What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Install a high water alarm on the sump pump so you can sleep?

The issue isn't the pump or the amount of water in cavity it sits in. The problem is water building up in the cider block wall behind the pump. This rarely happens but an experienced eye needs to be here to monitor the situation when more than 4 inches of rain is predicted by the weather service and then only in a certain pattern... There is no simple fix.

Last edited:
Hashbrown: Glad to hear your son handled himself so well. Kudos to you. Also glad to hear the school handled everything appropriately, punishing the instigator, and not the victim. Again, kudos to you for electing the right school board members. Looks like you taught him how to box. Now you just have to teach him how to smoke cigars, and drink Scotch. Aren't those the three things a father is supposed to teach a son?

Alas, I am again stuck in the land of the cubicle people with a phone growing out of my ear. The only thing worse than working is not working. Hopefully, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it isn't an oncoming train.

Got up super early to start cleaning up and vacuuming. My kitchen is now arranged in the family room so I can find stuff. No sign of the plumber. Two workman today, decided they didn't the young guy since most of the demolition is done and sitting in the front yard. These two guys seem fine. The sink I bought last night needs to be returned, not enough holes. Ugh. I'll do it tomorrow when husband is home. He has said he has something pretty much every day next week, so I'm housebound. Probably a good time to work on the laundry room and garage.

Mostly just had housework type jobs this week so far.

Helped work on organizing shoes at Church last night. This ministry has 35 boxes of clothes and shoes (separated by size) ready to donate.

We went to our homeowner's insurance agent today to get a quote on flood insurance, in case the mortgage company force places a policy, which we are still unsure of. He answered several questions that we had, so good talk!

Eddie will put new leather on for $30. Yay

Had lunch .

Headed home .
Temps are Dropping.
IMG_20200213_134649432.jpg

Jim

Still have 3 bathrooms torn up, and now a kitchen. The head workguy hired the plumber, but needs to fire him. He asked me today if I would talk to him. I told him that was his job. He talked to the guy about working slow and coming by 4 hours late, and said he would have it together tomorrow. Electrician was by working on some outlets that went out. Unfortunately, he had to remove a kitchen cupboard, and take out a few wall sections to find the short. Fortunately, they hadn't tiled yet. Went to Lowes for more tile and a new sink. We are washing dishes in the garage in a laundry sink. Made dinner in the crockpot and an electric hotplate. The front room is filled with building supplies. Husband says he's going into work tomorrow. Ha Ha. He just wants to escape. He went to two appts today and out to lunch.
This kind of thing of trying to get someone else to do their job for them drives me crazy. I have seen it so many times. I think any kind of construction and remodeling work can come have lots of frustration and challenges. In my experiences, some of these guys are always trying to get paid in advance, and when money is in their pocket, they disappear. I had this happen after I had my garage built and hired a couple guys to rebuild the fence. Money in their pocket and they were gone. There was more work and they would have been paid more, but, nope, they decided to go missing for a while. I finished the fence myself. Then days later wondered why I would do it myself? Because my property was vulnerable and needed to be fenced! I can swing a hammer.

Thank goodness, 102 is pretty high.
:LOL:
That's exactly what I was thinking at first!

Weedy and AH. We work in the trades - with homeowners, it's half down and half at time of completion. If they want it all (or most) up front find someone else. Half and half is fair. The only one to stiff us so far was a millionaire homeowner who ordered something specific and very custom then claimed that's not what he had in mind so didn't pay us. His wife is an attorney so no fighting them - collections sent it back to us. We now require half down - at least trims the odds of them backing out. On the other hand, homeowners need something to assure the work will be done. So it's fair.

I used to do half down and half at completion as a photographer. After a bit, I had to get all up front as apparently the photos became much less important after the wedding.
Wow! That's hard to believe (but I do believe you.). People are just weird.

Sitting with dad at the hospital tonight. He's quiet, resting easy. It's cold outside, supposed to get down to 27. Just surfing the net.
I bought a new charger for my phone. 6ft cord, my old one was only 3ft. Now I can surf and be comfortable.

Nothing to do but watch late night TV.

Well, the plumber hasn't told us what he charges. He's avoiding my husband. He says it's materials and work is reasonable. He was supposed to call husband this morning, but didn't. He shows up when he wants, says he's on his way and isn't. We are supposed to pay him and the other workers tomorrow. Cash. Every Friday. Unfortunately. they can only do so much and then wait for the plumber. So, they have demoed 3 bathrooms and one kitchen. Not one area is near completion.

I would not pay him @Amish Heart only those who worked. Might be worth it to find someone else. Or you could go one step farther and say nobody gets their money until the plumber shows up since they(or at least contractor) hired him. Sorry, doesn't make it easier. I am just cautious with cash deals unless I know the folks and/or their work.

Well I did my due diligence. The Valentines Card, candy, and flowers will be waiting for my wife when she gets up. I will call later to see if she wants to go out to dinner.

Otherwise, another day in the salt mines. Do I hear dwarfs whistling in the background?

Last night my wife was at a meeting so our little ladies made a few batches of low carb chocolate chip cookies and some strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. We even managed to clean up and remove the delicious baking odor before she got home, thanks to some scented candles and an essential oils diffuser. My wife's flowers should be delivered to her office this morning and her card will be on the table when she gets home. She didn't want to go out so we are dining in with the family and then we are going to play some board games. That is when she will get her tasty treats from the girls.

Just got home from the hospital, I'll sleep most of today. Dad rested quietly until about midnight... then he was awake the rest of the night which meant I was also. The last time I looked at the clock it was 4:30am... I slept until 06:05am then I was up again.

I'm not even going to bother going to bed... this recliner sleeps just fine. Night Yall!

Happy St. Valentine's Day :heart: I am just curious if you talked to your moonshiner about your vision before going to the opt. (I do hope they figure it out for ya.)

@Spikedriver Hope you packed your longhandles!
@snappy1 If you ever decide to do it again, I would have in writing - All files/photos deleted after 30 days. Sounds like you're out of that field but just in case. It bugs me that folks are so irresponsible and inconsiderate of others' time and money.

Somebody want to explain to me why before I have Physical Therapy my knee bends just like it supposed too.
Straightens just like it's supposed too.
But I get started on Physical Therapy it tightens up so much we can 't measure it for surgeon.
I got told today I wasn't exercising at home enough.
I told PT assistant to kiss my *ss.
Walked about 2000 steps yesterday,exercised for VA Physical Therapy just fine.
Bend is at 110 straight is 1-2.
Came home and called VA Physical Therapist that is working with me.
Maybe she can get to the bottom of this bs.
Cause as far as I'm concerned I am done with local Physical Therapy.
VA Physical Therapist supposed to call me back later.
Only have 5 more scheduled appointments with local Physical Therapist.

Back