What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I served as an internal affairs investigator for several years. The biggest thing I learned in IA was that 99.9% of claims like this are fictional. And I was being generous with that percentage. This is why complaints against law enforcement fell dramatically when body cams were introduced, because they provided proof that these claims were being manufactured almost all of the time. If I had $1 for every time someone came in and said they were targeted because of their race but it turned out they were just breaking the law and got caught, I could buy a football stadium.

On a related note I am not "white" and I have never seen white privilege. Not on duty, not off duty.
As a taser instructor I can assure you the standard discharge of a Taser is between 5 and 30 seconds. They can be fired again but their batteries will not support extensive periods of power drain before they become ineffective. In order to kill someone with a Taser, that person had to have a serious medical defect that greatly contributed to the loss of their life.
My best friend was personally told by cops that they were pulling people over because they were black-- but, that could just be local cop corruption. The man who was killed by the taser had a heart condition & the police were informed of it before taking him away. His wife was screaming at them (on camera) that he had a heart condition & to be careful with him. A bunch of cops brought him to the floor, held him down, and one used the taser on him when he wasn't even fighting. These goons were just looking to bully someone. He stopped moving & they left him for hours without checking on him. It was complete incompetence on their part. There have been other incidences of Louisiana cops killing people with tasers because those people had medical issues-- they tasered a guy with epilepsy when out on a wellness check. His grandmother was worried about him because he had a seizure. For some reason they came in treating it like a domestic violence call instead and attacked the guy.

I went to the post office to mail off taxes-- certified return receipt so the buggers can't claim they didn't get them. Went to visit my friend to get the prognosis on his car & it turns out it wasn't the part we'd thought that was bad-- it was some sort of strut support under the transmission. Someone had previously tried to weld it to the transmission but it didn't work. There's a loose bolt but my friend can't get at it to try to tighten it. If the transmission is borked it's over $700 for the labor to get it replaced and $900 for a new transmission. This means he can't afford to redo his bathroom now. I wish the courts would actually look at his paperwork about the child support and his ex committing fraud. I keep telling him he needs to go to the DA and report that she committed fraud & his taxes were garnished because of it but for some reason he's still a doormat to her. Tuesday we're going to the transmission place to have them look at it and give an estimate. Really hoping only one small part needs to be replaced & that they won't have to do anything to the tranny. He got a manual specifically to avoid transmission problems.

I need to find some sort of meatless meals to make on Fridays because my mother observes Lent. I don't like seafood & don't know how to cook fish in anything but the microwave but I hate how fish stinks up a microwave. So, I'll have to come up with something else- I'm not the best cook & I don't like cooking. Mom was a good cook when we were younger but she never taught any of us how to cook- never had the patience for it. Apparently her mother was the same way-- no patience, but she wasn't a good cook. Mom learned to cook from her grandmother. I didn't get along with my grandmother because she wanted kids to just sit quietly & not play or make noise & I was a loud little money running around, climbing trees & playing in the mud. One time when she was staying with us, she forgot to lock the bathroom door when she was taking a bath. I found a nightcrawler and brought it to her and dangled it over her all excitedly to show her what a cool thing it was. I don't remember it happening, but I was told that she screamed.

We’ve been busy moving and working, not really getting a whole lot new stuff accomplished at the new place. Every weekend we try to get a couple loads a day brought over and we are getting close, but then the job of sprucing up the old place begins. I’ve decided that whatever I get done by April 1 is just what I get done. I’m hoping to put together a firewood rack this weekend to last me until I build a wood shed this summer.
Random recent pics:
8B664E3C-3E18-40F1-8C4D-3E505F32CB84.jpeg
25435406-84BE-46F1-AF4E-D61C7953A26A.jpeg
0855743F-141A-4026-A69D-440EA441B9F8.jpeg
0FDA7202-FC07-4B08-B370-F7A00928A2C1.jpeg
B3C63D10-77FF-416F-B15E-0B8141FA7EF2.jpeg

I was really proud of her! She didn't go to school but studied at home. She had a good idea how the system works from our business. If anyone needs any property in the Ozarks you have a home girl.

