What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took dad to town today. He wanted a haircut at the barbershop. He was able to get out of his wheel chair and up into the truck, out of the truck back into the chair. He stayed in the chair for the haircut... We made it home fine. Blessed, never thought he'd recover to this point.

I harvested a medicine and made some tincture when I got home. Supper time came and went so I called in for takeout at the little restaurant down the road. Watching some tv tonight...

About your dad -- that's so wonderful. I was a little worried to say the least, when you were staying with him at the hospital, but then, when you had to leave him there... Ugh. Grateful hearts.
I should be sleeping, very busy week with work and no slowing down in sight.

Right now I am relaxing, getting in some internet time, hanging out with the kids, and drinking some ice cold lemon water. In a bit I need to remount a buggy video surveillance camera and start sorting out my rapid response gear. Which is like riot gear but it's a lot lighter and you can move faster in it. Of course it is also non-ballistic and not as protective either. Then I am going to run to the store for a few items, return to make sure the house is secure and everything is put away, visit with my neighbors who will be out in the cul-de-sac this evening keeping an eye on things, and then I will be going in to work. I am going to take a seizure car and drive around where the demonstrations are happening today before getting a marked car and taking command of my assigned zone. The last one became a bit of a hullabaloo with some broken windows, vandalism, looted stores, tear gas, and handcuffs so we have stepped things up for today. I really don't expect much after how quickly things were shut down last time and how many arrests were made, but one has to plan for the worst.

Keep an eye out on stacks of bricks that don't belong there ( where no construction is going on). Thats been popping up in places before the riots so they have ammo to destroy things and throw at the LEO

Keep an eye out on stacks of bricks that don't belong there ( where no construction is going on). Thats been popping up in places before the riots so they have ammo to destroy things and throw at the LEO

Good advice, but we are not a big liberal city where George and his little mask wearing minions can move around unimpeded. We have several community groups out in force "keeping an eye on things" and police & sheriff reserves heavily patrolling the area since yesterday. When the demonstration begins they will all fall back to other parts of town with businesses that could be targeted. The two colleges in town (which are empty) have brought in security teams to assist/supplement their campus police and public safety staff. Many business have hired on additional security as well.

The gun store I go for most of my gun buying needs, has boarded up their windows and will be protected by a sizeable veteran-based motorcycle club, who volunteered to protect any gun shop in town. In a meeting yesterday the city chief of police said he was far more worried about what the club what do to the rioters than the other way around. Several of them look like they could pick up and throw a school bus.

Another morning phone call with the daughter,

even the dog has had all the screaming running mayhem she can stand, dog looked at daughter who was dealing with this mornings chaos ,:(looked at Tarzan, tattle tale and agitator, then went to daughter and lovringly licked her as to say " I'm sorry your going through this".:huggs:.
Said last week when she dropped off kids for weekend visit with their mom, when she walked back into house wihtout the kids the dog went nuts with joy, jumped up and down wagging her tail, tolled in the floor, and celebrated.:lil guy::woo hoo: Daughter said dogs reaction was so obvious.

I have been telling her to fence in part of backyrd and turn the curtain climbing rug rats into yard apes.
We bought a swing set for their visits right before the Corona crap. Its still in the box since isolation.
Now the jackboot itch racist hater court nazi change court date yesterday to extended June 10th to last of August[ for no reason granddaughter has done all expected of her AND THEN SOMW ] extend my daughters temp custody with the kids TWO MORE MONTHS!.
Not defending the mother of 4 who got on drugs just aying they don't make it fair to certain people.
But I also blame society for letting this nations leaders continue to protect these cartels.This crap could have been stopped many decades ago. Only people they go after with all guns blasting are certain Americans. While drugs puchers and criminals fllod our natiosn streets and are untouchables.

Tried to fix the sprinkler - the new head I bought didn't work. Tried to mow the grass - it rained. Tried to replace the broken toilet seat - found that we had purchased the wrong size replacement. Tried to fix the bathroom sink that was slow to drain - finally, something successful! Made a pretty good dinner of open faced sourdough, ham, tomato, mozzarella grilled sandwiches. Sat out on my back deck for the last hour jabbering away on my amateur radio clubs weekly net. Next up - a bowl of ice cream!
@Haertig , hey old buddy,
REGROUP today and see if it is a better day.
I have to regroup several times every day.

Continue on ....

Jim

Good advice, but we are not a big liberal city where George and his little mask wearing minions can move around unimpeded. We have several community groups out in force "keeping an eye on things" and police & sheriff reserves heavily patrolling the area since yesterday. When the demonstration begins they will all fall back to other parts of town with businesses that could be targeted. The two colleges in town (which are empty) have brought in security teams to assist/supplement their campus police and public safety staff. Many business have hired on additional security as well.

