What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Expecting the holiday blizzard of 2019 this weekend. 12 to 36" depending on the track of the storm. Oh boy. The only thing we're low on is cat food...we'll need to get that today, lest the cats decide that we're what's for dinner.

Had a great Christmas eve dinner and celebration with extended family....grand kids and all...My daughter cooked up her southern type of cooking she learned from her ex husband's grandma in Chicago...fried chicken, baked mac and cheese, collard greens cooked with a smoked turkey leg, cornbread, shrimp, and a bunch of appetizer dips...spinach, artichoke, etc...we laughed a lot. A lot of sweets, which I avoid.

Expecting the holiday blizzard of 2019 this weekend. 12 to 36" depending on the track of the storm. Oh boy. The only thing we're low on is cat food...we'll need to get that today, lest the cats decide that we're what's for dinner.

Had a great Christmas eve dinner and celebration with extended family....grand kids and all...My daughter cooked up her southern type of cooking she learned from her ex husband's grandma in Chicago...fried chicken, baked mac and cheese, collard greens cooked with a smoked turkey leg, cornbread, shrimp, and a bunch of appetizer dips...spinach, artichoke, etc...we laughed a lot. A lot of sweets, which I avoid.
Glad you had a good Christmas. That's a lot of snow!!! Snow shovel in good working order?

My Chief Financial Officer (aka wife) came home for lunch with some incredible news. Thanks to Trump's economy and some amazing management on her part, her overall investments saw a rate return of 28% in 2019. That puts her at a 3 year average in the high teens. Needless to say she commented that she is really praying for a Trump victory in 2020. And since I am hoping that she will be able to retire when she is 50, I am too!

Christmas has been packed away for another year.
Very little on the bay of the big bay window.
Plants are happy where they are now.
Might just leave it cleared for awhile.
Had a wonderful Christmas.
Made lots of memories.
Getting excited this time next week I will have new right knee.
Might have to go dancing when all healed up.
Might have to get refresher course on jitterbug.
Signed up for next cooking class.
Just being lazy today, snuggled under my new fleece blanket with moose and grand kids hand prints on it.
Tomorrow will be busy with laundry, dishes, cooking up homemade tv dinners.
But today Strawberry and I are kicked back relaxing.
Yesterday's temp was 65* today's temp 36*.

Went to one of my Uncles for lunch today. My aunt and 2 or their 3 kids, 3 of their grandkids and 1 great grand kid, And all my family was there. One uncle couldn't make it or any of his family. His wife woke up with her heart racing. Took her to hospital and her BP was 220/120, heartrate at 150+. She got admitted of course. Probably going to end up with a pacemaker. We missed having them there.

BacP, Hope the aunts BP goes down and no pacemaker

All the Christmas decorations are down and put away. I had some time to punch out a couple hundred rounds of ammo, fix and eat lunch, and have a long telephone conversation with a good friend from Seattle.
Not bad for the first day after Christmas. I did have to do a little cleanup in the shop before reloading but I am ready to do more reloading.

Just taking a minute to let my body react to the rootbeer float I had. It was the first dose of sugar I have had since I started on KETO. I did have breakfast before that so I shouldn't go into insulin shock but it is playing havoc on my blood sugar.

Spent last night and today at the farm with my whole family. It's not often that we siblings are all four together. Played a lot of cards and ate some good food last night, had pancakes and little smokies this morning and then played more cards. I won't get to see my sister again before she and BIL go back to Turkey so we said our goodbyes this evening. Now, time for laundry and cleaning at home...

Been doing laundry, cooking, reading some.
Putting drops in hubby's eyes every 4 hours
Finished watching Close Encounters of the 3rd kind today
He cleaned up a part of his garage today since the temps were in the mid 50's
Made an alfredo sauce and added some leftover ham and broccoli for supper. It was good
Since I have to do the hubby's chores I've been using a flat bed cart and bringing in 3 bags of pellets instead of just one like he does.
I also filled the pup's automatic feeder full today. Bag was heavy lol cart came in handy again ;) ( work smart not hard I always say lol)

BacP, Hope the aunts BP goes down and no pacemaker

They got her under control. But gonna keep her another night. They have a monitor on her and she was on the verge of heart rate taking off a couple times. Uncle said she feels pretty good. He's gonna stay home tonight so he can rest some.

Just taking a minute to let my body react to the rootbeer float I had. It was the first dose of sugar I have had since I started on KETO. I did have breakfast before that so I shouldn't go into insulin shock but it is playing havoc on my blood sugar.

Welcome to my day. All day I have felt sluggish and slow. No doubt from the volume of turtles and other carby stuff I ate as we celebrated Christmas. Today I have been very very low carb and consumed a lot of water. Hopefully I hop back into ketosis quickly.

Well by now the blood sugar is dropping. An hour after consuming sugar my body reacts with too much insulin and I crash.
The saving grace is that I had eggs and bacon for breakfast so I doubt I will pass out like I did growing up.

Spent most of the day organizing and cleaning the machine shed, trying to make it more efficient. Goal was to add storage for some wood we salvaged from the old barn and getting the tractor, brush hog lawn mower and four wheeler in there so you aren’t moving one to get to another. Used up quite a bit of scrap from the home build to make the racks for the barn wood and for extra fencing materials. That alone really helped the situation. I spread some extra stone base on the dirt floor, it’s basically fines from limestone gravel production that will tamp down to a pretty solid floor. Tossed out a bunch of stuff that we will realistically never use or fix and was just being a barrier to getting around. Put seven hours into the project and got it mostly complete, at least well enough that it won’t bug me each time I see it!

