What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the younger kids to bed after putting out some cookies and milk for Santa. Sent the older kids to the basement to wind down, sans one who just left for his girlfriends house. Now Mrs. Claus and I have a little work to do so we can go to sleep. Leaving town at 6am to travel 90 miles to see my parents and celebrate the birth of Christ Jesus. My Mom has a big bone-in ham ready to cook in the roaster and my wife has 10 dozen turtles boxed up. I plan to come home fat and happy tomorrow night.

I hope you all have a blessed and joyous Christmas!

Wife and I are spending tonight alone in my oldest son's house. We are babysitting his pets. They are spending Christmas at the in-laws. Youngest son is spending Christmas at his in-laws. So just wife and I are all alone until all the kids come back. But it's all good. Soon we will all be together again.
Merry Christmas at all!

Baked another 4 or 5 dozen cookies this morning and packaged most of them. Some went to a hospice close to the house and the rest go to my BIL's tomorrow. Made chicken salad for today's meal and made part of tomorrow's oriental stir fry. Tomorrow, I will air fry some battered cauliflower to add to the mix. Mostly just took it easy today and watched Wonder Woman. Perfect weather outside so we sat out for more than an hour. So strange still not to have the goats there.

Merry Christmas to all You all!

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night! (Guess what I'm watching...)

leg.jpg

Last edited:
Today I went to the grocery store to pick up the stuff the wife needed to make her pumpkin pie. Got home, then turned around and went back to the store to get the pumpkin that I forgot. Came home, had a cup of coffee, then back to the grocery store to get the Cool Whip that I didn't think about. That was my day. The grocery is closed now, and I don't know what to do with myself.

Well, our Christmas plans came crashing down like Rosie O'Donnell at an ice skating rink. Unexpected over night freezing drizzle and morning fog caused a number of cars to find their way into ditches and a few serious motor vehicle accidents. We made it about 7-8 miles down the road when we decided we were not going to risk it and came back home. Slippery roads are much more dangerous when visibility is also extremely limited and the conditions aren't supposed to improve in time to make the trip feasible. Fortunately my oldest sister and her husband/kids made it to the folks yesterday so they will still have a nice Christmas with family. Of course we had no meal plans for today and nothing thawed out, plus there are very few if any places open around here, so we had to get creative. The Mrs. decided to put together a broccoli, ham, and cheese quiche for lunch and I will be grilling up some German sausage with spatzel and kraut for dinner. Now we are debating which Christmas movies to watch. We have a new animated movie called Klaus, so that will one of them. We will also watch a classic movie like the 1940's "Shop Around the Corner" or the 1950's "White Christmas". We might also go sledding and will surely get out some board games. Our plans might have changed, but I have no intentions on allowing this Christmas being anything less than fun!

Well, our Christmas plans came crashing down like Rosie O'Donnell at an ice skating rink. Unexpected over night freezing drizzle and morning fog caused a number of cars to find their way into ditches and a few serious motor vehicle accidents. We made it about 7-8 miles down the road when we decided we were not going to risk it and came back home. Slippery roads are much more dangerous when visibility is also extremely limited and the conditions aren't supposed to improve in time to make the trip feasible. Fortunately my oldest sister and her husband/kids made it to the folks yesterday so they will still have a nice Christmas with family. Of course we had no meal plans for today and nothing thawed out, plus there are very few if any places open around here, so we had to get creative. The Mrs. decided to put together a broccoli, ham, and cheese quiche for lunch and I will be grilling up some German sausage with spatzel and kraut for dinner. Now we are debating which Christmas movies to watch. We have a new animated movie called Klaus, so that will one of them. We will also watch a classic movie like the 1940's "Shop Around the Corner" or the 1950's "White Christmas". We might also go sledding and will surely get out some board games. Our plans might have changed, but I have no intentions on allowing this Christmas being anything less than fun!
Bummer! Will you be able to go in the next week or so?

I remember those freezing rains when I was in school in Kansas City. One year the semester was over and I had a 16 hour drive back to South Dakota. I got up early to an ice coating everywhere. It took me close to an hour to scrape the windows in the car before I could skate out of the parking lot.

Bummer! Will you be able to go in the next week or so?