If I was younger I'd be very interested in The Ozarks. Especially if I was atill raising kids. :thumbs:,I'd just haave to think about which state or area I'd move to.
1583006253079.png

Last edited:
Correct. Business was slow and they felt that their labor costs would exceed their profits so they sent people home without telling them it would count against them in terms of points. I think it wasn't supposed to count but I think someone put him in for points to prevent him from transferring. The last person they tried to put on the back fryer solo quit on the spot because she couldn't handle it. The people they do train for the job are put on day shift but my brother is on swing shift.

No one in my family uses anything to get high. We don't drink, we don't smoke, and we don't use anything illegal. We all have very high tolerance for pain medications & such, so we have to take higher doses, but I've found that narcotics don't do jack for me (from when I had to have medical stuff). After surgery I was given Vicodin and it had zero effect. I also found out that I have an adverse reaction to Valium (I was given it before a couple of medical procedures and all it did was make me highly agitated. I'm also resistant to anesthesia-- found that out the hard way. I was in the middle of a procedure where I had to be awake and wasn't numb.

For some reason I remembered the time my brother got pulled over for allegedly rolling through a stop (there was no stop sign-- it was at a caution light with a yield sign but cop had a quota for tickets). Cop starts sniffing the air and says "I smell marijuana!" (which was an absolute lie). My brother pulled out his white privilege card and said "No you don't." The cop didn't know how to react-- he stammered and my brother said "You smell marinara." (At the time he worked at Pizza Hut). Cop tried to insist it was marijuana but my brother told him "Nope." Since he didn't actually smell it, the cop decided not to try to search the car and sent him on his way with a ticket-- after lying about where the court was for it & the printer for it was about out of toner so it was illegible. No one answered the phone when he looked up the number to call for information & it turns out there was no court & no way to contest it.

I think we had an alligator outside our fence once. Fortunately, it couldn't get through. It left on its own and never came back, but we had an elderly friend who nearly got bit by one when he was young. He told us how he and some buddies were fishing and this gator popped up and started eating their catches and went after them. They shot it & killed it then loaded it in the back of their truck and drove around town. They stopped at a car hop and a waitress asked what they'd been catching, they told her to look in the back. She screamed and ran away (they had propped it's mouth open). So they decided to pull the same prank at every car-hop in town. They also set the gator up with it's mouth open next to the town drunk. They put his arm in it's mouth and threw pebbles at him until he woke up. He saw the gator and they said he went from being horizontal to vertical without touching the ground with his arms-- fastest they'd ever seen him move. One of the friends took the gator's body & tried to sell it but got arrested. When my friend found out he went to the sheriff & explained that the guy had received the gator from him & how they had killed it in self-defense. He dropped all charges & pretended it never happened, but the state got the gator's body. Never knew what happened with it-- probably had some gator gumbo.

I made my friend feel a bit better because I found the part he needs for his car for $220.22 & free shipping. We'll buy it for him if it turns out his buddy can't weld the current part to fix it. Hopefully that will leave him enough $ to buy the tub and shower- but he'll still need to get the shower valve & trim. It's about $50 for the valve and $70+ for the trim. I had to explain to him that there are tub spouts that twist on to a threaded end and there are spouts that are secured by a set screw. The valve I'm recommending to him comes prefabbed with the copper for the tub spout sweated in so it would take a slip-fit spout.

:eyeballs::huh:

I spent the morning as the lowest paid gunsmith on the planet for a few people from church and a friend of a friend. Did a full armorers inspections and spring upgrade on a Glock 22C LEO trade in, then Installed a set of HiViz sights and Talon grips on it. He only had one magazine so I dug through the 'old mags' box and found a couple more for him. Then I put a set of Ameriglo night sights on a P320 Compact and swapped out the medium black grip module for a small FDE grip module. Finally I installed a set of Truglo Tritium Pro's on a M&P M2.0 subcompact which also got an Apex Forward-Set trigger. Oh and I also thoroughly cleaned and inspected an AR-15 which had an extremely dirty BCG and needed some new gas rings. While I did it for free I both love doing things like this and will eventually also find myself on the receving end of a blessing or two. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually. And if not I will just be happy that God saw fit to give me the tools & the talent.