Take some time off Dadio, have a cup of cocoa! ;)

Back to work today. Yeehaw. Did get a surprise however. Company provides us a floating holiday each year. Most folks take it along with July 4th most years. I thought I had done that this year, but looking back thru my records I realized I hadn't taken mine yet. Since it's use or lose by Dec 31, I'm taking Monday off and have a long weekend. Made my day.
Tonight a guy came by to talk to us about a solar installation. We are debating going with it. Just got to make sure my ducks are in a row. Down side it is grid tied for now, but has a bidirectional meter so we can sell any excess back to the utility. I can also add batteries and charge controller, and additional panels later. TVA is starting to shut down their coal fired plants and by 2023 will be down 25% on them. So I expect rates to increase as years go by. Please pray I can make the right decision on this.

Welcome to my day. All day I have felt sluggish and slow. No doubt from the volume of turtles and other carby stuff I ate as we celebrated Christmas. Today I have been very very low carb and consumed a lot of water. Hopefully I hop back into ketosis quickly.

Feel better Sentry. Save the livestock'eat mor carbs' LOL. :D

Original%20EMC%20Billboard.JPG

Well by now the blood sugar is dropping. An hour after consuming sugar my body reacts with too much insulin and I crash.
The saving grace is that I had eggs and bacon for breakfast so I doubt I will pass out like I did growing up.
My sister in law is like that. She used to eat garbage sugar cereal for breakfast and then crash later in the morning. Finally she became type 2 diabetic (runs in her family pretty bad) but it's pretty mild - her A1c is right at 6. She just needs to get moving a little more, and lose just a few pounds.

It's amazing how just little changes in diet can make big differences. For her, no/low carbs for breakfast mostly took care of her problem. Funny thing is, it doesn't ever bother her any other time of day. Go figure...

I have noticed that there is one thing we men seem to always be able to fall back on when things get a little boring around the house..

We all seem to have that messy shed, barn, or garage that needs a good staightening up.

Yep, spent a solid hour yesterday morning rearranging my garage..looks so much better...but honestly I saved another 4-5 hours worth for another warm day.

Jim

I have noticed that there is one thing we men seem to always be able to fall back on when things get a little boring around the house..

We all seem to have that messy shed, barn, or garage that needs a good staightening up.

Yep, spent a solid hour yesterday morning rearranging my garage..looks so much better...but honestly I saved another 4-5 hours worth for another warm day.

Jim

That's funny (and true) 'cause I need to spend an hour or two in the man cave today cleaning up and organizing then need to do the same in the garage. We are looking at anywhere between 1"-100" of snow this weekend, if you can believe the weather man, so I need to make sure the snow blower and shovels are ready to go. My neighbor is deployed leaving his wife and two young children at home without family close by, so I am doing snow removal for two properties this year. Good thing I love snow and cold!

My shop is kept warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I can be out there all the time..
The hard part is keeping it clean when I let others use it or when one project gets interrupted by two more.
I was in the middle of reloading and needed another reloading block so I broke off the reloading and made a new one out of some scrap lumber. OK, now I have saw dust to clean up before it infiltrates the reloading area.
Around the drill press grinder and bench I use the compressed air to move the dust around until I can use a broom. That is not the way to keep the saw dust off my reloading bench so I will go out today and clean.
I found that all my ammo boxes for 223 are full so I need to go to Berry's and order some more. I have empty boxes for 9mm, 40, and 45 so I can still do some reloading for them. I also have some roll pin starter punches to make so I have that project for the lathe. OH, and I need to get some shelves put up for my wife's sewing room too. That means more wood working. While I am working with wood I have a couple of ammo shelf units to build and install on the wall behind my reloading stations beside the existing cabinets.
I guess I need to get to work!

My shop is kept warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I can be out there all the time..
The hard part is keeping it clean when I let others use it or when one project gets interrupted by two more.
I was in the middle of reloading and needed another reloading block so I broke off the reloading and made a new one out of some scrap lumber. OK, now I have saw dust to clean up before it infiltrates the reloading area.
Around the drill press grinder and bench I use the compressed air to move the dust around until I can use a broom. That is not the way to keep the saw dust off my reloading bench so I will go out today and clean.
I found that all my ammo boxes for 223 are full so I need to go to Berry's and order some more. I have empty boxes for 9mm, 40, and 45 so I can still do some reloading for them. I also have some roll pin starter punches to make so I have that project for the lathe. OH, and I need to get some shelves put up for my wife's sewing room too. That means more wood working. While I am working with wood I have a couple of ammo shelf units to build and install on the wall behind my reloading stations beside the existing cabinets.
I guess I need to get to work!

Last `10 or so years we just buy the shelves.We need soem now to put in sheds that are getting really stacked up. Use to be me and grandkids doing that now and then but they are all working on their own homes now. So its my job.

Last edited:
Building shelves for my wife's sewing room.

Ok, the shelves are built and mounted to the wall. I told her that the shelves will only hold up to 500 pounds so she should be careful what she puts on them.
She said I was silly! I'm serious, no more than 500 pounds!
OK they may be a bit over built but she did say she wanted them stable.

Latest posts

Back