What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...My question is will the door support that much weight? If you fill it with cans it will be very heavy and those doors...

Time will tell! Main reason why the verticals were mounted more towards the hinges, help prevent the door acting as a lever against the hinges.

Had a full day today. This morning first thing I found a dead cow elk at the end of my driveway. Called Fish&Game to come pick it up (they feed them to the wolves).
Then I was working outside and the neighbors horses were making a big fuss. So I threw a rifle in the truck (I thought it might be wolves) and drove over there. One horse was out because they had not secured the gate door. And a week-old colt had got separated from its mama and she was upset. Got the colt re-united with its mom and got the loose horse back in the corral. All their horses are very tame so I just asked the loose horse to follow me into the corral. Came right away because she thought I was going to feed her. Joke was on her because I just locked her up and left.
In the afternoon wife and I went for a couple mile+ walk.

Almost 5 wks since I stepped out of driveway and a week without loaf bread, had biscuit sandwiches and mama bread. I don't eat much bread anyay but hubby likes his toast and grits and eggs. We do still have saltine crackers.Amazon still no delivery we ordored.

We hav food so not hungry. I ate a roast beef on open biscuit,hubby had 4.It is strange but so far doable.

Th
Almost 5 wks since I stepped out of driveway and a week without loaf bread, had biscuit sandwiches and mama bread. I don't eat much bread anyay but hubby likes his toast and grits and eggs. We do still have saltine crackers.Amazon still no delivery we ordored.

We hav food so not hungry. I ate a roast beef on open biscuit,hubby had 4.It is strange but so far doable.
That’s probably good Meer. You don’t need any more health issues! We’d kinda like to keep you around for a while so you just hang tight there deary. 💕

Done building the FIFO canned food storage rack. Now in testing mode.

If I had it to do over I would have drill a hole for the interior door knob instead of cutting around it.

View attachment 39080

With door closed.

View attachment 39081

First modification. Hard to get the bottom can out of the rack. Can fits flush and with the larger cans you can not get a finger grip on the rims. 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" piece of wood with a corner cut at a 45 degree angle. Raises the bottom can up and out so you can grip it.

View attachment 39082

After further testing and when the weather warms up then it will be painted white to comply to the wife's recommendation.
Looks mighty fine.

I just got the last of the "pantry" amazon stuff I ordered weeks ago. It's way easier now to get in the car and drive to the store and buy what I need. Kinda worried, the bread STILL hasn't gotten moldy, what the SCHIFF do they put in there? Not sure I want to eat it anymore, but the preservatives may be what's keeping me alive :p

I just got the last of the "pantry" amazon stuff I ordered weeks ago. It's way easier now to get in the car and drive to the store and buy what I need. Kinda worried, the bread STILL hasn't gotten moldy, what the SCHIFF do they put in there?
You don't want to know.
If I have to look up ingredients in the dictionary, decided didn't need it in my food or body.

FINALLY I finished painting the laundry room. And the door. Been working on getting little granddaughter signed on to Google whatever for school when it starts Monday. Very glitchy. Missed the Zoom American Heritage Girls meeting because I forgot. This is my worst nightmare. Everything is on computer. And husband asked me to fill out on line order for meat for Albertson. Pain. In. The . Butt. And every teacher for the twins High School is emailing msgs about school starting on Monday. That's two kids times 6 teachers. Little Granddaughter's teacher, p.e. teacher, music teacher, and office lady are all emailing. Enough already.

You don't want to know.
If I have to look up ingredients in the dictionary, decided didn't need it in my food or body.
For sure! Starting up the sourdough starter, I'll make a little bread when I want some.

Good evening, all...

Just hanging out in my hotel room in Cheyenne, hiding from the 'Rona. This whole, "no sit-downs at the restaurant" is getting old. There's a Mom 'n' Pop style diner a block away that serves the best biscuits and gravy on Earth, but it's not the same eating out of a styrofoam box in a hotel room...

Stay safe, stay sane...nite, everybody.

Was on the phone for part of morning. Need to turn compost and feed plants. Doctor old dogs hot spot. I'm out of most dog meds so been using table salt water to pour over it then rinse and vasaline. She is about to get that funnel looking thing all dogs hate to stop her from licking it off.

Was on the phone for part of morning. Need to turn compost and feed plants. Doctor old dogs hot spot. I'm out of most dog meds so been using table salt water to pour over it then rinse and vasaline. She is about to get that funnel looking thing all dogs hate to stop her from licking it off.

You could order new hot spot ointment from Petco. They are still shipping in a decent amount of time. You could also try making some.

You could order new hot spot ointment from Petco. They are still shipping in a decent amount of time. You could also try making some.
Thanks Grimm both are about to get a bath and for now since shipping is staring to slow down too I'll just keep with my remedy,it works great if she would stop chewing. If it is some kind of mite or wingworm even I hope we can smother it.

Thanks Grimm both are about to get a bath and for now since shipping is staring to slow down too I'll just keep with my remedy,it works great if she would stop chewing. If it is some kind of mite or wingworm even I hope we can smother it.