Oh. I don't want those.
Workguys are here working on our shower. It'll take forever. Husband is annoyed he can't sit at the desk in our bedroom or take a nap. They'll be back Monday, and I noticed he scheduled a bunch of appts so he doesn't have to be here. The kids have the giant ladder out and are decobwebbing the high ceilings in our front room. Celebrating a number of birthdays tomorrow, so making a bunch of cupcakes.

Decided to try and do something today. Haven't been able to go outside and do much in 3 months and it's been eating at me. Took a load of trash to the dump, Stopped by TSC for some dogfood, picked up a antibiotic for the wife and some food for supper. Then went back out and pruned 2 of my blueberry bushes. I'm beat tonight, but feel good getting anything accomplished. Felt good just to get fresh air and sunshine for a bit.

Had the grand daughter today.
She, Strawberry about wallowed Granny to death.
We read books, sang songs,watched movie.
We had a little lunch beings I was only supposed to have her for a couple of hours.
Wrong had her for 8 hours.
Son's truck broke down.
He had to have it towed to mechanic's home shop.
The mechanic is my cousin's husband, but he was my mechanic before he married my cousin.
Strawberry is on one side of Granny's lap, Estelle (grand daughter) is on the other side, both just snoring a way.
Pleasant day.
Grand daughter is with her daddy.
Strawberry is sprawled out in her chair.
Granny's knees are elevated,iced listening to the silence.
Granny is crocheting on Estelle's blanket for her bed at her dad's house.
It's for Christmas, grand daughter unraveled about 8 rows of it, but I just about got it back like it was.

Decided to try and do something today. Haven't been able to go outside and do much in 3 months and it's been eating at me. Took a load of trash to the dump, Stopped by TSC for some dogfood, picked up a antibiotic for the wife and some food for supper. Then went back out and pruned 2 of my blueberry bushes. I'm beat tonight, but feel good getting anything accomplished. Felt good just to get fresh air and sunshine for a bit.
:huggs::thumbs:

This thread has lots of stuff that needs to be watched daily. I don't know why, but it seems I only come to it once a week or so. It is hard to keep up and follow up when I only visit once a week. Every time I visit this thread, I tell myself to stop here daily.

@Amish Heart , sounds like your bathroom work is getting finished.
@Mo, sounds as though you were feeling poorly, but are doing better.
@phideaux , great that you can spend time with the grands. They are growing up fast.
@backpacker, I hope your lung capacity heals and you feel better.
@Meerkat , email is one of the things that can keep changing up a little, but just enough to confuse some of us.
@Dadio , it looks as though you are closing in on being finished with your move. Moving seems to take forever, and just when I always thought I was finished, the cleaning up and details took forever.
@hashbrown, your wife have her real estate license will be a perfect partnership with your business.

Thanks Terrie. I don't want none then. My email is a mystery to me. Hardly use it.

Go up top, click on your username, and click on preferences. The scroll down to "Receive notifications when someone..." and you can rid yourself of both email and push notices.

This thread has lots of stuff that needs to be watched daily. I don't know why, but it seems I only come to it once a week or so. It is hard to keep up and follow up when I only visit once a week. Every time I visit this thread, I tell myself to stop here daily.

@Amish Heart , sounds like your bathroom work is getting finished.
@Mo, sounds as though you were feeling poorly, but are doing better.
@phideaux , great that you can spend time with the grands. They are growing up fast.
@backpacker, I hope your lung capacity heals and you feel better.
@Meerkat , email is one of the things that can keep changing up a little, but just enough to confuse some of us.
@Dadio , it looks as though you are closing in on being finished with your move. Moving seems to take forever, and just when I always thought I was finished, the cleaning up and details took forever.
@hashbrown, your wife have her real estate license will be a perfect partnership with your business.

