What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well RAC has done it again. It took them a month to deliver my log splitter and after a conversation with a very rude guy in their Abq office we found out that our greenhouse is being delayed another week. The tracking info said they received it on the 1st. They only come out here on Tuesdays but we were the only delivery and they aren't coming out for just 1 order. We called and filed a complaint with corporate and are waiting for a call back from the GM.

Half-moon finger holes cut at the marked locations should give good finger access.

View attachment 39092

Yep. Why didn't you suggest that BEFORE the build (joking). Thought about cutting some but I couldn't think of a way of doing so after the build. I'd have to lower the 2" front stop too. It got messy so I did the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" mod instead.

That looks good LazyL. Unfortunately, for me, canned goods are mostly FINO (First In, Never Out). I would probably only use them during a drastic emergency. Things like tomato paste and soup excepted. But canned veges, yeah, those are FINO. Generally, I do have some FINO stuff on hand - I do prep, although not excessively (I plan for months, not years). Once these cans have been sitting around for a while, but still not past expiration date, I donate them to the church which has food drives all the time. So I guess they're actually FIDL, (First In Donate Later)

Easy day today
Went to walmart got all that I wanted to get. Alot of things were well stocked. Did notice the flour shelves were a bit bare but I'm set up well in that area. Sugar was full. Lunchmeat section was completely bare.
Line to get in was around the building, through the pharmacy drive thru and almost to the pick up area for online grocery shopping. Did move fast and it was only that long because of the 6ft rule.
Stopped at local grocery but there were no hams. Fella said the truck was coming this morning at 8am, so I'll head in again tomorrow morning to get my free ham. They were only allowing 50 people in the store at a time so you had to wait for someone to leave before you could go in. We had no problem got there early enough
Planted the strawberry plants I bought at walmart couple of weeks ago in a bag.
Just gonna do dishes
Read some
Listen to the radio
Easy supper. Rotisserie chicken and I'll roast some potatoes and carrots

Last edited:
Yep. Why didn't you suggest that BEFORE the build (joking). Thought about cutting some but I couldn't think of a way of doing so after the build. I'd have to lower the 2" front stop too. It got messy so I did the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" mod instead.
How about scrapping the front exit, and instead, use some kind of gated bottom? i.e., supported at the bottom, but by a moveable/removeable holding device. Then you could just drop a can into your hand. Might be tricky to figure out how to dispense only one can and not the whole rack full though. I'm thinking two pegs - one at the very bottom and one at the next can up. Pull the very bottom peg, dispense one can (because the next up peg is holding the rest of the cans). Replace the very bottom peg. Pull the next peg up to drop second can into first position. Then replace second peg. Ready to go for next run.

Sell this one to the neighbor and make another with the modifications you want.

Yesterday my two youngest girls made something like 16 dozen red velvet cup cakes with cream cheese frosting. So this morning I got to play delivery boy dropping off cupcakes at my department, our church, and other places on their list. Plus now we were finally able to get rid of the leftover Christmas treat containers we didn't use a few months back. I am pretty sure when the coronocalypse is finally over my two little ladies (ages 10 & 12) are going to be expert bakers. So far they have made cookies, bread, banana bread, buns, apple pie, croissants, and now cupcakes. Even more incredible is that I have maintained a 95% success rate in not eating the stuff they are producing, even though they are using much better ingredients than most do (like grass fed butter, farm fresh eggs, coconut oils, mixed flours (whole wheat, oatmeal, coconut, and almond), natural honey, etc.).

How about scrapping the front exit, and instead, use some kind of gated bottom? ...

One of my design criteria was the cans would have to be secure when opening and closing the door. I over designed that part.

Sell this one to the neighbor and make another with the modifications you want.

Great idea. Hey phodeaux! I got a free door mounted pantry for you! Shipping will cost you an arm and a leg...

So far this morning have done a load of laundry.
Strawberry has been outside several times.
Called several apartment complexes looking for an apartment for my son and grand daughter.
Filed police report with local police department for theft.
Washed dishes, rearranged my oldest sons shoes and stuff off my table so I could sew.
Sewing machine is having conniption fit.
Probably Granny's little big helper has adjusted my tension on my sewing machine.
Resting and crocheting on Christmas blanket.
Will have to check mail. today.
Son has appointment to look at an apartment this afternoon.
Fixed lunch.
Will have 15 bean soup, fried potatoes for supper.