Such is the nature of living in the Midwest. We embrace it. As the meme @phideaux posted said "If you don't find joy in the snow, you will have less joy but the same amount of snow". Or in this case ice. We will make the trip either Saturday or New Years Day, depending on the weather.

We had our celebration party last night, as we have for many years. There were 8 of us. Swedish meatballs were the best we've ever had. It was a great time, but I was exhausted as was daughter. I have two dog guests at my house and we will go to the dog park in a few minutes. We will spend about two hours there as one of the dogs turned one in November and has lots of energy. Daughter and I may get together later, but no guarantees. No problem. Many years she was in North Dakota for Christmas and would be there now if her grandparents or dad were still living.

Today I went to the grocery store to pick up the stuff the wife needed to make her pumpkin pie. Got home, then turned around and went back to the store to get the pumpkin that I forgot. Came home, had a cup of coffee, then back to the grocery store to get the Cool Whip that I didn't think about. That was my day. The grocery is closed now, and I don't know what to do with myself.

Haertig, maaybe it is good the stores are closed.Hubby forgets what he went for and comes home with all kind of things he likes.:)

This granny is exhausted.
Got a wake up call at 0730 hours this morning.
Oldest son and his lady( her kids) were up.
Off to their house I go.
Then he went and got grand daughter.
Opening presents commenced.
Granny is now home listening to the silence.
Strawberry has been outside several times.
Granny is resting , sipping coffee.

Went to one of my Uncles for lunch today. My aunt and 2 or their 3 kids, 3 of their grandkids and 1 great grand kid, And all my family was there. One uncle couldn't make it or any of his family. His wife woke up with her heart racing. Took her to hospital and her BP was 220/120, heartrate at 150+. She got admitted of course. Probably going to end up with a pacemaker. We missed having them there.

Been partying with kids and grandkids since afternoon Christmas eve. Three grandkids that come over are wild things. Husband escaped into the bedroom to take a nap at some point. Two large dinners and a morning breakfast cooked and we're somewhat cleaned up. Heading to the farm in the morning. Son is off work for the week, so he'll be here with all the animals. Somewhat packed. After sending everyone home with Tupperware filled up, I packed up the other dinner leftovers and it'll go with us. No internet on at the farm this week, so I hope everyone has a good one!

Merry Christmas everyone and as with all best laid plans there are contingency plans in place for everything @Sentry18 and no doubt your family will still have a wonderful day :) . Christmas Eve we got 2.6 mm of rain which filled the rainwater tanks a little.

We are on Boxing Day being 12 - 18 hours ahead of all of you there here in Australia so we have already celebrated Christmas yesterday :) . Spent the day with DH and we had already purchased our presents for each other earlier. We had cold meats being ham and chicken we had cooked earlier with pasta salad for dinner with a salted caramel sponge pudding with custard for dessert and for lunch cold roast beef and Swiss cheese on homemade bread for lunch with lovely ice cold watermelon for fruit.

DH washed up the dishes, cleaned the benches and I wiped and put all the dishes away. We then spent some time outdoors in the gardens and separated out the lettuce plants growing to close together and replanted them next to other drippers and weeded the garden bed as well. I watered the potted fruit plants and filled up the kangaroo/wallaby water with rainwater I saved that dripped off the tank stand shed in containers. I then did some price checking between local stores for the 2 air conditioners we are buying for the home and printed out a cheaper price from another store as the store we are going to price match.

Today so far we have transferred money across from our savings account to our working account to buy the air conditioners with hopefully tomorrow if the money makes it by then. Other than that we have been relaxing so far and had nice cold watermelon for part of our fruit today for lunch and will shortly have some sandwiches. I have also purchased a grocery gift card from our roadside assist club to save 5%.

Mrs. Sentry18 has to work today (boooo) but the rest of us are home (yay). As you can imagine a couple days of merriment & festivities have taken their toll on our home. So we are going to spend part of the morning collecting trash, organizing, vacuuming, dusting, etc. and then the kids need to clean their rooms. We also need to recover from the excessive carb consumption over the last 2 days (ugh). So I am going to skip lunch and smoke + grill a big pork loin for dinner. Will probably make up some grilled veggie skewers to go with it.

I am also hoping to start watching the 2nd season of Lost In Space too.

Latest posts

Back