What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built some cages out of cattle panels and t posts to protect the fruit trees. One peach is probably too far gone as a buck absolutely destroyed it. A spruce got badly damaged last winter but made it through but has already been hit again this year. Hopefully the cages will save the others.

Momio and I racked the barn wood on the shelves I built yesterday. And I mowed a bunch of leaves and added them to the garden partially dug in. Oh, and I planted a standard plumb tree and three red osier dogwoods at the new place.

2 loads of laundry washed, dried, put away.
Still got 1 load to fold and put away.
Dishes are done, just need to put them away.
Kitchen cabinet counter tops are cleaned off.
Got a pot of pinto beans and ham going in the crock pot.
Will be dehydrating potatoes n the morning.
Friend gave me 40 pounds of red, russet potatoes.
Packed my hospital bag today.

All the decorations down, but tree is still in the house. It's fresh and nice - just didn't get it taken out. Found my kitchen and have been having those good kinds of meals: turkey and rice soup, grilled ham and cheese. Tomorrow will probably be similar fare. I've frozen quite a bit, but there were sooo many left overs. All the sugar is put away too so not able to snack as we please.

We spent Christmas and the last 8 days in the little apartment we remodeled in my workshop. We have a little tree up in there and have just had the best time. Internet is horrible here but that doesn’t matter. Jake got the 22 revolver he wanted for Christmas and has already burned through 500 rounds. I think we will go back home after the first of the year. I’m a bit crippled up at the moment. After suffering with ingrown toenails for 20 years I had them removed last summer. We were working in a house that was getting ready to close and my wife had already cleaned the floors so I hadn’t shoes off. I didn’t want her to have to mop it again. I dropped a 2x4 end ways landing on my big toe from about 5’. I haven’t said that many bad words in a row in years! Wishing everyone a Happy New year from the Redfords.

584908F9-D3F4-4CCB-BCD6-6E5855A0C5E2.jpeg
B6778D27-216A-4674-B6A4-7C3191FFB047.jpeg
392B6ADF-F304-40BB-9F60-B95D47486F8B.png

We spent Christmas and the last 8 days in the little apartment we remodeled in my workshop. We have a little tree up in there and have just had the best time. Internet is horrible here but that doesn’t matter. Jake got the 22 revolver he wanted for Christmas and has already burned through 500 rounds. I think we will go back home after the first of the year. I’m a bit crippled up at the moment. After suffering with ingrown toenails for 20 years I had them removed last summer. We were working in a house that was getting ready to close and my wife had already cleaned the floors so I hadn’t shoes off. I didn’t want her to have to mop it again. I dropped a 2x4 end ways landing on my big toe from about 5’. I haven’t said that many bad words in a row in years! Wishing everyone a Happy New year from the Redfords.

View attachment 31987 View attachment 31988 View attachment 31989

Ouch! I learned most of the curse words I know from my Dad repairing things around the house. ;)

Ouch! I learned most of the curse words I know from my Dad repairing things around the house. ;)

Jake was working with me and he I’m sure he learned a thing or two that day. First and most important is don’t laugh at a man hopping around on one foot with a smashed toe cursing at the top of his lungs.

Ouch!
Hope your toe heals.
Might ought to get doctor to take a look at it.
Today, is a wonderful day in the neighborhood.
Wet,warm,foggy, day.
Got the dehydrator going this morning.
Four trays of thinly sliced red potatoes, 1 tray of the last of the celery.
Strawberry isn't liking the new going outside to take care of her business system.
But it's the best I can do, at the moment.
I want to be independent as much as possible while I still can.
Got to clean the kitchen from this mornings adventures.
Hopefully the potatoes will turn out this time.
Just going to sit around, sip coffee, crochet.

Dang, you old peckerwood.. you did a good one there buddy.
We are pretty tough huh?
But it still hurts like 7734.

I had chills when you told what happened.
Man o man.

Hey if it ain't clearing up , best get a doctor's opinion...hate to lose that big boy.

Let that boy burn all the powder he can.;):)

Jim

ouch,heal fast HashB. Kids growing on up ,looking good.