Try coconut oil instead of vaseline. It has antibacterial properties. I used it for Roo's scalp/ear psoriasis (and mine as well).

Taking online courses to become a Skywarn observer for the National Weather Service.
Which of the following is the correct answer?
Multiple choice answer; A, B, C, D?
I chose "B". Wrong! Correct answer is B AND D.
The word "Answer" is singular not plural!
Time for me to go do something else for a while....

Try coconut oil instead of vaseline. It has antibacterial properties. I used it for Roo's scalp/ear psoriasis (and mine as well).

Ok I'll try thaat one next,dogs are both bathed and now after standing on my head getting dog soap shower when they shake its time for me to get one. But first I have to rest a few,these dogs are not small, both weigh about 60lb.s.
One has be dragged into the shower stall.After watching the one roughly dragged the other one walks right in.

Storm rolled through this morning at 3:15. BIG winds ( 50mph), lightening, thunder and hard rains. Power went out and woke me up. So hubby braved the rain and started the generator.
I went back to bed for a couple of hours. Been feeling tired all day and even more so now.
Made early run to the store for free ham
Made our breakfasts
Did up the dishes
Repotted my tomatoes,basil and sage as they were growing out of the small flats I bought them in. They're out in the greenhouse now instead of the bay window
Hubby set up his awning/tarp tent so he can work on things out of the sun and rain. He does this every year
Have seeds sprouting in the bay window now that need to go into flats
Made supper
Have to fix the coffee pot for tomorrow morning
Hopefully I can sleep well tonight. Hate being woken up because then I can't get back to sleep or don't sleep well afterwards

Yesterday's agenda:
Washed, dried hung up or will finish this morning load of laundry.
Strawberry was snoozing in the sun for a good hour and half in the morning.
Then in the afternoon she snoozed for another 45 minutes in the sun.
In between her naps in the sun she followed me around the apartment.
She got her steps in too.
Cooked lunch such as it was.
Had the last bowl of beans for supper.
Washed up dishes, made up coffee.
Watched tv, we watched "How to fix a drug scandal" on Netflix.
Missed my appointment to pick up small portable greenhouse.
It was sent back, looked up the dates, my pick up date is tomorrow.
They forgot to inform me of the new pick up date and time.
So they will be bringing it to my house today.
Hope my tomato plants didn't freeze.

Today's agenda:
Sipping coffee.
Letting Strawberry out after the dew drys.
She seems to think she needs to lay in sunlight for hours at a time.
Crocheting on Estelle'e Christmas blanket.
Try to figure out how I broke the foot on my sewing machine.
Reconfigure the tension on my sewing machine.
Figure out something for supper.
May have to bread, chip run.

Our daughter in Alaska is taking the Skywarn class, too. Lazy L. Incubator chicks due tomorrow. Giving away lots of eggs. 6 dozen yesterday. Two more dozen going out today and a bag of dried mint for tea and the bags. Attempting to get barter going around here...lots of requests from friends for rabbits (no), chicks and laying hens. Bags of feed are $9.99 at Tractor. That's the price of a chick. Bag on the porch equals a chick. We'll see if this flies.

We made our trip to Amish country on Tuesday, wore our mask and gloves..at Yoder's greenhouse and bakery.

Lots of people had the same plans ...seems.

Kept our distance from people.
Got my tomato and pepper plants.
Green bean seed.
Wife got a ton of flowers.

Got the smaller garden plot tilled and ready, planted the beans and peas.

Too much cold weather now for tomatoes and peppers, bringing those in at night .
Temps in 50s in day and 30s at night... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh, put the tee posts and electric fence back up around new garden...
I'm beat,
Today may just rest, and hope the beans and peas don't come up till this cold snap passes.

Just got word , that a good friend of mine ,80 years old , has tested + for the virus. His wife works at WM.

Jim

We made our trip to Amish country on Tuesday, wore our mask and gloves..at Yoder's greenhouse and bakery.

Lots of people had the same plans ...seems.

Kept our distance from people.
Got my tomato and pepper plants.
Green bean seed.
Wife got a ton of flowers.

Got the smaller garden plot tilled and ready, planted the beans and peas.

Too much cold weather now for tomatoes and peppers, bringing those in at night .
Temps in 50s in day and 30s at night... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh, put the tee posts and electric fence back up around new garden...
I'm beat,
Today may just rest, and hope the beans and peas don't come up till this cold snap passes.

Just got word , that a good friend of mine ,80 years old , has tested + for the virus. His wife works at WM.

Jim

Sorry about your friend.

Watered garden ,gave some epsom salts late some of thr seeds.

Last edited:
Jim That's where hubby says it's going to keep spreading as that's where folks are going.
Have been hearing some "interesting" things re. current situation - all speculative of course. I don't like it.
Glad you folks are here and are as reasonable as me - or as dysfunctional as me - whichever :) Thank you.

Hubbygetting pitch fork out of shed so I canurn compost while he works of truck.
fighting depression last few days locked up here.
Feeling a little better today, its been 39 days since I left this property.
Talking to family and friend every morning on phone helps plus getting sleep.
Pretty Bird 'crow' is coming up to porch now for breakfast.

Latest posts

Back