in in April who live two doors up from us. Poor lady was walking her dog near the local convenience store and startled a grey kangaroo as she walked around the corner and it attacked her and she has deep scratches all the way down her back and arms as it attacked her from the back fortunately only with it's front paw claws. One of the locals heard her scream and ran out and chased off the kangaroo and did first aid and drove her and her dog home. She is very fortunate that the kangaroo didn't attack from the front and use it's back paw long claws otherwise she would have been devoid of a few bodily organs.

This morning heading to DH's physiotherapy appointment and will do a little fruit shopping.

Latest posts

Back