Had daily chat with daughter and the screaming chorus ' 18 month old, 3 y.o. and 7 y.o. " in background this morning
Said the boy woke up with his Jack Nicholson Coo coos nest hair and a full diaper ;).
While she has custody of the 3 the mother is enjoying her penthouse lifestyle. Of course my advice was NOT WELCOME. I did get to say " listening to mothers is not fun " since her 32 year old daughter doesn't want any advice either.:D. Plus she has insane judge and family service workers making things harder. Her 14 yo is sleeping late, so I said go snatch that 6'2"
kid out of bed and let him take care of the little wild ones.lol.
I just got through cleaning out one of the chicken pens. Need to dance off some of the morning. 'Can't Touch This' or 'Ice,Ice baby'. May even pop a top.

Word To Your Mother".

Last edited:
The toe is healing good! I took Jake to The Silver Anvil today to make a knife out of a railroad spike. They require you tone 13 to do it but he’s big and mature so they didn’t ask him his age and he got to make a knife. I think the boy did great for an 11 year old!

Attachments

• DD0B7184-FD77-47E2-B2F3-E912AD7F307A.jpeg
    DD0B7184-FD77-47E2-B2F3-E912AD7F307A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • 2F9C590E-277C-4759-83DA-73DB78E9F0E8.jpeg
    2F9C590E-277C-4759-83DA-73DB78E9F0E8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • 253DCD33-C5A1-40F6-AB42-0CF428E5DA63.jpeg
    253DCD33-C5A1-40F6-AB42-0CF428E5DA63.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 97E2131D-FB2D-4266-8EB3-76E35E8CB0E3.jpeg
    97E2131D-FB2D-4266-8EB3-76E35E8CB0E3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 72
  • DE7A0ACC-3518-4B07-89EC-A6AE0E898BAF.jpeg
    DE7A0ACC-3518-4B07-89EC-A6AE0E898BAF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • 2AE37695-FA8E-457B-8615-DE03E07316AB.jpeg
    2AE37695-FA8E-457B-8615-DE03E07316AB.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 49
The toe is healing good! I took Jake to The Silver Anvil today to make a knife out of a railroad spike. They require you tone 13 to do it but he’s big and mature so they didn’t ask him his age and he got to make a knife. I think the boy did great for an 11 year old!
Yes, he did.

BacP He has 2 involved parents that make him a great kid. Hows your aunt doing ?

You are right Meer. My Apologies HB. Your wife has done an amazing job as well. It's just that I talk to you that I stated it as I did.

They had kept her in the Hospital yesterday. Her Dr is out of the country and the OnCall Dr was trying to give her time. I haven't heard from my mom today, so I'm not sure of current status. Thank you for asking.

Ouch Hash! One side of my family is Portuguese. When something like that happened, they would curse in Portuguese so we (kids) wouldn't understand. Guess the only words in Portuguese my brother and I know;-)

LadyL our parents would talk in pig latin but we figured it out after awhile. :D Not sure we would got the Portuguese though. :). I tried spanish and french a long time ago aand gave it up.

That's awesome for an 11 year old.

Jim

I'm being an insomniac tonight. I went down to Kansas City last night for an impromptu get together with my best friend. He and his wife, his sister, and I went to see an '80s cover band and things got a little sideways around midnight. :D Anyway, we were up until 3:00 and I slept half the morning away. It was a looooooong drive home. And now I can't sleep because I slept in too long in the morning...

Tomorrow, is for getting back into my exercise routine and getting prepared for heading out to Oakland on the 2nd.

Returned yesterday from some long airline flights, we got to spend Christmas with our two oldest!!!!!!! First time in over two years we got to see them in person. They each flew part way to meet us. Spent a week together visiting and exploring the sites before flying home.

P.S.

On the final flight home I was "selected" by the TSA for additional screening. Explains why I couldn't online pre check-in with the initial airline. I found it slightly amusing as each Officer stared at my facial expressions for reactions to their questions. I know they are following their trains and procedures. I did get the final Officer to crack a smile when he said I was free to go and I responded with "You mean I didn't win the lottery?" Was it my NRA membership...?

Last edited:
Back