Who was stolen from and what? I couldn't find any reference anywhere. Are you ok?
I'm good.
Seems some one had sticky fingers, took things that didn't belong to her and sold them for cash.
Seems this person thought those things belonged to my oldest son.
Therefore it was alright for her to sell these items.
She thought wrong, they belonged to me.
So I did an inventory today, complete with pictures, filed police report.
And will be prosecuting to the fullest extent of the law.
Last time I checked if you sold something that didn't belong to you, that was against the law.
Somebody is in for rude, crude sociable unacceptable awaking.

We received 9 boxes today from Walmart. Each box was shipped with just one or two items in the box. Shipping from Walmart now takes about two weeks. We really need none of the items but we are trying to build up our supplies of everything. Walmart has canceled a few items I have ordered from them because though it was in stock at the time of the order, they were out when they attempted to fill the order. Still I watch for items to be in stock and place orders when I find enough stuff to get free shipping. I think we are in this for the long haul though I hope things get better soon.
I'm still waiting on some essential stuff I ordered form Walmart 2 weeks ago. They canceled some of the stuff I ordered. I did receive at least one thing so far though. Not sure what the holdup is on the item that is "delayed". They haven't even shipped it out & it doesn't say they are out of stock.
I had to order some stuff that was in-store pickup only, which is annoying.
Also waiting on some Amazon packages.
Done building the FIFO canned food storage rack. Now in testing mode.

If I had it to do over I would have drill a hole for the interior door knob instead of cutting around it.

View attachment 39080

With door closed.

View attachment 39081

First modification. Hard to get the bottom can out of the rack. Can fits flush and with the larger cans you can not get a finger grip on the rims. 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" piece of wood with a corner cut at a 45 degree angle. Raises the bottom can up and out so you can grip it.

View attachment 39082

After further testing and when the weather warms up then it will be painted white to comply to the wife's recommendation.
Looks great! My father built a shelf system on our pantry door 30+ years ago.
pantrydoor1.jpg

I had to go into town today to get mail & pick up some stuff I ordered as well as stuff from the pharmacy. But this time I just drove & sat in the car. My brother is no longer sick so he went in to the post office & store for me. I came along in case they refused to give him my pickup items. He grabbed some food for our friend who just lost his job & is waiting on his food stamps & unemployment payments to arrive.

My brother said Walmart finally added a partition on the inside of the exit/entrance area to keep people apart-- which makes the whole outside detour thing make more sense. But I noticed at the post office they are passing mail over the counter again. The governor said that we seem to be at a flat in the curve for infection so people stopped caring and hardly anyone had masks, people weren't keeping their distance, & many people are acting like there's nothing to worry about. I just hope it doesn't lead to more cases.

I gave my brother a list-- forgot some things though, but we can get those next week. I got some headbands, hairties, buttons, shop towels, & had my brother pick out some fabrics for making face masks. The hair ties are for the ear loops. The headbands and buttons are for looping the ties over so they won't pull on the ears.

I figured out how I got my eye infection-- I remembered that when I was cleaning the toilet, I was scrubbing under the lip & some of it flew & hit me in the face-- must've gotten to my eyes. I got some Johnson's "no more tears" baby shampoo for it.

Mo, sorry to hear about stuff getting stolen, but I hope the cops arrest her & that you get some compensation.

My DH built a fifo out scrap 2x4s and lumber. He doubled down on your get the can out problem by making it deep enough to stagger the cans to get more of them in. There is a lot of weight bearing down and no way to get a good finger grip to pull the bottom one out. Now I see the problem could be solved by using the fine tool to cut in some side notches where marked.

Is this going to happen any time soon? Nope, because I would have to unload the sucker first and then use a ladder to reload it. Too much like work. It goes down the whole side wall of the basement stairs.

@The Lazy L That looks great. How 'bout using a bore bit on the drill to get the semi-circles so you can grip???
@MoBookworm1957 Fingers crossed (and prayers of course) that son finds a suitable place.