The gun store I go for most of my gun buying needs, has boarded up their windows and will be protected by a sizeable veteran-based motorcycle club, who volunteered to protect any gun shop in town. In a meeting yesterday the city chief of police said he was far more worried about what the club what do to the rioters than the other way around. Several of them look like they could pick up and throw a school bus.

Lets hope they don't set them up for a massacre again. After 2Million Biker DC trip Waco pretty much silenced them. I don't know any bikers personally,don't defend what some of them do but from what I seen at least they don't sit back and watch the naion many of fought go to hell. Some as not good people like the rest of our sociey.

Jim, I'm glad you're getting the right medicines.
Feel better soon.
So far this morning, Strawberry and I have walked around the block twice before I even had coffee.
So far we have walked 2047 steps, hope to hit my goal of 6000 steps today.
My legs were wobbly last night when I finally called a halt to our first day of walks.
But we both slept good for the first time in some time.
Well at least till the dang storm hit again.
I think Strawberry and I will lose a bit of weight with all this walking we're doing.
A new friend is walking Strawberry for an hour each morning.
She wanted to get to know Strawberry before her son met her for the first time this weekend.
He might possibly be her new younger veteran.
The first younger veteran had a few anger issues that need to be addressed before he will get a "Service Dog".
Both the trainer and I stepped in between him and Strawberry to protect Strawberry from his rage.
Just missed 6000 steps yesterday,by 223 steps, but Strawberry got tired and sat down about a half a block from my house.
I was pooped.
Had to carry "PORKY".
Already cooked up several meals for the weekend.
Will be having tortilla veggie pizza for lunch.
While Strawberry's new walking partner was walking her for an hour:
Got the refrig cleaned out, shelves scrubbed.
Got the trash can mess cleaned up again.
Got the front porch swept.
Enjoyed cup of coffee on the front porch this morning.
First in long time.
Cooked,table got cleaned off again.

Jim, I'm glad you're getting the right medicines.
Feel better soon.
So far this morning, Strawberry and I have walked around the block twice before I even had coffee.
So far we have walked 2047 steps, hope to hit my goal of 6000 steps today.
My legs were wobbly last night when I finally called a halt to our first day of walks.
But we both slept good for the first time in some time.
Well at least till the dang storm hit again.
I think Strawberry and I will lose a bit of weight with all this walking we're doing.
A new friend is walking Strawberry for an hour each morning.
She wanted to get to know Strawberry before her son met her for the first time this weekend.
He might possibly be her new younger veteran.
The first younger veteran had a few anger issues that need to be addressed before he will get a "Service Dog".
Both the trainer and I stepped in between him and Strawberry to protect Strawberry from his rage.
Just missed 6000 steps yesterday,by 223 steps, but Strawberry got tired and sat down about a half a block from my house.
I was pooped.
Had to carry "PORKY".
Already cooked up several meals for the weekend.
Will be having tortilla veggie pizza for lunch.
While Strawberry's new walking partner was walking her for an hour:
Got the refrig cleaned out, shelves scrubbed.
Got the trash can mess cleaned up again.
Got the front porch swept.
Enjoyed cup of coffee on the front porch this morning.
First in long time.
Cooked,table got cleaned off again.

Good for you and Straberry aka Porky,lol.MoBook.:great:

Good for you and Straberry aka Porky,lol.MoBook.:great:
Strawberry's Vet., says she's a bit overweight, 10 pounds.
That is what I still want to lose to hit my first goal weight.
Seems like win-win for both of us.
Even if she goes with her new veteran, I will keep walking.
New veteran has house with fenced yard.

Strawberry's Vet., says she's a bit overweight, 10 pounds.
That is what I still want to lose to hit my first goal weight.
Seems like win-win for both of us.
Even if she goes with her new veteran, I will keep walking.
New veteran has house with fenced yard.

Glad and sad for you both. I know yall will miss each other but she will be free ans you will know she has good home. :huggs:

Off to a slow start this morning, But figured I would say.

1591372577815.png

Guess we will be going to that special True Value store, wife needs some skanks.
She is short one for another quilt top.

Then we will stop for lupper (late lunch).

She's gonna drive.
The ENTRESTO med is harsh stuff, had a lousy first night on it.
Hope I adjust to it as the days pass.

Hot and humid today.
Not gonna be outside doing anything.

Tomatoes , peppers, beans , peas , cantaloupe, watermelons are really going strong.
Gonna need water soon.

Jim

Walked, fed dogs, did video. Took cases of canned food to pantry B out back. Made fresh cucumber salad, baked falafel, (and a homemade turkey pot pie for DH), cut up 2 mangoes and that may be it for the day.

The falafel turned out good, but a little salty for me. I followed the recipe, but will leave out salt next time.
Will water gardens tonight as it is 92 today and no rain until Sunday, when we should get plenty!

