What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, well since it's Saturday, I just tuned "The Blimp's" live feed.

Classic Rock station I grew up on. Still great 40+ years later.
@Curmudgeon come on over to the music threads. We end up with all kinds of stuff in the Dixie music thread (The night they drove ol' Dixie down). And they've got these other 2 threads for music. Some don't like it at all. Venom Jockey used to post a lot in the other 2. Seems like just Bacpacker, Meerkat, and me are the ones posting in Dixie, occasionally Spikedriver will post a song or two. I suppose most would like it to die a with a whimper.
Have a day, folks! Nobody knows what day it is anymore. Most of you are as if on vacation while some of us still have work. Thankful I have a job or two but wish I was on vacay.

@Curmudgeon come on over to the music threads. We end up with all kinds of stuff in the Dixie music thread (The night they drove ol' Dixie down). And they've got these other 2 threads for music. Some don't like it at all. Venom Jockey used to post a lot in the other 2. Seems like just Bacpacker, Meerkat, and me are the ones posting in Dixie, occasionally Spikedriver will post a song or two. I suppose most would like it to die a with a whimper.
Have a day, folks! Nobody knows what day it is anymore. Most of you are as if on vacation while some of us still have work. Thankful I have a job or two but wish I was on vacay.
Thats right Patch nothing like a good shot of music to help us make it through the isolation and chaos. And our chats and infomation here too of course .dancing chicken:lil guy::thumbs:

Thank you, Grimm. It is the craft passion pattern that I have been using. I went through a bunch of scraps and maybe have 100 cut out of various sizes, and have sewn up a bunch of them.
I had a 10 day house sitting job, early February. I took my sewing machine, larger fabric scraps, fabrics, sewing supplies and worked on the masks. At that time, 1/4 inch elastic was available in limited amounts in the stores. I bought all I could find, but not enough to finish all my masks. Everyone is asking if anyone has any elastic to donate.

I had to buy 5/8" fold over elastic to make mine.

You can use the 4mm elastic hair ties as ear loops.

Went with DH to put gas in his car. First time we have left the house together in a month at least. Washed rugs, swept house and dusted house. Went on walk this morning and turned in prescription at local drugstore. Pretty slow day. I'm starting to like them!

I need to go through my fabric stash this weekend and pull out all the fabric I can spare for masks. Plus I am sure I have 1/4" elastic somewhere in there too! Otherwise I have 100yds of fold over elastic. Once our family's mask stash is done I'll start working on masks for the Tieks sew-together.

The waffles were a bust this morning. I was using a heart shaped waffle iron my mom got for the girls. Darn thing was less than 3 inches! So I have a batch of tiny waffles in the freezer. Next time I am using my Mickey waffle iron. They are bigger and the plates remove for cleaning. Tomorrow is muffins.

Making sure we eat all the left overs so nothing goes to waste during these sparse times. The girls and K think milk is forever flowing! I'm glad I stashed a few gallons in the freezer. We are going through 2+ gallons a week right now!

Winter was eager for her meds this morning. Took them right from my hand no issues again.

Thank you, Grimm. It is the craft passion pattern that I have been using. I went through a bunch of scraps and maybe have 100 cut out of various sizes, and have sewn up a bunch of them.
I had a 10 day house sitting job, early February. I took my sewing machine, larger fabric scraps, fabrics, sewing supplies and worked on the masks. At that time, 1/4 inch elastic was available in limited amounts in the stores. I bought all I could find, but not enough to finish all my masks. Everyone is asking if anyone has any elastic to donate.

Here is another mask pattern and option as a service project...

https://www.foodstorageorganizer.com/2020/04/covid-19-face-mask-with-ties-project.html
They ask that the masks have ties not elastic.

I’ve modified the craft passion updated mask and it’s perfect now I believe. Fits like a mask should. I did add the polypropylene liners to it though and a pull tie instead of elastic.

Share your modifications, please.