Moving far or local?
Watching our granddaughter and working on a better solution for my firewood until I build a proper woodshed this summer. Not fancy or original but it seems to work well and isn’t an eyesore.
View attachment 36032

We stacked up wood for fireplace about 16years ago, it should be petrified by now since we don't use the fireplace since we don't need any more smoker in the house. We never smoke in the house but fireplace does.

I wanted to whippersnip the yard yesterday afternoon but come afternoon. Nope. It was like wading and breathing hot soup - the humidity and heat were so high.
So, this morning after a hearty breakfast I doused myself in poison and got stuck in.
Managed to get 2/3rds of the front yard done before I was chased inside by the heat.
After a cold shower (or what passes as cold here) I laid on the couch for a while and whimpered.

Sitting up with dad tonight. I snuck out for a few minutes. I needed a quality charger for my phone to use here at the home.

For a month or so I've been net shopping for a cheap laptop to use here also. The print is so small on my phone I can barely post or read our forum.

I got a good charger and a laptop. The laptop is a Levono. It was an open box return to the store. Regular price $300, marked down to $160 with a 1 year warranty. I'll test tomorrow when I get home.

Got some good news this week. Last December when had lost so much weight I found a mole that looked horrible. Because of family I didn't have time to make an appointment to see a doctor. I've just worried week after week. Early last month I was scheduled to see an oncologist for a follow up for an MRI last November. I'm sort of shocked but when the oncologist checked it this week the mole had vanished... I kid you not!!! I watched it until I put the weight back on and couldn't see it. It was there!

Many herbs have some sort of historical record of healing cancer,tumors etc Including several I take on a regular basis. That's my best guess.

I've seen cancerous moles before. Mine was a strong contender. But to disappear altogether???

I'm thankful and not about to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Friday we didn't get the rest of the rainwater ditch filled in but did string the back fence back up where we took it down for the trench digging contractor to dig our ditch. In the evening we went down to the local pub to sell raffle tickets for the local RSL as volunteers and apparently we have the record for the most tickets sold out of anyone who has done it two weeks in a row. It is great income for the not for profit RSL club and helps them pay the bills and support local veterans families and other charities.

Saturday morning we filled in the rest of the yard storm water trench so that job is now done thank goodness. In the afternoon we cleaned the RSL club as volunteers and had a couple of soft drinks with the lady taking over there for the President who was away at a meeting. In the evening I put in an order for some groceries and we will pick them up tomorrow and I saved a lot with taking advantage of specials and promotional codes.

Today being Sunday we started off the morning with some scripture study and went and picked our silverbeet and ripe cucumbers.

We have friends locally who gave us some fig trees so we rang them to ask if they wanted some silverbeet and cucumbers which they gladly came over for and it is our way to say thank you to them for the trees. Good to have great converasations with military background friends who have just got into prepping too because of the Coronavirus things and others. We were showing them about fuel preservative as a way to make their fuel last a lot longer and discussing other things as well.

We also heard the local pub was looking to buy vegetables from locals so we gave them a ring and they are going to buy most of the other cucumbers we picked today when we take them down tomorrow. It is good to earn a little bit of extra money that we can put towards seeds and things for the gardens. Naturally we will keep enough vegetables for our own use too.

DH is now having a nap and we will blanch and freeze our silverbeet this afternoon and hopefully get a chance to make some muffins as a treat for us both as well for the rest of the week.

Last edited:
@Tank-Girl same sort of humidity and heat here and every time we go out into the yard we end up looking like sweaty puddles. It is brutal so try and get out there as early as you can and out of the heat of the day.

@Bacpacker good to hear you are able to get up and about and do a few things.

@MoBookworm1957 hope you are feeling better from the flu and your knee is healing well.

@Amish Heart good to hear your bathroom will be finished soon but not good they can't do the rest of the work you need doing.

Back