@Haertig , hey old buddy,
REGROUP today and see if it is a better day.
Much better day today. I thing the regrouping worked. Well actually, my regrouping consisted of totally abandoning any work and going to the range instead. First time in maybe five months. I've definitely lost my precision edge, but still shot OK for having been away from it for so long. It was very good therapy to just have a fun day, no chores. Something about putting holes in paper way down range is just so relaxing for me. Back to the grind TOMORROW.

Sad day. Wife has two inside cats. They are sisters. Wife could tell you to the week, I'd guess more then ten years old. One had a hard time going up and down the stairs and loosing weight. Vet said kidney problems and loosing teeth. Maybe a year at the most. Then the cat fell down the stairs, got up dazed acting like it had a stroke. Back to the vet. Wife had the cat put to sleep. I dug another grave out in wife's pet cemetery.

I went out and did a little plant hunting today, looking for a really good place to harvest elderberry. I didn't find what I was looking for but did find a new plant I'd never seen before... at least I thought so at first. Turns out I had seen it many years ago and it wasn't blooming... quite unusual blooms. Some folks call it swamp lily, other call it lizard tail.

Anyway drove around a bit, thunder clouds came up... Not much of anything today.

Swamp liliy (3) sm.JPG

@Patchouli I love to go plant hunting, finding something new. Thats getting harder and harder to do as the years go by. I thought I'd found something new today, was thrilled! But when I got home it kept nagging at my mind so I went looking through old photos of a scorching hot day up on lookout mtn. A miserable hot day, unusual up on top of the mtn. Sure enough, I found photos of the same plant, just not in bloom. I had forgotten it's name, took me an hour to find it in a plant database... "Saururus cernuus". I found a site that said the latin translation was "Water Dragon"

I'm sure you have a story of how you got started doing plant identification and harvesting, knowing what to do with the plants and how to use them for what ails ya. Did it come by you naturally or did you know someone that was interested in plants and wanted to teach you because you seemed interested? Just very curious how you got into it.
My mom always loved flowers, flowering shrubs, unusual trees, fruiting trees, nut trees, and so on. Her mom loved flower gardens too but would go to places where she could see someone else's hard work. lol It is probably from them that I gained the appreciation I have for plants. My mom enjoyed vegetable gardening too. My dad had some fruit trees too. Maybe these comments belong in the plants thread/forum.

My great grandmother who I never knew was a "healer" in the 1800's. The word herbalist didn't exist then. I grew up on a farm, fishing, hunting, always in nature, always around plants but didn't study them.

Fast forward decades... then... 22 years ago, a debilitating illness, 20% of those with it are super sensitive to anything pharmaceutical. If a med has a side effect I get the side effect, the poster child for side effects.

Slowly at first, I began to find natural things that helped me, no side effects. Then I discovered I have a knack for plants and plant medicine.

Have you considered moving out?
Yeah, but at this point I wouldn't be able to support myself financially due to my health issues & I am her caregiver. She needs me. Plus I love her. She can be a handful at times, but I would worry if I wasn't with her. I know I can't trust my brother to take care of her and my area doesn't really have much in the way of qualified caregivers (at least not ones that won't rob people).

I'm a bit distracted because I found out my best friend's crackhead mother may have exposed me to Covid. She knowingly exposed herself to Covid while going to and cleaning a church that has been shut down for a Covid outbreak. She exposed my friend as well. She didn't tell him until yesterday & he's freaking out. He tried to get his ex to come get their daughter so she wouldn't be exposed but the ex blew him off. She does not care about him or their child. He's informed his work & been told to stay home until he gets test results back. Hopefully it will be negative & won't be a false result. He'll have to be tested once per week. Some of his other co-workers have also been tested. If this cough of mine persists through Monday, I'll call my doctor and see if I need to be tested. I did wear a mask and keep my distance, but his mother asked for a lift without warning me she'd been exposed & she touched a bunch of stuff in my truck that I later touched.

Today is the last day for me to go pickup something I had shipped to the store at HomeDepot. I'll have to send my mother in to get it since I don't want to risk exposing anyone & I'm going to be wearing a mask & making sure to wash my hands & not touch my eyes. Tomorrow there's supposed to be a storm coming through, but I'm hoping it will weaken & that we won't get tornadoes.

Today is going to be crazy. Second youngest daughter has a friend over, our youngest daughter is having a sleepover with two of her school friends she has been missing, and our youngest son is having a playdate here with two of his buddies. So they were be lots of shouting, giggling, running around, faux fighting, and slip-n-slide action. Will remind me of life a few years ago when we had more kids living at home. Will also remind me why I got the big snip snip. I am hoping to keep this whole ordeal outside as much as possible. The entire group is staying for pizza, so the wife is going to make some homemade reduced-carb pizza crust and create a make your own pizza buffet. Fortunately we have two ovens and a very large table.

With any luck I will be able to get in some normal Saturday chores and maintenance projects too. Plus I need to rebuild a pile of handguns magazines due for new springs and followers.

Latest posts

Back