Share your modifications, please.
I made bias tape ties that loop on top and tie on the bottom which I’ve seen other doing more now With the elastic shortage and comments on medical workers ears getting painful. This allows a better fit and less strain on the ears.
I added a small pocket on top for a removable and replaceable nose piece which for mine are plastic covered ties, like bread ties but for cords.
I lengthened the sides on the front piece sides to allow a slightly larger area for cords/shoe laces to go through in case they need replacing down the line.
2 layers (1 on the inside front and inside back) of the ”n95” fabric.
think that’s all the mods I’ve made. I researched and trialed mask fits/designs to try and get the best fit possible with the most amount of usability.
I’m reading a lot of donated masks being unusable because they fit so poorly. Even reading hospitals throwing them out.
I’m making them for family, medical staff I know and their coworkers and locals in need currently. I’ll donate the rest to hospitals.

I made bias tape ties that loop on top and tie on the bottom which I’ve seen other doing more now With the elastic shortage and comments on medical workers ears getting painful. This allows a better fit and less strain on the ears.
I added a small pocket on top for a removable and replaceable nose piece which for mine are plastic covered ties, like bread ties but for cords.
I lengthened the sides on the front piece sides to allow a slightly larger area for cords/shoe laces to go through in case they need replacing down the line.
2 layers (1 on the inside front and inside back) of the ”n95” fabric.
think that’s all the mods I’ve made. I researched and trialed mask fits/designs to try and get the best fit possible with the most amount of usability.
I’m reading a lot of donated masks being unusable because they fit so poorly. Even reading hospitals throwing them out.
I’m making them for family, medical staff I know and their coworkers and locals in need currently. I’ll donate the rest to hospitals.

Thanks!

Another wonderful day here in West KY on the farm.
68 degrees , sunshine...
Got the right front wheel and caliper done. Only one more to go.

Helped wife dig up and move 2 huge hydrangeas.
Pain in the donkey.

Moved some more firewood to woodshed.

Practiced fishing for 1 hour , caught 2 Bream , one was a keeper, but didn't , in first 5 minutes, then nothing.
IMG_20200402_174343895_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Another covid 19 person today , #3 in my county.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Gotta get the Zero turn oil change , and blades sharpened tomorrow.

Jim

I fired up both tractors this afternoon. After all the rain I had to re-lay out rows in the garden with the old ford. I still have a flat of tomato plants to set out and squash to plant. The cultivators were still attached to the ford so...

Dad's riding lawn mower was still under the pole barn from last fall. I needed to bring it up to the shop to get it running. So, I used the Massy with the front end loader and a chain to drag the mower to the shop.

Thats about all I got accomplished today aside from dishes and a load of laundry...

I have never ever been out of work long enough to get unemployment. I am not worried, I don't have debt.
I never collected unemployment. I started working at 17 and never stopped. Longest time off was 5 days and that was because I choose to take the 5 days off between jobs. Now I'm retired so I still can't collect it and I still work, only I don't get paid for it. My wife acts like she is paying me by the hours sometimes but I am quick to remind her she isn't. :)

I would like to go fishing but the state has closed all fishing because of the virus. I guess people were waiting around the boat launches and docks so they ended it. Stupid people ruined it for everyone else just like stupid people always do.

Crocheted a bit on grand daughter's twin size blanket to use at her dad's house.
Trying to figure out what color the sashing strips and then the border will be on twin size cross stitched intertwined heart will be. I'm leaning toward medium green. But tourquoise would look good too.
Started on the next cross stitched queen size quilt.

I never collected unemployment. I started working at 17 and never stopped. Longest time off was 5 days and that was because I choose to take the 5 days off between jobs. Now I'm retired so I still can't collect it and I still work, only I don't get paid for it. My wife acts like she is paying me by the hours sometimes but I am quick to remind her she isn't. :)

I would like to go fishing but the state has closed all fishing because of the virus. I guess people were waiting around the boat launches and docks so they ended it. Stupid people ruined it for everyone else just like stupid people always do.
People are still fishing here. I saw a couple on the Des Moines river and two families with small kids at the local county park. Not sure what they thought they were going to catch at this time of year though. The water's still way too cold...

Latest posts

Back