I had a thought: yep just one. That's all it takes to clog up my wee brain.
Easter is this weekend. It is one of our rights (as opposed to privileges) to congregate. Truth is, I haven't attended since we've moved here. Eventually, I will find a church family to "fit in" with. There are a great number of Adventists here, which is not my belief so it will just be time. However, I thought of a way that I would love to see for an Easter service under current circumstances. If someone had a huge pasture, the pastor could have a PA system and families could come park, each car at least 6' apart in a field then the pastor could deliver the message. Leaving could be closest to the rear first and wait your turn to leave "safely." What a sight if it covered a giant area - coming together, but apart to lift up His name. (Oh, or maybe tune in to a certain radio station.)
Wouldn't that be amazing? I don't have the means for such, but would love it if it happened somewhere - anywhere.
Well, I'm pretty sure that was my 1 brilliant thought for the day.
Blessings~
Hoping you're all staying safe and healthy.

It is a brilliant thought. Our electrician friend for many years is also a pastor for a handful of people. He texted the other day to see if my husband could figure out an FM transmitter that he could use to preach on to the people who come in their cars. He wanted them to be able to tune him in on the radio. It can be done, with limitations. But he doesn't want a transmitter made in China. And he needs one that's cheap and that is in stock. Told him to buy a bunch of walkie talkies. Or use a megaphone. He doesn't want to do the zoom or youtube route.

I updated our 'pandemic' binder I started back during the Ebola scare. I added new lists of procedures and supply lists. Instructions to set up a sick room were already in there but I added new mask patterns as well as gown and surgical cap patterns. I am thinking of handwriting a letter to Roo and Juju to put inside expressing the need for such a binder and the info with in. I don't want my girls to just toss a wealth of info they may need after I pass. I am glad I started this binder years back.

I am currently cutting out the pieces for my soup bowl cozies. I made a plastic template of the pattern so I can pass it to my mom later so she can make her own. She is a genius! She figured out that the cheap plastic cutting boards from dollar tree can be used to make sewing templates. You can cut them with scissors and they come 2 in a pack for $1!

I am just going to make pasta with meat sauce for dinner. Nothing special.

It is a brilliant thought. Our electrician friend for many years is also a pastor for a handful of people. He texted the other day to see if my husband could figure out an FM transmitter that he could use to preach on to the people who come in their cars. He wanted them to be able to tune him in on the radio. It can be done, with limitations. But he doesn't want a transmitter made in China. And he needs one that's cheap and that is in stock. Told him to buy a bunch of walkie talkies. Or use a megaphone. He doesn't want to do the zoom or youtube route.

Like the old drive-ins.

Is there a local DJ?

@The Lazy L That looks great. How 'bout using a bore bit on the drill to get the semi-circles so you can grip???...

Center of the bore bit would be off the wood so there is no way to guide the hole. And even if it could be done (using a jig) how would one fit a drill and bit between the verticle pieces?

Center of the bore bit would be off the wood so there is no way to guide the hole. And even if it could be done (using a jig) how would one fit a drill and bit between the verticle pieces?
True! You would need a drill extension as far as not running into the other verticals.
There is this also??? Pressure from the side, still not perfect. Just grasping at ideas now.
1586296992816.png

Do you have a Dremel tool? Maybe you could sand out a half-moon notch my holding the dremel tool at the right angle?

Or hammer and chisel might work too.

There are a lot of ways to notch plywood or thin sheets of anything.
The fastest way that I can come up with is a jig with, a hole in it, lined up and clamped to the vertical. Use a hole saw with a dowel to guide the saw while cutting at an angle from the outside.
It will provide a slightly elliptical cut in the wood fairly clean and quick.

That can rack looks good. I might have to make one for our pantry. My question is will the door support that much weight? If you fill it with cans it will be very heavy and those doors aren't really made to support the weight. Maybe reinforce the hinges.
In our motorhome, my wife filled all the door shelves with bottles of water and cans of soda. Then I neglected to make sure the refrigerator was locked before we drove off. I went around a corner and the door flew open and crashed to the floor.

Do you have a Dremel tool? Maybe you could sand out a half-moon notch my holding the dremel tool at the right angle?
You need a RotoZip, with wood bit (How thick do you need to cut? - This can do up to 1")

Rotozip 5.5 Amp Corded 1/4 in. Rotary RotoSaw Spiral Saw Tool Kit with 5 Accessories-SS355-10 - The Home Depot

Rotozip 1/8 in. Saber Cut Wood Bits (4-Pack)-SC4 - The Home Depot

Note: You can get these kind of side cutting bits for a Dremel Tool, but depending on how thick you need to cut, and how hard the wood is, the Dremel hobby tool will not have the oomph that a RotoZip does. I use my Dremel Tool for drywall cuts (it has plenty of power for that) and my RotoZip for heavier duty stuff.

Back